PDA

View Full Version : 2250pts dwarfs

gazpage
02-10-2007, 21:50
Any thoughts much appreciated. I like infantry rather than shooty dwarf lists, but want to be sure I have enough firepower to bring the enemy to me.

Dwarf Lord, General, Great Weapon, Shieldbearers, Master Rune of Steel, Rune of Resistance, Rune of Stone; 281pts

Thane, BSB, Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Resistance; 140pts

Runesmith, Great Weapon, Shield, Master Rune of Balance, Rune of Spellbreaking; 151 pts

Thane, Master Rune of Swiftness, Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Fury, Rune of Stone; 140pts

22 Longbeards, Full Command, Shield; 289pts

22 Longbeards, Full Command, Shield, Rune of Battle; 314pts

22 Warriors, Full Command, Shield; 223pts

10 Thunderers, Shield; 150pts

10 Quarellers, Shield; 120pts

19 Hammerers, Full Command, Shield, Rune of Determination; 297pts

Bolt Thrower, Engineer; 60pts

Bolt Thrower, Engineer, Rune of Penetrating; 85pts

Many thanks in advance

gaz

gazpage
04-10-2007, 20:22
No one at all?

theDarkGeneral
05-10-2007, 18:10
Sometimes it's ruff on these boards gazpage...here's my thoughts though...

*Dwarf Lord: Ok...but no Ward Save could be deadly...

*Dwarf BSB: Ok...

*Dwarf Runesmith: Ok...very typical but good build.

*Dwarf Thane: Ok...again very typical/normal good build.

*Longbeards: Good, but Rune of Stocism helps prevent issues with Fear causers...

*Warriors: Ok...I tend to bring a smaller unit, but Dwarfs are just plain tough.

*Thunderers: Ok...a Musician can make the difference in closely fought combats and Rallying.

*Quarellers: Ok...same as above.

*Hammerers: Great unit!

*Bolt Throwers: Good, one should be Rune of Penetrating and Rune of Burning...

Hope this helps!

gazpage
06-10-2007, 12:20
Thanks for that. Very helpful.

Your point on the lord is one I was just thinking about. I think the lord is expensive enough as it is, so I am really down to whether to switch the rune of steel for a rune of spite.

I am pretty new, but what I have often seen are orc or chaos lords hittng at strength 7. Assuming one of these guys hits me then the chances of being wounded are (wound x armour x ward).

Steel: 1/2 x (1/3 x 1/3) x 1 = 1/18
Spite: 5/6 x (2/3 x 2/3) x1/2 = 5/27

Therefore way more likely to get hurt with Spite. Obviously, Steel provides no benefits for <5 strength, but I'm pretty safe from that anyway as shown above in the Steel case.

The only real time Steel is worse than spite is from auto wound / no armour save weapons. I am a new player, but I have not seen people use these weapons much at all. Would appreciate any thoughts from more experienced players.

gaz

theDarkGeneral
07-10-2007, 18:25
From getting sniped by enemy Cannon Balls, Stone Throwers, nasty Magic, and the sleuth of No Armor Save Magical Weapons out there, a Ward Save is much more useful and reliable then Armor Saves. You only have to fail 1 Look Out Sir! roll to start to sweat when it comes time to roll for wounding and the number of Wounds...

gazpage
08-10-2007, 09:50
I'm really new to warhammer, so I'm just trying to understand, and not be a smartarse, but for a cannon ball hit aren't the odds of being wounded once you've been hit like this:

(Wound x armour save x ward save)

Steel: 1/2 x 1 x 1 = 1/2
Spite: 5/6 x 1 x 1/2 = 5/12

5/12 is very close to 1/2, so certainly not that different to be worried about. Agree with you that against armour ignoring weapons spite is much better. Do you see them very often? Could you estimate a %?

Really appreciate your input.
gaz

BigRob
08-10-2007, 13:05
I always plan for if its going to happen it will rather than working out the percentages (plus my maths is very poor despite doing it at degree level!)

I wouldnt worry to much about cannon sniping as it not cricket, and hopefully your opponent will be more scared by the other targets. Go Dwarf Infantry horde!

Nothing much to say apart from try and squeeze the penetrating/burning combo on the second bolt thrower, more strength to bust chariots and the flames really help if your playing Tomb Kings or Wood Elves. I've never seen much from the Master Rune of Balance, but try it. I'm guessing your using the missile troops as support/flankers when things get personal hence the shield upgrade?

gazpage
08-10-2007, 14:06
Ok, thanks again. I went back to rejigger my Lord to give him Master Rune of Spite. However, I just realised that both Spite and Challenge are talismanic and I therefore can't have both master runes on one item.

The first couple of games I played, everyone just ignored my lord unit until I gave him Challenge, so I'm not keen to dump it. I don't see it worth the points to get a 5+ ward save as I would inevitably not make it when it came to the crunch.

I plan to use the missile troops to hose anyone who attempts to flank, and just maybe flank an enemy unit if the opportunity arose. I'd probably use the shields even if I was planning to keep them out of the way as it just makes them so much better (4+ save rather than 6+ save) for 1pt.