PDA

View Full Version : Codex Astartes - Squad Size

Rirekon
05-10-2007, 13:45
I'm deeply considering slowing amassing an entire Chapter (masochistic I know) and wanted to plan it out before I get anything.
To help me with this I need to know whether a Company is built of 10-strong Squads (which deploy in 5's if needed) or a mix of 5-strong and 10-strong Squads?
Would this change depending on the Squad type? (ie. Do Terminator Squads tend to be 5-strong rather than 10-strong?)

This is for a Codex Chapter, so anything mentioned in the Codex Astartes (which I've not read much precise detail on) would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Nargus
05-10-2007, 14:00
A "Codex" company is 10 x 10 man squads with rhino, plus a company captain, chaplain, librarian and apocatheries.

Terminator companies are 10 x 5 man squads with Land Raiders.

Scout Companies (10th usually) are infinite in size due to the flux in marine recruit levels, and the varying levels of training to be a fully fledged marine.

Lord_Squinty
05-10-2007, 14:06
Ok, here goes:

1st Company -
10 Ten man Terminator or veteran marine squads

2nd - 5th Company
6 Ten man tactical,
2 Ten man Assault,
2 Ten Man Devastator.

6th & 7th Company
10 Ten man Tactical Squads

8th Company
10 Ten man Assault Squads

9th Company
10 Ten man Devastator Squads

10th Company
well, in Insignium astartes - just says "scouts"
I'd take that to be 10 Ten man Scout Squads.

<edit> Just had a better look - "There is no formal size for a scout company as the rate of recruitment to a chapter is not fixed"
But also states ""A chapter should consist of ten fighting companies each numbering a hundred space marines. each company consists of ten squads of ten warriors of which one is the sergeant" So would take it that 10 Ten man scouts is expected.

Each Company also has associated captains, chaplian, apothecary, Standard bearer and rhinos/razorbacks.

Nargus
05-10-2007, 14:10
That is the general composition for a whole Chapter, and in much more detail that I listed it :p

But my points for Terminators being in squads of 5 and Scout Companies not being restricted in size still stands.

Noserenda
05-10-2007, 14:12
Terminators dont form 5 man squads, Veterans form 10 man squads, and where available are deployed in Terminator armour, usualy in 5 man increments becuase terminator armour costs lots of points :angel:

Nargus
05-10-2007, 14:15
<-- Dark Angel

All our vets are 5 man terminator squads :D

My bad.

Argastes
05-10-2007, 14:28
A "Codex" company is 10 x 10 man squads with rhino, plus a company captain, chaplain, librarian and apocatheries.

Nope, no librarian. In codex chapters, librarians are not organic to the line companies; rather, they form a special section in the Chapter HQ called the Librarius. They may be attached to the line companies in the field, but each company does not have it's own librarian in the same way it has it's own chaplain. I think the reason is that while becoming a chaplain is solely a matter of training, librarians must naturally possess special talents. So whereas it's possible to keep a constant ten chaplains in the chapter, since you can just promote another marine to the post if one dies, there's no guarantee that a chapter will be able to fill ten librarian slots in the TOE; what if their recruiting has just not picked up enough physically-gifted recruits recently? Also, remember that although the duties of a chaplain are solely related to the well-being of the other battle brothers (and thus there's no reason not to integrate him into a fighting unit), librarians have many important roles that are unrelated to the battlefield, such as record-keeping and astrotelepathy, so they sort of need to be in their own little group instead of being integrated with the combat units.

Tzaryn
05-10-2007, 14:32
So a chapter 'isn't 1,000 marines strong then? When you consider the HQ staff and all...

Nargus
05-10-2007, 14:35
On paper its 1,000 marines strong, but as you point out it doesn't include HQ's, techmarines or the thousands and thousands of manual labourers and administrative staff contained within a Chapter.

Lord_Squinty
05-10-2007, 14:57
Nope, no librarian. In codex chapters, librarians are not organic to the line companies; rather, they form a special section in the Chapter HQ called the Librarius. They may be attached to the line companies in the field, but each company does not have it's own librarian in the same way it has it's own chaplain. I think the reason is that while becoming a chaplain is solely a matter of training, librarians must naturally possess special talents. So whereas it's possible to keep a constant ten chaplains in the chapter, since you can just promote another marine to the post if one dies, there's no guarantee that a chapter will be able to fill ten librarian slots in the TOE; what if their recruiting has just not picked up enough physically-gifted recruits recently? Also, remember that although the duties of a chaplain are solely related to the well-being of the other battle brothers (and thus there's no reason not to integrate him into a fighting unit), librarians have many important roles that are unrelated to the battlefield, such as record-keeping and astrotelepathy, so they sort of need to be in their own little group instead of being integrated with the combat units.

Yep - no librarian - dunno where that came from....

Nargus
05-10-2007, 15:14
I accidentally put that in, that was my second gaffe of the thread.

Doing well!

Rirekon
05-10-2007, 15:31
That's a massive help guys, thank you! A special thanks to Lord_Squinty for that detailed breakdown :)

So when planning my Chapter a First Company of;
5x 10-man Terminator Squads
5x 10-man Veteran Squads
Would be acceptable? Then for missions where the Chapter wants to utilise 5-man Squads it will just leave behind half the Squad?

Nargus
05-10-2007, 15:33
You got it.

Rirekon
05-10-2007, 15:42
Excellent :D

Quick final (hopefully) questions; Do Bikes and Landspeeders count towards Company size?
If so, I'm assuming 10 Bikes = 1 "Squad" and 5 Landspeeders = 1 "Squad" in terms of organisation? Also what Squad type are they and would they be in specific Companies?

Tehkonrad
05-10-2007, 15:46
an entire chapter :o
whats it called

Rirekon
05-10-2007, 15:58
It's my money :p
Fancied trying the Red Scorpions because I love the fluff (that I've read) and models for them. Got IA:IV arriving soon to help me plan it better but wanted to get some more info from people in the know before diving in.

Leftenant Gashrog
05-10-2007, 16:17
Do Bikes and Landspeeders count towards Company size?

If so, I'm assuming 10 Bikes = 1 "Squad" and 5 Landspeeders = 1 "Squad" in terms of organisation? Also what Squad type are they and would they be in specific Companies?

Bike and land speeder crews are drawn from a battle companies 20 assault marines, from the 8th companies assault marines, or from the 6th* and 7th** companies tactical squads.

* 6th company has bikes but no land speeders
** 7th company has no bikes

Rirekon
05-10-2007, 16:39
Cool, cheers for the help!

charlie_c67
05-10-2007, 20:08
Though bear in mind it's also possible for the assault squads of the battle companies to be bike or speeder mounted. Allows you to mix and match. Like I will be :D

Hive Mind 33
06-10-2007, 00:59
I like how the Space Wolves do it.

Great company = one chapter
and each squad is 10

Ivan Stupidor
06-10-2007, 03:41
On paper its 1,000 marines strong, but as you point out it doesn't include HQ's, techmarines or the thousands and thousands of manual labourers and administrative staff contained within a Chapter.

Although it should be pointed out that Scouts aren't full battle-brothers, so there's a hundred "extra" Marines to fill out the HQ and other staff.

Let's see...
10 Company Captains
10 Company Chaplains
10 Company Standard Bearers
10 Company Champions
10(?) Apothecaries (I assume one per company)
1 Chapter Master
1 Boss Chaplain
1 Boss Apothecary
1 Chapter Ancient
That's 54 Marines. The Librarium probably adds another 11 Marines if all is going well. That leaves 35 Marines between the Techmarines and anyone I've forgotten (or miscounted), although that still leaves the mystery as to where the Rhino and Predator crews come from - 35 Marines couldn't drive all the active Battle Companies around, let alone provide armoured support!

Hellbore
06-10-2007, 05:29
Prolly from reserve companies and armoury are where vehicle crews are drawn from

Daredhnu
06-10-2007, 10:44
this is how i plan to do it eventually (already have my first battle company:D)

- CHAPTER COMMAND -
1 chapter master with command squad (6)
1 master of sactity
1 epistolary
every company has a company captain with command squad (60)
every company has reclusiarch (10)
every company has techmarine (10)
12 codiciers
- FIRST COMPANY -
50 Terminators
50 Veterans
- SECOND COMPANY -
60 Tactical Marines
20 Assault Marines
20 Devastator Marines
- THIRD COMPANY -
60 Tactical Marines
20 Assault Marines
20 Devastator Marines
- FOURTH COMPANY -
60 Tactical Marines
20 Assault Marines
20 Devastator Marines
- FIFTH COMPANY -
60 Tactical Marines
20 Assault Marines
20 Devastator Marines
- SIXTH COMPANY -
100 Tactical Marines
- SEVENTH COMPANY -
100 Tactical Marines
- EIGHTH COMPANY -
100 Assault Marines
- NINETH COMPANY -
100 Devastator Marines
- TENTH COMPANY -
??? scouts

bikes are for the assault marines same goes for landspeeders.
(although i didn't know they also were for the 6th & 7th company.)

rhino's will be piloted by chapter serfs, tanks possibly the 9th company

Leftenant Gashrog
06-10-2007, 11:35
- CHAPTER COMMAND -
1 epistolary
12 codiciers

why only a single Epistolary, and no Chief Librarian?