PDA

View Full Version : RANT - Steam can suck my ass.

Boondock Saint
03-09-2005, 16:56
So... I reformatted my computer (kudos to Yodhrin) and I am reinstalling all of my games and programs...

Well, I get around to doing Half-Life 2, everything goes fine, I get ready to go play some CS and then the bombshell drops.

It asks for my CD-Key... fine, no problem, let me just find it, ya there it is. Okay, type it in, we'll be golden. So I type it in. Temporary wait, as they register the CD-Key. It is at this precise point that **** hits the fan.

Apparently, even though I am logged in under my account, Steam, in all it's glory, realizes that hey, this cd-key is already registered to an account. Nevermind the fact that it may be the account that is currently logged in on the very computer that entered the key. Wtf?

So, I go to their 'help' site. I find the correct Q&A and proceed to read. My jaw drops. Apparently, in order for my CD-Key to be reset, I have to ********** mail my goddamn box along with the cd's so that I can prove its mine. What the ****? On top of that, they will charge my a $10.00 handling fee.

WEEEEEE I shout in child like glee, as I just got taken for a ride.

Seriously, this is the most ******** I have ever seen in my career of online gaming. Anyone else go through similar? Is there a way around this?

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
03-09-2005, 17:07
Well, since you live in the US, you could always sue them

I hate steam, it f*cked up my computer bad.

A good way to fix this is forget about counter strike, and get battlefield 2, since its 5 billion times better.

Thoume
03-09-2005, 17:34
Thanks for the warning though. I was thinking of reinstalling Half-Life once I get a DVD drive back on my PC (the old one was playing up and I'm just using a normal CD drive atm). Perhaps UT2004 won't be too much of a problem (that also needing a DVD drive).

Cheesejoff
03-09-2005, 17:37
Did you upgrade your motherboard? Because IIRC the Steam Key is registered to your motherboard number. I also had my hard drive re-formatted a few weeks ago and Steam works just fine.

The only other option is that someone has an illegal key-gen and has hacked your key. In this case, send an email to Valve saying that you think your key may have been hacked.

But yes BF2, even BF'Nam is better than CS. Because the BF games own!

Mouldsta
03-09-2005, 18:06
Well i've just had to do something similar to you, but haven't had any of the problems (all my stuff was on my pc at uni, and I now want it on my home pc as it's the only one connected to broadband).

What you do is log into steam, go to browse games, and all the games you own (that have been registered on steam) will have the option of "download and install" - simply click that and let it download and update, then you're free to play.

Wisdom
03-09-2005, 18:30
I had a problem with steam whereby i had to buy a new half life. Apparently someone had used a program (forgot what) to steal my cd key. Apparently it happened to a lot of people. had to go without dod for a week. no where near aa bad as now with my crappy 56k connection at home. nearly 3 months without my precious precious dod

Lexx
04-09-2005, 05:10
I had a similar issue with crivethrurpg.net, I downed some 'free' files they were advertising and later, when i changed mainboards after a meltdown, I could not access the 'free' files. Contacting drivethrurpg got me told "yeah we know about that, sorry' and that was that.

Shinobi
04-09-2005, 15:42
Death To The Steam! X( X( X(

RazorUnit
04-09-2005, 20:11
I can no longer play DoD because steam went tits up..........

Jedi152
05-09-2005, 08:49
I had a problem with my DoD.

Someone had obviously used a hack to steal my cd-key, as half the time it wouldn't let me play as 'this Cd-Key is in use.' :mad:

Pillx
06-09-2005, 07:34
Steam broke consistantly on me out of the blue. I don't know what happened. I only play DoD with Steam these days anyway... I ended up removing it from my computer since it was just taking up room at that point. Every time I got into a game, the whole thing would crash on me in maybe 30 seconds at best.... What a PoS... :mad:

KingNic
06-09-2005, 18:14
Weelllll sorry to say it guys, but the error exists entirely between the keyboard and the chair.

Steam. Works.

Shut up before you click that reply button. Yes, in earlier versions there were bugs. Huge bugs. Bugs which shouldn't have been there. The buggiest POS software that I know? Early versions of Steam. Now? It's fine.

When you reinstall to a different computer, you login using your old Steam login. That's the beauty of it. You don't register again, you don't enter your CD Key again. If it's asking you for another CD Key then you've screwed up somewhere - perhaps logged in on the wrong account. I know this is true. I've reinstalled Steam dozens of times, I've shown other people how to reinstall steam. IT WORKS. You are the error here.

If steam is crashing then your computer is screwed up. You have virus's, or spyware, or broken drivers or your Steam is corrupt. Heck, it might not've finished downloading everything it needs yet.

Yes there were huge problems in the transition between WON and Steam. If you didn't register your Half-Life CD Key straight away then chances are someone would register it on their own account and lock you out. Yes, there wasn't enough bandwidth for the HL2 launch. No, VAC does not ban people for no reason. If you hack, it bans you. If you're banned, then you have hacked. If you haven't hacked, then you haven't been banned. No, steam is not broken. The source of the error is sat right in your chair.

WLBjork
06-09-2005, 19:04
Oh, there are still problems, but they are minor, and usually only require you to delete clientregistry.blob to get it working again.

The most commonly posted problem is with downloads freezing - even I've experienced this, but with perseverence it can be cured - just delete clientregistry.blob* and it should sort out.

Steam V3 is due for release any time soon.

*may take several attempts.

Chuffy
06-09-2005, 19:08
Gotta agree with Kingnic, Steam right now is pretty much stable as it can be. I've had no problems using it at all.

Plus you have to remember that Steam is really the first thing of it's kind, alot of new big games are going to be using Steam or a Steam like distribution system. For the first thing of it's kind, steam is absolutely amazing.

Pillx
06-09-2005, 21:07
Yes yes, I know it probably works better now and I probably had a corrupt file somewhere which basically means it's not between the KB and Chair but in the box. I think I've gamed with Half Life long enough and it's time for me to move on anyway. I'm cutting Valve off until I see TF2 wich probably won't happen in a very long time.

Catterjee
07-09-2005, 04:34
I think I've gamed with Half Life long enough and it's time for me to move on anyway. I'm cutting Valve off until I see TF2 wich probably won't happen in a very long time.
I expect it will be released roughly a week before Duke Nukem Forever.

neXus6
07-09-2005, 19:22
Catterjee, you can't possibly mean that game thats release was found written as "in a month" in egyption heiroglyphs.
:p

Pillx
08-09-2005, 04:09
Yeah. Pretty much. Vaporware material...

I expect it will be released roughly a week before Duke Nukem Forever.

New Cult King
11-09-2005, 02:24
I uninstalled Steam because I was jack-********ing-sick of it popping up each time I stared my computer telling me I wasn't connected online, and would I like to retry?

Now I can't even play Half Life 2 at all until I reinstall the ********ing thing. Such a pain in the ****.

Chuffy
11-09-2005, 08:11
I uninstalled Steam because I was jack-********ing-sick of it popping up each time I stared my computer telling me I wasn't connected online, and would I like to retry?

Now I can't even play Half Life 2 at all until I reinstall the ********ing thing. Such a pain in the ****.

?

Oh no! I hate when it pops up once! Grrr, it gives me so much teen angst.

I can honestly say that is the worst reason for uninstalling something ever.

lord_blackfang
11-09-2005, 10:10
?

And I can honestly say it's one of the best. Why would I leave some irritating POS on my hard drive if it annoys me every time I turn on my PC?

And what's the deal with not even being able to play the single-player campaign if you don't have an internet connection? That's just plain retarded.

Mouldsta
11-09-2005, 12:40
And I can honestly say it's one of the best. Why would I leave some irritating POS on my hard drive if it annoys me every time I turn on my PC?

Because there's a tick box under options that stops it doing exactly this? If you don't want it to pop up every time you turn on the pc, untick the box marked "run steam when windows starts"

Seriously, both the complaints (bar the ones of "it goes funny sometimes") that it's a worthless POS because it won't accept the CD key and it pops up whenever you start, aren't because it's useless and badly designed, it's simply because the user can't work it properly.

Can't reinstall halflife 2 because it won't accept the cd key again? Go onto steam, go to browse games, find half life 2 and click "download and install" - no CD key nonsense, no fuss. I thought this was a great feature as when I changed pc's I didn't need to go find all my cd's and keys etc, I could reinstall all my games simply by clicking them off of steam.

Keeps popping up when you turn on the pc? Uncheck the box that makes it do this - it's under settings, interface.

Remember, most of the time if it's not working properly, it's probably because you're doing something wrong/haven't config'd the options properly. Slightly offensive, but non the less true was my old computer programming friend's favourite expression; "never underestimate the stupidity of users"

The only thing I find bad about steam is that you need the internet to be able to play halflife 2, something I find a bit odd.

New Cult King
11-09-2005, 13:01
?

Wow. Does somebody have a little sand in their vagina? :p

The whole concept of Steam bugs the **** out of me. I hate being unable to play a single player game offline because there are several hundred megabytes worth of updates that need downloading first yada yada yada.

No sir, I don't like it.

Chuffy
11-09-2005, 15:56
The whole concept of Steam bugs the **** out of me. I hate being unable to play a single player game offline because there are several hundred megabytes worth of updates that need downloading first yada yada yada.

Negatory.

The only time I needed to run an update was...oh wait, it does it automatically anyway so I don't notice.

In fact the only time I had to wait to play any game on steam was when I first played it.

KingNic
11-09-2005, 16:43
And what's the deal with not even being able to play the single-player campaign if you don't have an internet connection? That's just plain retarded.

It's not Steam that's retarded. Again this is an old problem that has BEEN FIXED. You play the single player episode offline by starting Steam when you're not online. Steam'll try to connect, fail and then as you if you want to retry or start it in offline mode. Start it in offline mode and VOILA! Offline single player.

No, heaven forbid that someone tries to make the updating process easier and decides to essentially cut off a technology that couldn't handle downloading updates anyway :rolleyes:

Having said that, there is one part where Steam could improve - not applying the patches until you've completely downloaded them. Probably another thing that'll be fixed soon like Offline Mode.

Cheesejoff
11-09-2005, 19:29
1. You can stop it starting up on PC startup.

2. There is a mode called "offline mode". You need to register first, then you can use it.

3. Steam does not need to update, HL2 does. Without steam you'd be wading through patches which would download much more slowly. Besides, most games nowadays need patches to play online anyway.

4. Stop whining about it. Valve did no have enough time to get HL2 out before the publisher deadline, in fact, they went out after the deadline and they could only do that because they had enough money. Go complain to the publishers that their deadlines are too short and the developers don't have enough time to test and fix their games.

WLBjork
11-09-2005, 20:50
4. Stop whining about it. Valve did no have enough time to get HL2 out before the publisher deadline, in fact, they went out after the deadline and they could only do that because they had enough money. Go complain to the publishers that their deadlines are too short and the developers don't have enough time to test and fix their games.

And to add to this, Valve have finished using Vivendi (Sierra) as their publisher.

Whilst not the sole reason, and indeed is probably quite a minor reason from Valve's point of view, it is non-the-less a step they have taken.

With the offline thing though, I believe that you have to log in to Online mode once a month or so, so it's still not perfect yet.

Samoth
12-09-2005, 12:39
What aboust CSS direct? My local lan cafe has it and it's great to not have to wait tenty minutes to play a game first. :p