PDA

View Full Version : GW Online Store

Wyatt
03-10-2007, 17:09
Indie traders with shops generally sell for 100% prices, as they have the shop to upkeep and staff to pay, same as for GW stores.

But when indie's go online, it's normally 10% off, 20% off. Because there's no ground rent to pay, not as many staffers, no cleaners, etc.

So why don't we see the same reduction of prices in the GW online store?

bertcom1
03-10-2007, 17:15
Because hardly anyone would then buy from the shops?

rivers3162
03-10-2007, 17:19
Because then they'd be cutting their own hobby stores out of the market to an extent. Plus they have some overheads to cover such as their warehouses, mail order offices, staff to man the phone lines etc.

Still, I think GW mail order could do a lot to make themselves more attractives, the most obvious being the postage. 4 per order is fine if you're getting a lot of stuff but not if its 10 worth of bits and bobs. A lot of other stores charge 10% of the order value so maybe even 10% then a flat 4 after you spend 40 would be a lot better. I know I'd be more likely to place orders with them more frequently.

blongbling
03-10-2007, 17:48
because they have a policy of not discounting product

scarletsquig
03-10-2007, 17:54
I think we'll see a lot more "direct order from GW store only" models in future, just to encourage people to buy... I'll only buy something from their online store if it's the only place I can get it.

yabbadabba
03-10-2007, 19:50
GW's online store will not discount. They have a policy of selling at full price to support their, and Indy, B+M stores.

What you probably will see is more psotage deals, more MO only models, and more bundle deals. All these can be successfully pitched as "promotions" and can therefore counter any EU laws on competitiveness.

The_Warsmith
03-10-2007, 19:58
I think we'll see a lot more "direct order from GW store only" models in future, just to encourage people to buy... I'll only buy something from their online store if it's the only place I can get it.

that wouldn't encourage me only make me more pissed off that i can't get a model i like from my local store :mad:

rivers3162
03-10-2007, 20:05
that wouldn't encourage me only make me more pissed off that i can't get a model i like from my local store :mad:

As it is, a lot of current models are being made Direct Only, apparently to save shelf space which makes it even more annoying that I have to go to mail order in order to get a model which I should be able to get in store.

selfconstrukt
03-10-2007, 20:43
Basically Wyatt, its all of the above, and the fact that Gw's customers will complain about the price, but never really do anything to make GW change.

GW can charge whatever they want, as evidenced by Apocalypse, and their customers will just shut up and take it without much of a fight.

Consumers in general have become complacent, when it comes to pricing we usually think "I want it" rather than "I need it".

Marketing and sales professionals make a living out of finding ways to get your money, and they use a lot of psychology to do it.

Wyatt
03-10-2007, 20:48
I get ya.

It's a shame really. I want to get bits from GW, but they cost so little the postage is not worth it so I'd need to get a big box set or something to justify it. But if I want to do that I'll go to an online indie that sells it for cheaper... So in the end GW get less money.

selfconstrukt
03-10-2007, 21:00
Wyatt, try this and I encourage others to as well.

My BF went out of town to Vegas last week, before he left we talked about getting a new Dodge Charger. He said we couldn't afford it, we argued then he left for the airport.

I was painting a Broadside for him, then stared at his hobby "stuff" and got an idea.

I took all of his unpainted, unfinished models, rulebooks, games and all his bits boxes and added them all up using the GW , Rackham, Foundry etc online stores as a price guide.

He has over $18,000.00 of "unused" product. My jaw dropped after I added it all up.
I also have many models, but I am a bit OCD so I always finish painting one before I start or buy anything new.

Try it, then ask yourself "Why did I buy this when I am not even using it" then you will understand why GW is in no danger and why they do not need to change.

Oh yeah, we are going to the dealers later today to look at my new car. I want a green one, with a sunroof and larger tires.:D

selfconstrukt
03-10-2007, 21:02
When I meant "unfinished and unused" you know exactly what I mean: primed models (not painted) rulebooks you bought but don't have an army for, game you bought but never play etc. Every gamer has these and their homes are usually covered in them.

I did not count his finished and used armies, or any games and books he actually plays with.

The_Warsmith
03-10-2007, 21:08
that is very shocking but i guess we're all a little like that fortunatly i find myself going back to old/unfinished models and icorporating them into my armies because i cannot afford the new GW stuff :D