PDA

View Full Version : IG: What Doctrine armies have you actually built/are you building?

Count de Monet
08-10-2007, 14:49
I normally do straight vanilla guard. Sometimes I'll toss in Light Infantry or Drop Troops. But I haven't built - as in modelled - a force using Chem Inhalers, Carapace armor, etc. With the threads about IG fears/hopes and discussion about expecting doctrines to go away, was wondering which ones actually get used/made.

So Warseers - aside from just 'buying back' unit types (Ogryns, Stormtroopers, etc), availability changes (Grenadiers/no 0-1 vets) and 'invisible' things like Iron Discipline, what doctrines do you or your mates use? Are they modelled?

Captain Micha
08-10-2007, 14:54
Light Infantry
Jungle fighters (diff army)
Carapace armor
Hardened fighters
Sharpshooters (represented by a laser sight on the las gun.. see it is twin linked! *snicker sorry*)
Chem inhalers
Chameoline (some small splashes of color changing paint here and there)
'Nid hunters
Grenadiers

those are the visible ones really.

Gwedd
08-10-2007, 15:05
Comrades,

Mechanised, with Carapace Armour, but the latter is only given to the Rough Riders.

Respects,

Bunnahabhain
08-10-2007, 15:19
Doctrines I use reasonably regularly, and have stuff built for.

Veterans- about 30ish convereted models for them. Used as veterans, or to make command squads look better. Squad with long rifles often act as ratlings. Others often become veteran sergeants

Storm troopers- 45 of them, mainly the Female ones produced via warseer.
That's a platoon of them

Rough riders. 45ish of them, converted from Empire bits
Again, a platoon of them, complete with mounted officer and commisar

Iron discipline. Officers with Iron D have one of the troopers in the squad converted up as a colour sergeant or equivalent. Extra fancy uniform, posture, converted weapons, and some have musical instruments. The officer may be new and inexperienced, but there's a grizzled veteran next to him who's seen it all, and survived mainly intact. He's knows when to run, and is still here, so it can't be that bad.

I have a couple of bits box psykers as well. Only used as an extra wound for command squads, and as making them was fun.

Close order drill. I have a platoon in paint that are on the 25x100mm bases for fantasy regiment, with matched up ranks in identical poses. Also using large number of kneeling legs from HW teams Think of any film with 19th century British empire soldiers. " front rank fire, second rank fire," etc. I may do another squad of them, to form a front rank that's lying down, as per a Napoleonic square to resit cavalry.

Other doctrines I use.
Drop troop, Carpace, light infantry, sharp shooters. sometimes used, but hard to represent on the models.

Quentin
08-10-2007, 16:52
I'm going to be building an IG infantry guerrilla force soon, using a few of the doctrines namely jungle fighters, light infantry and hardened fighters.

Jungle Fighters - Represented by a mixture of Cadian and Catachan bitz. Basically I'll have a Catachan BF and a Cadian BF, which I'll basically combine together.

Light infantry - Units with the Light Infantry doctrine will be provided with Mounted Vampire Cloak's to give them the tattered look of foot-slogging infiltrators.

Hardened Fighters - Only to be used on Sentinels, which'll be represented by the Catachan Chainsaw upgrade.

Ofaloaf
08-10-2007, 17:06
Close Order Drill- Bayonets for all! And for the lasguns without bayonets attached, I've given them halberd blades for replacement ones.

Rough Riders- Pistoliers + Cadian sprues. Fun stuff.

Iron Discipline- Not much difference in the officers, but I'll usually add a feather in their helmets or caps from empire plastic sprues.

MrBigMr
08-10-2007, 17:20
Carapace
Drop Troops
Techpriest
Abhuman
Afriel Strain

I got the idea of making an Aliens USCM themed IG army. Carapace and Drop Troops for that aereal deployment and high tech armor. Techpriest to keep the tanks online (planning on adding a VMB Macharius into the army). Abhuman/Afriel Strain is purely a rule thing to show their "behind the lines hard headed action." Much like how the Elysians have Iron Discipline in every squad.
For WIP pics:
http://warseer.com/forums/science-fiction-project-logs/87774-103rd-wayland-colonial-rangers.html?highlight=wayland

boogle
08-10-2007, 20:28
Did Elysians so they speak for themselves (including D-99 as well)

am doing Renegades now so
Ogryns
Priests
Psykers
Renegades
Heavy Weapon Platoons

Polonius
08-10-2007, 20:36
I nearly always use Close Order Drill and Iron Discipline with my Praetorians, with Sharpshooting for my heavy weapon squads. The praetorians look particularly good ranked up, IMO.

TheBedla
08-10-2007, 20:37
I'm just building a Grenadiers/techpriests/sharpshooters, not too sure about the others, but probably Ratlings, Mechanised, maybe even Carapace...

am doing Renegades now so
Ogryns
Priests
Psykers
Renegades
Heavy Weapon Platoons

What does "renegades" mean, is it a doctrine? If so, what does it do and where is it covered?

HiveFleetEzekial
08-10-2007, 20:57
Well, now that I'm done collecting my updated DA's for 1,500, I can start in on the Helghast IG I've been planning and mulling over for the past 3-4 years now.

Chem-inhailers
Carapace Armour
Stormtroopers
Sharpshooters

And the last will get swapped out depending on my mood on any given day
Rough Riders / Ogryn (using the renegade ogryn berserkers) / Special weapons (need my sniper rifles!). Was one other, but I can't think of it off-hand.

I've figgured this will now pretty much be soley an Apoc army (since I've only made lists that fill out all of the FOC slots). And since I'd resolved to pick up atleast one Mecharius for it... I've now bumped it up to a full 3 for a whole detachement.

Earthbeard
08-10-2007, 21:09
Currently doing for My IG renegade force for Apoc

Warrior Weapons
Hardened Fighters
Jungle Fighters
Light Infantry
Rough Riders

Sadly running out of needed extra parts, so need to get a fresh supply of "plastic crack" once my payslip gets here

Ardathair
08-10-2007, 21:17
Drop Troops

One Platoon (so far) with no heavy weapons.

Veterans

Combat Patrol unit

Heavy Weapons Platoon

the1stpip
08-10-2007, 21:38
I run with...

Drop Troops (two squads of veterans (the only ones who really would be taught how to deep strike). They are Catachans with jackets, Cadian heads with the Vox Caster Mouth Piece (used as a re-breather) and a Chaos Vehicle Smoke Launcher as a retro rocket (to slow their descent).

Veterans (see above)

Rough Riders (possibly with Xeno Mounts) Lizardmen Cold Ones with all Aztecy glyphs removed. Catachan legs cut into three and green stufed.
Marauder Torsos, Marauder Standard (for the Lance) Dark Eldar helmet (the one that looks like it has mandiblasters) cut down so only the two spikes remain, with a bit of plastic inbetween. Cadian Heads, piece of stretched sprue for a wire, running from the tip of the Lance to the catachan Back Pack.

I will post piccies in a bit, when I get some new ones taken.

Those are the only doctrines I use. I sometimes use Close Order Drill simply cos its free.

Triggerdog
08-10-2007, 21:48
Here's what I'm using in my current guard army:

Sharp Shooters
Light Infantry (I'm using Catachan models to represent this)
Close Order Drill (adding Bayonettes to the Catachan Lascarbines)
Heavy Weapon Platoons
Chem Inhalers (I use rotting flesh and bleached bone as skin tones for my army so they all look like strung out meth fiends)

Elcampbello
08-10-2007, 22:14
Would really like to do a mechanized, sharp shooting, carapaced armoured, hard fighting and storm trooper force. Sadly, my current income is no where near sufficient for that sort of project.

scopedog91
08-10-2007, 22:33
I run with two configs in my IG army.
The first is: Sharpshooters, Psykers and Stormtroopers.
Sharpshooter weapon squads, 20-30 Deep Strike Stormtroopers (made from the Mongoose Starship Trooper figures for you flexible collectors out there), and the psyker just for the random "whatpowerdidigetohshootitsa1" quality.
The second config is Grenadiers, two squads of 10 DeathKorp Fw guys in Chimeras, and Sharpshooters for Command Platoon gun squads.
No extra toys, just go straight for the shooting...
I always use 2-3 Lemans, and used to be a big fan of Heavy Weapon platoons, but since the new Chaos codex, I would rather have the 3 Lemans...

the1stpip
08-10-2007, 23:48
Okay, I've updated the project log, so here we go

here (http://warseer.com/forums/science-fiction-project-logs/92500-tenoch-iii-imperial-guard.html)

catbarf
09-10-2007, 02:01
I use Vostroyans, so I have Carapace Armor but also Chem-Inhalers to represent their skill at trench fighting (get on the ground!).

Triggerdog
09-10-2007, 02:08
I use Vostroyans, so I have Carapace Armor but also Chem-Inhalers to represent their skill at trench fighting (get on the ground!).

my army's reasoning for Chem inhalers is rather twisted in nature. It's common practice for the logistics officers to go over the battlefield after a fight and collect the corpses. The bodies are melted down into a highly nutritious gruel which is then fed to the infantrymen. They make no efforts to cover up the fact that they are feasting on their dead comrades. Combine that with the fact that they hail from a night world.

LoneSniperSG
09-10-2007, 02:15
my 51st Cadian Regiment features the regiment's 3rd armored division, so I plan to be primarily mechanized and have grenadiers.

Along side that, I have a DIY Nordian guard regiment in the works. They utilize warrior weapons and hardened fighters. I'm also pondering Die-hards for these fellas.

Ivan Stupidor
09-10-2007, 03:22
My 21st/234th Translaar Assault Regiment generally runs

Storm Troopers
Special Weapons Squads
Sanctioned Psykers
Hardened Fighters
Xeno-Fighters: Eldar

I'm currently in the process of begging Eldar players for bitz to decorate bases, and Hardened Fighters is represented by saying "Every squad with at least one fixed bayonet has Hardened Fighters. So, all of them except the Heavy Weapons Teams."

Vishok
09-10-2007, 03:41
What's the projection on the next version of Codex: Imperial Guard?

I have a lot of models but I don't really want to actually start chopping / painting / planning the list when the rules may / may not change soon.

Anyone have an idea?

TheNZer
09-10-2007, 03:57
I usaly ulilize Hardedned Vet's, Caprace armour and Xeno fighter's then anything lese I feel like.

The UnNamed One
09-10-2007, 03:59
I dont have much of an idea on the new codex. But atm i am working on a grenadiers/ deap striking list which is lickely to follow the Harakoni warhawks fluff

FunkyCommissar
09-10-2007, 04:08
my "flavor" guard army (as in flavorful and original, but not too competitive) is
Iron Discipline- I painted commissars up as normal officers and use them as such (lol, there are 3 Gaunts in the army)
Hardened Fighters- ccw (chainswords, powerfists, etc) have blood or gore on them
Carapace- i must admit, this is not modeled, but i didn't want to run the risk of ruining metal figs
Storm Troopers- used the old beret figs
Sharpshooters- tried putting scopes on guns, too hard and gave up!

jhon
09-10-2007, 05:29
drop troops
veteran
shall
psker
rider

Alx_152
09-10-2007, 06:14
iron discipline
hardened fighters
sharpshooters
ratlings
storm troopers

or

vanilla, if I want to field all of my IG.

HiveFleetEzekial
09-10-2007, 07:10
drop troops
veteran
shall
psker
rider

shall??? Never heard of that one.

blackroyal
09-10-2007, 07:22
The GW Genestealer Cult list.

Hardened Fighters
Veterans
Chem-Inhalers
Conscript Platoon
Heavy Weapon Platoon

I really want to convert the conscripts into a mixed crowd of civilians.

Voleron
09-10-2007, 12:47
My WIP IG -

Sharpshooters
Iron Discipline
Rough Riders
Sanctioned Psykers
Veterans

Not the most powerful of combos, I admit. The Psykers are there purely because I want to use the conversions I did. Other than that, I fully expect them to be useless in games. Oh, well.

My current Guard are just vanilla, No Doctrines.

Count de Monet
09-10-2007, 13:08
OK, so far aside from just buying back units or getting more of a type of unit (Vets, Grenadiers), looks like:

Sharpshooters: 10 Guess folks don't like BS3. ;)

Carapace Armor: 7.5 (one person only puts on RRs)

Drop Troops: 7

Hardened Fighters: 6.5 (one person only puts on Sentinels)

Iron Discipline: 6

Close Order Drill: 5

Light Infantry: 4

Chem Inhalers: 4

Mechanized: 3

Jungle Fighters: 2

Warrior Weapons: 2

Xeno Fighters: 2

Sir_Turalyon
09-10-2007, 15:27
You don't need to represent doctrines on your models except xeno fighters and perhaps warrior weapons, but I made a platoon in carprace armour and few tens of dedicated conscripts. I have so many heavy weapons that I would probably need heavy weapon platoons to field them all without promoting dedicated conscripts to proper guardsmen.

Grazzy
09-10-2007, 17:08
Tp whoever asked - renegades are just guardsmen gone bad (ie turned to chaos). People choose doctrines to represent this. I think FW are releasing/have released a renegade list in a book of theirs.

Bartman
09-10-2007, 17:45
I 'm busy with Vostroyans
and I 'm taking carapace armour and sharpshooters

I ' m trying to get some pics on warseer

ServanoTomasin
09-10-2007, 19:56
Cadian 85th Armoured Infantry, Pardus 8th Armoured, Valhallan 597th Infantry with the Valhallan 425th armoured. I use normal cadian models for them, but I have 25 Valhallans waiting for paint (would the cadian 85th scheme in the dex be ok for them? They are working on a red, non hot desert planet). And keeping them the smae scheme saves money on paint and models.

Allways:
Techpriests, grenadeers, carapace
others:
Hardended fighters, Indipendent comissars, mechanised, ratlings, sharp shooters, close order, xenos orks/nids

It varies alot, mainly because I only field the Cadians, and who I may be fighting - some doctrines don't work well against some races.