PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld Reaver Titan ? An interesting experience!!

cthorpe
03-09-2005, 20:52
Hi guys,

This is an experience that happened to me today in my local GW store, that may or may not point to things to come.. not exactly a rumour, but certainly a very interesting slip of the tongue...

I was talking to one of the senior members of staff (who I've known for about three years) working within my local store, discussing the forthcoming Games Day in the Uk... He had just returned from a training course from Nottingham.. and we had in front of us one of the publicity pamphlets for the UK Games day.. We had been talking about the various BT releases that will be available for sale on that day, when we got round to the image of the Forgeworld Revenant Titan.. I happened to say that I thought that this and the second Revenant version were very impressive models, but in the noise and confusionwithin the store I think he must have misheard me as his reply was...

'yes the Revenant titan is great and they are also producing a second REAVER titan as well that looks good'

At hearing this I did a double take (as one would)... and asked 'a Reaver are you sure?' to which the reply was 'oh yes its beautiful'

At this point the store manager appeared behind me, who sent the staff member with whom I was talking to, to fetch some stuff from the store room while the manager started discussing the coach arrangements.. an unsubtle way of silencing the guy I was talking too!!

I have never had this happen to me in this store before (and I've been using it for over 10 years so know the staff well) with what appears to have been the deliberate distraction and silencing of a member of staff with whom I have been having a conversation, so have I stumbled onto to something I should not have known? or heard?

Now read into this what you will!! It can maybe be taken with a pinch of salt, but peoples actions/reactions were VERY interesting...

A a REAVER titan from Forgeworld would be welcomed by a lot of people...

Anyone on Warseer like to confirm.. or speculate further on this...

Best wishes,

Carl

Chaos and Evil
03-09-2005, 20:57
Well this isn't a conformation, but I know something's up in the near future.

The sculpters are at work on some kind of secret project for GamesDay, beyond that I havn't been able to find out any more, but it's definitely 'sculpters' in plural.

It could be a collection of ForgeWorld Skaven... or it could be something rather bigger.

starlight
03-09-2005, 21:10
Forgeworld has been on record for several years as planning to do all of the Titans that GW will let them. So as long as the current Titans and Thunderhawks (et al) keep selling, we'll eventually (several years from now) see the more Titans. Personally, I wouldn't object to seeing some Knights myself.

Currently the only obstacles are:

A) time
B) profitability
C) complexity

They learn more with every model that they make and will eventually be able to turn out the larger Titans with the same care and attention that they have lavished on their current and past projects.

Rabid Bunny 666
03-09-2005, 21:20
a redshirt told me something about an ork gargant, a c'tan and something else, but he was being made redudnant, so take it with a pinch of salt

Brimstone
03-09-2005, 21:23
It wouldn't be unlikely FW doing a Reaver especially as a Manta is looking probable

I would be suprised if they released it before the Gargant though finishing the "scout" class range of Titans.

Then again Forgeworlds release schedule has never been dictatated by rhyme or reason.

athamas
03-09-2005, 21:24
i heard that the FW secret for gamesday was the manta... its just we found out about it...

starlight
03-09-2005, 21:26
Last time I spoke directly with anyone from Forgeworld (about a year ago) they were indeed moving up the scale one step at a time. I'd expect the Scout class to be finished before the next step is taken. But, then, what do I know?

Inquisitor Engel
03-09-2005, 21:36
It wouldn't be unlikely FW doing a Reaver especially as a Manta is looking probable

It is, but the cost would make it a one off basically. I honestly can't see ANYONE buying one. Even if I could afford it, could I build it and paint it? Probably not, the thing would just be insane.

I would be suprised if they released it before the Gargant though finishing the "scout" class range of Titans.

The problem is that the Gargant, given Forgeworld's resin casting, would have to be made of SOLID resin, making even a scout one incredibly heavy, and very, very expensive.

I expect we'll see one in plastic before we do in resin, especially given the new processes. :D

Then again Forgeworlds release schedule has never been dictatated by rhyme or reason.

Because the sculptors work on basically whatever they want, with rare exceptions for major releases.

Brimstone
03-09-2005, 21:42
It is, but the cost would make it a one off basically. I honestly can't see ANYONE buying one. Even if I could afford it, could I build it and paint it? Probably not, the thing would just be insane.

Like the Manta and Imperial walls you mean? Depends if the Sultan of Brunei's son plays Orks or not :p

The problem is that the Gargant, given Forgeworld's resin casting, would have to be made of SOLID resin, making even a scout one incredibly heavy, and very, very expensive.

You assume they cast it one one piece, in multiple floors and parts with a hollow inside it's perfectly possible, especially if they are introducing new materials with the Manta.

I expect we'll see one in plastic before we do in resin, especially given the new processes. :D

A Baneblade maybe I could see but not a plastic Gargant.

Chaos and Evil
03-09-2005, 22:16
Gargant-type Ork superheavies are generally tough propositions as far as casting goes IMHO, which is why I gues they've concentrated on Battlefortresses & squiggoths so far.

If you take those examples as the Ork's scout superheavies, then about now would be a good time to start moving towards the medium battle-titans...

Maybe that's just my prejudice, I've never been able to see the 'stompa' class Gargants as reasonable war machines.

Note that only the Tyranid Titan and the Ork Squiggoths have been equipped with close combat stats... A Stompa class Gargant is armed with either a huge chainsaw or a large unweildy mallet, such a design doesn't seem to mesh with the kind of products ForgeWorld puts out.

Plus, I think Stompas are ugly :)

my_name_is_tudor
03-09-2005, 22:19
plus so far the forgeworld takes on the titans have been redesigns - whose to say that the new gargant won't be a little less like a box with feet (one with legs that could feasibly move perhaps..)

Chaos and Evil
03-09-2005, 22:42
Gargants are just too bulky to look 'real' to me.

The fluff says that they're aided in their walking by grav generators, that basically they float and the feet just 'swim' them along above the ground, but the models just look like boxes with legs... with giant mallets.

IIRC the 'supa stomper' in the Epic range is on tracks, which would be fine by me, only that particular model also has the biggest smashy mallet of them all :rolleyes:

Davian
03-09-2005, 23:10
A Gargant or a Reaver would be nice, but I'm still holding out hope for a Bone Giant that doesn't look like a gorilla for my Tomb Kings. After all, they seem to be slowly working their way through the larger Fantasy creatures, albeit not as fast as the 40k stuff.

Lord Barker
03-09-2005, 23:13
We are forgetting that orks have the help from the warp that just makes their stuff work, everything from their crude weapons to gargants..

Whatever happens, the next forgeworld model will be big, and hopefully, a half decent model as is forgerworld's reputation.

Inquisitor Engel
04-09-2005, 01:12
Depends if the Sultan of Brunei's son plays Orks or not :p

I was thinking the same thing. ;) I imagine he plays whatever the hell he wants...

You assume they cast it one one piece, in multiple floors and parts with a hollow inside it's perfectly possible, especially if they are introducing new materials with the Manta.

Yeah, but I don't know if resin would be particularly conductive to round, thin shapes that needed to be a certain shape to fit. Eve if they came out of the cast right, there's no telling if they'd warp afterwards or during shipping.

I think if they did it right now, FW would do a solid body rather than send out a model so warped it was virtually unidentifiable.

A Baneblade maybe I could see but not a plastic Gargant.

My prediction was a LONG way off of course. Baneblade in the near future? I think so.

Chaos and Evil
04-09-2005, 02:08
Resin warping isn't much of a problem, thirty seconds in hot water and it's fairly maleable & stays where you put it when it cools.

Besides, you don't need to make the Manta plates all that thin, a centimetre thick would provide a lot of strength.

But the size/ammount of molds... oh my.

Toothless_Hogg
04-09-2005, 04:48
Well, as i recall the biggest of the gargants (the mega gargant) was on tracks, not legs. So it wouldn't be too great a switch to make a scout-sized gargant on tracks.

That said, wasn't the stompa more on the same level as a knight, not a titan?

Malakai
04-09-2005, 04:49
You said yourself the store was noisy? The staff memeber said they were doing a second Reaver that's lovely. To my knowledge they havn't done a first one. You may have misheard him, but my wouldn't a Reaver for christmas be grand..

Malakai

!mpact
04-09-2005, 05:20
well, might be a reaver or it might be a revenant. seeing as a second revenant with sonic lances and an alternative head comes out the 19th o september. as per forgeworld today...

khedyarl
04-09-2005, 10:14
I seem to remember a quote from Warwick Kincade from one of the newsletters.. Something along the lines of {Paraphrased} "We promise we will eventually get around to an Ork Gargant, however, we have yet to get around the inherent problem that they look ludicrous."

If Forgeworld creates a Gargant, I would expect it to barely retain a passing simularity with the current epic gargants. One can hope, one can hope.

-Conan

burni
04-09-2005, 12:33
There is the undeniable fact that Imperial items sell in greater numbers (even with vereran players) - I'd have thought GW would heavily encourage FW to build Imp Titans first for each 'size level' ie Warhound to test scout sized market - went down well so build Eldar. Maybe Reaver to test support titan sized market then move on to other races.

And I agree that the Manta will be a show piece for GD then maybe made available if they have enough 'true' interest - Perhaps it will be supplied built & painted by FW as it maybe be a real difficult build and many (even amongst the target audience) won't have the room to undertake such a task. It could even come with a storage case.

Chaos and Evil
04-09-2005, 12:50
I doubt they'd provide a painting service, it's somewhat against the company ethos of providing model 'kits'!

I'd never buy a FW item that was pre-painted, no way.

Wiseman
04-09-2005, 13:56
I'd love to see a reaver, i wouldnt buy one, but id love to see it none the less

Sildani
04-09-2005, 14:19
I can only shudder to think what a pre-built and painted Manta would run...

*shudder*

While we're on the topic of "finishing" model lines, may I request FW finish the Eldar super-heavy tank line with the release of the Cobra II? The old model not only pales in appearance to the new Epic mini but also does not represent the secondary weapons systems nor the fixed-forward D-Cannon. So, please FW, hear my plea.

Inquisitor Maul
04-09-2005, 14:21
Well, just wait for the Imperator Titan then :eek:

Or the Cobra-class Destroyer :D

Wolf Scout Ewan
04-09-2005, 14:53
If they do do (dododo) Ork superheavies then I hope they are tracked.

sanctusmortis
04-09-2005, 14:55
I've always wanted an Imperator...

Flame Boy
04-09-2005, 18:40
I think the kit for an Imperator Titan would need to be unloaded off a van with a forklift truck... Picking up that much resin would be against health and safety limits...

I think having a Reaver turn up with a variant so soon from now seems a bit like wishful thinking, but hopefully not. The Reaver is a favorite model of mine, and I'd like to see the model get an update, and if the Forge World epic 40k one is anything to go by, it'll be impressive.

Crux
04-09-2005, 18:53
If this is true, what kind of stats would it have?

The Lucius Pattern Reaver packs a Volcano Cannon (same as for the Warhound?), a Gatling Blaster (Mega-Gatling-Assault Cannon?) and a Rocket Launcher (No idea... Mega-Blast Missile Launcher?), or three Rocket Launchers. What about armor/fields/Structure Points/Points?

Any ideas?

firestorm40k
04-09-2005, 19:32
Hello, I recently e-mailed Forge World to see if there's any chance they would be doing a re-sculpt of the rare and increasingly pricey Epic Imperator Titan (if you don't know this model I'll just say *drooool*).

I got an e-mail back saying that more 40k Titans were on the way (not sure about Epic stuff), but good news for 40k players who have limbs/organs/a soul to sell!

Dreachon
04-09-2005, 20:16
That's cool to hear, I'm interested to when they might but I hope they will make the weapons for the reaver seperate so people can choose their own lay-out, now I have to wait for them to make the chaos variant of it.

*starts checking ebay at the price for a mint condition kidney*

Chaos and Evil
05-09-2005, 00:22
The interesting thing is that if FW sculpt the Volcano/Gatling/Rocket variant, then just like with the Epic model they made, they will already have all the pieces they need to issue the 3x rocket launchers varient.

Toothless_Hogg
05-09-2005, 01:32
I would imagine the reaver would have 14/14/13, 6 structure and 4 void shields. VDR wise you're looking at just 900 points for the basic titan before weaponry.

For arguments sake lets say they equip it with the following:

Gatling Blaster - 2x Long Mega Gatling Autocannons
Titan MRL - 1x Long Mega Whirlwind Battery (+5 shots)
Quake Cannon - 1x Linked Mega Vanquisher Cannon

All up, using VDR that'd come to around 1500 points.

starlight
05-09-2005, 02:04
OMG, that's actually kinda reasonable.... :eek:

Separate detachments and all, we're looking at some cool posibilities. If Titans (and other Superheavies keep coming down the line, GW may need a rule like: Titans and Superheavies must always be in a separate detachment (already have this bit) and Titan/Superheavy points may not compose more than X% of your overall force.

I'm really looking forward to some Superheavies in the next few years. :D

Jericho
05-09-2005, 09:08
Wasn't the Vulcan Megabolter like heavy 12 or something? I'm not sure two mega gattling long barreled autocannons would be enough shots... although they would still be terrifying :D

Man if you thought Scout titans were hard to fit into 40k rules... :evilgrin:

rkunisch
05-09-2005, 09:42
'yes the Revenant titan is great and they are also producing a second REAVER titan as well that looks good'
As much as I would like to see a Reaver titan, I think this was an misunderstanding or mix-up of the words. There is a second Revenant titan and it is a very recent addition to the range. So, I fear the most likely explanation is that it was this one which was meant. :(

Have fun,

Rolf.

Sai-Lauren
05-09-2005, 12:08
Well, just wait for the Imperator Titan then :eek:

Or the Cobra-class Destroyer :D
Don't give Tony Cottrell ideas. He'd probably try and do it. ;)

burni
05-09-2005, 20:45
I think i heard that if they built a Gothic class ship at EPIC scale it would be 5 metres long!

Also I remember seeing this Titan (http://www.totalmodel.com/cgi-bin/showcase/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Dream_Forge_Games&image=Crusader10.jpg&img=&tt=) - a full 28mm scale Imperator (alike) titan - that's gotta be a game winner!

boogle
05-09-2005, 20:53
and on that subject, does anyone know where the Dreamforge models can still be bought?

Brimstone
05-09-2005, 20:55
That's a Crusader by Dreamforge, (http://www.dreamforge-games.com/) GW had it pulled along with another "Titan" due to some parts matching very closely with their own parts (chainsword, Abaddons LC, assault cannon etc.)

Someone was making their own Imperator Titan but sold it on and no further WIP pictures have appeared IIRC.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/48772294.jpg

Mojaco
05-09-2005, 21:08
That's a damn good scratchbuild. Too bad the original model sucks so uncredibly.

boogle
05-09-2005, 22:49
it did belong to Mike Biasi at one time, but the Imperator is now in the hands of a private collector who plans to get it finished one day

Chaos and Evil
06-09-2005, 00:43
I think they're building a Manta.

Dakkagor
07-09-2005, 09:22
"if we ver build a 40k scale warlord titan, it will come with free divorce papers for when your wife finds the bill!"

A quote that still makes me laugh. . . personally, I think its more challenging to build your own gargarant than to buy one. I intend to build my own one day. It will be like my child.

Skrit
07-09-2005, 15:19
This is the Reaver Titan my brother has been working on for the last few years. (he doesn't have much time to spend so that's why it's taking so long!)

Everything is poseable and he's got two big guns now! (not included in the pics, which are a bit old.)

Thought you guys might find it interesting, sorry for the bad pics!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/Skrit/Reaver%20Titan/01010003a.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/Skrit/Reaver%20Titan/01010007a.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/Skrit/Reaver%20Titan/01010010a.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/Skrit/Reaver%20Titan/01010013a.jpg

Emperors Teeth
07-09-2005, 15:22
And Kudos to your brother for doing such a damn impressive job! He's really captured the feel and the detail such a large model should have!

Oh, and I insist on new pics! Now dammit!

Dreachon
07-09-2005, 15:23
Wow, that is certainly one piece of art, I'm lookinf forward to seeing this one finished, but what is the size of it.

Scanno
07-09-2005, 15:44
Friggen sweet. Love the level of detail he's put into everything; rivets, scrolls, aquilas et al.
One question, are those human artificial hip joints on the legs? Look like 'em...

Skrit
07-09-2005, 15:54
@Emperors Teeth: New pics may take a while I'm affraid but I'll do my best!

@Dreachon: Well the thingy standing besides his legs is an Epic Reaver Titan which is about 10cm I believe... Not sure though, next time I'll measure him up properly.

@Scanno: They are not artificial hip joints, they are made out of plastic tubbing, plasticard and metal uhm...what's the word? connections? :confused: Oh and some Green Stuff.

x-esiv-4c
07-09-2005, 20:23
Meh, as enticing as the red-shirt rumors are, they are just that sadly..

Chaos and Evil
07-09-2005, 22:34
That's a sweet Reaver, I prefer the cab to the official GW design too!

Brimstone
07-09-2005, 22:58
As we have more or less established that the rumour is probably incorrect and it's become a discussion thread I'm moving it to 40K general.