PDA

View Full Version : "Fascinating" academic poll thread

Kohhna
02-09-2005, 23:59
I'm totally at a loss. I'm picking the modules for my taught history masters. You are supposed to pick five, 3 in the first semester and 2 in the second (3rd semester is for your dissertation). I nearly have them all picked except I can't choose the third module for the first semester. I have the chopice narrowed down to 2, THE AFRO-AMERICAN HERITAGE: POST-EMANCIPATION SOCIETIES IN LATIN AMERICA (http://www.essex.ac.uk/history/courses/pg_course_outline.asp?coursecode=hr915-g-au) and THE BODY AND THE GREAT WAR (http://www.essex.ac.uk/history/courses/pg_course_outline.asp?coursecode=hr941-g-au) .

Now they both look like good courses, and this probably isn't the forum to be asking this question on, but they both look like really good courses to do, and what ever one I pick I'll be doing something I love and really interests me. I'm always like this at this time of year, too many good courses, all equally appealing.

Any suggestions or anybody have any thing they want to ask, or think I should be asking myself?

Strikerkc
03-09-2005, 01:31
Now granted, I'm merely an AA student at a community college, but the Afro-American Heritage one seems like it would have more relevance than something about the Great War...

Just my $0.02

tzeentchgiant
03-09-2005, 01:39
I think the Afro American one sounds more interesting, that is purely what my thoughts are based on.

TG

Delicious Soy
03-09-2005, 05:30
Afro-American Heritage, I hate gender studies in any form with an unbridled passion.

Strictly Commercial
03-09-2005, 06:07
I think anyone who is taking sociology post grad is masochistic, but I say go with the Afro American one, it's a heck of a lot more concrete than any of those unscientifically verifiable gender studies, and has a lot more solid evidence to back theories than just peer reviews.

starlight
03-09-2005, 07:03
Going to take the dissenting view (so far) and go with Gender Studies. More girls. :p

Seriously, either looks interesting, go with what moves you.

fracas
03-09-2005, 11:33
race studies have become very political
unclear whether objectivity can be maintain outside of independent studies

go with the other one instead, the politics have not drown out the analysis yet

bertcom1
03-09-2005, 11:43
" differing ways of conceptualising the body will be contemplated through the prisms of food, fighting, injury, mothering and sexuality amongst other topics"
:wtf: :confused:

Do you know what that is supposed to mean?

Anyway, AfroAmericans in Latin America might be a good one.

Which country in South America was it that drafted all the freed slaves into the army, then fought several bloody wars, which reduced the ex-slave population to near zero, effectively committing genocide?

Whichever one it was, the effects can still be seen, as the population of African origin is about 0.1% whereas in other countries its much higher.

Kohhna
03-09-2005, 11:45
Going to take the dissenting view (so far) and go with Gender Studies. More girls. :p

Seriously, either looks interesting, go with what moves you.
The problem is they both move me in different ways.

The actual course I'm doing is an MA in Cultural And Social History (my degree was a M/m in Economic and social history/modern history).

I have done gender studies before and quite liked it. That was the "Marraig Women and society in Early Ireland" with M T Flanaghan, which I liked as she rejected the hardcore feminist take on early Ireland but went with a more empiricle take on the sources.

I like the Body and the great war because I'm more familliar with the period and it probably won't be as much of a slog to get up to date with reading - as well as looking interesting and the rest of it. It also looks a little bit at one of my pet subjects - the Bolshevik revolution. Not as directly as I have done before but at the art and culure around the revolution.

The Afro-American heritage I won't have done as much on before. I am familliar with the slave trade from my degree and i've read The Black Jacobins so it won't be a complete shot in the dark, but my relative ignorance of the period and place is also part of the appeal. Ultimately I would like to know something about all of human history, as much as can be known anyway. It looks like we will be doing stuff about the religions, the music and Capoera - which is all good too.

Anyway I'm still torn but the module sheets have to be in soon so I'm giving it until sunday before I make the descision.

hairyman
03-09-2005, 12:42
I'd go for emancipation in south america and the carribean (especially if it involved a field trip :p ). Looks much more interesting.. I'd love a chance to study the history of Haiti, Dominica, Brazil, the West Indies etc etc. The other course looks a bit light for my liking, although I thoroughly enjoyed the feminism courses I got through on the philosophy half of my degree (long time ago now..... )

Kohhna
03-09-2005, 13:29
I have decided, I will go for the Afro-American heritage one. The more I think about it the more it appeals.

Wiseman
03-09-2005, 13:35
id go with the great war

Kohhna
03-09-2005, 14:14
Well, i can change later if i don't like it.

vforvenator
03-09-2005, 14:48
" differing ways of conceptualising the body will be contemplated through the prisms of food, fighting, injury, mothering and sexuality amongst other topics"
:wtf: :confused:
Do you know what that is supposed to mean?Different ways of considering in-depth the different genders will be explored through the proverbial funnel (a prism divides light into composite colours, so here the main issue into different factors) of the issues of diet - as it is viewed in regards to gender I suppose, conflict - the same, the Gentler Sex and all that, injury - an extension of the conflict one, mothering - maternity in warfare, I guess (the yanks are coming), and sexuality - an extension of the maternity one (rum, sodomy and the lash).

Kohhna
24-10-2005, 11:28
In case anyone is interested, I have ended up doing both and auditing one of the theory modules. And I am enjoying both courses.