PDA

View Full Version : The astronomican

Dalenator
05-10-2007, 22:16
During the Istaanv massacre when Horus virus bombed the planet it is said that the planets population's combined soul death scream of 13 billion people (or something) blanked out the astronomican for a moment.

My question is this. Why hasn't this happened again as I'm sure Exterminatus has killed more than 13 billion in one go?:wtf:

Daemonslave
05-10-2007, 22:24
During the Istaanv massacre when Horus virus bombed the planet it is said that the planets population's combined soul death scream of 13 billion people (or something) blanked out the astronomican for a moment.

My question is this. Why hasn't this happened again as I'm sure Exterminatus has killed more than 13 billion in one go?:wtf:

I think it was 'the death cry screamed louder than the Astronomican' rather than actually blanking it out. This could suggest that the release of psychic energy pulsed stronger than the Astronomican.

As for why it hasn't happened again, maybe it has. Just because it isn't described doesn't mean it doesn't occur.:)

Archaon
05-10-2007, 22:34
What i always wondered..

How was the Astronomican powered in the days of the Emperor?

The way i understood it it was/is the Emperor himself who powered it with the help of psykers who are "sacrificed" to the Emperor fueling him their power so he can maintain it.

How was that possible when a) there was no trained "Psyker Corps" during the Emperors reign and b)for a good part of the Crusade he led it personally and thus was away from Earth.

DantesInferno
05-10-2007, 23:14
The Emperor on Terra: "I feel a great disturbance in the Warp. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Lord_Squinty
05-10-2007, 23:48
The Emperor on Terra: "I feel a great disturbance in the Warp. As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

LOL!!!

I was under the impression the blank was there before the massacre.
I assumed it was created by the powers of chaos.
I may be wrong - I was power reading through the first three books in 3 days, so may have missed that bit......
:rolleyes:

The Emperor's Faithfull
05-10-2007, 23:52
The Emperor originally powered the Tower but when Magnus broke the Emperor's seals on his webway project he had to focus more and more energy on the webway to stop the daemons from comming in. The way the Tower is powered know with sacraficial psykers the Emperor set up as a temperoray thing but since the Emperor is on the Golden Throne its not so temperary.

ctsteel
06-10-2007, 00:33
^ and they also had to permanently plug the astronomican into the golden throne at the time of the emperor's demise, to keep him fuelled up - hence the power drain on the psykers dropping their lifespan to a matter of weeks (up until that point I don't think they were being drained to death as the emperor was mainly powering and controlling it)

El_Machinae
06-10-2007, 02:36
I think the two concepts have been tied together, thematically: like "King and Country". The Astronomicron is seen as a symbol of the Emperor's might, but actually has nothing to do with the Golden Throne.

ctsteel
06-10-2007, 02:56
in the HH artbooks they cover this - when the emperor is near death and requests they place him on the golden throne, he also has them tie the beacon into the throne so that it can sustain him, and so he can guide the beacon also. they are linked together. the massive power drain on keeping the big E alive, and also helping him keep the webway portal shut, as well as being a psychic beacon, is the reason the psykers are drained to husks - its too much of a drain, in too short a span for their bodies to handle.

Progena
06-10-2007, 12:48
Perhaps the Emperor was the only one who would be able to feel it (at least from half the galaxy away) seeing as he was plugged directly into the Astronomican. The astrophatic choir are too buissy dying to notice anything I guess.

El_Machinae
06-10-2007, 13:02
I think it was 'the death cry screamed louder than the Astronomican' rather than actually blanking it out. This could suggest that the release of psychic energy pulsed stronger than the Astronomican.

As for why it hasn't happened again, maybe it has. Just because it isn't described doesn't mean it doesn't occur.:)

It's like a bomb going off over the ocean. It might be brighter than a lighthouse beacon (that's further away, maybe), but only for a bit.

The Judge
06-10-2007, 13:20
I always considered it may have been louder (or whatever) because as well as all those people dying, it was the simple treachery of the act, signalling Horus' true loyalty. Maybe the Chaos Gods took an interest in the act and were pleased by it.

I have not carried across my point well...

Daemonslave
06-10-2007, 14:03
It's like a bomb going off over the ocean. It might be brighter than a lighthouse beacon (that's further away, maybe), but only for a bit.

Exactly.:)

Tyron
06-10-2007, 19:37
Yeah I would see it as the ships light signaling it's there for a brief moment then not seen again.

downundercadet07
06-10-2007, 20:54
I'm suprised that the emperor hasn't turned all the power of the astronomicon into destroying the Imperial webway, so that he can focus more clearly on other things. It seems that he would only have to turn it off for a matter of days. Surely the Imperium could survive two days without the Astronomicon, especially if it is giving the E enough time to brain all the deamons that are chaffing his ass.

ctsteel
06-10-2007, 23:01
its too late now, the emp is so disjointed from reality that he's effectively just running on autopilot now, his essence/persona is reduced to a series of autonomic functions (keep webway closed, focus astronomican).

everything else has faded away and no-one in the imperium knows it or accepts it. he's no longer capable of any sentient thought

codicium_aeternum
07-10-2007, 01:31
its too late now, the emp is so disjointed from reality that he's effectively just running on autopilot now, his essence/persona is reduced to a series of autonomic functions (keep webway closed, focus astronomican).

everything else has faded away and no-one in the imperium knows it or accepts it. he's no longer capable of any sentient thought

no... hes in there, screaming... "OK YOU CAN TURN IT OFF NOW... IVE FIXED THE PROBLEM WITH THE DOOHICKY... GUYS... GUYS!!!!" but anyone who says they heard the emp say it is burned as a heretic through the holy fire of a storm bolter

ryng_sting
07-10-2007, 08:30
What i always wondered..

How was the Astronomican powered in the days of the Emperor?

The way i understood it it was/is the Emperor himself who powered it with the help of psykers who are "sacrificed" to the Emperor fueling him their power so he can maintain it.

How was that possible when a) there was no trained "Psyker Corps" during the Emperors reign and b)for a good part of the Crusade he led it personally and thus was away from Earth.

The Emperor powered it himself - though only a handful of people knew it at the time. After the Ullanor Crusade, the Emperor put Horus in charge of the armies and Malcado the Sigilite in charge of the Imperium, and returned to Terra to work on his secret projects.

Then the Webway Crisis began. The strain of dividing his powers drastically weakened the Astronomican, so Malcador suggested a short-term solution: switch the power source to sacrificial psykers until the Emperor finished the project. He agreed, and the holding pens on Terra (that had been filled to bursting during the Great Crusade) were emptied to fuel the beam.