PDA

View Full Version : Marks of Chaos

Elric101
07-10-2007, 11:31
I've chosen Chaos as my first, and hopefully long-term fantasy army. More out of the fact that I've never seen them at the local club and the theme and miniatures are great.

I picked up the army book and know that I want either a pure slaanesh or pure khorne list. Mixing them together is probably the best option that I can see.

Problem is, that if they're mixed I lose a bit of concentration when it comes to army selection. I was considering the possibility that this would give me a lot of rope to hang myself with.

So the question I pose is this...
Is it better to mix marks in the army (undivided/slaanesh/khorne) in my case, or should concentrate my unit choice a bit more?

My army would likely have some warriors and knights with MoK, Mtd. Daemonettes for some fast cavalry and of course slaanesh magic and a fiend of slaanesh.

Would this be an effective army build?

Any help appreciated!

logan054
07-10-2007, 12:24
Hey dude, well to be fair for performace its is far better to mix marks and to pretty much take the best aspects of each, you will find however alot of players dont do this (such as myself) as they find it unfluffy.

The list itself sounds pretty straight forwards, i guess you are going to want some:

chosen undivided knights lead by a exalted (this will allow the mixing), some fuires (you need these), warriors generally arnt all that good, the main reason people use them is because they like the models (such as me again), khorne are the only remotely effective choice due to have plenty of attacks. I guess it really depends if your list is going to be fun or to crush all who oppose you.

My only real advice is not to try and mix to many marks into a 2k list, remember you only have so many points to play with and your going to need a marked unit for each marked character.

theunwantedbeing
07-10-2007, 12:33
Seems like a good list.

I would like to point out that while effective khorne and slaaneshi is very unfluffy from a fluff point of view.

Elric101
08-10-2007, 07:09
I know some consider it unfluffy, but other races get to use their whole army book without accusations so I will too. Personally, I think it would work fluff-wise too, chaos of all marks band together when the need is great enough and it has potential to be really well-written as well.

It isn't a tournament list by any standard, more geared towards fun and loving the theme/hobby aspects of playing. So chaos warriors are in, as they look like a really nice plastic model to theme.

So gaming-wise, since I'm practically new to WHFB as a whole, would it be better to favour one of the gods, or try undivided until I get a good feel for what I want?

P.S. A little off-topic here, but would it ever be even remotely possible for chaos to set up an alliance with Tomb Kings in any way shape or form? My group and I are planning on running a team campaign eventually, Chaos and Tomb Kings on one side. Since its a narrative campaign, I was wanting to write some background behind the TK/HoC alliance but am not sure if it will work.

Kadrium
08-10-2007, 15:01
Fluff wise, it dosesn't make much sense for chaos to ally with pretty much anyone, except maybe a chaos worshipping cult from one of the other races. And Tomb Kings really wouldn't do that.

Also, be careful about marking fast units like knights and especially chariots with MoK. Its very easy for them to get baited out into a charge and then counter charged. Knights can usually take care of themselves, but it still makes them vulnerable, and chariots especially so.

lokigod
08-10-2007, 17:39
1. Plain and simple in 40k khorne and slaanesh are not fluffy!
2. In fantasy khorne + slaanesh doesnt go against the fluff.

Sorry but I hate it when people mix 40k fluff with fantasy fluff. Two different games made by the same company and that where the similaritys start and stop.

logan054
08-10-2007, 18:54
Generally mixing gods isnt that fluffy unless your playing a chaos invasion (the gods arnt friends afterall), even then if you look at the SoC list the followers of the gods are split into armies are the different gods. Still nothing wrong with mixing gods, its a army book to be used how you like. Some people frown upon it, but if your happy with the list and your and your opponents enjoy your games then really thats all that matters.

Now game wise i think your better of maybe mixing two gods at most, i think a very pottent combination could be say Tzeentch and khorne, it could work very well with beats tzeentch and khorne mortal, i dont think slaanesh and khorne os the best option, atleats with tzeentch you gain units that have the option to flee, this can be very helpful to say the least. Undivided and khorne could be better in some ways as you could go for dark magic for movement.

I think main advantage of tzeentch however is you would need less wizards and still be able to provide a rather nice amount of power dice and maintain a good magic defence.

Freak Ona Leash
09-10-2007, 00:49
1. Plain and simple in 40k khorne and slaanesh are not fluffy!
2. In fantasy khorne + slaanesh doesnt go against the fluff.

Sorry but I hate it when people mix 40k fluff with fantasy fluff. Two different games made by the same company and that where the similaritys start and stop.
:eyebrows: No, Khorne and Slaanesh still hate each others guts in WHFB.

FlylikeaMouse
09-10-2007, 20:12
If you want to mix marks to make an army your happy with, do it.
Forget the fluff. I usually play whatever I've recently painted and if that means mixing marks so be it.

If you are starting out and haven't bought many models yet. I would suggest painting your warriors in undivided colours and making interchangeable banners for them to show what mark they have. Saves you painting some as khornate warriors and some slaaneshi.

Also you are better off building one mark up befor another.
I would suggest starting with slaanesh because they are easier to handle.
Then build up your khorne army.

Then throw them both together :D

Elric101
10-10-2007, 07:07
I was considering building up Khorne first (even though they are seen as the most challenging) due to the abundance of units of theirs that I want to use.

Later on I might expand to slaanesh by taking an undivided general, slaanesh sorcerers and mtd. Daemonettes.

Are Khorne really difficult to play taking into account that everyone I'll battle against originally are starting out too with less experience than me?

Neknoh
10-10-2007, 07:27
My suggestion then would be to make two different armies, one Khornate and one Slaaneshi and then mix them together when you see the need or for larger games, since Khorne and Slaanesh are eachothers opposites, as are Nurgle and Tzeentch, you will be faced with several chaos players who find it unfluffy to combine the two. Khorne and Nurgle are more likely allies, though they still have some grudges.

Also, you don't really need Slaaneshi elements in a Khornate army, nor do you need Khornate elements in a Slaaneshi army, since you do have Fleshhounds when building a khornate army, who, in my opinnion, is excellent for a Khornate army due to their tendency to ripp wizards appart.

If you feel the need to mix marks rather than making two armies, may I suggest Nurgle and Khorne? Nurgle magic is probably one of the meaner lores to combine with Khorne and it would also give you access to Nurglings if an infantry army is on your mind