PDA

View Full Version : Guard

ChrisAsmadi
03-10-2007, 13:31
I have about 50-60 to start Guard next month, and am curious as to what you would recommend buying. I already have the codex, and I do NOT like the metal command squad, so that is not an option.

Cheers in advance.

Col.Gravis
03-10-2007, 13:44
A battleforce and a Codex would be a good solid start if at first glance perhaps a little boring, however you save a little with the battleforce and have rules to work from then onwards.

shadowsun68
03-10-2007, 13:50
Hi i would say get the battle force sice its a great starter and mabie a officer blister so you can get your first platoon up and running.
over and out
chris

Gwedd
03-10-2007, 13:51
Comrade,

Well, the basic army from the Codex would be 40 men and a Chimera. That breaks fown into two boxes of guard infantry and 1 chimera kit. You make one platoon of 25 men, once Armored Fist squad, and one 5-man command squad from all of that. You can then add heavy weapons squads by buying a box a 3 teams for each squad. You can also easily make any command or specialty figures from the contents of the infantry boxes. they are quite flecible conversion-wise.

Respects,

pookie
03-10-2007, 13:59
Comrade,

Well, the basic army from the Codex would be 40 men and a Chimera. That breaks fown into two boxes of guard infantry and 1 chimera kit. You make one platoon of 25 men, once Armored Fist squad, and one 5-man command squad from all of that. You can then add heavy weapons squads by buying a box a 3 teams for each squad. You can also easily make any command or specialty figures from the contents of the infantry boxes. they are quite flecible conversion-wise.

Respects,

Where do you get that you must have 40 men AND a chimera? or is that just so he fills the two troop choices?

youd be better with a battleforce or three boxes of cadians. ( 3 boxes will give you option to have command platoon, 2 infantry platoons and a special wep squad.)

Steel_Legion
03-10-2007, 13:59
getting a basic platoon is all well, but if you want a real taste for the guard, the battleforce is the way to go, you are a bit off getting a legal army, but get a taste of Imperial Armour :D Add to that something like more men (18 for the 20 box set?) and you are nearly there. Perhaps battleforce and a special weapons blister to get some plasma/melta

Gwedd
03-10-2007, 14:16
Where do you get that you must have 40 men AND a chimera? or is that just so he fills the two troop choices?

youd be better with a battleforce or three boxes of cadians. ( 3 boxes will give you option to have command platoon, 2 infantry platoons and a special wep squad.)

Comrade,

I was looking at how much he has available to spend, and what would be the MINIMUM he could buy to start an IG army. That's all. Certainly the more the merrier, but with limited funds, and a desire to play IG, the 2-boxes and a chimera helps out a new player with a minimal investment, and gives him a legal army to start playing with.

Respects,

pookie
03-10-2007, 14:19
@ Gwedd - thats cool mate, your post seemed to indicate that a basic army must inc what you said, when that isnt the case tahts all i meant mate, this could be confusing for a new IG player ( especially if he didnt want vehicles in his force)

Some guy (UK)
03-10-2007, 16:27
If you really wanted to, just buy two boxes of Karskin storm troopers for your troops choice and be done with it :p

Don't like the GW metal command squad? I assuming you meant Cadian, and I agree, so I got the one from FW. With postage it will come out as 22.40 to the UK.

With your current money though, I'd suggest a battleforce, and leave it at that. Once you have some more money, buy a box of troops, chimera, and junior officer.

That will give you one platoon of men with two squads, officer, and 4 members for his command squad. You will also have plenty of troops left over for the squad that will use the chimera. That is your second troops choice done.

Then buy a command squad and the minimum requirments are sorted.

Don't forget you can also get 9 heavy weapon squads out of the three sets you get in the battleforce without any converting. 3 bolters/ lascannons/ autocannons, 3 mortars, and 3 missile launchers.

Good luck and say goodbye to your money ;)

Finn
03-10-2007, 16:27
Tip: Use small magnets for your heavy weapons tripods...

Wyatt
03-10-2007, 16:31
What I did to start off was bought:

2 Cadian Shock Troops boxes
1 Junior Officers blister
1 Chimera (well, scratch built it)

I then did them like so:

Command Squad:
1 Junior Officer, converted into HSO
1 Medic (converted using an empty arm and a canteen, suitably blood covered)
1 Standard Bearer (converted from an easter-egg plastic box and paperclip)
1 flamer
1 master vox (normal vox with GS and paper clip for an extra aerial)

Infantry platoon:
Command squad
Four shock troops with spare junior officer
Squad A
Nine shock troops with captain
Squad B

Armoured Fists Squad
Chimera

I then used the two spare shock troops to make tank commanders, and then tried, and failed, to use the legs and GS to make priests.

That's a legal army for... 54, or if you use an online store like Maelstrom, with 10% off or whatever, then around 50.