PDA

View Full Version : Sabol Army Transport cases

BullBuchanan
12-04-2005, 23:57
I was wondering how well GW minis fit in these cases. In particularly my main concerns are fitting bretonnian knights in 2 inch trays and fitting standard 20 or 25mm based models in the 1 inch trays. Ive heard that they dont fit 30mm well On other rpg sites, so I was just wondering if I needed to get 1.5, and 2.5 in order to make it work.

I initially was going to get two Crystal Caste cases But even through a 35% discount supplier they ran to $190 and I bought both my Bretonnians and high elves for less than that combined, so it would be pretty hard to justify it.

I probably wont be picking up these cases for a while, but i figure I better start gathering information on it. BTW I collect Dwarves,High Elves and Bretonnians(and WE when they come out) so if theres anything in particular i need to know in regards to these armies fitting in the cases please let me know.

Thanks,
-Bull

User Name
13-04-2005, 04:30
Well if your not concerned about which case yuo buy I would reccomend the battlepack, im to sure what size would be best though. I dont seem to have a link handy right now... If sombody dosnt beat me to it I will post it later

Drabant
13-04-2005, 07:12
If you check the Sabol site I think it says that 1" is excluding the bottom layer, so 25mm based models should fit unless they stick outside the width of the base in more than one dimension. Not that I have actually used Army Transport myself.

The Battlepack URL is: http://www.battlepack2001.com/

Festus
13-04-2005, 09:46
Hi

I have a Sabol Army Transport and like it very much,

The 1" trays hold 20mm bases of infantry extremely well and are a tight fit for those on 25mm bases.

For Cavalry, I recommend the 2" though, it fits approximately 12 Knights (depending on the Lance and stuff (10-15)

Greetings
Festus

Imbroglio
13-04-2005, 22:01
Yep, I can fully recommend the sabol trays for citadel minis. The 1" tray will be adequate for most infantry, 1.5" for those individuals which have a particularly protruding weapon or something. I use the 2" for most cavalry, and again 2.5" for things like big banners.

12 Knights might be a touch optimistic, but I was packing CoKs, and they may well be a little more substantial.

I can get a 3000pt Dark Elf army in my bag without a lot of difficulty. The Sabol bags/tays are excellent, best hobby investment I've ever made.

-- Imbroglio

BullBuchanan
14-04-2005, 04:04
Yep, I can fully recommend the sabol trays for citadel minis. The 1" tray will be adequate for most infantry, 1.5" for those individuals which have a particularly protruding weapon or something. I use the 2" for most cavalry, and again 2.5" for things like big banners.

12 Knights might be a touch optimistic, but I was packing CoKs, and they may well be a little more substantial.

I can get a 3000pt Dark Elf army in my bag without a lot of difficulty. The Sabol bags/tays are excellent, best hobby investment I've ever made.

-- Imbroglio

thats what I was afraid of....I have over 40 cavalry on my bretonnians and theres no hope of fitting all that in a sabol case they just arn't big enough. The foam is very expensive as well considering it is half the size of crystal caste's but its 50 cents more expensive.

I may just have to wait to buy a nice CC case.

As for those battlepacks....never again will i buy a pre-perforated case, there really no difference between that and a gw case.

Padraig
17-04-2005, 17:13
It depends a lot on how tall your knights are. I have a Sabol case for all three of my armies, and love them. When I built my Khemri Heavy Cav I made sure that the spears were all leveled, so that the helms were the highest part of the mini. They all fit in the 2.5" tray standing up vertically with room to spare, and I have 20-24 of them in a single tray (5 rows of 4 if I remember correctly, might be 6 of 4). Took out two squares by 4 squares per mini, with a 1x4 section in between each mini, and staggered each row by one square so each mini is surrounded by foam. Hard to describe, but it works. and you can fit 4 or 5 of the 2.5" trays into a case easily.

One of the people in my gaming group stood her's up vertically in a 3" tray, and then glued steel washers into the bases and magnetized the movement trays, and place the minis on their movement trays into the foam tray. Not only are they ready to play with out of the box, but she fits 4 knights plus trays into effectively the same space I fit 2 skelly cav. So you could probably fit two trays of 4 side by side across the tray, and 4 or 5 rows length wise for 30-40 minis per 3" tray.

For my Glade Riders most of them have lances held vertically so are taller than 3", so these I have laying down on the 1" trays, and get about 6 to a tray, but I don't have them packed in as efficiently as I could. With a bit of plannign I could probably get 8 in a tray. So 40 knights would fit into 5 trays, which would easily fit into a single case.

In short, I would definitely consider using one of the Sabol Army Transport case for your knights. Depends a great deal on how tall your minis are, but with a little creative arrangement you should easily be able to fit 40 knights into a case and have room for foot troops.

Padraig

Etienne de Beaugard
21-04-2005, 23:07
If your concerned about money for the cases, go to your local chain retail and check out pistol or even rifle cases. Often these serve as well as specialty figure packs, but at a significant discount.