PDA

View Full Version : What gun should I buy next?

Trench_Raider
03-09-2005, 12:59
Airsoft gun that is...

Ok, I'm replacing out my old Marui m16vn for a newer model. no reason in particular...simply want a new toy. I know most of you here are not airsoft players, so much of the information regarding the guns will not mean anything. however you can cote based upon looks or familiarity with the real steel model.

In no particular order they are as follows:

The Marui m14.
http://airsoftextreme.com/images/ggm14wood.jpg
(ignore the scope and bipod in the linked photo)

This is a classic Vietnam era battle rifle. It's long barel means good range and accuracy and it has a large battery. However it's size makes it bulky and there is not alot of ad-ons for this model.

The G&G UMP
http://www.hkpro.com/ump.htm
Note that's the real steel in the linked page..but you get the idea!

This is a replica of the H&K UMP submachinegun. Counterstrike players will recognize this one. The replica has a big magazine for a SMG sied gun and has four RIS rails to hang things on. However it has poor range and accuracy and uses one of those awful "stick" batteries.

The Classic Army G36
http://airsoftextreme.com/images/ca004p.jpg

Our German members will recognize this as the standard issue rifle of their armed forces. The replica once again has good range and accuracy yet has a folding stock to reduce the bulkiness of the gun. Also the full metal construciotn means it has a nice wieght. However Classic Army is a "hit or miss" copany in terms of quality and the replica uses a small battery. Also it lacks any rails for accesories.

The Classic Army G36k
http://airsoftextreme.com/images/ca003p.jpg

This is just the shorter version of the above gun. The main differences are the shorter barel and the three prong flash hider.

vote and feel free to add your input now!

"Trench Raider"
toy gun and real steel geek......

Robot 2000
03-09-2005, 13:00
personally I'd go for the G36K because they're so damn sexy, and because of CA's rather notable recent improvements in quality control ;)

Wiseman
03-09-2005, 13:37
i agree with robot 2000, it is a damn sexy gun

Sikkukkut
03-09-2005, 14:24
I voted "Other", for this one (http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/753d/).

N'bel
03-09-2005, 14:30
The Marui m14, you could dish out some sweet vengence with that thing :D

Thoume
03-09-2005, 15:17
When I used to play it I used mainly a Glock (forgotten what number, but a semi/full auto gas blowback), and occasionally an electric MP5. If I was to go back into it, and had the knowledge to put one together, then I'd make a BB crossbow or make a sci-fi replica of something (do bolters spring to mind?)

Or if I had a silly amount of cash (I tried to go cheap back then), then the minigun!

Otherwise I wouldn't know what to look for in a BB gun, other than springs are cheap but not pratical in games, gas is expensive to upkeep but to a certain degree reliable, and electric seems to be in the middle...

vforvenator
03-09-2005, 15:20
Not being too familiar on modern firearms, may I suggest a Partridge Mortar?
Or else a movable bush, a cosh and the element of surprise.

Samoth
03-09-2005, 15:22
Seems like the m14 would be best for accuracy and range (or not?) but if not that (and doesnt it only hold ten rounds?) then I'd go G36K.

Wiseman
03-09-2005, 15:29
wait what about a flamethrower that would be the best option:D

Nid
03-09-2005, 18:44
I've always been partial to the utilitarian look of the UMP.

But just for giggles I'd get the gas blowback Steyr TMP. (http://game.dubna.ru/img/18/57_pv_steyr_tmp.jpg) I just think its awesome :D

sigur
03-09-2005, 19:27
I'd vote for the G36k. It's really sexy, although there's sexier stuff around. And I still think that the UMP is just butt-ugly.

starlight
03-09-2005, 20:14
Range and accuracy, nothing else matters. Sexy doesn't do you much good when you're dead. If I played Airsoft, I'd hold out for a Steyr AUG HBAR/T with HK79.

However, my vote seconds Sikkukkut :D because it's one that I might actually buy!

Kohhna
03-09-2005, 20:20
Don't fancy the look of those German ones. If it was me I'd go for an AK, but I expect everyone will have one of those. M14, looks classy.

Icewalker
03-09-2005, 22:07
I was going to say deagle until I read that this was Airsoft guns in which case I don't know. sorry bout that.

Reabe
03-09-2005, 22:49
Until I read the first post, I was going to say:
"A water one."

Anyway, I have no idea about these things and this post was just to show off my joke. Ahem.

Lord of ???
04-09-2005, 01:38
Get the M14 witht he add ons shown and go get yourself a Guilee (Sp?) suit

Penitent
04-09-2005, 06:56
Sounds to me like you need to make a choice between utility/reliability and cool-factor.

The german rifle sounds more appealing in terms of add-ons, but if the choice were up to me, I'd go for the M-14, for accuracy and reliability. At least, that's what I look for in paintball guns.

WLBjork
04-09-2005, 08:05
Well, of your original choices I'd go for the M14, on the grounds that it's the most reliable.

I'd probably be looking at a modern 5.56mm rifle for my own weapon, or possibly a G3SAS.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
04-09-2005, 08:18
Im getting a g3sas soon :D

My favourite from this list would have to be the g36k...a very reliable, tough, all around good gun (a friend of mine has one and he loves it)

I have the mp5k right now, not much range on it, but its still a fun-ass gun to use. I need to put maybe 50 bbs in someones general direction to hit them if they are over 20 feet away :)

Pillx
04-09-2005, 11:22
I suppose it depends on whether or not you just "plink" with it, or you plan on "rolling around in the dirt" a lot with it for starters...
If for sheer looks, I kind of like the UMP myself.
Otherwise, if you want all the crazy cool factor, you can get the G36 with the modded and working optical rail.
...or if you're truly insane, you can plunk down money for one of those Thompson conversions of the Aliens pulse rifle with the working number counter...

From a real life utility standpoint, I'm not impressed with the performance of the 5.56 even though I like that you can carry a ton of shots and the "out of the box" accuracy found in the "AR15 family" of rifles. I'm more of a battle rifle person.

Ravening Wh0re
04-09-2005, 13:25
I'm rather partial to UMPs myself so I voted that.

Does the M14 have real wood? If so, I'd snap that up in an instant. (never seen any Tokyo Marui gunz with real wood)

ps, it's this one right? http://www.tokyo-marui.co.jp/products/01/m14/index.html

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
04-09-2005, 13:39
Wow....the m14 is amazing....

Pillx
04-09-2005, 23:23
Is there something like the SOPMOD available for the airsoft M14s?

If so, I'd say get an M14 if it's of a durable build. .308 FTW!

Slappy
05-09-2005, 06:10
I have used every single AEG in a skirmish at one point or another and I can tell you from years of experience the G36c is the best airsoft gun to get.

Don't gay it out. No K. No long version. No silencers. No "replica" carry handle sights. Take all the rails off the handguard and don't use any gay vertical grips.

Get the C and get it in stock config. Then get 3 hi-caps. If you need to, mount a good red dot on the carry handle rail. Perfect airsoft config.

Trench_Raider
05-09-2005, 16:37
Thanks to those who gave serious replies on this one. Now for a couple of assorted personal responses:

Tyranid05:

But just for giggles I'd get the gas blowback Steyr TMP. I just think its awesome

I've got a gas blowback MAC11 that I often carry in a drop-leg holster as a back-up gun. I agree that gas machinepistols are a hoot.

Kohhna:

Don't fancy the look of those German ones. If it was me I'd go for an AK, but I expect everyone will have one of those. M14, looks classy.

I already have an AK. See the pic of me in the profile on my blog. :D They are probably the third most popular airsoft AEG around here. The first two being M16/M4 style guns and the various MP5 series SMGs. I agree the M14 looks classy. I've always like the older designs. (thus the Vietnam era M16 that I'm replacing.)

Penitent:

Sounds to me like you need to make a choice between utility/reliability and cool-factor.

Most airsoft AEGs perform in a very similar manner out of the box. thus it's mostly the latter. After alle is all about asthestics (otherwise would be playing paintball with the "kew1 D0oDs" using guns that look like water faucets!).

WLBjork:

or possibly a G3SAS.

I have a G3SAS. Mine has been fitted with a full length stock for better battery storage, is upgraded to 400 fps, and has a number of other features. I use it as my "brush gun". (that is to say I use it in areas with very tght terrain, but not in CQB games) I'll have to post a picture of it later. Many people don't care for the SAS sue to the fact that it's not a real world design. That really doesn;t bother me too much.

"l33t speak" guy:

I have the mp5k right now, not much range on it, but its still a fun-ass gun to use. I need to put maybe 50 bbs in someones general direction to hit them if they are over 20 feet away

Yeah, MP5ks are a lot of fun. I use one in indoor CQB games. I also bring it along as a back-up incase something happens to my main gun. I used it in the woods one time when my M16 blew a fuse and suprisingly no one had an extra handy. I found it to be suprisingly accurate for a gun of it's size and think you are exagerating just a little bit.

Ravening wh0re:

Does the M14 have real wood? If so, I'd snap that up in an instant. (never seen any Tokyo Marui gunz with real wood)

No. all Marui guns come with faux wood stocks. (that on the AK is very convincing, though... Someone is already making a wood replacement stock for the M14 for about 100$US. Yes, the gun you linked to is the one I am considering. I linked to a photo of the G&G m14 by mistake.

Slappy:

Don't gay it out......any gay vertical grips.

Charming.
I'm not a homosexual myself (and am in fact quite opposed to the radical homosexual agenda) thus am not personally offended. But I have always thought the use of "gay" as a gerneric way of saying "bad" was very juvenile.
take that as you want to...

"Trench Raider"

Trench_Raider
05-09-2005, 21:15
Ok, here is that photo of my little G3SAS that I said I would post.
http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/2577/size/big/ppuser/192

As you can see it's been fitted with a full length stock so I can use a 9 or 10 volt battery as well as a fore-grip and a cheap laser projection sight. (the latter accesory paid for itself in spades back in Febuary when we had a big 100+ player all night game) The silencer is a Marui "Knight's" and is purely for show.

It has another RIS rail on the other side. I'm planning on either adding a tac-light or a litle two shot mini-MOSCART launcher for use at close range when i can't be bothered to draw my pistol. (For non-airsoft players that is a gas powered launcher that acts like a shotgun....most airsoft "grenade launchers" are in fact MOSCARTS)

It's been upgraded to 400 fps, so it has excellent range, but with a very short inner barrel it tends to throw them all over the place at the end of it's range bracket.

It's an alll around good gun. It's rock solid, but light enough to carry all day without a problem. The down side for many people for this design is that it is not based upon a real world firearm. In fact, it is an impossible design due to the fact that the cocking handle is too short to chamber a 7.62 round....not to mention the real world practicality of a gun with a six inch barrel shooting such a beefy round. But that doesn't bother me too much.

"Trench Raider"

Freak Ona Leash
05-09-2005, 21:38
So you're actually going to go around and shoot people with this or is it just there for target shooting? sorry to drag off-topic, but if it is the former then I just might put down my paintball gun and go get my an Airsoft Kalashnikov and start shooting up people with that...

Slappy
05-09-2005, 22:21
Charming.
I'm not a homosexual myself (and am in fact quite opposed to the radical homosexual agenda) thus am not personally offended. But I have always thought the use of "gay" as a gerneric way of saying "bad" was very juvenile.
take that as you want to...

Oddly enough, where I come from, it's mostly normal for an adult to use gay in that sense. I hear it to so often, and by men and women, young and old, that I don't even think twice about using it like that, in public, school, work, anywhere. No one seems to care.

Freak Ona Leash
05-09-2005, 23:36
But of course, due to forum rules, if a member finds it offensive here, you must stop using it in that sense. Not that I find it offensive (Freak is guilty of using it that way to) but still...

Trench_Raider
06-09-2005, 03:52
So you're actually going to go around and shoot people with this or is it just there for target shooting? sorry to drag off-topic, but if it is the former then I just might put down my paintball gun and go get my an Airsoft Kalashnikov and start shooting up people with that...

I skirmish with them of course. Real steel firearms are for target shooting! :D

If you can locate an organized arisoft group near you, you owe it to yourself to go check the game out. It is rather like paintball was back before the big companies and it becoming "kewl" ruined it.

For those who are still not clear as to what the game we are talking about is like, I recomend the following FAQ and site:
http://austinairsoft.com/forums/faq.php?faq=lsa_faq_item0#faq_airsoft_faq_item1

On the subject of "gay" as an insult, please don't get me wrong. I'm about as far from being PC as they come and refuse to temper my own speach in order not to offend (most instances of people bieng "offended" by something is their own damned fault after all). However freely using "gay' as an insult just makes you sound like a child, an idiot, or both. I'm sure most here will agree.

"Trench Raider"

Trench_Raider
28-09-2005, 01:14
Sorry to "necro" a thread.
However I figured the handfull of other Warseer airsoft fans would be interested in what I finally decided on.
Here you have it:
http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2609&cat=500

A brand new Classic Arm G36k! It arrived about two hours ago.

I have not had the chance to shoot it yet (it uses a mini battery and my charger is slow) but externally this is one rock solid and good looking gun! About the the only bad thing I can say about the design at this point is that the built in scope has not got the best eye relief going and will problably make snap shooting difficult. Ah well....that's what red dots are for!

"Trench Raider"
like a proud new papa!

PSD
28-09-2005, 01:22
Nice. Very nice.

I just recently bought a Marui M4A1, and the M203 Grenade Launcher upgrade to go with it.

Still want a M1 Carbine though. Sexy sexy gun.

Kohhna
28-09-2005, 01:43
M203 Grenade Launcher upgrade
Pardon me for being stupid but how does a grenade launcher work when you're doing soft pellet shooting? Is it purely for aesthetic purposes or does it fire soft pellet grenades or something?

Trench_Raider
28-09-2005, 01:58
Kohhna, your not stupid at all. Your not an airsoft player, so you have no point of reference. no shame in that at all...after all this is very much a fringe hobby. "Grenade launchers" on airsoft replicas are not really grenade launchers at all. In reality they act rather like large shotguns. These come in two types. First is the style produced by Tokyo Marui which act like a pump action gun. It's a sring powered weapon with three barrels. Thus each shot of a Marui launcher fires three BBs. Not very impressive eh? The other type are the various MOSCART (don't ask me what that means) launchers. These things actually load a gas powered shell that that fires off a load of BBs with an impressive "bang". These hold and fire in one shot as few as 20 BBs and as many as 150. Recently they had released MOSCARTS that fire off a single large foam sabot that simulate a grenade. However these have yet to catch on as it requires more than a little honesty to call oneself out if in the theoretical blast radius of one of these things.

But honestly, both styles of launcher are of limited use when you consider that they are hung on the bottom of a an electric BB gun that fires 700 rounds per minute! Most people get them simply for show.
Oh yes, and btw, these things do not shoot soft pellets. The BBs are hard plastic. The "soft" in airsoft is meant that they shoot at a lower velocity than traditional airguns.

PSD-Nice. what kind of 203 did you mount on the M4? I have never heard anyone describe a M1 carbine as "sexy". heh. However I have alot of range time with the real steel and they are light and handy little rifles. I think Marushen makes at least two different gas powered M1s.

"Trench Raider"
who caught a MOSCART load full in the chest from about 30 feet a couple of months ago....

Kohhna
28-09-2005, 03:01
Well I have been out doing the airsoft wargame thing once at my cousins stag party. This was a few days before the Wedding and it was pretty good fun. I'd probably go again if there was a facillity anywhere near where I live and I had people to go with.

Basically it was us, [me, the groom and his mates, my Dad, the bride's (my cousin) Dad (who is a tough bloke, Karate instructor y'know) and her brother] pitched as a team against the regulars who all showed up with their own weapons and obviously knew what they were doing and completely slaughtered us.

The funniest thing was my dad, who is a bit of a physical coward, who took off into the bushes and wasn't seen by anyone for hours at a time. He had a huge bushy USB style beard and everyone referred to him as "The Taleban" for the whole day. Personally I think he was more Hiro Onoda. I'd come back for a cup of tea in the portacabin that we were using as a base at the end of the game and ask "has anyone seen m'Da?" to be told he was still out there hiding in the bush.

During one of the games my Uncle held one of the airsoft machine guns, that was going full tilt, into his belly while he shot the guy behind the gun to claim victory for our team, it was declared a draw. You could still see the marks for weeks after.

By mid-day we were mainly too stoned to care about "the rules" and had worked out the other lads didn't care either and spent the rest of the time just trying to shoot each other as often as possible.

I got one guy myself, the battery of the gun ran out and I had to go back to base to get a new gun, when I came back I saw one of the other team was hiding pressed up against a wall, all things being fair in love and war I heroicly shot him in the back. And then three of his mates shot me.

Good fun.

TitusAndronicus
28-09-2005, 03:25
Your list desn't include on ethat will blow up in your face comically every time a video camera is nearby, so I didn't vote.

violenceha
28-09-2005, 03:42
i own a bazooka but i can't find where i put it last time i moved, i wanna see if i can sell it on ebay

TitusAndronicus
28-09-2005, 04:00
WTF? How does one lose a bazooka? WTF?

violenceha
28-09-2005, 04:09
i used to keep it in the car for when people pissed me off, then never expect you to lean out the window with a bazooka. it had already been fired but they didn't know that. the looks on their faces

PSD
28-09-2005, 09:55
PSD-Nice. what kind of 203 did you mount on the M4? I have never heard anyone describe a M1 carbine as "sexy". heh. However I have alot of range time with the real steel and they are light and handy little rifles. I think Marushen makes at least two different gas powered M1s.

The 203 i have is this one:

Link (http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idproduct=261)

As for the M1, i think its sexy, slap a 4x40 scope on it, and have it realsteeled, and its gorgeous. Getting a silencer adaptor, then one of the Marui Knights silencers just adds to the effect. *drools absentmindedly* :D

x-esiv-4c
28-09-2005, 17:45
M14, a classicly built weapon that deserves recognition.

wazzdakka
29-09-2005, 06:23
I love this thread. :D Me and my co-workers have about $3,000 USD worth of Airsoft guns in the ship's armory than we use to settle disputes :p My baby is a slightly upgraded G3 SAS that I've never had a problem with other than the occasional misfeed (due to the hop-up and the fact that I use .33 gram BBs) which is solved quickly by poking a clearing rod into the chamber over the mag well. It's just as powerful as a G36 but a lot smaller (and if you attach a tac-sling you can brace it by pushing it to the extent of the sling, and keep your accuracy, which this gun is awesome at - one of my friends has an SR-16, this thing is just as accurate, only with marginally less range). You can get them at www.tokyohobby.com (possibly .net, I forget) for, if I recall, $176 USD or so, which is the best price I've ever seen for them, Internet or brick-and-mortar. They've got a nice selection of other Airsoft stuff there, mostly Tokyo Marui and a few others, it's a good site.

marv335
29-09-2005, 13:23
you need one of these (http://wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=VULCAN) . sell a kidney if you have to.

Ravening Wh0re
29-09-2005, 14:20
you need one of these (http://wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=VULCAN) . sell a kidney if you have to.

Saw one in a shop in Causeway Bay. It's hella expensive