PDA

View Full Version : Space Marines Memory...

Storm Ghost
06-10-2007, 11:11
Once a person has become a Space Marine with all his bling and his gene-seeds, do they remember where they are from and there past? I was just wondering cuz if they where a bad-ass lad would he be a bad-ass space marine with a big gun? or would they not just pick them? (I just expect not many 'Good' people in the 40k universe).

Remoah
06-10-2007, 11:20
I think that to become a Space Marine, you can't be that 'bad'. Marines are like monks, they pray alot and do little more than pray, train and fight. To become a marine, you must be good in both combat, prayer and faith, so being a 'badass' pretty much puts you on the Astartes blacklist.

Progena
06-10-2007, 12:35
Actually... the Imperial Fists recruit from Necromunda (amongst other planets) and we all know how badass they can be.

And psycho-indoctrination usually quells such problems as issues with authorities and stuff like that. And if you don't wanna be a marine and take orders, then you won't apply. But if you do and don't follow the order of the two hundred year old veteran commander you're as good as dead anyway.

A bit of bloodthirst never hurt. No Chapter would recruit pasifistic monks.

Deus Mechanicus
06-10-2007, 12:46
And suddenly i got a vision of Ghandi... as a Space Marine.

Unclejo
06-10-2007, 13:08
Space Marines recruit from Death and Feral worlds, areas not known for theyre pacifist tendencies.

Vaulkhar
06-10-2007, 15:09
And even when they do recruit from more civilised worlds (like the smurfs), the brainwashing regimen ensures that the recruit has no trouble with killing the enemies of the Emperor by the time he gets to a battlefield. It just makes it a bit easier if the subject is, erm, 'naturally enthusiastic' for the job.

The notable exception to this are the Grey Knights, who are brainwashed so thoroughly that they have no memory of their past.

Argastes
06-10-2007, 16:22
Space wolves recruit wild, violent future-vikings from the Fenrisian tribes. As mentioned, the IF recruit from Necromunda among other worlds (I think a cool game of Necromunda would be one with an IF recruiter observing a skirmish between two gangs, seeing if any of the juves might make good Fists, and somehow getting drawn into the combat, maybe when freaky hive monsters swarm onto the board edge and attack everyone.... too bad I play Escher, none of my juves are eligible ;)). The White Scars recruit from the 41st-millennium Golden Horde, basically. Blood Angels recruit from a bunch of post-apocalyptic warrior tribes struggling to survive in a radioactive desert (Fallout, anyone?). All of these societies probably produce badasses of varying degrees.

Adra
06-10-2007, 16:53
well the memory thing seems to varie depending on the marine or chapter...not sure what is the x factor in that. Some cant recall a thing but others seem to be able to remember vague images of family and friends and feel emotions they no longer have. it seems to be a bit random. what is clear is that its not always a full wipe, thats about the only thing thats sure.

Argastes
06-10-2007, 17:44
Well, those DW terminators who died fighting 'stealers on Plains World and had the DW armor color changed in their honor certainly remembered their pre-recruitment lives, since they could remember their original names and tribal customs. Also, in the 2E DA codex, there is a quote from a DA captain addressing recruits and telling them "Forget your past lives, you are Dark Angels now"--which of course actually implies that recruits DON'T forget their past lives, or else he wouldn't have even been saying that (and of course they aren't made to forget just by a captain telling them to, so clearly what he really meant was that they had to abandon all previous loyalties, beliefs, customs, etc. and fully immerse themselves in being Marines). So no, I don't think Marines forget their past lives, though they probably do "put it behind them" and not think about it much, and whatever loyalties and beliefs they had before recruitment are probably taught out of them during indoctrination (except for those loyalties and beliefs that the Chapter finds desirable--for example, I'm sure that all Chapters which recruit from the young warriors of feral/death worlds would reinforce, rather than discourage, a recruits belief in the importance of loyalty to his fellow warriors). Although I would imagine that given the length of a Marine's natural lifespan, their memories of their pre-recruitment lives eventually become very dim and hazy; you can't expect a 200-year old to remember many details from his adolescence.

Storm Ghost
06-10-2007, 18:02
So, depending on the chapter (or even marine) they just wipe your memory of all the bad things or the things that might 'make you think twice' in a battle situation. But most Marines decide to put most things about there past life behind them or talk about them. Although I would find it quite funny if a space marine commander came up to a squad and started a moral boosting chant saying "back in my day before I was a space marine, I thought Mud-Crabs bigger than you, and still came out the best, now come on you sissies!"

Green-is-best
06-10-2007, 18:09
Grey Knights are given a clean memory slate when they're recruited.

codicium_aeternum
06-10-2007, 18:18
whats it called.... psycho indoctrination

space marines lose much of what they once were, and are also restricted by hypno implanted things...

grey knights are mind wiped... nothing remains of who they once were... that way all they know is faith and what is right and wrong...

Lord_Squinty
06-10-2007, 18:54
Grey Knights are given a clean memory slate when they're recruited.

And imperial guard get a mind wipe EVERY time they face chaos - nice eh?

Progena
06-10-2007, 18:58
Consider this; Space Marines who recruit from one world have a special bond with that world. It's their home, they have to be aware of it.

-"Dude, why do we keep coming back to this dump? I mean, there are tons of deadlier deathworlds out there with deadlier deathworlders!"
-"I think someone was born here or something. That, or we have some sort of deal with the ruling Chieftains. Ask the Librarians, perhaps they know?"

Green-is-best
06-10-2007, 19:12
It obviously depends on the Chapter. Salamanders live in their communities until they go to war. Luna Wolves in the HH novels spoke Cthonian and remember their hive gang days. World Eaters, on the otherhand, were given all kinds of neural implants, psycho-surgery, crazy juice, and hypno-indoc, so I'd be surprised if they could remember what they ate for breakfast, let alone their days as a wee pit figher.

answer_is_42
06-10-2007, 19:30
I knew something about SM memory, I....just....can't....quite....remember....it....
:D

I'd suppose it depends on the chapter. Recrutment methods tend to differ for each one.

Progena
06-10-2007, 20:00
It obviously depends on the Chapter. Salamanders live in their communities until they go to war. Luna Wolves in the HH novels spoke Cthonian and remember their hive gang days. World Eaters, on the otherhand, were given all kinds of neural implants, psycho-surgery, crazy juice, and hypno-indoc, so I'd be surprised if they could remember what they ate for breakfast, let alone their days as a wee pit figher.

Only Angron was taken from his (unnamed) 'home' planet. The rest of the pitfighters in his rebellion were anihilated. All of the original World Eaters were of Terran descent, but it doesn't say where the Legion recruited warriors from (though it is certain that they were not recruited from Angron's world as he had nothing but hate for the place).

Green-is-best
06-10-2007, 20:42
Only Angron was taken from his (unnamed) 'home' planet. The rest of the pitfighters in his rebellion were anihilated. All of the original World Eaters were of Terran descent, but it doesn't say where the Legion recruited warriors from (though it is certain that they were not recruited from Angron's world as he had nothing but hate for the place).

My point was that the World Eater's extensive use of mind-bending technologies would likely transform their marines into little more than killing machines, regardless of their planet of origin. :rolleyes:

ctsteel
06-10-2007, 23:08
i have read that as part of the steps to making them, marines generally end up having a photographic memory. makes it hard therefore to completely erase your past.

the psycho-indoctrination would scrub/alter undesired elements, or perhaps just supercede them with strongers ones (ie loyalty to emp > dislike of authority). not sure it would be used to utterly destroy the mind, as that would also take away one of the main things that caused that man to be recruited in the first place - his tenacity, courage, intelligence, and pride.

Savant
06-10-2007, 23:50
And imperial guard get a mind wipe EVERY time they face chaos - nice eh?

Burns: Smithers, use the amnesia ray.
Smithers: You mean the revolver, sir?
Burns: Precisely. And wipe your own memory clean when you're done.

I can't imagine they bother with a mind wipe (which is possibly fallible) followed by retraining, when guardsmen are cheap and expendable. ;D

Tehkonrad
06-10-2007, 23:52
yeah physco indoctrination helps

also i think the reason the night lords were corrupted was that the hypno therapy for their recruits was fairly lax so they still had all their criminal tendencies

Eisen
07-10-2007, 00:51
Well, that and their doctrine was based on controlled terror basically from formation...

Seriously, memory modification is one of those gray areas; I can see it being a little on the dangerous side to go messing with an applicant's memory because you might cause, for lack of a better description, a landslide-prone area of memory, where anything that's stored in that space is on a weak foundation to start. Hard to say anything based on current science, so I suspect the answer is YMMV.

Hive Mind 33
07-10-2007, 01:18
I remember in the Rangar novels he remembers how he became a SW and his tribe.

codicium_aeternum
07-10-2007, 01:24
Burns: Smithers, use the amnesia ray.
Smithers: You mean the revolver, sir?
Burns: Precisely. And wipe your own memory clean when you're done.

I can't imagine they bother with a mind wipe (which is possibly fallible) followed by retraining, when guardsmen are cheap and expendable. ;D

well, if thats the case the whole mind wipe thing... when gaunts ghosts fought some CSM to defend some armoured column... why werent they mind wiped... oh thats right, cause the first guy was talking rubbish...

only psykers get mind wiped/killed

Vaulkhar
07-10-2007, 01:50
Actually, that happens to be one of the few cases where the 40k universe has become less brutal over the years. Up to the beginning of second edition (and probably for some time after that), standard Inquisition policy was to eliminate anyone who had had substantial contact with Chaos. These days, I think it's just daemons that get you an automatic session with an 'amnesia ray'.

Savant
07-10-2007, 02:33
Check pg135 of the BGB. Space Marines are too valuable for execution and get mind-scrubbed. Everything else... well, thanks for the help loyal guardsmen! Your bravery in facing off the forces of Chaos have saved the very Imperium itself! Cya! *blam blam blam*

The Emperor's Faithfull
07-10-2007, 02:57
Space Marines tend to be around for a while so more often than not they lived for so long, longer that a natural human life basically, that they just forget about their past....after all they are recruited in their teens pretty much (I believe its their teens...dont quote me though). Plus Warp travel tends to distort time.

Tehkonrad
07-10-2007, 06:13
not every guardsman dies otherwise whos gonna defend cadia?

Progena
07-10-2007, 12:09
Inquisitorial Storm Troopers get mindwiped all the time, they need retraining every time though. Imperial Guardsmen... well, if you read Tactica Imperialis you get the standard protocol for dealing with guardsmen who've had a bit more contact with Chaos than is stricktly healthy.