PDA

View Full Version : You think anyone would have problems with..

gorenut
03-10-2007, 22:32
me using Shadowsun as my Crises Suit Commander? I love the model, but I don't want to use the special character every game. I'd rather use it in place as my normal Crises commander.

==Me==
03-10-2007, 22:33
As long as your oppoenent was aware and the model was WYSIWYG, there's no problem.

VanHel
03-10-2007, 22:34
As long as you make it clear that its just a normal commander I wouldn't see anyone freaking out about it.

Eldarion
03-10-2007, 22:38
Just tell your opponent how your using the model, it'll be fine.

Lord_Squinty
03-10-2007, 22:45
Check with your opponent, unless you're taking twin meltas / whatever else shadowsun has - some may have a problem with hidden weapons and wargear.

bhusus
03-10-2007, 23:04
Only really uptight people who aren't worth playing against anyway

FateofChaos
03-10-2007, 23:28
Yea, what every one else said. I wouldt have a issue with it

mistformsquirrel
03-10-2007, 23:30
I think it'd be cool honestly <,< I like the Shadowsun model quite a bit. As long as you're willing to take the appropriate wargear or modify the suit appropriately; I see no problem with it <@-@>

Cry of the Wind
03-10-2007, 23:34
Like others have said as long as there is enough difference on the model to make it clear that it's not Shadowsun then there is no problem that I can see. Just make sure the model is on a 40mm base and not the 25mm that she comes with (as the normal Crisis Suit is only ever on 40mm+ bases).

Heck, I've used her as the base for my own conversion of the commander from Dawn of War. I've given him the same weapons (plasma rifle, flamer and missile pod) and have made him look as close to the computer game model as possible.

Zerosoul
03-10-2007, 23:38
Is it going to have the same kit as Shadowsun? Then no problem. If not, problem unless you convert, in which case, no problem again.

Hicks
04-10-2007, 00:19
If you convert it to have wysiwyg weapons and equipment I would have no objections (magnets are good for that). In fact, IF I ever started a Tau army, I would either use a converted Shadowsun or the DOW commander convertion from the French website as my commander.

M1A2 Commander
04-10-2007, 00:21
me using Shadowsun as my Crises Suit Commander? I love the model, but I don't want to use the special character every game. I'd rather use it in place as my normal Crises commander.

It's all good as long as the other guy/s know it's your commander and WYSIWYG!:)

Marius Xerxes
04-10-2007, 00:32
Ha i think WYSIWYG is kinda funny. Unless its the new APOC book your playing under, someone stated earlier in another forum that nowhere in the Main Rules is WYSIWYG actually a rule. Look it up for real.

Regardless most any player is ok with it id assume. Especially if your in a setting that you share your army list beforehand and they can see clearly what you have on the model. And if its just a friendly game.. then who cares. I always try things out before i go and spend time and money making conversions.

Ardathair
04-10-2007, 00:39
I've seen most other special character models used as regular characters before. (Eldrad, Abbadon, Ghazkhull, Ragnar, etc...) I have not seen anyone have a problem with it in those cases. I don't see why Shadowsun would be any different.

gorenut
04-10-2007, 00:57
I'm definitely going to give it the correct armament of weapons. My whole thing was, the model is smaller than a Crises suit (not sure by how much). I can see some people having problems with that. I suppose I can put it on the bigger base and possibly making it fancy by modeling the Shadowsun suit stepping over a big boulder.

GodHead
04-10-2007, 01:37
Ha i think WYSIWYG is kinda funny. Unless its the new APOC book your playing under, someone stated earlier in another forum that nowhere in the Main Rules is WYSIWYG actually a rule. Look it up for real.

Wow, how insightful. :rolleyes:

The thing is, it is in every single Codex.

"All weapons and wargear must be represented on the model."
Page 34 Imperial Guard Codex

"Any upgrades that are taken must be shown on the model."
Page 89 Chaos Codex.

I'll leave the rest for you to find. Look it up for real.

bhusus
04-10-2007, 02:47
I'll leave the rest for you to find. Look it up for real.

Oh no he di'int

But seriously, I can see some people complaining about the size of the model; I hadn't considered that - forget that its technically a souped up stealth suit and not a battlesuit. I think anything that makes it stand at about the right height should be okay though and it seems like you have a creative idea to do so, so I still don't see a problem.

UncleCrazy
04-10-2007, 05:48
I hate the Tau battle suits. And that is the only one of the suit minis that I like.

jfrazell
04-10-2007, 12:21
Rulewise: as noted, as long as it is WYSIWYG then its fine.

Visual: Although I like the majority of the Tau line (love those firewarrior minis), the suits are, as my twelve year old would say, lame. The one exception is the Shadowsun suit.

Fluff: Theme. The original suit was a prototype. Per your fluff/theme, they've moved beyond early experimental into a broader form of testing. I believe codex fluff also noted, she was just one cammander testing the new suit. Voila!

Gazak Blacktoof
04-10-2007, 12:27
Don't know what the price comparison is like but Forge World do some Tau suits that might be more to your liking. If I ever get round to doing a Tau force I'll be using those as they fit more closely with the imagery of the fire warriors.

Bregalad
04-10-2007, 15:14
Shadowsun wears a variant of the XV25 which is considerably smaller than Crisis Suits. I don't think though that anyone would have a problem with that in friendly games. Anyway, here are some taller alternatives:

1.) French DoW Commander (complex) conversion in Crisis Suit size:
http://fr.games-workshop.com/40k/tau/modelisme/o_kais/index.asp
2.) Forge World commander
3.) Urban Mammoth Suit (non-GW)

jfrazell
04-10-2007, 16:26
The FW one is nice.

Concerning the height issue, you could easily supply shadowsun on a base with the same height dimensions as a regular suit. I know of one opponent who has a crisis suit leaping off some rocks. Build the rocks such that the height of the suit is the same as a crisis suit.

Its the same method I used to convert my commander with wings to a monstrous creature. Stick him on a base with a large mound and it has the the same height requirements.

gorenut
07-10-2007, 09:24
I just saw Shadowsun in person today. Looks tiny.. almost smaller than a generic stealth suit. I'll have to rethink if I'm going to use the model for my commander.

Bregalad
07-10-2007, 12:17
At least the height should be the same, with the sculpted base. But have a look at the French conversion made for this purpose.