PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Army Creation

Theadium
02-09-2005, 18:51
Alright, need hardcore eldar people's advise. Tomarrow, I am going on a spree, I have $140 to buy and eldar army and a codex, so around $125. I get a Guardian Squad FREE! So, What in gods name should I get? Should I be cheesy and go with the Avatar or get a Farseer. I am an experianced Ulthwe' player and wish not to go down the same path. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

warwizard_99
02-09-2005, 19:21
I don't think the Avatar is cheesy. Underpriced - yes. Cheesy, no. He is a Very cheap MC that can do multi-wounds in combat, has good Toughness, and makes Eldar fearless - so every eldar player I've ever faced fields one.

As for the rest, if you are going Ulthwe, that answers your question. Black Guardians, Warlocks, and fire support...

Theadium
02-09-2005, 19:24
So I should use the avatar? Wont my army be lacking cause I dont have the Farseer? I dont wanna go Ulthwe, I want to have a vanilla eldar army...

Theadium
02-09-2005, 19:44
This is what I have so far... A farseer($10), 2 warlocks($16), a Falcon + Guardian combo ($50), 4 Warp Spiders and Exarch ($50), and a codex ($20). That plus tax gives me $154.76... I was thinking maybe I drop the Falcon Guardian combo and just get a vyper, and maybe a war walker, that would save me $10... I dunno... The army list so far comes like 44 points from 1k... :cries: Once again, any help is appreciated...

Kyuss
02-09-2005, 20:08
Buy a load of aspect warriors, and some rangers for change of style/tactics once in a while. Use the with your ulthwe to have biel-tan/alatioc/vanilla lists.

Don't waste the models you've already got!

Kyuss

Theadium
02-09-2005, 20:16
lol, I got sick of Ulthwe, so traded them away for necrons, wish I never have... Anyway, I am thinking 5 Warp Spiders. I have a pretty good list going, 2 vypers, 1 warwalker, 1 farseer, 5 warp spiders, 16 guardians IN ALL, and a warlock with them. 26 models in 1000 points scares me, I dont know what to exchange. Should I take out the Warwalker and 1 vyper to get me another defender squad and a warlock? I dont know what I am to do... Maybe I should just get the Battle box and maybe 4 warp spiders and a farseer... But then I dont get any warlocks. As you can see I dont know what I am going to do. Basically its like this, I can say screw the codex and maybe get it from a friend, and get an extra $20... Anyone please help!!!

ObiWan
02-09-2005, 22:31
I'd go for the farseer instead of the Avatar, it usually won't reach the enemy lines due to bad armor and slowness; the avatar is way more flexible, but if by not going Ulthwe you mean you don't want psyker... well then get the Avatar, and get a Court of the Young King to be really different! :p

Theadium
02-09-2005, 23:28
Court of the Young King sounds neat, but not the way I want to aim. Basically by not Ulthwe, I mean 1 psyker that aids others, not one that has the spotlight. So crazily enough, I changed my mind again, Im thinking a battlebox, maybe 2 warlocks, and like 4 warpspiders... Hopefully I'll have enough for it! I dont know though... Any help?

sigur
03-09-2005, 00:29
First you need to get Codex Craftworlds and Codex Eldar if you don't own them yet. Then you need a seer council if you want to play the Ulthwé list. From Codex Craftworlds (from your description it seems like you don't want an Ulthwé strike force). The seer council is mandatory, as are 2 squads of Guardians including weapon platforms or storm guardians (I'd go for the Guardian defenders at the beginning), preferably more. A squad of aspect warriors. I'd suggest either Skorpions or Banshees, whichever unit you like better. I would go for Scorpions as they can become nasty against most enemies.

Last but not least you should get a Falcon or a Serpent. I would go for the Falcon, as these beasts are very hard to get down (ALWAYS buy holofields for the Falcon) and can still transport small squads.

Have fun with your Eldar. They can be extremely deadly and extremely beautiful. Two characteristics which make an army sweeter than pie. Oh, and they have fantastic background. Try to get hold or at least flip through a 2nd edition Codex Eldar once.

Theadium
03-09-2005, 03:00
First you need to get Codex Craftworlds and Codex Eldar if you don't own them yet. Then you need a seer council if you want to play the Ulthwé list. From Codex Craftworlds (from your description it seems like you don't want an Ulthwé strike force). The seer council is mandatory, as are 2 squads of Guardians including weapon platforms or storm guardians (I'd go for the Guardian defenders at the beginning), preferably more. A squad of aspect warriors. I'd suggest either Skorpions or Banshees, whichever unit you like better. I would go for Scorpions as they can become nasty against most enemies.

Last but not least you should get a Falcon or a Serpent. I would go for the Falcon, as these beasts are very hard to get down (ALWAYS buy holofields for the Falcon) and can still transport small squads.

Have fun with your Eldar. They can be extremely deadly and extremely beautiful. Two characteristics which make an army sweeter than pie. Oh, and they have fantastic background. Try to get hold or at least flip through a 2nd edition Codex Eldar once.
I already was Ulthwe, I just wanna be a vanilla eldar army right now. I found a website that gave me most of the background. Its the background that I love about them. Slanneesh started claiming them, so they created the spirit stones, I love thier fluff. But anyway, Im thinking of going Vanilla eldar, with 36 guardians just for bodies, 5 warp spiders, falcon, vyper, farseer, maybe even some bikes (since Im buying the starter set, for $100, just the falcon, vyper, and the guardians would have made me happy)... Anyway, I might get some warlocks, if I have the money, I know how crucial they are, but I think with so many wounds, I may be able to get away with only one... :confused: I dunno, a squad in the front has the warlock, the squad behind has none. Basically my whole plan is have the army advance FAST using cover, (which is horrible since I have barely any terrain at my house) and pop out guns ablaze. As I found out with my previous army, Guardians are guardsmen in assault, just they cost 2 points more... SO! My Warpspiders are gonna mimic the freshest race and pull a whole "XV-15" on everyone! HA! The Vyper and Falcon are gonna do what eldar vehicles do best, make everyone want them served on a platter, Christiline Targeting Matrix is key here! :evilgrin: The farseer is gonna be the glue, hes gonna make sure my guardians are safe and help them shoot (another thing I have learned, eldar are almost exactly like guardsmen when shooting, except they cost more, have a fairly better gun, but get no big guns! Well you can, but that screws everyone else up! No fleet of foot= :cries: )
So! Anything else I should know about???

The Orange
03-09-2005, 05:54
An eldar battle force for $100 is a good deal, so I'd take that. Beyond that if your gonna take Warp Spiders just get 6 of them, you need a mimimum of 5, and the exerch isent really worth it. And id choose the farseer and 2 warlock over the avater. With such a basic army I dont think the Avater helps it too much.
Im not sure you can afford all of that, are you paying retail for most everything? If you get the army box it seems like your only left with $25 which in itself is barely enough to cover the codex and tax, in fact it probably wont cover tax.

warmasterbubba
03-09-2005, 07:10
I ran a biel-tan army and always used the avatar over the fraseer. then agian a swordwind army is alot tougher than your run of the mill eldar army. i like the list you had in your 3rd post i belive it was. nice starter force.

Theadium
05-09-2005, 23:03
Alright, this is what I got...
(1) Warhammer Fantasy Necronmancer (Farseer, didnt have any real ones)
(16) Eldar Guardians
(8) Dire Avengers
(4) Warp Spiders
(1) Warp Spider Exarch
(1) Wave Serpent
(1) War Walker

This army took alittle bit of time to get used to. Eventually I converted a Guardain to a Warlock so they got a cover save. I now have the swing of it. This list comes out to like around 950 some odd points... Anything I should get next? I was thinking of becoming Biel-Tan, so I want to buy some Dark Reapers, Quickly followed by another guardian squad. Anyway, anything I should know about? Thanks all

Malakai
05-09-2005, 23:51
Get some close combat troops. I prefer Striking Scorpians, but some people prefer Banshees. Actually having both in your arsonal wouldn't be a bad thing. Remember that guardians are elite in a Biel-Tan list so choose wisely. Dark Reapers are good against marines, but because of their high points value they're usually amongst the first to go.

And get a proper HQ model :p

Malakai