PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing

DeathlessDraich
03-10-2007, 21:16
Please remind me how these questions were resolved the last time they were discussed.

6th Ed Flee: pg 45 "This is explained further in the rules for fleeing models in Close Combat"

This is absent from pg 19 in the 7th ed.

Q1) What in the rules can confirm that the rules for fleeing after the Break test or Subsequent actions of fleeing units can be used for fleeing from a charge i.e. how would you refute any claims that the rules for fleeing from a charge can only be found in the Movement Chapter?

Q2) Unit (A) and (B) declares charges on Unit (C) who flees. The line of flight is taken from Unit (A) which has the bigger unit strength. Pardon the crude diagram.

AA...........CC
AA...........CC
AA...........CC
AA...........CC.
...............CC.
..............................BBBB

a) Is (B)'s charging line (when moving chargers) taken from (B) to (C)ís original position or final position (at the end of fleeing)?

I would say final position. What is your opinion?

b) How would unit (B) move if (C) moves into them and is destroyed?

Thank you in advance.

theunwantedbeing
03-10-2007, 21:25
1. Page 46
2a. You move towards where the unit is when you move chargers.
2b. You move your full charge distance

ebonicmaser
03-10-2007, 21:28
Charges are moved in the oder they are declared. So if unit C runs from unit A, and run past unit B, then unit B no longer has LOS to unit C. Unit B moves it's full charge distance to where unit C was when you declare charges..... that's how I would work it...

Palatine Katinka
04-10-2007, 01:12
1) Not sure about that one, it might help if you said which part of the rules you're trying to apply. Is it the bit about fleeing into the enemy?

2a) Final position, if you can go far emough, they die and you keep going 'through the final position', if you can't reach, move normal Move rate towards the intended target. Wheel round to face and move as far as you can.

2b) Good question. Stay still as you are already at their final position. -or- Move in the direction they came from, as if your unit turned to face and charged through them, taking their 'final position' to be the point just outside your unit that they reached just before dying. (?)

DeathlessDraich
07-10-2007, 15:22
Thank you for the replies.
Palatine -
1) Yes. The fleeing rules in Movement is confined to fleeing *without encountering any unit or impassable terrain*. 6th ed refers the reader to fleeing rules for combat as well for these cases but 7th does not. Therefore can the additional fleeing rules (from the Close Combat Chapter) be used for fleeing from charges.
Most players tacitly accept that they can, but is there any support from within the rules.

unwanted, Palatine and ebonic:
2b). I see this as a failed charge since the chargers cannot 'reach' a unit that has been removed from the battlefield but I agree with Palatine and unwanted that the chargers reposition themselves to face the final position of the destroyed unit (C).

T10
07-10-2007, 17:02
Hardly any circumstances that trigger a flee move specify the effects of terrain and other units.

I readily assume that the effects outlined in "Subsequent actions of fleeing troops" (p.46) apply none-the-less, because that works.

-T10

Palatine Katinka
07-10-2007, 19:46
The 'Subsequent actions of fleeing troops' section could also be considered to not truely be a part of the Close Combat section. It is a box out, not part of the main text, suggesting to me that it is an important and universal ruling place at that part of the book because the 'basic rules' section has now come to a close and the 'basic' events that lead to fleeing have all been covered.

Do people understand what I'm saying there? Along the lines of 'Here's how people can end up fleeing, here's another way. Now they're covered, here's what happens to stuff that flees.'

Gorbad Ironclaw
08-10-2007, 05:31
Yeah, that makes sense. You have covered all the reasons for why units must flee. And now that you have gotten to the end of the turn, it tells you how to handle it from there on.

DeathlessDraich
08-10-2007, 15:47
The 'Subsequent actions of fleeing troops' section could also be considered to not truely be a part of the Close Combat section. It is a box out, not part of the main text, suggesting to me that it is an important and universal ruling place at that part of the book because the 'basic rules' section has now come to a close and the 'basic' events that lead to fleeing have all been covered.

Yes and as T10 mentioned it works.

However the heading of this boxed section is misleading and was highlighted in a discussion at my club.

It states *Subsequent* actions. Actions after units have fled previously and not when they first flee. It is relevant to units that are *already fleeing* and not when units first flee e.g. as a charge reaction.

How would you refute this using the rules?

T10
08-10-2007, 16:56
You can't, really.

It seems that this is merely a natural way of resolving the issue of feeing movement that gaming groups have arrived at independently of each other.

You ask the question "Why do we do this?". It is because it is the natural and logical answer to "How do we do this?"

-T10