PDA

View Full Version : advice on empire torney army

lee
03-10-2007, 14:24
hi all

am going to start going to more fantasy torneys in the new year. and was thinking of useing empire has anyone got any tips on what would make for a good empire army at a torney. but i dont want to go down the gunline path.

MattKienbaum
03-10-2007, 18:01
Well, you got the number 1 tip, don't do gunline, thell hate you.
Empire is very versital and a lot of it's performance dipends on your style. I personally use little magic but will bone up on the priest. that and a few guns for a ballance. I also tend to feald a wedge or an oblique line.
How do you play?

CaptScott
04-10-2007, 15:13
You don't actually see that many Empire gunline armies these days. Most armies are taking advantage of the detatchment rules and fielding strong infantry blocks basked up by knights as well as Greatswords or Flagellants. Of course 1 (...maybe 2...) cannons are still mandatory!

p.s. do a google search with the words 'warhammer' and 'empire' and you may just come across a very very useful Empire specific forum.

Centry the Grim
05-10-2007, 17:26
Very simple:

2 cannons 1 helstrum,

3 units of swordsmen with 7 archer/9 swordsmen detachment. 2 units of 5 knights

1 Archlector, 1 priest, 1 scroll caddie

Bam havent lost yet with this.

captaincortez
08-10-2007, 05:22
I would avoid the war altar and arch lector characters as well as the steam tank. Don't get me wrong, I love the steam tank and it is definitely beatable-but based on previous reputation, people will hate you for taking it (unless they are knowledgeable and will just cripple it on you). The AL on WA combo is way too overused in Empire armies these days, considering that their are only 2 arch lectors in the whole Empire). Check out the, ahem, earlier mentioned hypothetical search for "empire" and "warhammer" and you may find me, I mean, you may find all of your answers there.

Green-Knight
09-10-2007, 00:13
just having the right list can only take you so far.
Like the guy above me stated, if you mess up with the stank, then you just hamstrung yourself outta 300 pts. of your army.

Just make a few lists, and see what your comfortable with. Make sure u can cover all your bases.

I did decent at the last GT i went to with empire, with some units that no one would ever reasonably take unless it was coax a better sportsmanship score from their opponants. lol

it was something like:
arch lector, w/ metoric iron armor
Captain on peggy, greatweapon
warrior priest, great weapon
captain BSB

24 swordsmen, 2 detatchments of 5 H.gunners
24 halberdiers :wtf:
19 greatswords, 1 detatch. of 9 halbediers
10 huntsmen
5 knights, warbanner
2 cannons
6 pistoleers, musician
Steam tank

no super characters, a few march blockers, 5 dispel dice w/ no magic offence, a couple hammer units, low number of guns, and cannons to keep big stuff in check.

just use what u feel comfortable with.

empireguard
09-10-2007, 00:53
Yes I think the Google search would be a good Idea for more info.

but here is some general stuff

Take one spearman unit with detach of swordsmen and archers
Take one (or two) swordsmen unit(s) with detach of swordsmen or halberds and archers.
Take a unit of great swords and/or flaggies
Take a unit of xbow or handgunners
Take two warmachines one being a cannon the other Hellstorm, mortar or another cannon just not a hellblaster (you will get a comp hit even thought its not what it was).
Take a unit (or two) of knights
A Warrior Priest
A wizard with a Rod of power

Cheesejoff
09-10-2007, 17:10
The list which I used quite succesfully is this:

Characters

Elector Count; AMI, GW, Holy Relic, (161)

Warrior Priest - HA, GW, Shield, (105)

Battle Mage, Dispel Scrollx2, HA (110)

Captain; Full Plate, Talisman of Protection, GW (73)

Core

24x Swordsmen, FC (193)
6x Handgunners (48)
8x Halberdiers (48)

24x Speamen, FC (243)
6x Handgunners (48)
8x Free Comp (40)

12x Handgunners (96)

5x Knights possibly Inncer circle?

Special

19x Greatswords, FC, War Banner (283)

5x Pistoliers, Marksman, RP (95)

1x Great Cannons (100)

1x Mortar (75)

Rare

1x Helblaster (110)

*edit* Empireguard pointed out a few corrections.

empireguard
09-10-2007, 21:17
Cannons are only 100pts each and Helblasters are 110pts. Spearmen can't have the Griffon Standard (only a BSB can), Wizards cant have Great weapons and there seems to be some other issue with your list but I don't have my book with me.

captaincortez
10-10-2007, 02:15
Cheesejoff appears to be using the 6th ed. Empire book.

Another word of advise...ALWAYS take a cheap captain on pegasus as one of your hero choices.

Also, vanilla knight units of 5 or 6 are great to sprinkle in.

Frankly
10-10-2007, 08:20
I found empire to be a really good tournament armybook, at first I thought it'd be a bit weak compared to the usual power houses of skaven, undead and a few chaos armylists out there, but infact its a solid balanced armybook able to be toned up or down depending on the environment your playing in(not all tournaments are the same).

Really have a look at the armybooks strengths, which are cheep units, cheep fire power, detachments and alot of good niche options to fill out weak points in your armylist.

See which strengths work into your play style best.

don't discard any of the empires unit options until you've had to good go practising alot of combo's. All the unit options are pretty good and get better when played in a well tuned armylist.

Practise. It's important to get out there and get a few games under your belt, especailly with empire, since they haven't go the huge stats or super power combo's as other armybooks, it all comes down to table top know how, especially deployment which is one of those hands on areas that only get better with game play.

At tournaments I've been playing a shooting themed armylists that counter attacks really well. I've supported my 4 static units of shooters with 3-4 heavy blocks of cheep infantry with detachments and then support them with cheap cavalry. On top of this I always take 2 cannon to keep the opponent honest.

Basically I've worked with the armybooks strengths to come up with a winning armylist.

For me atleast bulk and lots of bodies wins games for me with empire, lots of unit = lots of options and lots of problems for the opponent.

captaincortez
11-10-2007, 02:41
I would say to limit yourself to 4 large (25-30) units of state troops. Each of these should have at least one 3x3 detachment of halberds or swords, probably 2. Archers make nice detachments as well. Keep characters cheap, they are not made for fighting other characters, let static combat resolution deal with that.

Oh, and did I mention not taking an Arch Lector. Please don't take one, the General of the Empire is the most fluffy choice here...or a Knight Grand Master would be OK if you had enough knights to justify him.

Cheesejoff
11-10-2007, 17:52
Argh, I copied my list from a 6th Ed thread. *edits*

empireguard
11-10-2007, 21:12
Argh, I copied my list from a 6th Ed thread. *edits*

Hay at least now you have more points to play with.:)

Shank
12-10-2007, 03:27
Why should I care if my opponent doesn't like my army composition? Why should a Empire player feel guilty about taking fun units like the Steam Tank, War Altar or lots of guns? I don't know, maybe it's me, but it seems that if you don't start off your list with at least 3 units of 20 state troops and no more than one piece of artillary, you are playing a unbalance, unfun list. The Empire General, as fluffy as he may be, is a worthless character compared to the Arch Lector or Grandmaster. I don't need my characters to be "fluffy". Fluff is for pillows. My advice is to tailor you army the way you like to play. And if your opponent raises a eyebrow and goes "ohh man" when he sees your army, you have done well. Here is a quick look at my 1500 Empire army from a recent Games Day. Did very well I must say:
Warrior Priest
(2) second level wizards
20 Flagellants
10 Crossbows
10 Handguns
5 InnerCircle Knights
1 Cannon
1 Mortar
Steam Tank

Had loads of fun with this army.

kroq'gar
12-10-2007, 03:53
Dont really play in tournys, but heres a 1500 list i used in a recent friendly round robbin, did pretty well.

Warrior priest o/foot with addittional, metriotic iron, and icon. In Greatswords

20 greatswords, full command. detach of 10 halberds, 5 free company.

Battlestandard bearer, mounted, full plate, sword of might, white cloak.

lvl 2 wizard, luckstone, dispel scoll.

20 swordsmen, command, detachment of 10 halberds, 6 hangunners

20 swordsmen, command, detachment of 10 halberds, 6 handgunners

5 pistoliers

Cannon

helstorm

Its pretty much, hold the line. the warrior priest is good, giving the greatswords hatred, and immune to fear/terror. Hes also got 1+ armour, and with i4 and not striking last, he can be useful for taking out a few rank and file to preserve your greatswords for their attack.

Battle standard is vital, with this many blocks, you'll always stick around. With a bsb a unit of swordsmen with a detach in combat are 4 attempts at rolling to hold, bogging down cavalry by holding the charge. (i was helped here by a detach of halberds holding on insane courage twice (the final test was outnumbered by saurus cavalry after having the other 9 guys butchered).

You have enough shooting to force movement from the opponent (a helstorm shakes people up).

Stare them down, hold the line. Your greatswords will die to the man, so form up with them on one flank, and swing in with your two swordsmen units. Your bsb can fight so shove him in the fighting rank of a unit (2+ armour, 5+ward, 3 ws 5 st5 attacks). To help this use the pistoliers to marchblock a portion of their army, staggering their advance. The cannon can take out any chariots or monsters that might cause you problems, and then be turned on their elites.

Plus the fact you've got over 100 models on the table makes the opponent look twice.

Grand Warlord
14-10-2007, 03:17
I have given up on trying to make a list that will make everybody happy i mean after 3 years of GTs i dont think its possible ... so heres what I take: 2000 pts.

DISCLAIMER: been out of the hobby for 2-3 years so when i was still playing magic was a big deal, this is my old list brought into the new book. I picked a lot of this from what models I wanted to field.

General: Holy relic, sword of power, enchanted shield, Full Plate.

Captian: Full Plate, Sword, Shield.

Battle Wizard: Level 2, scroll caddie (x2 scrolls)

Battle Wizard: Level 2, scroll caddie (x2 scrolls)

2 units of 30 Swordsmen: Full command

4 units of 15 halberdier detachments

2 units of 10 handgunners

Mortar

2 Great Cannons

With the last points i had i went with the S Tank, but if its a big "dont take this" then I can bring in another unit of Infantry+Detachments, i just dont want to have to paint soo many infantry if i can help it ... maybe some knights. I have so much shooting because I generally roll terribly.

please dont bash this too bad ... like i said before im rusty and no real experience with current play styles and tourny lists. Oh and i was thinking of going with a witch hunters theme, i know this would pretty much remove the cannons and mortar, but i cant see an army moving without some form of war machine, maybe a conversion piece?

brettz123
16-10-2007, 14:34
Well I dont even own a steam tank but I dont see why people have a problem with it. It is part of the empire list and if you like running one why not?

Just remember that with the new army book your troops are cheaper so you can take more stuff.

Rodman49
17-10-2007, 06:14
Well I dont even own a steam tank but I dont see why people have a problem with it. It is part of the empire list and if you like running one why not?

Just remember that with the new army book your troops are cheaper so you can take more stuff.

Maybe its unfluffy, I remember the 5th Ed book said there were only 12 in the Empire.

kroq'gar
17-10-2007, 12:02
Maybe its unfluffy, I remember the 5th Ed book said there were only 12 in the Empire.

Which made no sense... as the engineers of the time could repair (even from a shell) those tanks, but not build new ones ??

anyways... my suggestions up top

empireguard
17-10-2007, 13:15

Not even that much there were only 8

Rodman49
17-10-2007, 13:18
Not even that much there were only 8

Ah, were only 8 functional or were only 8 built? Anyway I also seem to remember that each Steam Tank was a revered piece of equipment considering the original engineer who developed them died . . . think his name started with an "L."

brettz123
17-10-2007, 17:00
So are we saying that you can only take things that are common in your armybook to a tournament? To me it just seems a little childish to complain about someone bringing a legal choice to a tournament. Fluffy or not it is still part of the list. Would someone get upset if I brought Luthor Huss to a tournament? I mean there is only one of them in the empire?

Grand Warlord
19-10-2007, 15:58
I see your pov brettz123 but even I am nervous about actually taking the S.Tank .. if I do ... if I dont then itll be either another block of infantry and detachments or maybe some cav or pistoliers.

empireguard
20-10-2007, 01:20
Ah, were only 8 functional or were only 8 built? Anyway I also seem to remember that each Steam Tank was a revered piece of equipment considering the original engineer who developed them died . . . think his name started with an "L."

Only 8 built he was a rip of, of Leonardo de Vinci. The current engineers can only rebuild them after they explode they don't know how to make them.

I guess it like some of us can fix cars but don't know how to make parts from scratch.

Green-Knight
20-10-2007, 13:14
pretty sure it's only 8 that are opperational. the GW website has a whole article on stanks that showed how 4 were damaged beyond repair.

And dont worry bout pleasing your opponant too much. It's not gonna matter what you bring if he's a poor sport with a crap attitude, he's still gonna kill your comp/sportsmanship score.

Nothing you can do but try to figure out if your opponant is gonna hamstring you, and if there's a good chance, go for the massacare. :evilgrin:

empireguard
20-10-2007, 13:45
pretty sure it's only 8 that are opperational. the GW website has a whole article on stanks that showed how 4 were damaged beyond repair.

That right 4 where lost during trail runs and in battle. I forgot about them

kroq'gar
21-10-2007, 00:01
and that one that sank into a swamp and is now skaven run