PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Rackham miniatures.

Belerophon709
02-10-2007, 22:24
Hey!

I'm looking to expand my WHFB-collection with some more "exotic" models than the usual GW-stuff.

I had a look at some of Rackham's minis and I liked what I saw, but I can't find any details regarding the size of the models.

So I'm wondering, are they in the same scale as regular GW-minis or are they more like Forgeworld minis? I wouldn't want to dish out my (very) hard earned cash for something that wouldn't fit into my existing collection size-wise.

Any info or links are appreciated.

Thanks,

Belerophon

grimkeeper
02-10-2007, 22:54
Rackhams minis in my experiance are quite a bit smaller than the average GW minis,more LOTR .Wolfen are on a par with Ogres.they are also quite thin and easily damaged

Cherrystone
02-10-2007, 23:20
Depends on the race, dwarfs are larger scale but humans tend to be more relistic in size and proportion. Most of the mini's are fantastic in detail and pose, and you should be able to get them from 50-75% off as Rackham (if they survive) are going to PPP and wont be re-stocking their current metal line of miniatures.

Agamemnon2
03-10-2007, 09:35
A lot of my Confrontation human minis are actually significantly taller than Warhammer humans, actually. They're also very thin indeed (Cadw Undertakers, for example).

Archaon
03-10-2007, 11:38
Confrontation miniatures are on general a bit taller, at least half a head if not more.

Additionally i'd be really careful what miniatures you use. What i mean by this is that their figs tend to have delicate parts sometimes and the contact area between the parts is extremely small.

Back when i was playing Chaos i bought 10 of the "evil" Dwarfs mutants with Wings since they looked awesome.
Well.. i quickly sobered up because those wings just wouldn't stay glued to the back. I tried every kind of glue i knew up to 2 part epoxy and thw wings would still fall off easily if the miniature was handled or stored improperly.
Pinning with small bits of wire was also impossible because the wings were too delicate.

However other figures won't have this problem, especially those cast in one piece but beware.. Rackham uses a softer metal on their miniatures so they bend a bit easier than GWs white metal.

Belerophon709
04-10-2007, 22:30
The miniatures I was mostly thinking about were the minotaur-minis actually. How big are they in comparison with GW ones?

WLBjork
04-10-2007, 23:11
Better get them quickly if you decide on them- Rackham (http://warseer.com/forums/science-fiction-and-fantasy-games/101235-rackham-shares-trading-suspended.html?highlight=rackham) are having cash flow problems at the moment.

grickherder
04-10-2007, 23:57
And the reason for their cash flow problems is switching to prepainted figures when they spent years making their reputation as a premium high ticket metal miniature provider targeting painting connoisseurs. I understand launching AT-43 as a completely separate game, but doing Confrontation in pre-paints? Way to alienate your customer base by giving them the exact opposite of what they want.

Ethlorien
05-10-2007, 01:39
That's the problem; their customer base wasn't enough. At-43 is very popular in America, but doing poor sales around the world. Confrontation, on the other hand, I think was just doing poor sales period. Personally, I love their miniatures and was sorry to hear they would be switching to PPP. Unfortunately, as AT-43 is their money maker now, they seem to be inclined to turn their fantasy game into the same platform. They want to be a gaming company, not a hobby company.
But to answer Belerophon: they're a touch taller then GW models, but near enough as doesn't matter. I'd send you some pictures of my Warhammer armies w/ Rackham characters as heroes but unfortunately my camera is on the fritz.

Belerophon709
05-10-2007, 08:36
Thanks for the offer Ethlorien :)

Anyone else got pics of some Rackhams in comparison to GWs?

Belerophon

gjnoronh
05-10-2007, 13:06
The only other concern I'd raise is it appears there is lead in Rackham miniatures - I'm not a fan of lead poisoning

http://infinityanalog.com/confrontationinvasion/showcase/

http://warwaters.infinityanalog.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=b0e7bd6323efb04c338e317d1a30fe ac&board=8;topic=20.1#msg27

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=85806

Gazak Blacktoof
05-10-2007, 18:44
Don't eat them then... :eyebrows:

A neutral shade of black.
05-10-2007, 20:44
Rackhams minis in my experiance are quite a bit smaller than the average GW minis,more LOTR

I want some of whatever you're smoking.

Confrontation models are 32mm in scale. That means the average humanoid is 32mm from the base of the feet to the eyes. Wolfen are obviously taller, and stuff like familiars are obviously smaller.

They don't fit in very well with GW rank and file, but they make decent character models if you don't mine the style differences.

The only other concern I'd raise is it appears there is lead in Rackham miniatures - I'm not a fan of lead poisoning

Rackham's metal models are known to be a lot more brittle than GW models. According to the TMP link you posted, that means they contain less lead than GW minis.

Grizzled
05-10-2007, 23:49
Attached is a reference picture.

On the left is an old HE archer, on the right a Khorne Berzerker, and in the middle a Rackham Paladin of Alahan (human). You can see that the Rackham models have different proportions, they are in a similar scale but skinnier and taller.

DeerHeart
06-10-2007, 03:20
For size comparisons, check this out:
http://www.wegotgame.net/jen/scale.html

gjnoronh
14-10-2007, 15:25
Don't eat them then... :eyebrows:

Or file a flash imperfection off of them, or drill them to pin a joint on a conversion, etc. . . .

I may not _plan_ to eat a neurotoxin. . . but that doesn't mean I'm going to choose to work/play with it when there are safer alternatives.

Pokpoko
14-10-2007, 15:33
well, if you decide to fille or drill a cubic tonne of them. seriously, oxygen is also harmful you know?:D:D

The Old Scholar
15-10-2007, 01:36
The minotaurs would work well.
The bases for the figures I have are a bit higher than the standard GW base.
Yes, they tend to be taller and thinner.

Just an aside: Confrontation is so-so as far as a game. I've collected a ton of the models: Griffon, Lions, Kelts, Elves. I think the game/company is having problems due to the fact that their game is slow and burdened with far too many flaws. Dogs of War offered some personalization, but the fact that the game centered around cards rather than functional game system many players never picked up on it. Too bad, the fellas from France and Paolo Parente--where's he from--are really talented and made some great models and wondrous illustrations respectivly. I'm sad to hear they're having trouble.
I think pre-painted models are butt. HeroClix...blerk!!!

Ethlorien
15-10-2007, 01:46
Confrontation is so-so as far as a game. I've collected a ton of the models: Griffon, Lions, Kelts, Elves. I think the game/company is having problems due to the fact that their game is slow and burdened with far too many flaws. Dogs of War offered some personalization, but the fact that the game centered around cards rather than functional game system many players never picked up on it. Too bad, the fellas from France and Paolo Parente--where's he from--are really talented and made some great models and wondrous illustrations respectivly.

I totally agree. I played a small game with a newbie, just to give him a feel for the game, and it took 45 minutes to play (I had three figures, he had two!).

The Old Scholar
15-10-2007, 02:27
I totally agree. I played a small game with a newbie, just to give him a feel for the game, and it took 45 minutes to play (I had three figures, he had two!).

Heh-heh, insane isn't it?

aenarion67
17-10-2007, 06:24
did u know that rackham has about 6 months till bankruptcy?
dont believe listen to podhammer episode 3.

The Old Scholar
17-10-2007, 07:25
did u know that rackham has about 6 months till bankruptcy?
dont believe listen to podhammer episode 3.

It's so sad...
I wonder if it has anything to do with the high quality magazine they publish as well as all of the talent they hire.
They must put out a fortune every quarter.
Filing bankruptcy will end up screwing any of their talent they haven't paid out just yet. Maybe they will try to help all of the freelancers before they file.
Maybe a magical force will save them. Who knows. It's a shame though, really.