PDA

View Full Version : What magic lore do you prefer?

Heromaniac
03-10-2007, 19:13
I've studied the 8 lores of magic and wonder which would you use most.:confused:

Each has its own use but which one is the most use by players and why?

The Poisoned Dwarf
03-10-2007, 19:21
Racial magic is best. never seen a spell as devastating as Gork's Warpath. and never knock TREE SINGING!!

badgeraddict
03-10-2007, 19:25
Tree Singing, your only spell *giggles*

Its all about Dark Magic, Chillwind is a great spell!

Chaplain Nikolai
03-10-2007, 19:31
I use Beasts, but thats because I play Beastmen.

Lord Tzeentch
03-10-2007, 19:33
Metal all the way. Got all the spells you need:)

Anvil is the best as you can't stop it (Ha take that you monkeys of magic)

bhusus
03-10-2007, 19:34
I was close to saying 'none' as I play dwarfs but part of the reason I'm starting a new army is for magic...and the dwarf-player in me sees metal as the best link...I just like the fluff of it...

mjc1000
03-10-2007, 19:38
lol i love waggh magic even when i miscast and all the mages blew up on my side i just burst out laughing same as my oponent

Crube
03-10-2007, 19:41
Depends on the situation.

I love the racial magic - some really devestating and fluffy spells there. and lets face it, if you're playing undead, you're gonna love Necromantic ;)

I play Wood Elves, so I say Racial for that reason too, but my new Empire army has a wizard, who'll probably choose either Fire (devestating) or Death...

zak
03-10-2007, 20:47
The Slaaneshi list is awesome. Some really good spells for all situations. I also highly rate the Orc and Gobbo list and the OK list. The latter due to then never ending stream of spells. That strength 2 no armour save spell is the bane of my heavily armoured troops!

empireguard
03-10-2007, 21:00
Metal Or death depending on who I'm playing

Holy Crap! Manticores!
04-10-2007, 01:33
I find Death magic to be a good list.

Three direct damage spells (one of which is NOT a MM), two augmentation spells, and a sweet disruption spell. As a DE player, I find that this lore gets more bang for the buck than Dark magic's short range and high casting values.

starlight
04-10-2007, 01:49
Waaagh! :D

Keller
04-10-2007, 02:41
I generally prefer Beasts magic for my Empire or Dogs of War armies. I still take light quite a bit, but not as much as I did in 6th Ed. I am planning on trying out Metal and Shadow lores again, whenver I get get a chance to field my Empire army again.

I like Beasts because it is so versatile, even when one doesn't have any cav/monsters them self. With a spell to rally units, a MM, 2 spells to hinder enemy monsters/cav, a mage empowering spell, and a bonus move for your units, you have quite a bit that you can do.

I like light for the same reason; some spells to aid your units (Guardian light, dazzling brightness), some damage spells, and a wizard empowering. I rarely see use for the heal spell that has been added to Light, but that is mainly due to me nearly always having a warrior priest handy for such an occasion.

Metal lore, unsurprisingly, I like for much the same reason. It has spells to damage the enemy, and to hinder enemy units, which can give your own the edge in combat.

Then again, I do loves me some Gut Magic for my Ogres. And my Vampire Counts take Necromancy far more than they take Death in 7th edition, though it was probably split about 50/50 last ed. Racial is generally best when its available.

*** Having re-read the original post, this is supposed to be about the 8 basic lores..... Thats what I get for taking so long between reading the first and posting myself.

devolutionary
04-10-2007, 02:46
Life, because slowing down the enemy and healing my Bretonnian characters is a good thing.

Other than that, I wouldn't have a clue, I've only played Brets so far :)

Khorghan
04-10-2007, 02:47
beasts or shadow are my favourite

Finnigan2004
04-10-2007, 03:13
I have a slaan, so it's really cool to be able to look across the table, see what you are facing, and then roll on the lore of your choice (switching between spells!). When not in this situation, I do really like beasts because of it's versatility.

aenarion67
04-10-2007, 03:31
high magic all the way.
wana kill 40 night goblins in on two goes?
Flames of the Pheonix!!!!!
and to silence any form of magic item the enemy has?
Vauls unmaking!

The SkaerKrow
04-10-2007, 04:22
I would probably have to say Dark Magic is the best, as it's actually won me a few games. Skaven Magic has also won me games, but not nearly as many. Still, it is my favorite.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
04-10-2007, 05:10
Metal. :skull:

Alx_152
04-10-2007, 05:45
I prefer racial magic. But in case of my empire I prefer Death.

Refardeon
04-10-2007, 06:21
Racial magic is my answer, since in most times its the best option for specialized armies. And its also the best in flair. In empire armies i demand on light or metal, seldom heaven. In DE i use sometimes shadow magic with one sorceress, even if i'm asking for lore of the beasts to use; so many monsters and no beast lore using against fluff?

Greetz Refardeon

Tutore
04-10-2007, 13:06
Voted metal, but I still use death more often. I play HE.

Angel of the Black Parade
04-10-2007, 13:09
Tree singing baby!
gotta be racial.

W0lf
04-10-2007, 13:11
Slaanesh is the best magical law.

However as a Tzeentch player my vote still goes to Tzeentch.

Gotta love it when your like:

Im ganna cast red fire, now blue fire, bit of green fire and lastly indigo fire.

God i love the look on my opponents face when i throw all these spells around. You just cant keep up. Oh and youd be amazed how many players go 'ahh blue fire dosnt work against imune to psy units you noob, have it.'

Then you point out they mixed up blue and green fire and waste their unit...

ahh good times.

Oh and red fire is the best spell in the game (well its my fav). Its so unpredicatble that its very hard to decide wether to dispel it or not. Plus most people look at my 14 power dice and decide to let my 3 red fires through (i always have at least 3) and i roll up some nice 6 S5 or 5 S6 etc

WarBoss Nodrog
04-10-2007, 13:34
best lore?

fluffwise without a doubt, necromancy. it lets you live forever, raise your own army of loyal minions and ride around on your very own shiny zombie dragon or winged nightmare. top that

gameplay wise i find gutmagic to be awesome with the easy to cast buffspells. tombking incantations are a close second for their reliability and versitility.

T10
04-10-2007, 13:35
Lore of Light is probably the best Lore for a number of reasons. I'm not going to share those reasons with you because I am a cantankerous old man that jealously guards my knowledge, fearful of young pups with the potential and ambition to replace me.

And Lore of Death is almost as good.

And get off my lawn!

-T10

Crazy Harborc
05-10-2007, 00:25
Well....NOW fire has been voted for. My second choice would be for the boys. I don't use gobbo shamans....just Orcs, no Savage ones.

Chaplain Mortez
05-10-2007, 01:22
Generally, I have three-four mages in my High Elves. I use whatever will kill my opponent, and generally mix and match (i.e. one guy with life and another with high magic). However, I find that metal seems to be the best all-around lore simply because it can thrash high-cost, high-armor units in a single turn.

Nothing better than watching 800+ points of Chosen Chaos Knights go squish on turn one.

Farsot
05-10-2007, 05:06
Racial but of the colors? Death! Use Death for my undivided chaos games. But Light are excellent if you know what you'r faceing (Undead & Daemons).

Ethlorien
05-10-2007, 13:29
Gotta say my HE's love Death.

L192837465
05-10-2007, 13:42
Lore of Light is probably the best Lore for a number of reasons. I'm not going to share those reasons with you because I am a cantankerous old man that jealously guards my knowledge, fearful of young pups with the potential and ambition to replace me.

And Lore of Death is almost as good.

And get off my lawn!

-T10

you a Farker, T10? hah

i like beast. its good?

MindSlave
05-10-2007, 16:07
cant beats me lore of nurgle...

happy_doctor
05-10-2007, 16:49
I voted for life; I simply believe that mistress of the marsh is the single most effective disruptive spell of the game! It makes the difference between getting charged by heavy cavalry or charging with your infantry.
Although the lore lacks the destructive power of fire or metal, its disruptive capabilities are priceless! (plus there seems to be enough forests and hills out there nowadays to deal some damage with the "masters" spells)

==Me==
05-10-2007, 18:02
It's all about the magic of the Horned Rat

"bamf" Nightcrawler style (works best with Fellblade assassin)
ZZZZAAPPP!!! (cue Engineer frying himself...)
S3 save ignoring breath weapon
Vermintide, nuff said
Death Frenzy+Slaves :D
Killing off an entire army in one magic phase (like it matters which)

The most destructive magic out there, regardless of who it ultimately affects.

Arryn
06-10-2007, 04:57
Slaanesh is my favourite... I find it to be unique in those little ways that take your enemy by surprise...

Reflex
06-10-2007, 09:41
i use Metal and Death.

If i have one wizard it will be metal, if i can add a second i take death. they work well together, and lets face it, the lore of metal has some nasty spell, wile death is just easy for casting.

Dark_Mage99
06-10-2007, 16:17
Dark Magic :D I personally play against a lot of shooty armies, and this lore helps a lot.

Hvidponi
06-10-2007, 20:42
I play Skaven so...

But when I play other races, I tend to use Light or Death (empire or dark elves)...

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
08-10-2007, 12:51
The waaagh magic is the way to go:)

Greetz
G

feintstar
08-10-2007, 13:02
I vote Shadow.

Anything for a movement spell. pity they can flee from it nowadays, but still, the ability to move a dragon 40 inches in a single turn...

Also gives you pit of Shades, which gives Ogres and Dwarves a real headache. and lastly gives you some anti armour direct damage.

Still its awful versus non-elite armies...

Some people will complain about high casting values. But I'm talking about a Book of Hoeth.

Weldo Rubin
08-10-2007, 14:12
The Lore of Pain and Pleasure...

Heromaniac
08-10-2007, 18:33
Anything for a movement spell. pity they can flee from it nowadays, but still, the ability to move a dragon 40 inches in a single turn...

I'm sorry to disappoint you but the spell Stated that it can only affect US 1 model so only lone character on foot( no flying Doombulls, chariot or giants:rolleyes:)

But still fun to see the terror in your opponent's eyes when your Chaos lord fly straight to the enemy's wizard:wtf:

theunwantedbeing
08-10-2007, 18:36
I like the dark magic lore personally. Or the nurgle lore.
They seem the most fun.

Von Bismarck
08-10-2007, 21:26
beast magic rocks for beastmen (duh)

Killgore
08-10-2007, 22:49
Necromancy

Unwise
09-10-2007, 04:37
Metal for most of my armies. I can handle most things except high AS units. Metal helps out with that.

For my HE, I love a Seer with Dooming Darkness (Death). Giving the enemy general -3 LD taking it to 6, then flying a terror causing creature next to them is too fun to pass up. That spell can even make the present Pheonix Guard useful, if the enemy has between 4-6 LD they don't stand much chance of making their fear test.

Duck Dodgers
09-10-2007, 15:07
Generally, it depends on the opponent. As I play High Elves, I usually take High Magic (some very nice spells there), and one other list. Those tend to be either Life (Mistress of the march plays h*ll with opposing cavalry) or Metal (especially against Mortal Chaos, and those armor saves)

bambamBIGILO
09-10-2007, 15:35
lore of beast makes the best scroll caddie, after u use up the scrolls use bears anger its only a 4+ and becomes a real combat monster:evilgrin:

Keller
09-10-2007, 22:35
lore of beast makes the best scroll caddie, after u use up the scrolls use bears anger its only a 4+ and becomes a real combat monster:evilgrin:

I really like this idea, except I don't like scroll caddies in general.

Alderhan
10-10-2007, 06:11
Dark and Shadow for my Dark Elves. I like "controlling" magic, support spells and the like. I also think the Slaanesh-lore was pretty awesome when I played with the Cult of Pleasure. And of course necromancy for my VC. So I voted racial.

empireguard
10-10-2007, 06:47
Just looking at the numbers it seems like Fire is the least popular. Which is odd as I see it recommended at the BEST all the time. Iíve never thought it was great but I thought I was in the minority for not thinking that.

thorgrim
10-10-2007, 21:51
Death for my empire army and my vote. Its just so much fun.
As to my Dwarf army magic is for sissies.

Kahadras
10-10-2007, 22:05
Necromancy. Pretty easy question really. If you want your Undead army to perform you really need to get off a few IoN, VDM etc. Magic is a great 'force equaliser' for VC IMHO. Without it all you have is a powerful but vunerable general and poor, overcosted troops.

Kahadras

Cry of the Wind
10-10-2007, 22:52
I love Heavens for my Slann. I take a mix of spells (mostly the various magic missiles) but the Heavens spells always bother my opponents more than the others (and therefore allow some of my other spells to go off in order to save dispell dice). I find it nice to be able to reach out and touch someone with the lightning spells (and the rare times comet does go off...hehehe).

gerrymander61
11-10-2007, 06:50
I perosnally love the skaven lore because it's just so damn destructive that my grey seer can easily make his points back and then some. Even if the enemy dispelscrolls your Plague, you still have 3 other fantastically killy spells.

happy_doctor
11-10-2007, 08:13
Ok, shameless plug following!!!!!

Greetings fellow Warseers,

seeing as this is a magic-related topic which has so far drawn the attention of many veteran players, I'm here to request your aid:
I have started a project named Magic 101 here in warseer, which will hopefully lead to the writing of a (nearly) complete guide to every aspect of warhammer magic.
To this end, I'm in need of your help. If you feel like contributing to this cause, just drop by the relevant thread (found in my sig), and sign up to write for a certain lore of magic, or post some c&c!!
This way, we'll be able to help new players (and have less "which lore?" threads in the general and tactics forums)

Come on, jump on the bandwagon, I know you want to :)

Heromaniac
18-10-2007, 04:00
Thank you for voting. The result shall be taken in account.