PDA

View Full Version : Show Your Chaos Lists!

Arryn
07-10-2007, 03:56
G'day guys!

I'm about to make some purchases to bring my Chaos to 2000 points and would really appreciate seeing your army lists to get an idea about which units people tend to use. If you are feeling really helpful it would be great to see a sentence or two about the strengths and weaknesses you have found in your list...

I am a longtime devotee to Slaanesh, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in the lists of other Gods so please, post away!

Thanks in advance people!

MarcoPollo
07-10-2007, 05:26
I use a mix of mortals, beasts, and demons. I will show you the list that I won the last mayhem tournament in Vancouver with.

1) General -- Exalted undivided: Helm of many eyes and great weapon
2) Beastlord of Nurgle: Gaze of gods, Armor of Damnation, slaughterers blade.
3) BSB -- wargor of tzeetch, vitriolic totem
4) level 1 sorceror of nurgle on chaos steed, 2 dispel scrolls.

22 marauders with light armor, hand weapon and shield full command.
8 gor, 15 ungor, beastherd with full command
5 chosen knights undivided, standard and warbanner.
5 marauder horsmen with flails. Standard and musician.
5 mounted demonettes
3 screemers of tzeetch
1 nurgling base
1 giant
3 dragon ogres, light armor and great weapon.
3X5 warhounds of chaos *** edited

Very nasty army that is fast and can hit very hard.

Arryn
07-10-2007, 07:44
Wow man that looks to me like a fairly small army for 2000 points... You obviously won though, so what kind of tactics did you use with this army?

Arryn
07-10-2007, 09:04
Ok can I get some comments about this list?

Exalted Champion of Slaanesh
General; Chaos Steed; Sword of Might; Armor of Damnation

Exalted Daemon of Slaanesh
Diabolic Splendour; Soul Hunger

Chaos Sorcerer of Slaanesh
2x Dispel Scroll

5 Chaos Knights of Slaanesh
Warbanner; Full Command

17 Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh
Shields; Full Command

17Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh
Shields; Full Command

Chariot of Slaanesh

5 Warhounds

5 Warhounds

5 Furies

Fiend of Slaanesh

Fiend of Slaanesh

Fiend of Slaanesh

Arryn
07-10-2007, 09:14
1) Obviously the General will accompany the Knights and advance with the Chariot while being screened by the Hounds. Primarily a flanking force.

2) Furies screen the Exalted Daemon who will fly ahead to sow disruption and take care of warmachines etc. These may work in concert with above.

3) I love Spawn. To be used to tie up enemy units and or hit flanks in concert with the Warriors. Primarily to support the Warriors however I'm happy to send them off to do their thing...

4) 2x Regiments of Chaos Warriors advance steadily ideally working with the Spawn to tie up or block enemy units and perhaps allowing the flyers or Knights and Chariot to work from the flank or rear.

Just a bit of theoryhammer... what do you think?

bigbear bailey
07-10-2007, 12:17
IMHO you don't have enough bodys... Marauders are key to holding back small units that could flank you very easy and kill off your warriors...

logan054
07-10-2007, 12:35
Characters

Exalted champion of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne
- Barded Steed
- Shield
- Collar of Khorne
- Axe of Khorne
Total 203pts (sometimes i use AoD or GoG + SM)

Exalted Champion of Chaos
- Helm of many eyes
- Great weapon
Total 129pts

Core

5 Knights of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne
- Fullcommand
Total 260pts

15 Warriors of Chaos
- Mark of Khorne
- Halberds
- Fullcommand
- Warbanner
Total 340pts

24 Marauders of Chaos
- Great weapons
- Full Command
Total 193pts

5 Chaos Hounds - 30pts

5 Chaos Hounds - 30pts

5 Marauder Horsemen
- Flails
- Musician
Total 81pts

Special

Beast herd
-7 Gors with two weapons
-11 Ungors with spears
-musician
Total 98pts

8 Chaos Furies
Total 120pts

3 Minotaurs
-Great Weapons
-Mark of Khorne
Total 183pts

3 Minotaurs
-Great Weapons
-Mark of Khorne
Total 183pts (sometimes i take these out for a giant and fiddle with the others a units a tad)

Rare

2 Bloodbeasts of Khorne
Total 150pts

Total: 2000pts
Models: 99
Dispel Dice: 7

I would say this a pretty standard chaos list for me, i also like to mix in all aspects of chaos, sometimes i take a exalted daemon as a general as i have converted balroug i use, sometime i may use flesh hounds and/or bloodletters. At the end of the day the list works for me most of the time, its fun to use and not overpowered, i do have a few other alternate lists i like to use to change things up to pretty stop people adapting to my list to much and to try and keep things fresh.

Arryn - I like your list, reminds me alot of my old warrior list just a tad smaller

MarcoPollo
08-10-2007, 05:27
The thing with my army from above:

5 mounted demonettes
3 screemers of tzeetch
1 nurgling base
1 giant
3X5 warhounds (forgot to mention that earlier and is edited now).

Is that it was at 2250 pts. There are alot of models in the army. And if you count up the unit strength, it is also pretty high.

The big thing is that 3X5 warhounds makes is super easy to win the deployment phase. You place 90 pts before while your opponent exposes considerably more. In one case, against a khorne army, I was able to lure two main unit of his with some strategic placing of warhounds.

The second thing is the superherd. A big nasty herd that can lay the smack down. On several occaisions, it broke the opponents line and ran up the flanks (due to being skirmisher).

Using nurgle characters really helps in units like beastherds and marauder units. Not having to take fear tests on ld 7/8 for my main body helps so much.

Everything else is just fast and hard hitting. Thus I am able to outmanouver my opponents in most cases and out deploy them too. I went 3-1-0 in the tourney and only lost to a VC points denial army (that was also able to match my deployment).

For future games, I will switch the BSB to nurgle and the beastlord to Tzeetch. Also, I will give the exalted a demonic mount and make my nurgle sorceror undivided. The nurgle lore is too tough for a level 1 spell caster, and a level 2 spell caster is a huge investment in points. But having fear in the unit (as mentioned before) really, really, really, really, really helps.

Check out results here (http://www.u2kr.com/200709wcm.shtml) look for Mark Girard

Arryn
08-10-2007, 11:18
Bigbear:
I think you are right however i am playing on my enemy being more concerned with the fast moving elements of my army. I guess i'm trying to force them to be more reactive.

Marco/Logan:
You both have a unit of Beastmen in your list, and Marco mentioned the superherd. What role do your Beastmen play in the army? How effective are they and do they provide a threat that forces your opponent to react?

Also the Marauder Horsemen with flails. Are these guys primarily used to draw out enemy units, fleeing when the time is right? Do you both select flails to go out in a blaze of glory after charging (or being charged +2 S)? Do you find they last very long with no save? Tell me more!!

Marco:
Checked out your link, very nice army. I particularly like your giant, very nice!

MarcoPollo
08-10-2007, 17:40
The superherd concept is quite a powerful concept that Chaos can employ. Basically, it is a huge herd (ungor heavy) that carries a big punch. It has a hard time against elite units, but against medium units and shock troops, it does really well.

Advantages:
1) Movement: being skirmishers allows for more fluid movement around the board. I still set them up on movement trays so that it speeds the game up but I can move them 360.
2) Charging: the ability to charge 360 really helps too. Once you break a unit, it is really easy to roll down the flanks and rear of an enemy. You don't have to waste a turn changing your direction in order to get off a charge. The only thing is don't set them up against an elite or character heavy army.
3) Combat: you can place your characters in you unit the way you want once fighting starts. Read your skirmish rules and raiders rules. Thus you can protect your weak characters like a BSB by placing him on the end and put your fighty characters against the more vulnerable areas of the opponents line. So you get the right match-ups.

Disadvantages:
1) Price -- the cost for the unit with characters for me runs about 550 pts. A huge investment, but very needed.
2) Panic -- well all types of ld tests. Panic especially is tough. So make sure you have enough numbers (ungors) to fill out the ranks. But using the MoN helps with all those fear tests. Ld 8 is not great, but because you supplement your force with marks, it can be manageable.

W0lf
08-10-2007, 17:47
Here:

Chaos Lord
MoT, Staff of change, Gaze of Gods, Halberd, Daemonic mount

Exalted champion
MoT, Great Weapon, Power Familiar

Exalted Champion
MoT, Steed, Halberd, Spell Familiar, Disepl Scroll

20 Chosen Warriors
MoT, FC, Shields

5 Chosen Knights
MoT, Fc, war banner

Tzeentch Chariot x2.

15 Power
7 Dispel

Thats my list. The results (sig) speak for themsleves.

Neknoh
08-10-2007, 18:06
I guess I shouldn't be any worse then, here is the latest list, aimed for a completely new fantasy project to get me to restart work on my chaos (the army was literally crushed half a year ago as a cat flipped over the box in which it was temporarily living), it hasn't stopped my gaming with the army, but there are so many models which were never painted or finished converting due to this, so, trying to rekindle, I'll get a whole new set of models (and thus new bits) and start work on a new chaos army from scratch, hopefully giving me the inspiration to repair my dark horde.

- Helmet of Many Eyes, Additional Handweapon... 129 pts
- The choice of weapons is to try something new and original with the champion, also, there simply isn't that big an ammount of heavy armour arround here, rather an extra attack at strength 5 than four attacks at strength 7 when they all wound the same.

- Mark of Khorne, Juggernaut of Khorne, Collar of Khorne, Sword of Battle, Shield... 242 points
- I am still undecided between the Juggernaut and the Daemonic Steed, steed is quicker and has a higher initiative, whilst on the otherhand, the jugger does have a 4+ armoursave, and most shots WILL hit the jugger. I also wanted to max out on attack whilst still being very khornate, aka, Sword of Battle and a Collar.

24 Marauders of Chaos
- Greatweapons, Full Command... 193 points
- Seing as five strength five attacks will meet any agressor, I will hopefully do enough damage to limit the number of attacks this unit recieves, and as such, I dare dabble with Greatweapons, especially since the conversion I have in mind is bretonnian peasants and making their weapons two-handed.

5 Warhounds of Chaos
- ... 30 points
- Well... five doggies, new doggies, but you can never have enough doggies

5 Marauder Horsemen
- Musician, Flails... 81 points

5 Knights of Chaos
- Full Command, warbanner... 240 points
- Used on one flank with Horsemen support in a rather typical flanking manouver.

14 Chaos Warriors
- Mark of Khorne, Additional Handweapon, Shields, Full Command, Banner of Rage... 381 points
- I just want those fistfulls of dice when rolling for attacks, and they make a nice compliment to the Maruders, also nicely ties in a general theme of a group of powerful hunters joining a group of more cult-like worshippers. Or rather, general theme will be one human who was never appreciated for what he did, he turned to chaos to help save his city, but the reward was persecution. That is the Exalted that leads the army, he is the unforgiven, he was driven into the north with the few troops still loyal to him, he then made the occasional raid here and there, but he excells at hunting, he also found a trustee, a lone khornate champion, and that champion is more and more influencing the army.

7 Fleshhounds of Khorne
- ... 105 points
- The powerful warhounds who came with the khornate champion, these are all his friends, each one will be named after something befitting. They act together with the Khornate Exalted on the same flank as the knights, but may be assigned different deployment over the course of several battles.

2 Chaos Spawns
- Bloodbeasts of Khorne... 150 points
- Will nail the other flank shut, Bloodbeasts HURT anything they catch barring heavy cavalry.

Total points... 1446 points
Total powerdice... 2
Total Dispelldice... 4 + MR2 on two units
Total ammount of models... 64

A list more for the fluff behind it than in-game efficiency, but that doesn't mean that you have to make a bad list, just that you should make the best of what you've got, and I'd say that I've managed to do so.

EDIT: And yes, I am well aware that I still have 54 points left to use, but I don't see the need to use them, if I would use them on something, it would be a Chosen upgrade on the knights, but personally, once the list is up and running, I'd say they have to proove themselves worthy of the upgrade before getting it.

Belerophon709
09-10-2007, 20:17
The thing with my army from above:

5 mounted demonettes
3 screemers of tzeetch
1 nurgling base
1 giant
3X5 warhounds (forgot to mention that earlier and is edited now).

Is that it was at 2250 pts. There are alot of models in the army. And if you count up the unit strength, it is also pretty high.

The big thing is that 3X5 warhounds makes is super easy to win the deployment phase. You place 90 pts before while your opponent exposes considerably more. In one case, against a khorne army, I was able to lure two main unit of his with some strategic placing of warhounds.

The second thing is the superherd. A big nasty herd that can lay the smack down. On several occaisions, it broke the opponents line and ran up the flanks (due to being skirmisher).

Using nurgle characters really helps in units like beastherds and marauder units. Not having to take fear tests on ld 7/8 for my main body helps so much.

Everything else is just fast and hard hitting. Thus I am able to outmanouver my opponents in most cases and out deploy them too. I went 3-1-0 in the tourney and only lost to a VC points denial army (that was also able to match my deployment).

For future games, I will switch the BSB to nurgle and the beastlord to Tzeetch. Also, I will give the exalted a demonic mount and make my nurgle sorceror undivided. The nurgle lore is too tough for a level 1 spell caster, and a level 2 spell caster is a huge investment in points. But having fear in the unit (as mentioned before) really, really, really, really, really helps.

Check out results here (http://www.u2kr.com/200709wcm.shtml) look for Mark Girard

So the organizers at the event must have ruled that it's ok for characters with different marks to join the same unit then? Interesting...

MarcoPollo
10-10-2007, 01:54
Yup, no problem at all. Nor did they have problems with the Armor of Damnation on a Beastlord. Looking back on it, I think gaze of the gods is better statistically.

Looking at my comp scores(22/25), none of my opponents had an issue with it as well. In fact, one of my opponents was a chaos player too.

theDarkGeneral
10-10-2007, 05:24
Here's my Tournament Army...

1x Exalted Daemon: Undivided(320pts)
*Lvl 1, Fire, Soul Hunger, Spell Breaker

8x Chaos Furies: Undivided(120pts)
*Flyers

16x Bloodletters of Khorne: (291pts)
*Lt Armor, FC

8x Flesh Hounds of Khorne: (128pts)
*Fast Cav

21x Plaguebearers of Nurgle: (371pts)
*Cloud Flies, Stream Corruption, FC

4x Bloodcrushers of Khorne: (320pts)
*Hvy Cav

4x Plagueriders of Nurgle: (320pts)
*Cloud Flies, Poisoned, Hvy Cav

1x Chariot of Khorne: (190pts)
*Scythed, Xtra Juggernaut

1x Chariot of Nurgle: (180pts)
*Scythed, Xtra Daemon-Beast

TOTAL POINTS: 2,250
TOTAL MODELS: 65
Power Dice: 3
Dispel Dice: 3 + 1 Spell Breaker

Arryn
23-04-2008, 01:13
Righto I've got a list here that I will (most likely) be taking while allied with O&G's Vs Empire and High Elves. It would be great to get some feedback about this list, in particular where it may struggle against Empire and HE...

Exalted Champion (General)
MoS, Berserker Sword, Enchanted Shield, Daemonic Mount

Exalted Daemon
MoS, Soul Hunger, Diabolic Splendour

Slaaneshi Scroll Caddy
MoS, 2x Dispell Scrolls

5 Chosen Knights
MoS, Rapturous Standard

20 Chaos Warriors
HW, Shields

16 Chaos Warriors
2 HW's

Chaos Chariot

5 Warhounds

5 Warhounds

6 Furies

Spawn (Fiend of Slaanesh)

... cheers guys!

Gabacho Mk.II
23-04-2008, 01:27
Looking at my comp scores(22/25), none of my opponents had an issue with it as well. In fact, one of my opponents was a chaos player too.

No disrespect intended MarcoPollo, but your opponents and you should read the Chaos armybook when you have some time. ;)

Lord Hurin
23-04-2008, 03:53
Mine is as follows:

Chaos Lord of Slaanesh <Goes with Marauders
Blade of Blood, Gaze of the Gods, Pendant of Slaanesh, Shield

Sorcerer of Slaanesh
Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll, Barded Steed

Bray Shaman of Slaanesh
Lvl 2, Chaos Armour, Braystaff

19 Marauders
Lt. Armour, Flails, Shields, Full Command

5 Chosen Knights of Slaanesh
Champion, Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen
Shields, Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen
Shields, Musician

2x 5 Chaos Warhounds

Beast Herd
12 Ungors with Spears
12 Gors with Two Hand Weapons
Musician

4 Minotaurs
Great Weapons, Mark of Slaanesh

15 Daemonettes

7 Furies

That's just about all I can remember of it. I can't find my old list anywhere.

Malagant
23-04-2008, 19:46
Here's the 2k army I've put together for friendly games here. I've only used bits and pieces of it in smaller matches, haven't played the whole enchilada yet...but am going against 2k O&G this weekend. I'm a bit limited on models and a desire to not buy anything new until the new army book/list is done:

1 Exalted Sorcerer (Undivided) (Level 4, Chaos Steed, Skull of Katam, Enchanted Shield, Dispel Scroll) - Linger in the rear, moving for LOS to targets. Plan on Fire Lore to maximize damage.

1 Exalted Champion (Mark of Tzeentch) on Disc of Tzeentch [I know many don't like the Disc, but the LoS & Maneuverability have served me well!] (Power Familiar, Shield, Halberd) - Maneuver to gain favorable line of sight. Use LoS and 15" move to find favorable casting positions and charge to support others unexpectedly.

1 Aspiring Champion (Undivided) BSB (Sword of Might) - Stay with the infantry core, join the unit that looks the most threatened to deal much death, while maintaining BSB support for core

2x 15 Chaos Marauders with Full Command, Flail, Light Armor, and Shield - Form the center, be expendable, yet killy

10 Chosen Chaos Warriors (Mark of Tzeentch) with Full Command, Shields - form on flank of one of the Marauders, if enemy charges them, fine...if not, charge whatever's engaged with the Marauders (*Note, I should probably scrape up some points to put extra hand weapon on these guys. When/if I get a Chariot, I'd replace these guys with it and some warhounds).

5 Chosen Chaos Knights (Mark of Khorne) with Full Command - Form on flank opposite the Warriors. Linger back a bit to try to avoid being redirected. Screened by Screamers at start

5 Screamers of Tzeentch - I love these guys...Slashing Attack is a nice bonus, but even without it 2A and 2W makes them wonderful at hunting down any rear echelon troops. I'd take two units if the book would let me! These guys form up in front of the Knights, screening them on first turn, moving to march block on the second, then go rear-echelon hunting on the third

5 Fleshhounds of Khorne - These guys cover the flank opposite the Screamers, chasing away enemy fast cavalry...not much fast cavalry can stand against these guys. The Frenzy makes them unsuitable to march blocking, but they seem like great screens.

5 Chaos Marauder Horsemen with Musician, Flails, Shields, and Throwing Spears - Many folks say Throwing Spears are overrated, but I think the advantage of a thrown weapon with fast cavalry is priceless (Thrown weapon has no penalty for firing after movement; Fast Cavalry can fire after march move, and on the turn after rallying -- Move to throw range, throw, if charged, flee, rally, return and throw again.) - They form up to go march block and harass whatever they can.

2001 points total.

cold0
07-05-2008, 14:28
Here one of my list whic I have played for a while, before the "big revolution" of the new Daemon of Chaos book and the exclusion of the DoG units:

HEROES

Chaos Lord of Khorne (362 pts)
Axe of Khorne, Armour of Damnation, Gaze of Gods, shield, chaos steed
(generally I change the magic items vs. specific enemy. For example I use the Chaos Runeshield vs. Dwarves)

Battle Standard Bearer of Khorne (196 pts)
Sword of Might, Crimson Armour of Dargan, shield, chaos steed

CORE UNITS

4 Khornate Knights (177 pts)

4 Khornate Knights (177 pts)

1 Khornate Chariot (150 pts)

5 Marauder Horsemen (91 pts)
flail, shield, musician or
6 Chaos Furies (90 pts) but Special

5 Chaos Hounds (30 pts)

5 Chaos Hounds (30 pts)

6 Chaos Hounds (36 pts)

SPECIAL UNITS

4 Chaos Ogres (188 pts)
heavy Armour, great Weapon, shield

RARE UNITS

3 Dragonogres (237 pts)
Great Weapon, light armour

Mengil's Manflayers (325 pts)
7 + Mengil Manhide

1,999 points (or 1998 with the furies)
7 dispel dices

Mouseketeer
08-05-2008, 03:46
Long answer short..
Stick with big units of marauders..
Use puppies and marauder horsemen as operation "human shield" and for flanking
Than get those knights into hand 2 hand..

The Red Scourge
08-05-2008, 07:48
How about this:

1 Undivided Exalted Chaos Sorcerer with Shadow Lore
w. Gaze of Gods

3 Undivided Chaos Sorcerers with Death Lore
- one on daemonic mount and another with spell familiar

2 x 5 Knights of Khorne
- with musician

4 x 5 Marauder Horsemen
Throwing Axes and Musician

4 x 5 Chaos Warhounds

1 x 3 Dragon Ogres

Deploy heroes with horsemen for max movement and protection. Feigned flee is a godsend to casters.

And all this for just under 2k