PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point Wood Elves, 2nd go

datalink7
04-09-2005, 05:08
Hi all,

Here is my previous thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10337)

The general concensus seemed to be that I would be swamped by enemy magic. So I came up with the following list. A change for the better, or for the worse? A summery of the changes are at the bottom.

2000 point Wood Elves

Heroes

Wood Elf Noble @ 130 Pts
Eternal Kindred; General
Great Weapon
The Horn of the Asrai
An Annoyance of Netlings

Spellsinger @ 175 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Dispel Scroll
The Deepwood Sphere

Spellsinger @ 175 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
2x Dispel Scroll

Core

10 Glade Guard @ 120 Pts

10 Glade Guard @ 120 Pts

8 Dryads @ 108 Pts
Branch Nymph

8 Dryads @ 108 Pts
Branch Nymph

5 Glade Riders @ 129 Pts
Musician

5 Glade Riders @ 129 Pts
Musician

Special

18 Eternal Guard @ 271 Pts
Full Command
War Banner

7 Wardancers @ 140 Pts
Bladesinger

6 Wild Riders of Kurnous @ 192 Pts
Full Command

Rare

6 Waywatchers @ 144 Pts

1 Great Eagle @ 50 Pts

Total Roster Cost: 1995

Summery of Changes:

+Level 2 Spell Singer w/Dispell Scroll and Deepwood Sphere
+Level 2 Upgrade on previous Scroll Caddy
+Branch Nymph in each dryad unit (thought to do this instead of adding another dryad to maximize attacks along frontage since they don't get rank bonuses)
+Great Eagle

-Alter Highborn with Bow of Loren (:(...I liked this guy)

Thoughts?

shadowprince
04-09-2005, 07:58
Much better you might be able to put up a fight now maby drop a unit of glade riders to get you highborn back then you can get the bow back. But not sugggesting it.

Shaman
06-09-2005, 05:10
Is being aggressive in magic with wood elves likely to be worth it? That would be my main concern with the list. Otherwise the troop choices are nicely rounded.

Sinew
07-09-2005, 16:37
Wood Elf Noble @ 130 Pts
Eternal Kindred; General
Great Weapon
The Horn of the Asrai
An Annoyance of Netlings I like what this guy gives to his unit (stubborn, the effect of the horn) but I think he'll be a fairly easy kill. Enemy characters are fine because of the netlings, but normal troopers will kill him with ease. His T3 2W and no armour makes him an easy target for any reasonable combat troops, so much so that opponents will refuse challenges to fight their normal troops against him fearing the netlings trick. If you can't protect him your tactic will fail, because he gives the unit stubborn so you can't afford him dying.

I also think your mage combo is a bit weird. 3 Dispel scrolls is a bit overkill IMO. Obviously you were concerned that you'd be squashed by magic, but 2 scrolls and some dice will see you through a couple of turns by which time you should aim to have killed/panicked at least one enemy mage. Elf wizards are so expensive and fragile I only think it's worth getting a second one if you're going to go all out in the magic phase. If not I'd trade the one with the deepwood sphere for a Branchwraith level 1 with the cluster of radiants (+1DD) and take the second level off the remaining spellsinger.

Last point; were I you I'd consider whether you need waywatchers over scouts. Sure waywatchers are good, but they're expensive. I don't think you'll notice the difference in 90% of games.

Wreckage
09-09-2005, 13:32
I personally prefer to NOT have a champion in my wardancers, so no challenge will take place. since no challenge will take place, three (typically) regular troopers will get to attack the character you want dead. I also do the same with my dryads. 1 additional attack is just not worth it.

It has worked numerous times, most notably when my 5 wardancers charged and killed my opponents solitary OK Bruiser. (This would obviously not have been possible if I had had a champion.)