PDA

View Full Version : Settra the Imperishable

BigRob
03-10-2007, 10:14
Settra, lord of the Tomb Kings who cannot die and is master of all he surveys.

But, can he cut it in a game. I've never seen the model in the flash, nor heard of anyone using him due to the "No Liche Priests", but if you built a fast army around his rules with Heavy Cavalry and chariots with maybe a small contingent or Archers, Catapults and tomb gribblies would it work?

I'd guess you'd need to play at least 2,500-3000 for it to work since he's pretty pricey and half the army has to be cavalry, chariots and guard. Also ,whats considered the optimum for Chariots and heavy horse in a unit. I thought the full 16 horse would be the ranks, the chariots flank and cause the impact hits, the fear factor overruns and you smash through. Settra plus a couple of princes in chariots add to the overkill.

Any Ideas?

Chiron
03-10-2007, 10:50
Cant be fielded in less than 3000 points as it is so thats why he's rarely used.

Havent got the rules for him on me at the moment but he sounds like he can be horribly effective with his ability to affect every unit of Chariots, Cav and TG(?) in the magic phase.

Scythe
03-10-2007, 10:59
The problem is not only the 'no liches' thing, but also the fact that he takes up 2 lord choices. This essentially limits him to games of 3000 points or more. In such larg pts games, a lvl 4 enemy wizard is quite a common sight. And those wizards hurt like hell if you don't have any significant dispel power, AND little ressurection spells.

This also limits your casting ability further, as 2 lord choices means you cannot have an additional tomb king (unless its 4000+). This makes dispelling of vital invocations of you for the opponent quite easy. A strong point of TK in general is that they can make their spells work trough attrition. If you need to get a vital spell of, you can get all your liches and TK within range of the affected unit, and try the spell 3-4 times, depleting magic defense, and still getting the spell trough in the end. You cannot do this with Settra, as he will be the only ranged magic user (since princes can only cast on their own unit).

So, all in all, no, I cannot see a Settra army work to be honest. If Settra could be taken in a 2000 pts army, it might have been worth a shot, but currently, I am afraid not.

BigRob
03-10-2007, 12:10
So, maybe if he was a Lord and hero choice rather than two lord choices he would be viable?
I did think he would be difficult to use against any magic army due to lack of dispel scrolls, only the broach of the desert would be available.

W0lf
03-10-2007, 15:59
Settra or 2 HLPs?

I know what id pick..

huitzilopochtli
03-10-2007, 21:06
biggest problem? settras army can only generate 2 Dispell dice. and can only take one scroll. against any sort of magic.. uh oh....

Scythe
09-10-2007, 07:26
So, maybe if he was a Lord and hero choice rather than two lord choices he would be viable?
I did think he would be difficult to use against any magic army due to lack of dispel scrolls, only the broach of the desert would be available.

More so indeed. It would open him up for 2000 pts games, were your lack in magic offense and defense is not that crippling as in higher point games, where people tend to have 10+ magic levels. But even then, you can still walk into such armies at 2000 pts level.

lector#1
09-10-2007, 11:09
settra armies can be effective im starting to build one my self now and have spoken to one of my friends who has a huge TK army and runs settra alot.

yes you dont have much magic or magic resistance but there are ways of getting around that.

carrions-fly into enemy wizards occupie them that way.
archers- use them to take out the wizard and his unit
scorpions- same thing attack the wizard and his unit
SSC- same thing again

there are ways of getting around it
with carefull unit choices after the 1500 points of charriots wich i assume includes you princes in chariots aswell.

all of the above can deal with mages and war machines to stop your army catching on fire from the enemy mage.

Scythe
09-10-2007, 11:34
Rather doubtfull to be honest. Mage hunters generally only really start to affect the game from turn 3 on, at which point it might already be to late. Also, you don't have the invocations available to back them up, unlike in a normal TK army. Also, trusting on destroying a complete unit with shooting to get rid of the mage hiding in it is rather optimistic at best...

lector#1
09-10-2007, 11:50
im not saying for a tomb scorpion to attack a unit and kill it but what im saying is some people panic when something pops behind them or there are other threats on the board besides settra or some charriots.

what im aiming for the catapults scorpions and archers are to do is to make the mage decide on what is going to do the most damage that turn so then he might attack my SSC or scorpions i know in some games they wont be that efective but they are really their for some other options rather than have a full combat list wich is like my chaos list and its just no fun any more

Scythe
09-10-2007, 12:01
Sure, it is a challenge, no doubt. Sorry if I sound a bit pesimistic. If you can make a Settra army work, all credit to you, but I still think the Settra army has a large amount of weak spots which are not easily compensated for. In the end I think Settra does not really bring you anything you cannot do better with a basic TK list.

W0lf
09-10-2007, 14:18
what are your fragile wizard hunters going to do against my Tzeentch lord and exalted champs?

Seriously.. my 15PD at 2k would ruin a Tk chariot army.

lector#1
09-10-2007, 16:57
ok well to deal with you i would send either setra him self or one of my prince units in to kill those wizards.

other wise its going to be skull catapults and archers at that unit

Bazzal
10-10-2007, 09:30
i think the main goal of a settra army is to be in combat turn one, as set up is usually 24" apart. so if tombkings get turn one, they can move a whole chariot/cav army foward 8" then magic phase, assuming ur smart and taken some princes use there abilitys to attempt casting moving on their own units (prob chariots). most will fail, then use settra an do the same, he can cast the movement one on every unit, i am still unsure if this si at power level d6 or 3d6 (as the book says he can use incantations like a high liche priest). meaning if most of them should get off and up to half you army has moved again, makin charges meaning 24" in one turn and hopefully into combat safe from most spells.

Scythe
10-10-2007, 09:43
Not all opponents are stupid enough to deploy exactly at the edges of their deployment zone. Besides, TK chariot units do generally not have enough hitting power to break most fully ranked units.

Voltaire
10-10-2007, 11:45
Not all opponents are stupid enough to deploy exactly at the edges of their deployment zone. Besides, TK chariot units do generally not have enough hitting power to break most fully ranked units.

QFT, this man is 'on point'.

The problem with Settra is indeed the fact that he is such a beast in terms of needing 2 lord choices and not allowing for things such as dispel scrolls and actual sorcery. The army built around settra becomes a completely different army to that built around actual aspects of the tomb kings such as incantations.

I forsee the potential for success with Settra though, if you try and maximise on things such as bound items and chariots. It creates for a whole new dynamic game that would easily prove to be the outdoing of a lot of people if it was at smaller point sized games.

lector#1
10-10-2007, 13:04
yes that is what i was thinking of doing maximizing on as much bound spell as possible and then use SSC's and mounted and foot archers just so my army has some ranged back up and some scorpions for flank and rear charges

lector#1
10-10-2007, 14:42
how should i arm my princes i was thinking of adding in staff of ravening
on one of the princes?
also adding in banner of undying legion
icon of the sacred eye
enkhils kanopi
and brooch of the great desert

Scythe
11-10-2007, 07:23
Staff of Ravening is arcane, right? Your princes may not take it.

BigRob
11-10-2007, 10:42
Sadly Lector, Scythe is right, the Ravening Staff and Enkhils Kanopi are unavailable as you have no Liche Priests. This leaves 1 bound item (Banner of the Undying Legion). For magic defence, your relying on the Broach of the Desert (The enchanted scroll) and the Blue Kehpra (MR2) to bolster your units. I'm guessing the other items worth taking are the Chariot of Fire and maybe the other chariot goodies, or something like the Death Mask for the terror (Thats two terror causing characters :))

Something to think about, Settras "Will be done" effects every unit of chariots, Heavy Cav and Tomb Guard in the army. Is it one spell that effects everyone (with one roll to cast and completely stopped if dispelled) or is it roll for each unit, dispel only stops it effecting that unit, roll for next unit, opponent trys to dispel etc etc.

If its the first case, then definatly, Settras army wont run. 4 Dispel scrolls will stop him for 4 turns. :cries:

A13X
13-10-2007, 10:37
Settras' way too expensive for my liking. Looking at the army book he almost rewrites the whole list. In a large game 3000+ pts with enough experience with such a specialized army someone could probably own other competitive armies.

Though thats definatly not me...

Anyway, hardly any people play games that big (I don't) and so not many people have the time to get and then work out strategies for a 3000pts Settra's Army, and practice enough against a variety of enemies to get good at it. However, if anyone actually has done it I'd love to hear how it went, though I have no idea what to expect.

lector#1
13-10-2007, 13:28
i think the way to get around the anti magic problem is to hire a dogs of war dark emissary

BigRob
13-10-2007, 17:56
Possible, but it feels like a cop out.

I imagine if GW playtested it (:()then its possible to hold its own, probablyby hopeing for a turn 1 charge, carrion and scorpions take out mages and warmachines and the chariots and heavy Cavalry break the foethrough weight of numbers.

Of course settra will still fare well in the arena of death...