PDA

View Full Version : High Elves 2000pts, Help Needed

corben_da
03-09-2005, 19:43
Anything to say about my 2000pts High Elf army?
It's All cavalry and themed as fast elves :)

Lord: Archmage: 381pts
- 4 lvl, Steed / Ithilmar Barding, Seer, Silver Wand, Healing Potion, Talisman of Protection
Hero: Mage: 180pts
- 2 lvl, Steed / Ithilmar Barding, Ring of Fury
Hero: Mage: 185pts
- 2 lvl, Steed / Ithilmar Barding, Ring of Corin
Hero: Commander: 149pts
- Steed / Ithilmar Barding, Dragon Armour, Great Weapon, Shield, Guardian Phoenix, Helm of Fortune, Pure of Heart

Core: 5 x Silver helms: 150pts (mage 1)
- Full Command, Heavy Armour, Shield
Core: 5 x Silver helms: 150pts (mage 2)
Core: 6 x Silver helms: 198pts (archmage)
- Full Command, Heavy Armour, Shield, First among equals, Lion Standard

Special: 5 x Dragon Princes: 250pts
- Full Command, Heavy Armour, Banner of Sorcery
- Drakenmaster: Amulet of Purifying flame, Enchanted Shield
Special: Tiranoc Chariot: 85pts
Special (free): Tiranoc Chariot: 85pts

Rare: Great Eagle: 50pts
Rare (free): Great Eagle: 50pts

Total: 1998pts

PD: 11-13
DD: 6

Eldacar
04-09-2005, 02:34
Lord: Archmage: 381pts
- 4 lvl, Steed / Ithilmar Barding, Seer, Silver Wand, Healing Potion, Talisman of Protection
I'm guessing that you're running a magic-heavy army here. With that in mind, the equipment on this guy is really poor. Either give him the Book of Hoeth for Irresistible Forces, or go with: Seer, Jewel of the Dusk, Ring of Fury, Dispel Scroll.

Hero: Mage: 180pts
- 2 lvl, Steed / Ithilmar Barding, Ring of Fury
This guy is to provide magical energy to the Archmage, not do anything on his own. Give him the Ring of Corin, perhaps, and Channeler coupled with High Magic for some Drain Magic spells if you can spare the dice when your Archmage is done casting.

Hero: Mage: 185pts
- 2 lvl, Steed / Ithilmar Barding, Ring of Corin
Either 2 Dispel Scrolls or the Annulian Crystal here. Your choice.

Hero: Commander: 149pts
- Steed / Ithilmar Barding, Dragon Armour, Great Weapon, Shield, Guardian Phoenix, Helm of Fortune, Pure of Heart
Change the GW to a Lance. You want to break on the charge, not get stuck down in successive rounds of combat.

Core: 5 x Silver helms: 150pts (mage 1)
Core: 5 x Silver helms: 150pts (mage 2)
Core: 6 x Silver helms: 198pts (archmage)
- Full Command, Heavy Armour, Shield, First among equals, Lion Standard
Drop the Full Command. Give them perhaps a musician, maybe a champion, but keep them the hell away from standards. As to the First Among Equals unit, give them the Banner of Ellyrion.

Special: 5 x Dragon Princes: 250pts
- Full Command, Heavy Armour, Banner of Sorcery
- Drakenmaster: Amulet of Purifying flame, Enchanted Shield
Special: Tiranoc Chariot: 85pts
Special (free): Tiranoc Chariot: 85pts
No real problems here. However, increasing the Dragon Prince unit to 6 would be a good idea, IMO.

Rare: Great Eagle: 50pts
Rare (free): Great Eagle: 50pts
No problems here.

DARKsoulx
04-09-2005, 07:56
dont ever put mage into fighting units, speciel not cavelery, you can do it with infantry for protection because you have some time to take them out before you charge, but with cavelery you dont whant them in there getting stuck in combat. or even worse spent a turn pulling them out and then they get the charge instead.

you need some units that can break combat on their own. 5 silver helms cant do that. and with only 2 chariots its not gonna be fun if they die. then your really gonna have trouble breaking the enemy.

yeah, no doubt banner of ely is the best out there, just because it cost 15 points.

i would change the commander to bsb, and give him battle banner throw him in unit with banner of ely so they can gain some protection moving forward.

same as eldacar standard in such small units are just giving away VP for oyur enemy dont do it.

Eldacar
04-09-2005, 08:18
you need some units that can break combat on their own. 5 silver helms cant do that. and with only 2 chariots its not gonna be fun if they die. then your really gonna have trouble breaking the enemy.
No, 5 SH can't do it on their own. That's why you combine your charges so that they aren't doing it on their own, but are instead getting help from a flank charge by another unit or a chariot.

i would change the commander to bsb, and give him battle banner throw him in unit with banner of ely so they can gain some protection moving forward.
Here's where I disagree. That will create a unit with two banners, and one of them is worth 80 points. To put that in such a small unit is, IMO, a bad idea. BSB's work best when they don't have a magical banner at all. That way, you can equip them for combat so that they won't be fragile as anything.

corben_da
04-09-2005, 08:41
So if i put book of hoeth on my Archmage.
and take off musician and standard bearer from silver helms (5 sh sized units) = 42pts spare
Hero: Mage: 195pts
- 2 lvl, Steed / Ithilmar Barding, Ring of Corin, Channeler
Hero: Mage: 190pts
- 2 lvl, Steed / Ithilmar Barding, Annulian Crystal

24pts to spare

take that lion standard of from bigger silver helm unit and add ellyrian banner

spare 34pts

add one dragon prince = 26pts

total: 1992pts

DARKsoulx
04-09-2005, 08:52
how big a gaming table are you playing on? we play on 48"x48" and its rare that you get a flank attack in the first combat round. its most of the time after your break a few units that theres room for flank attack. chariots work wonders but with only 2 in unit i wouldnt count on it.

the battle banner unit will be the only one where you have a sure winner. and yes i would much rather put it in a unit of 10, but im not making a new army, im just trying to improve it, if we talk about another army sure i would come up with alot more changes.

corben_da
04-09-2005, 08:58
i know that i could do bigger units, but i'm relying on small units that are mobile.
yet one big unit would be good because it would survive little bit longer if
i lose in CC, and yes more chariots would rock, but i don't have any spare points.
i'd would have to take eagles out or some magic items... and that's not good either.

and we are playing same sized table.