PDA

View Full Version : the watcher

Rabid Bunny 666
03-09-2005, 21:25
GW are releasing the watcer in the water, well, at least the tentacles (3 per blister) if the fax i sent for the redshirt was real

Baggers
04-09-2005, 07:41
Yeah that is old news its been mentioned by me several times over the last few weeks though.

Rabid Bunny 666
04-09-2005, 12:54
D'OH!

well, should have jotted down the mail order code for it :D

rkunisch
05-09-2005, 11:56
I still wonder if the actual watcher will be released sometime. There was a nice article on self-building in BGiME, but I fear it will be beyond my skill with green stuff. :(

Have fun,

Rolf.

Baggers
05-09-2005, 12:05
Its doubtful as it has no real use, unlike its tentacles, its more of a display thing than an actual gaming piece.

Neldoreth
05-09-2005, 17:56
Its doubtful as it has no real use, unlike its tentacles, its more of a display thing than an actual gaming piece.

You are actually completely incorrect. US White Dwarf number 281 includes rules for the watcher, including its body and eight tentacles. It also includes a tutorial on sculpting it (both the body and the tentacles), building the gates of Moria terrain, and a scenario to use it in. Furthermore there is a thrilling battle report (one of the best I have ever read), where the fellowship barely makes it into the mines and out of the clutches of the vile watcher...

So yeah, I am quite surprised that they haven't made a release date available...

Anyway, happy fake labour day... (where is my May Day celebration?).
Neldoreth

The Judge
05-09-2005, 19:06
But nearly all of the Fellowship died...it's gotta be overpowered.

Does anyone else think a blister pack of tentacles is a crazy idea? A boxed set would be better, I mean, you don't buy blister packs of half a man or three of Shelob's legs...

Neldoreth
06-09-2005, 01:14
But nearly all of the Fellowship died...it's gotta be overpowered.

Well, Sam and Merry were the only ones killed. Boromir and Legolas were abandoned, I guess Gandalf figured it was necessary for the sake of the quest; they weren't dead, but the rest of the fellowship took off...

I don't think it was overpowered, as the player playing the fellowship admitted that his tactics were flawed; he actually started to attack the beast thinking he could kill it, which is impossible. Thus he stuck his heroes out too far, and so a few of them got nabbed...

I think that was actually the best White Dwarf ever... at least the best since anyway. Along with those terrific articles were the rules for the different ents, as well as the conversion tutorials.

Anyway.
Neldoreth

Dr Death
06-09-2005, 09:33
You obviously havnt been gaming long enough to see the time when wd actually had articles:p. Not a bad issue by any stretch and positively amazing by todays standards but far from one of the best or indeed one of my favourites.

The thing people have to remember about the watcher is it is a scenario peice, just like shelob or if they ever make it, grond. The watcher is unkillable because you dont need to kill it to win the scenario. If you did then yes i too would agree its overpowered. And besides, who's dumb enough to use it in a points match;)?
"Hey Gandalf, we better keep away from that small pond and the trickling stream running off it, there might be a watcher lurking"

Honestly:rolleyes:

Dr Death

Neldoreth
06-09-2005, 11:43
You obviously havnt been gaming long enough to see the time when wd actually had articles:p. Not a bad issue by any stretch and positively amazing by todays standards but far from one of the best or indeed one of my favourites.

You know Dr. Death, you made one of the greatest mistakes any Internet forum junky can: you forgot that even though you are virtually anonymous here, you shouldn't be a jerk. Honestly, I doubt that you would say that to someone's face, and if you did, you wouldn't have that many friends for very long.

There are a number of witty, insulting replies I could have dreamed up to strike back at your immaturity here, but why bother wasting my time with that? I guess all I wanted to convey was that, if you please, a little less of the geek superiority attitude and a little more community spirit would be appreciated.

This isn't the only post that you made that was unpleasant.

And besides, who's dumb enough to use it in a points match;)?

Honestly:rolleyes:

More of the same tone issues here... and in any case, I think it is apparent that it is a scenario character (the watcher), it doesn't even have a points value.

Neldoreth

Baggers
06-09-2005, 12:08
The point being that the new scenario which uses 8 Tentacles ( if i remeber) now over rules the need for that scenario, which was pretty rubbish anyway.

Dr Death
06-09-2005, 16:26
I apologise profusely for any tone my post may have had Neldoreth, i was not trying to convey any level of superiority merely to comment on the issue, the post was made with the full expectation of being retorted to with "actually ive been reading for 15 years" thus making the aforementioned statement by myself seem idiotic and humbling me terribly in front of my peers. Regardless of the means however, you can consider the ends to have been met.

The statment "actually having articles" may have been phrased badly in part because at the point in writing i was reminiscing over some ancient issues (some older than i myself so the actual years i supposedly have been reading is slightly muddled due to the fact i have in fact read wd's older than the years i have been reading) in particular an issue 139 that i picked up in a dentist and had a very fine and indepth guide to collecting a blood angels army.

Therefore, i do not deny any offense has been caused but i do strongly say it was not my intent to chastise your enthusiasm.

Again i apologise, as sincerely as i may but junkie is a little strong isnt it? :)

Dr Death

Scanno
06-09-2005, 17:03
Well, from what I saw of the US WD when I was over there, the thingys in it can hardly be called articles, it seems like a random jumble of pictures and short paragraphs written for kids with ADD. Saw the same articles in the UK WD and they were much bettr laid out in a much more fluid and natural style. For all people are saying of the WD going to pot, the US one seems worse (in my opinion).
On topic though, the Watcher would be a cool model to do in a box set, maybe with a tenticle holding Frodo upsidedown, like in the article mentioned earlier. Also, it couldn't be used in a points match (don't know who suggested it), as it is lethal, invincible, and can only travel in water.