PDA

View Full Version : Starting 40k thinking Tau

Rimmz
01-10-2007, 23:43
OK guys my local store is starting to push 40k to a bunch of Fantasy players heh.

I play Chaos in Fantasy and for a 40k army I would like to do something a little different. I like the mobility factor of the Tau and the insane amounts of shooting. I can read the codex and play theory hammer all day with it but I was hoping I could get a few of you to answer some questions about how things really work vs what theory hammer says. I would like to at least an idea of what I'm going to do before I buy a bunch of models that I will end up not using.

I like the idea of a very mobile all battle suit force is this viable? I am aware that at least a few fire teams are required.

Pulse rifle vs Carbine? I'm thinking a combination of both is the best am I right?

Are Broadside teams enough or should I take a Hammerhead or multiple Seeker Missile Launchers?

Was thinking about equipping most of my Battlesuits with the failsafe detonators for CC defense if needed. Is this a good idea or is there a better way of avoiding CC? Which of course is the best option

Is it better to equip Battlesuit teams with a combination of weapons to deal with infantry and heavies or specialize each team as one or the other?

Cyclic Ion Blaster yea or nay?

Any other general advise that I may have not thought of?

I know this is allot to ask but I am thankful for any time people spend answering :)

GrimWulf
02-10-2007, 00:25
I like the idea of a very mobile all battle suit force is this viable? I am aware that at least a few fire teams are required.

Right you'll need one fire warrior squad mininum for a troops choice, your other can be kroot if you'd like, but I prefer more warriors myself.

Pulse rifle vs Carbine? I'm thinking a combination of both is the best am I right?

The rifle has really done me best, while the carbine does have the range if moving and the chance to pin, with Leadership scores being so high all round 40k you don't end up pinning often enough in my opinion. The 30" rapid fire range of the rifle however is awesome.

Are Broadside teams enough or should I take a Hammerhead or multiple Seeker Missile Launchers?

Why not Broadsides and Hammerheads? :D The Hammerhead using Rail has the added ability of the submunition which is great for bunched up troops, give it a secondary system of SMS and if you lose your main weapon you can find hard cover to hide behind and send missiles out of line of site.

As for seeker's, they're only really beneficial if you have the markerlights.

Was thinking about equipping most of my Battlesuits with the failsafe detonators for CC defense if needed. Is this a good idea or is there a better way of avoiding CC? Which of course is the best option

well only a single of your suits can have the failsafe detonator as it is a special issue only item, and then again you can only choose it if you're a commander, or shas'vre. As far as avoiding CC goes.... jump shoot jump.

Is it better to equip Battlesuit teams with a combination of weapons to deal with infantry and heavies or specialize each team as one or the other?
The typical loadout, or most commonly used, is what's called the fire knife, which is a plasma rifle, missile pod, and multi tracker. This can get you up to 4 shots within 12". 2@S6 and 2@S7.

Good if you know your fighting 3+ save's and nice being cheaper. I prefer the rail due to the fact that if I need to hit multiples at once I can drop the submunition.

Any other general advise that I may have not thought of?
Stay away from CC :) Don't forget to move your skimmers more then 6" each turn. JSJ, stay in/behind cover. Shield drones on broadsides make the unit a even tougher nut to crack, but can make you break sooner. Bonding Knives are practically useless unless you have more then 4 members in your squad, as you'll be making last man standing checks every round anyways. Pathfinders can be good in the right situations but them having to take a Devilfish somewhat hurts.

I know this is allot to ask but I am thankful for any time people spend answering :)

np also see tauonline.org for more tips

greenmtvince
02-10-2007, 00:31
I'll also plug http://www.advancedtautactica.com/ there's a bunch of great articles there for beginners too.

Rimmz
02-10-2007, 23:10
Thanks for the replies guys couple more questions if I may

The Fire Warrior box does it come with bits to make Carbines and Rifles?

So if I were to do 3 man XV8 Teams would it be worth it to give 1 of em a Fusion Blaster instead of a Plasma Rifle/Missile Pod?

What about swapping out a Pod for a TL PR on Broadsides?

I assume the Battle Suit boxes come with all the bits to equip them with everything they can possibly use? They better for 20 bucks each and plastic :P

Kegluneq
02-10-2007, 23:31
Glass hammer, really. Crisis suits are awesome firing platforms (can leap in and out of cover, fire non-overheating plasma and an autocannon at the same time) but are basically MEqs at high cost with an extra wound. With low I and WS, you can easily lose a whole squad after taking a single wound in combat.

Pinning is a bit useless really, and mobile Fire Warrior units don't seem to be that common. The 30" range and rapid fire capabilities of the Pulse Rifle are often more useful. Carbines may be useful in a Honour Guard, especially since they'll be more likely to be mobile and wound more easily.

The mobility of Hammerheads is a big win, and the submunition blast can be very mean. With only broadsides, you risk losing fire lanes easily, wasting railgun shots. Seeker Missiles are a bit lame in my opinion - they use up a markerlight hit that could be put to better use elsewhere, will only launch on a 4+ and still have a chance of missing, albiet quite a low one. All this for something that can bounce off heavy tank armour or kill the Marine standing next to the multiple-wound commander.

Oh gods no, failsafe detonators are a pain to even use, and I think you can only take one anway. You're better off running away very quickly - your Crisis suits will die very very quickly to anything purposemade for combat.

Plasma, Missile pod :p It's really a matter of taste, but bear in mind that equipping one model with close range weaponry and one with long range weaponry will make for a bit of a conflict of interests. Best to experiment within your own metagame really. (Blutac works wonders if you want to try out different weapon options.)

Yeah. It's one of the few weapons that can be nasty against any type of infantry. Just make sure you put it on a BS5 commander, to maximise your chances of 6+ rolls to wound.

I assume the Battle Suit boxes come with all the bits to equip them with everything they can possibly use? They better for 20 bucks each and plastic :P
They come with the five basic weapon options. You'll need the part-metal Commanders to get the (metal) special weapon options, the AFP and the CIB.

The AFP, incidentally, shold never be used on your Commander, it's a waste of his high BS.

GrimWulf
03-10-2007, 00:10
Oops reading Keg's response I realise I thought you had meant the Ion Cannon.

I agree with Keg's comments on the CIB though the strength is low, the ap (even the basic 4) and the 5 shots are nice.

As for your new questions

The Fire Warrior box does it come with bits to make Carbines and Rifles?
If i recal correctly, each sprue comes with one carbine for every 2 rifles, so if you wanted an entire squad worth of carbines you'd need to buy 2 squads.

So if I were to do 3 man XV8 Teams would it be worth it to give 1 of em a Fusion Blaster instead of a Plasma Rifle/Missile Pod?
I'd reccomend not mixing weapon distances like that. You'll want to be close to use the fusion blaster, but Tau don't like being up close. Best to stick a fusion blaster on a Piranha

What about swapping out a Pod for a TL PR on Broadsides?
You dont get a missile pod on the Broadside, you get the SMS. shorter range but 4 shots, same basic strength of your pulse weapons, it's good for just massed shots. As far as the TL PR, it's a combo I haven't tried myself yet as the PR's are for my XV8's. The SMS i find to be more tactical on my XV88's.

$20 bucks each eh? Damn i need to head south for a shopping spree. What Keg said above fits this question.

MysteryGilgamesh
03-10-2007, 00:11
I like the idea of a very mobile all battle suit force is this viable?

Yes. I run 8 Crisis in my standard mobility list, all with Plasma Rifle and Missile Pod.

Pulse rifle vs Carbine?

Rifle by far. Tau are about volume of fire at close range. Carbines lack volume.

Either work well. Railheads are less likey to hit but have mobility and submunitions. Broadsides are all about STR10 hitting all the time and are slow.

Was thinking about equipping most of my Battlesuits with the failsafe detonators for CC defense if needed.

Bad. Waste of points.

demicanadian
03-10-2007, 00:25

Consider Farsight Enclave if you're really really really serious about Crisis Suits. Maybe paint your dudes in Vior'la Sept colors just in case you want to go back to "Loyalist" Space Commies, however.

Broadsides can be effective... can't be shaken, can take invulnerable saves, twin-linked weaponry to re-roll misses. They are virtually a must-have for Farsight Enclave. You do lose the submunition shot & the mobility of a Railhead, however.

Combining Carbines & Pulse Rifles is generally not considered a viable option - you're mixing two different styles of gun. A footslogging Carbine team (perhaps outfitted with EMP grenades) is one of the newer topics on Advanced Tau Tactica, and something that I've been thinking about using. Markerlight hits can also reduce Ldr for Pinning checks, as I recall... not that I've tried using Markerlights to do that.

Check out the Advanced Tau Tactica page (linked earlier)... they have more in-depth discussion about Crisis loadouts beyond the Fireknife suit... Deathrain, Firestorm, Helios, and so on. Fireknife is a great loadout, but you might find that Deathrain or Firestorm might work better in your army composition.

philbrad2
03-10-2007, 00:35
Above all the tactica and model choices you'll seriously have to alter your mode of play, and this can be quite a hard thing to do. I'd see if you can 'borrow' an army or play using a proxy Tau army before deciding on individual
squads and even loadouts. A strong close combat army with good armour require a different set of disciplines on the gaming table to those of a long range, shooty army with little CC ability. You need to think about how you want to structure your army also as even though generically Tau - you can still field a wide variety of themed armies for Tau with different tactical elements. Air cav, massed Firewarriors or Battlesuit heavy all play a certain way and non of them play the same.

PhilB
:chrome:

Rimmz
03-10-2007, 02:20
Thanks for the responses guys so this is what Ive learned from ya so far

Carbines = bad mmmkay (unless you want to try mobile FW Teams)

Hammer Head = better boom than Broadsides
Sub Munition = AOE goodness

Failsafe Detonator = don't bother, you get in combat your dead anyway

Mostly Crisis Suits = Big Punch with a Glass Jaw (this is how I play my Choas BTW :evilgrin: )

Pinning = useless because LD tests are not hard to make

Seekers = PITA to use

That pretty much cover it?

Brother Loki
03-10-2007, 11:15
Hi

Tau armies tend to fall into one of several categories:

Static - This is how people played Tau when they first came out, taking advantage of the long range of their weapons etc. Mostly defensive in posture, a static army is likely to have lots of firewarriors, broadsides etc and sit back and shoot stuff from afar.

MechTau - In a pure mech force everything is either in a skimmer, or has a jetpack. Crisis suits, firewarriors in devilfish, pirhanas, crisis and stealth teams. Excellent mobility allows them to defeat the enemy in detail and capture objectives. Also good victory point preservation.

Hybrid - A mix of the above 2 - usually a static firebase with mobile elements for objective grabbing, flanking etc.

Mobile Infantry - very 'starship troopers' (the book not the film) - this is the battlesuit heavy style typified by the Farsight enclave. Everything is done 'on the bounce' with jump shoot jump. Lots of crisis, stealth and broadsides, with probably only minimal firewarriors.

From the sounds of it you mostly like the idea of MechTau or Mobile Infantry.

I second the above recommendations for the Advanced Tau Tactica forums. Have a look at their Academy articles for beginners and previous threads before asking too may questions though - there's a wealth of compiled information there, and some of the mods get ireate with people who are the gazillionth person to ask a question that's already covered in an article or FAQ.

Also depending on what you decide to go for, check out the new Apocalypse Interdiction and Rapid deployment boxed sets for some good deals on suits. There are various tutorials on ATT for magnetising your suits and tanks so you can freely swap weapons etc. (You can have the same vehicle swappable between a devilfish, a skyray and a hammerhead.) Never buy a hammerhead on its own, as the skyray kit contains all the sprues to make a skyray and a hammerhead for the same price.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Pete

Morpholine
03-10-2007, 14:16
One piece of advice I have for you if starting Tau:

Invest in some small rare-earth magnets and magnetize your suits hardpoints and weapons. This will save you from having to buy a model every time you want to run a different configuration.