PDA

View Full Version : Any HH books going to be told from the Rebel perspective?

jfrazell
02-10-2007, 14:05
So, with the caveat that I am still in process reading Fulgrim, is it just me or is there a desire to see one of these HHH books from the perspective of the rebels? Frankly the same tale from the "good guy's" perspective is getting dull. What I enjoyed from Horus Rising dealt with Horus himself.

The fall of Man is one of the greatest stories. I would like a detailed intelligent work on that. Give me a story about why the marines fell, not from the perspective of the good guys, but from the viewpoint of the players themselves. It has to go beyond “I’m grr grr angry I think I’ll rebel now.”

Light of the Emperor
02-10-2007, 14:06
There has been talk of Graham McNeill and Dan Abnett writing two HH books on the same event, but from different perspectives.

Free Spirit
02-10-2007, 14:14
One one side i hope so but on the other... how many more HH books are they gonna publish. When this continues it's gonna be a never ending story 'setting'. The latest i checked was '9 books':
first trilogy, 3 'filler' books ( Eisenstein, Fulgrim, Decent of Angels ) and the closure trilogy ( Legion, ..., ... ).

Urza
02-10-2007, 14:20
So, with the caveat that I am still in process reading Fulgrim, is it just me or is there a desire to see one of these HHH books from the perspective of the rebels? Frankly the same tale from the "good guy's" perspective is getting dull. What I enjoyed from Horus Rising dealt with Horus himself.

The fall of Man is one of the greatest stories. I would like a detailed intelligent work on that. Give me a story about why the marines fell, not from the perspective of the good guys, but from the viewpoint of the players themselves. It has to go beyond Im grr grr angry I think Ill rebel now.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here.

Fulgrim was written from the perspective of multiple characters, including that of Fulgrim himself. We get to read about his changes - both physical and mental - from the point where they defeat the Laer, so his "fall" was definitely represented.

In addition the tales of both Fabius Bile and Lucius the Eternal began to unfold in its pages. The reasons behind the fall of the Emperor's Children, and the creation of the Noise Marines is also described.

If you think that Fulgrim was only told from the perspective of the heroes, then you can't have read the book properly.

Urza
02-10-2007, 14:24
One one side i hope so but on the other... how many more HH books are they gonna publish. When this continues it's gonna be a never ending story 'setting'. The latest i checked was '9 books':
first trilogy, 3 'filler' books ( Eisenstein, Fulgrim, Decent of Angels ) and the closure trilogy ( Legion, ..., ... ).

I think there is going to be more than that. It looks like there will be one book for each of the original Legions.

1) Opening trilogy: The fall of Horus: Lunar Wolves/Sons of Horus
2) The Crusade for Earth: Most of the other legions (Death Guard, Emperor's Children, Dark Angels, Alpha Legion etc)
3) Closing Trilory: The Battle for Terra: Imperial Fists or Adeptus Custodes.

I think we're looking at around 20 - 25 books.

jfrazell
02-10-2007, 14:31
I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here.

Fulgrim was written from the perspective of multiple characters, including that of Fulgrim himself. We get to read about his changes - both physical and mental - from the point where they defeat the Laer, so his "fall" was definitely represented.

In addition the tales of both Fabius Bile and Lucius the Eternal began to unfold in its pages. The reasons behind the fall of the Emperor's Children, and the creation of the Noise Marines is also described.

If you think that Fulgrim was only told from the perspective of the heroes, then you can't have read the book properly.

As I noted, I am still reading that one.

Free Spirit
02-10-2007, 14:32
I think there is going to be more than that. It looks like there will be one book for each of the original Legions.

1) Opening trilogy: The fall of Horus: Lunar Wolves/Sons of Horus
2) The Crusade for Earth: Most of the other legions (Death Guard, Emperor's Children, Dark Angels, Alpha Legion etc)
3) Closing Trilory: The Battle for Terra: Imperial Fists or Adeptus Custodes.

I think we're looking at around 20 - 25 books.

Dayummmmm ;) Well i have to add a new bookshelf then.

Light of the Emperor
02-10-2007, 14:34
I think the HH series will go on for quite some time seeing how popular it has become. They definately seem to be covering every legion, plus the Imperial Army and the Mechanicum. The closing trilogy seems to be a long ways away considering they release 3-4 books a year.

pookie
02-10-2007, 15:37
i would think Legion will be purley from a traitors PoV.

Quentin
02-10-2007, 15:40
I'd like to see a book dealing with those forces involved in the Heresy other than the Traitor and Loyalist SM's. The Imperial Army, for instance.

Progena
02-10-2007, 15:45
I'd like to see a book dealing with those forces involved in the Heresy other than the Traitor and Loyalist SM's. The Imperial Army, for instance.

Legion apparently, will be Alpha Legion and Imperial Army. You won't have to wait too long for that.

Quentin
02-10-2007, 15:48
Oh good. Alpha Legion and Imperial Army are pretty natural I suppose, since the AL tend to plant the seeds of dissent and rebellion.

Kegluneq
02-10-2007, 17:31
Descent of Angels Spoiler:
The book is told from the perspective of one of the Dark Angels who eventually is left on Caliban with Luther, along with many of the other main characters.

jfrazell
02-10-2007, 20:53
cool Kegluneq

Light of the Emperor
02-10-2007, 21:06
That makes me look forward to the book even more. Awesome.

My real hope is to have a book with the Emperor actually talking...but that's a thread for another day.

Kegluneq
02-10-2007, 22:12

My real hope is to have a book with the Emperor actually talking...but that's a thread for another day.

Ooops. Just to clarify -
This doesn't actually happen until the very very ending of the book. Nothing of the events after the split are covered, unfortunately.

And the Emperor does actually talk in this one. He's a supportive sort of chap, but dedicated to maintaining harmony in the fleet, as the context of his appearence demonstrates.

Alessander
02-10-2007, 22:20
Everyone's a good guy from their own perspective. Horus, the Emperor, Osama Bin Laden and Napoleon all believe(d) their purpose was the correct one worth fighting for.

I remember reading some LotR background (way before GW got the rights) that the Orc definition of "good" and "evil" were the exact same as the Alliance, but the orcs concidered themselves good and the alliance evil. Perspective is interesting.

Feor
02-10-2007, 22:29
I don't think they need a book for each Legion. Since alot of the Legions' stories are interlinked. For example, a single book could cover the majority of the Word Bearer's and Ultramarines activities during the heresy, since they spent most of the thing fighting each other. And after Fulgrim, there's not really a whole lot left to tell about the Iron Hands.

Freak Ona Leash
02-10-2007, 23:26
I don't think they need a book for each Legion. Since alot of the Legions' stories are interlinked. For example, a single book could cover the majority of the Word Bearer's and Ultramarines activities during the heresy, since they spent most of the thing fighting each other. And after Fulgrim, there's not really a whole lot left to tell about the Iron Hands.
Or the Raven Guard...or the Salamanders...

Well, I suppose you could talk about Corax screwing his legion over and Vulkan...I dunno...

Maybe capping some crackah Traitors dat was in his 'hood.

Homie. Yep, Vulkan says homie, you know it;s true.

Urza
03-10-2007, 12:13
As I noted, I am still reading that one.

Apologies dude, for some insane reason I thought you said you had finished it.. I blame it on a lack of sleep and the warping forces of Granfather Nurgle! :D

Smishkun
03-10-2007, 18:36
The way they have been doing the HH books so far, I dont think they will be doing a book per legion, more of a book per important event(and more books for the big events, i.e. the 3 books for horus fall, at least 3 for the battle for terra no doubt).

So they will probably do a book for the Word Bearers v. Ultramarines, 1 or 2 for the Space wolves and prospero. Something along those lines.

Were still probably looking at 1-2 dozen books. Which is fine with me, as long as the battle for terra is epic(which I know it will be).

thorgrim
03-10-2007, 19:00
There has been talk of Graham McNeill and Dan Abnett writing two HH books on the same event, but from different perspectives.

This might be the little book that was available at GD UK that consited as 2 short stories. But I am hoping that this is done for the Space wolves v Thosand sons book as that story in particular lends itself to being told from both sides.

- Deathwing -
03-10-2007, 19:13
i would think Legion will be purley from a traitors PoV.

I don't think so. There is something written about the content on the BL page: http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60100181060&type=Book

Damien 1427
03-10-2007, 19:47
I was thinking an Iron Warriors book based around a core cast of traitors who see the Terran-born Loyalists as the real traitors, and portrayed as such (Arrogant jackasses) whilst the heretics are likeable, noble and intelligent (Perhaps younger versions of Forrix and Koreger, before the former became jaded beyond words and the latter descended into insanity).

Just, you know, a reversal of the current trend - The heretics being the bastards, the loyalists having the sun shining forth from their crotch-plates.

Daemonslave
03-10-2007, 20:10

Then you should have a read of the short HH story, the Lightning Tower. Not much of him, but he does speak.

Kegluneq
03-10-2007, 20:44
I was thinking an Iron Warriors book based around a core cast of traitors who see the Terran-born Loyalists as the real traitors, and portrayed as such (Arrogant jackasses) whilst the heretics are likeable, noble and intelligent (Perhaps younger versions of Forrix and Koreger, before the former became jaded beyond words and the latter descended into insanity).

DoA spoiler:
You just described Descent of Angels, which does exactly that with the Fallen. All the characters left with Luther are sympathetic; the Lion takes the ******* with him.