PDA

View Full Version : New PC

Disposable Hero
03-09-2005, 13:58
WOW!

Just heard that my new machine will be ready Monday!

It's a Asus 8SLN motherboard with an AMD 3500 Venice processor. A 7800 GTX videocard to boot and a gig of DDR400.

Cannot wait, cause I want to play Lock On and BF2!

Just venting...

nick
03-09-2005, 16:27
Nice spec... I recently got a new PC and went overboard on the hardware somewhat. I would love a 7800 GTX though as ATI drivers still have odd bugs (I was tempted to say "the odd bug" but considering what happens just plain odd seems better).

I'm currently on the following hardware and it really does a good job:
AMD Athlon X2 4200+ (2X 2.2Ghz Venice cores (i think) with 512K L2 cache)
Geil 1GB DDR3200 (2X512MB)
Gigabyte Fanless X800 XL
Asus A8N-SLI Premium (with cool heatpipe chipset cooler)
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS (Onboard sound is terrible compared to this)
Zalman Reserator 1 Water Cooler (slience is bliss)
76GB 10,000 RPM S-ATA HDD (Ex-Portent :))
2x 250GB 7200 RPM S-ATA hdds
Pioneer DVD+-RW
Samsung DVD Reader
ViewSonic 20.1" TFT
Hitachi 23" Widescreen TV

Before anyone questions the X2, try playing a DVD on one screen and browsing and running trillian on the other without any slowdown... Thats where the X2 is useful :)

I'm willing to take questions on systems people are considering as I'm getting to know all the tricks to use to build systems. I've also got a S-ATA Raid card floating around which I'm trying to find a use for. Anyone got any ideas?

Nick

Brother Bob
04-09-2005, 13:59
sounds cool m8 i bought a new vid card a week ago i was really happy and excited about cuz i could play BF2 then. but i didn`t fit on my motherbord , :rolleyes: so i got a cheaper one that does fit pretty happy about it. i just have the feeling i have a whole new pc ;)
well have fun with it :D (oh yea and you Do know that bf2 doesn`t support all vid cards?)

~BB~

nick
04-09-2005, 14:05
sounds cool m8 i bought a new vid card a week ago i was really happy and excited about cuz i could play BF2 then. but i didn`t fit on my motherbord , :rolleyes: so i got a cheaper one that does fit pretty happy about it. i just have the feeling i have a whole new pc ;)
well have fun with it :D (oh yea and you Do know that bf2 doesn`t support all vid cards?)

~BB~
If you are looking at a new card I would suggest only considering the Nvidia 6x00 series or the ATI X700 or X800 series cards for battlefield 2. Its a great game, but they put a lot of strain on your GFX.

Nick

Disposable Hero
04-09-2005, 17:39
Ah, the PCI-e slot trick!

Got it all covered, even played Half Life 2 for a few hours on a friends machine.

Lardidar
06-09-2005, 13:51
http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/matrix_1_5.htm

Can you take a look at that and tell me what you think.

My main uses will be help with studies, Gaming (WoW and DoW) on decent settings, and Warseer.

I am a muppet when it comes to comps, all just looks like letters and numbers to me :)

Thanks for the help.

PS - Have maybe 1000 to spend if you see anything better.

Chuffy
06-09-2005, 16:17
Very nice, some good choices. Heres mine:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 processor (at some point I might get a Dual Channel one, however the Dual Channel ones around now can't stand up for this in sheer power)
1GB of DDR RAM (3200) (2X512MB)
2x GeForce 7800's
nForce4-SLI Motherboard
2x 200GB SATA 7200rpm HDD's
19" monitor TFT LCD
16x DVD-ROM
DVD-RW 16x/ CD-RW x40
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
6x USB2.0 ports

Lardidar
06-09-2005, 16:28
Very nice, some good choices. Heres mine:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 processor (at some point I might get a Dual Channel one, however the Dual Channel ones around now can't stand up for this in sheer power)
1GB of DDR RAM (3200) (2X512MB)
2x GeForce 7800's
nForce4-SLI Motherboard
2x 200GB SATA 7200rpm HDD's
19" monitor TFT LCD
16x DVD-ROM
DVD-RW 16x/ CD-RW x40
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
6x USB2.0 ports

Were you talking about the one in my link?

It scares me to drop 1k on something I know very little about and all input would be great.

What's the advantage of two grapics cards?

Ravening Wh0re
06-09-2005, 17:13
Wow a Zalman cooler. *envy*

Although I'm loathe to put any kind of wetness near my beloved :(

Guess I'm not barve enough to risk it

The Machine GoD
06-09-2005, 17:34
Id hate to be the person but buying new pcs at this current stage made be a mistake. With the new development of Windows Vista all hardware will be changing period. Harddrives will be making leaps and bounds in data transfer rate, new video cards etc...

nick
06-09-2005, 19:23
Id hate to be the person but buying new pcs at this current stage made be a mistake. With the new development of Windows Vista all hardware will be changing period. Harddrives will be making leaps and bounds in data transfer rate, new video cards etc...
Thats not true, Vista will not be coming with much of the promised changes you probably mean. They are trying to prevent the Trusted Computing requirements being forced upon it for example.

I have the Beta at work which I'm meaning to try but I can assure you now is an interesting time to buy a computer. There are so many things in transition, Concurrency is becoming more and more common (dual core, dual gfx etc...), physics cards are going to be appearing in the next year or so, S-ATA has more or less replaced IDE as the standard. Theres much more I can mention but this post would be huge. As for transfer rates of hard disks, to be honest this is hardly changing. S-ATA 2 might double the bandwidth but nearly every drive on the market cannot use that bandwidth. Also the thing most people forget is that nearly all hard drives arn't used to stream data, they are limited by the seek time of the disk. This is directly proportional to the rotation speed and therefore hasn't changed since the step from 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm unless you get a scsi drive or a WD Raptor.

As there are big question marks over the changes Machine God mentions I suggest being careful about writing off a new computer completely. Yes things are changing, but they always change in IT. If you are considering a new computer don't expect your computer to be future proof as the future is almost impossible to predict and you could be waiting years before we see these changes. (Btw in case your interested there is some talk about putting audio onto the GFX board, the problem is these components don't play nicely together as audio is very sensitive to the electrical noise a high power gpu. creates. If you don't believe me anandtech.com have some good tests where they found that a pci audio board beside a geforce had a noticable noise compared to the same system with the audio board further away.

Nick

Chuffy
06-09-2005, 20:04
Were you talking about the one in my link?

It scares me to drop 1k on something I know very little about and all input would be great.

What's the advantage of two grapics cards?

Well I was refering to the original posters, but the one you linked to is good too. If you're going to be using it for things like DoW and WoW then it's easily able to handle that.

Disposable Hero
07-09-2005, 08:43
Finally got my machine at home and I must say I am mightlily impressed.

Not so much by the specs of the machine but by the sheer unwillingness of computerstores to provide any kind of service. My group of friends usually are very close in updating PCs because we have LAN parties and such. I heard a lot of stories about different stores and problems with delivery and such, but I choose a new store, which none of us used before.
Well, there were problems getting the quotation, getting a clear delivery date, troubles with everything. Bastardtubbiecomputerfreaksinshops!

Anyway, the machine runs smoothly after a friend of mine had a good and hard look at it, and playing BF2 is a joy!
Tonight I will be installing my flightsims, which will be sweet! :)

Ravening Wh0re
07-09-2005, 13:05
(Btw in case your interested there is some talk about putting audio onto the GFX board, the problem is these components don't play nicely together as audio is very sensitive to the electrical noise a high power gpu. creates. If you don't believe me anandtech.com have some good tests where they found that a pci audio board beside a geforce had a noticable noise compared to the same system with the audio board further away.

Nick

Ooh, I didn't know that! I've gotta go and open my pc and check it out....

nick
07-09-2005, 19:42
Ooh, I didn't know that! I've gotta go and open my pc and check it out....
If your audio is built into the main board you will also notice much more noise than a pci board or riser board. This is why ABit use a riser for their audio, the DAC (the bit which converts the digital signal to audio) and the ports are the main things on their riser which gives you quality exceeding an on board solution.

Creative listed some comparisions between the two but they were written to compare between on board and their X-Fi which isn't that useful, its a shame they refused to compare the X-Fi with the Live or Audigy but I guess they didn't want to affect the sales of the other boards. They could have at least compared against another companies PCI board...

Nick

lord_fenric
09-09-2005, 17:42
ViewSonic 20.1" TFT

Would that be the VP201B?

If so what's your oppinoin of it, especially relating to the response time, as its the monitor i'm looking at getting.

nick
09-09-2005, 18:13
Would that be the VP201B?

If so what's your oppinoin of it, especially relating to the response time, as its the monitor i'm looking at getting.
Its actually the S but near enough. I'm pleased with it, the response is not noticable in DVDs like futurama (unlike my Hitachi which blurs to the point you cannot see anything when the camera pans).

For gaming it seems fine, I'm not a great FPS expert but I have played doom3 and Battlefield 2 with it without problems. The claimed refresh rate is 16ms which I'm inclined to believe. Your other choice would probably be the which I decided against based on a couple of aspects. Firstly you need an external power block transformer (the ViewSonic is built in) and I've never been impressed with Dell build quality even with a 4 year warranty. One point I do miss is the composite in... which would have been a nice addition.

Nick

Sojourner
09-09-2005, 18:26
I have an X800 and the graphics in BF2 are fairly nifty. I could do with a larger draw distance for air combat but otherwise I'm limited by ping rather than processing.

nick
09-09-2005, 18:47
I have an X800 and the graphics in BF2 are fairly nifty. I could do with a larger draw distance for air combat but otherwise I'm limited by ping rather than processing.
The X800 or the X800 XL? The later has more pipelines :)

Do you get any odd artifacts when you play BF2? I seem to get these odd polys which stick out and go to infinity. It looks really odd on one of the water maps as there are these spikes vertically out of the terrain.

Nick

Sojourner
09-09-2005, 18:50
X800 Pro. I'm gutted because it's an AGP card and though costing a fortune, is now old hat.

I must say the first graphics problem I had was just now. All the textures screwed up and ended up looking like patchwork quilts. I presume it's not permanent.

nick
09-09-2005, 19:14
X800 Pro. I'm gutted because it's an AGP card and though costing a fortune, is now old hat.

I must say the first graphics problem I had was just now. All the textures screwed up and ended up looking like patchwork quilts. I presume it's not permanent.
Thats normally caused by the card running too hot, as the memory and core run hotter corruption is more likely. This is especially likely in this humid weather :(

Nick

Sojourner
09-09-2005, 19:16
Odd, it's been hot before and never happened. I've had it seemingly at random with other PCs though.