PDA

View Full Version : The noobiest of noob questions

Maynard
02-10-2007, 20:47
How many spells can Balthasar Gelt cast per turn and why please explain. Magic confuses me a bit and I've never played before :confused:

Cheers Warseer :D

Festus
02-10-2007, 21:02
Hi

He can cast 6 spells per turn (provided he finds the power) as he knows all the spels of his lore - and can attempt to cast each spell once per turn ... as is normal for mages. It is just that he knows two spells more than ordinary 4th level mages.

FEstus

Kal Taron
02-10-2007, 21:05
As many as he can achieve with his power dice. And each spell only once.
He may use the two dice of you pool and all the dice he generates himself. (4 I believe.) I don`t recall the Empire to have items that grant power dice so no help there. But wait, there is one item to store power or dispell dice right? You could use that to get a few more dice.

Keller
02-10-2007, 21:06
He can cast as many spells as you have dice for. Balthazar is a lvl 4 wizard, and thus adds 2 dice to your power pool. In addition to this, you always (under most scenarios anyway) get 2 common powerdice with which to cast. Unless you gain additional power dice from another source, such as the Rod of Power, you will generally have 6 dice that Balthazar can use.

Balthazar has the special rule that he knows all 6 spells of the lore, where as lvl 4 wizards generally know 4 spells (1 per level). You can never cast a the same spell twice in a turn from the same wizard, so you could cast a maximum of 6 (assuming you had enough dice to do it).

With the limitation of only 6 dice, you can cast about 3 or 4 spells. Since Balthazar gets a +2 to cast, you can try to cast the first two spells (5+ and 6+) with only one dice, though you are not certain to get them. That leaves 4 dice to spend on other spells, which require 8+ or 12+ to cast, so you may want to throw more than just 2 dice at them (a max of 4).

So, to sum it up, you can expect to attempt 3 or 4 spells per turn, if you don't intend to use your 2 basic dice on another wizard (who would then be stuck with whatever dice he generates.)

I hope that helps.

theunwantedbeing
02-10-2007, 21:18
Looks a like like you dont understand how the magic phase works.
Reading the magic section of your rulebook a few times will solve that problem.
Page 104 of the rulebook

Although Keller seems to have explained most of it.

Lorcryst
02-10-2007, 21:23
@Keller : Erm, I think that a lvl 4 wizard generates 4 power dice and 2 dispell dice ... and you even use the correct number of dice in the rest of your explanation ...

theunwantedbeing
02-10-2007, 21:27
He was clearly thinking about how many dispel dice he would generate.

Kal Taron
02-10-2007, 21:35
And you may use Level+1 power dice if I`m not mistaken. So Balthasar may use 5 per spell. Would be a bit risky though.

Maynard
02-10-2007, 22:27
And you may use Level+1 power dice if I`m not mistaken. So Balthasar may use 5 per spell. Would be a bit risky though.

And sillly! He gets +2 to all casting anyway

Thanks guys that helps a lot :D

T10
02-10-2007, 22:43
How many spells can Balthasar Gelt cast per turn and why please explain. Magic confuses me a bit and I've never played before :confused:

Cheers Warseer :D

While I can understand your enthusiasm, I suggest starting with smaller battles in order to get the feel of the game. You don't have to start out with 10 000 points and use everything in the army book.

-T10