PDA

View Full Version : New Rugby Season

Odin
02-09-2005, 20:17
I know there are some rugby fans lurking around Warseer. I just wanted to have a general thread to discuss the new season. That'll include the celtic teams as well as the Guinness Premiership.

At this stage all we've really got is predictions - who'll finish in the GP top four and qualify for the playoffs? Who'll be struggling to avoid relegation? And who will manage to win the Premiership Final (OK, that one is easy - up the Wasps!).

Might as well bung any international musings on here too.

Anyway. My predictions - top 4 pretty predictable:

Wasps (well, admittedly I am biased, but although the first few months without Dallaglio and Lewsey will be tough)

Leicester (will also find it harder without Back and Johnson, but there's more than enough quality players to keep them right at the top).

Sale

Gloucester/Saracens - harder to call 4th place, but I think they've both made some good signings this year.

Inquis. Jaeger
02-09-2005, 20:28
Wey Rugby. Come on you Ospreys. Don't care about the English league, although Bristol Bath will be a bit of a dust up

Odin
02-09-2005, 20:35
Never realised you were Welsh Jaeger.

You've got a nasty draw in the Heineken Cup (a bit like Wasps' last year!) - Leicester, Stade de France and Clermont Auvergne. Still, good luck - I'd love to see Ospreys beat Leicester.

Odin
13-09-2005, 19:58
I didn't really expect this thread to do much business so early in the season, but things have started moving a bit more now. Of course the most unexpected is the fact that Bristol, having only just been promoted, are temporarily top of the table. Of course, this may have something to do with the fact that Wasps and Leicester played each other to a draw on Saturday, but I'm still damn impressed with Bristol's determination to succeed. Any Bristol fans out there?

chaos god
14-09-2005, 02:31
Im not quite sure what type of rugby your talking about here. But I watch both types and play both types. I live in Australia so i watch the NRL(National Rugby League) and the Rugby Union. I back New Zealand, and im pretty happy with how they've played this season so far. Winning the Tri-Nations and Bledisloe Cups against Australia and South Africa and beating England and the British Lions.

Odin
14-09-2005, 11:22
I'm talking about Rugby Union, not that silly league nonsense! ;)

The new season has just begun here, but I guess you're in the latter stages in NZ. And yes, you've done OK. When did you beat England though?

chaos god
14-09-2005, 11:27
I remember beating them last time we played. Im not quite sure when that was sorry.:) And yes Rugby Union is by far the better game. But I cant help watching some of the League, its every where in Australia.(I live Australia but was born in NZ).

sparks
14-09-2005, 13:39
i want to know what's happening to bath already? 2 losses from 2?! and one to bristol?! as far as omens go, it's not a great one :(

Odin
10-10-2005, 11:35
Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

Who's been watching the Powergen Cup then (well, the matches the BBC can be bothered to show anyway)?

Scarlets vs Newcastle was a rather good game I thought. Despite being English I wanted the Scarlets to win though - just cos Rob Andrew is such a pillock. He's started whingeing already.