PDA

View Full Version : Coolest movie ever....

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
04-09-2005, 06:33
I have just seen what in my mind is the coolest movie ever. I have seen lots of good movies, but none measure up to Cowboy Bebop, the movie (not sure on the exact name...). I dont know why, but i just loved it! Im going to buy it tomorrow, i loved it so much. Before that movie i didnt like anime, now im really lovin it. The only anime show i would watch would be ghost in the shell cause i thought all other were crap; well, this movie opened my eyes.

Now i ask you, friends, warseer posters, fellow warhammer players, what is your favorite movie?

ReDavide
04-09-2005, 06:49
Most movies I see, I really like, and then a week later I've forgotten them.

The one that has stayed with me most would have to be Irreversible. Most critics thought it was mediocre, and it never got outside art houses.

(don't worry, no spoilers): It starts with a murder scene, and then takes you backwards scene-by-scene, Memento-style, through all the events leading up to it.

From the first five minutes, you're sitting in your seat in horror at what's on the screen. And it never ends for the entire length of the movie. No cheap jump-out-of-your-seat scares. Everything is right there in front of the camera, long & drawn out.

It's a completely devastating movie to watch.

lord_blackfang
04-09-2005, 07:49
The only movie that I never miss when it's on TV is Casablanca. Key Largo a close second.

As for anime, Princess Mononoke of course. Studio Ghibli can do no wrong.

Jaq Draco
04-09-2005, 07:51
Boondock Saints

"there was a firefight"

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
04-09-2005, 08:11
Ive never seen boondock saints, and i really want to.

Pretty much any quentin tarantino movie is awesome, havent seen kill bill 2 yet, but 1 owned up.

Grumnir
04-09-2005, 08:24
Damn thought i was gonna bethe first in with boondock saints ;)

so a second to that :)

:skull: "We've got to f... with him" :skull:

Whilst this might start sounding like the movie society thread I'd also have to rate Zulu as very up there

Captain Stern
04-09-2005, 08:35
Batman Begins. It's got to be the best film I've ever seen.

Then...

Apocalypse Now... Very cool movie.

devolutionary
04-09-2005, 08:41
I won't go in to why Predator and Alien both ruled.

Equilibrium. Damn good movie. Watch it.

Spacemunkie
04-09-2005, 09:06
Dunno about the coolest movie ever, too many good films to pick just one.

There are some seriously good Korean movies around at the moment. 'Oldboy' is fantastic. 'Joint Security Area' by the same director is excellent. 'Brotherhood' makes Saving Private Ryan look tame. 'Save the Green Planet' is mental but worth a viewing!

Cypher
04-09-2005, 09:59
I reckon Pulp Fiction has to have some of the highest cool factor around.

That and any of Guy Ritchie's material.

Yorkiebar
04-09-2005, 10:08
Team America.

I'd like to see some that have already been mentioned, but I don't believe they have a chance against the overdone puppet swearing, sex and violence of Team America.

"The next time you do that, I'm gonna rip of your balls and shove 'em up your ass, so the next time you take a *****, you ***** all over your balls!"

Jaq Draco
04-09-2005, 10:47
Yeah even though i said Boondock Saints ive still gotta pip in with Equilibrium

Baggers
04-09-2005, 11:25
I must say I have been recently impressed with Collaterol again. I saw it at the cinema and it has a certain wow factor.

Snoozer
04-09-2005, 12:28
Sin city, I have only seen it twice, but I hope that it doesn't lose the WOW factor after I buy it on DVD and watch it over and over and over again...

If it does then Memento is the coolest of the all.... or Kummeli ja Kultakuume (that one I have literally seen over 100 times, the best Finnish movie ever, actually the only Finnish movie that is even 'good').

:D

Crux
04-09-2005, 12:30
<snip>'Brotherhood' makes Shaving Ryans Privates look tame. 'Save the Green Planet' is mental but worth a viewing!
Fixed :p I mean this as a joke, please don't take this in a bad way.

Strictly Commercial
04-09-2005, 12:38
Bullitt is still cool after all these years, just because Steve McQueen doesn't make a single idiot wise crack throughout the whole flick. In fact, he seems to act as if every threat just rolls off his back. Different style of movie than any cop flick you'll see today.

Has anyone ever seen Lady Snowblood? There are too many movies out there to name a favorite but this one is probably the best "revenge" flick ever made. You can see major inspirations for Kill Bill with this film.

Samoth
04-09-2005, 12:56
A few of the more recent films I have liked have been collateral, team america, crash, sin city and most recently kung fu hustle - hilarious.

Vaya
04-09-2005, 13:10
For me, it has always been and will always be The Big Lebowski. Man, that's just... my opinion man.

As anime goes: Akira. No doubt.

Archaon
04-09-2005, 13:12
Highlander.. hands down (and forget the **** poor crap sequels).

Sean Connery as Ramirez

Kurgan

Connors wife dies and he carries her up a hill while "Who wants to live forever" by Queen plays in the background

Soundtrack by Queen

The whole concept of the movie

Katana is teh 1337!!

Vaya
04-09-2005, 13:21
Okay, there's one thing that has always bothered me about Highlander. You have a Scotsman, Connor McLeod, and he is played by French Canadian Christopher Lambert, complete with stupid accent (sorry French-Canadians). And then you have a guy from Spain, portrayed by a Scottish actor with a fat Scottish accent.

:wtf:

Strictly Commercial
04-09-2005, 13:24
Okay, that got me laughing.

Anyone ever see Hardboiled with Chow Yun Fat? That one is a classic as well.

Kohhna
04-09-2005, 13:28
Oldboy
<=====
So many, depends on your definition of cool. Get Shorty, Pulp Fiction and the Original Shaft, all have very cool leading men. Anything by Scorcese is usually pretty cool (havent seen gangs of NY yet though) Goodfellas being the coolest. Ghost Dog, Way of The Samurai looks like it should be a gangster film, but really it isn't, so don't watch it expecting it to be one and you will find an extremely cool film.

In terms of bats'-**** out there brilliance 200 Motels ranks highly (though is likely to annoy most people, don't watch it expecting a Normal Film).

Anime - while some of it is good, much of it is pretty bad. Good ones; Akira, Steamboy, Anything by Studio Ghibli Cyber City Oedo, Texhenolyze (sp?), Blood the last Vampire and the Ghost in the shell TV serise (stand alone complex).

Wiseman
04-09-2005, 13:39
id have to say my favorite would be american beauty, im not sure why though

Vaya
04-09-2005, 13:45
Kevin Spacey?

Wiseman
04-09-2005, 13:59
not normally a fan of kevin spacey(well i havent seen much with him in it)

Vaya
04-09-2005, 14:01
Well, we could go on guessing, but I guess Sylass or Brimstone will come along and tell us to start P'M-ing eachother 'or else'. Lets just say American Beauty is a cool movie. :D

Shuya
04-09-2005, 15:15
Battle royale, I Just sit down with my mates during P.E wishing it was real, And discussing in order who and how we would like to kill people

Delicious Soy
04-09-2005, 15:20
How did we get to page 3 without anyone mentioning Fight Club?

hairyman
04-09-2005, 15:25
How did we get to page 3 without anyone mentioning Fight Club?

Cos that would break the rules of fight club ;)

No one will ever have heard of this, but "Wizards" by a guy called Ralph Bakshi is very cool. Dark little animation thing, sort of for kids.

CELS
04-09-2005, 15:26
As unoriginal as it may be, I still think Pulp Fiction is the coolest movie ever, in virtue of being the only movie I've probably seen 10+ times and found enjoyable every darn time. You guys mention a lot of cool movies, but there's not one of those I would watch 10 times.

And Captain Stern.... Batman Begins? I'm lost for words :wtf:

The pestilent 1
04-09-2005, 15:33
Transformers the movie.
no. really. bear with me here.
there somthing about an unimaginably ancient evil causing your childhood heroes to mercilessly slaughter eachother because of a silly war.
a war that has raged so long that they cant remember why they started fighting in the first place.
just strikes you at the core when you think about it that way.

m1s1n
04-09-2005, 16:16
Just thought this would be a good time to drop a plug for the WarSeer Movie Society.
We really would love it if we could get more people involved in our screenings. More than one film listed in this thread has either been discussed, or is on the "to do list"--so you should totally drop by and get involved. I'd really love to see what you guys have to say about the films we have been watching.

As for my favorite--I don't really have one. I guess it really depends on genre, era, and other factors. There are so many great movies in this world it is really difficult for me to pin one down.

alterion
04-09-2005, 16:19
battleship pontemkin.. or for a more normal film
the 2 studio ghibli's are so good anime its unfair and the inteprter was a very cool if hard to follow film..

Kohhna
04-09-2005, 17:39
Flight of Dragons. Rarely seen (over here anyway) but excellent animated fantasy with JEJ reprising his Vader voice for an evil wizard + features prominently a fantasy wargame! Could you ask for more?

ArtificerArmour
04-09-2005, 17:49
it was cowboy bebop: stairway to heaven.

that movie was cool. spike sparring with the girl whilst wearing janitor clothing - fantastic. akira and ghost in the shell also reverberate cool.

ghost in the shell moreso, actually. the scene at the end with the spider tank, kusinagi facing it alone with a gun that can't even dent it. fantastic, music, animation, everything.

but tetsuo going medievil on the japanese army wearing a red shroud was also pretty sweet.

Captain Stern
04-09-2005, 18:02
And Captain Stern.... Batman Begins? I'm lost for words :wtf:

What's your problem with Batman Begins? :wtf:

It's bloody brilliant!

Michael Cane: " I find a lot of these comic book heroes boring because they are invincible. If you're bulletproof, where's the jeopardy for the hero? You can't gas him, you can't kill him, what's the point? And he is making a very, very natural Batman. I remember one phrase he said to me, I said, 'Well, he's very powerful and strong.' And he said, 'Yes, he is Michael, but not because of Kryptonite, it's because he does pushups.'"

Damn right, baby!

Spacemunkie
04-09-2005, 18:29
Never mind, you'll get over it!!

lol

DisturbeD_
04-09-2005, 20:38
Princess Mononoke of course..

couldn't agree more :D

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
04-09-2005, 21:07
i liked the first ghost in the shell movie very much, but i havent seen the second, so i cant comment on that. I love the show, though, very interesting. Especially the one episode where section 9 gets disbanded and everyone goes their seperate ways...until they get back together again. Batu is awesome...togusa is pretty cool too. But i dont think any character is as cool as spike spiegel, especially from that fight with the special forces girl Artificer mentioned....awesome scene.

Also....did anyone understand the underlying meaning of the movie? I felt that it has one, but i could really grasp anything other than the obvious

anarchistica
04-09-2005, 21:26
Battle royale, I Just sit down with my mates during P.E wishing it was real, And discussing in order who and how we would like to kill people
And with what weapon? Curious you'd want to be forced to kill your friends for your own safety. :p

My favourite movie is is a toss-up between Pulp Fiction and Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain. Other favourites are Le Cinquième Élément, Magnolia and Clerks.

Adept
04-09-2005, 22:05
Kung Fu Hustle!

Wiseman
05-09-2005, 00:22
Well, we could go on guessing, but I guess Sylass or Brimstone will come along and tell us to start P'M-ing eachother 'or else'. Lets just say American Beauty is a cool movie. :D
i concur.

just watched jurassic park again,i still love that movie!

Jaq Draco
05-09-2005, 00:28
you llove a lot of things diddimz, its just we cant mention them on a family forum lol :D :P

i havent seen kung fu hustle yet :(

but i have to say the new charlie and the chocolate factory rates pretty highly

Xinithorp
05-09-2005, 01:31
I've got many favourites, but highest in the ultimate "cool" factor for me would have to be Collateral.

I saw Kung Fu Hustle recently. That was a weird movie.

Wiseman
05-09-2005, 06:42
you llove a lot of things diddimz, its just we cant mention them on a family forum lol :D :P

yeh but JD your not one of them ;)

but i have to say the new charlie and the chocolate factory rates pretty highly
yeh its a good movie, songs are so catchy

ArtificerArmour
05-09-2005, 09:20
i intensly disliked charlie and the choccy factory.

intensly.

Jaq Draco
05-09-2005, 11:31
ordinarily i have to get in a diddimz snipe in each one of my posts

but i cant think of anything

back on track

what did everyone think of Escape from New York

Wiseman
05-09-2005, 13:46
ordinarily i have to get in a diddimz snipe in each one of my posts

but i cant think of anything

back on track

what did everyone think of Escape from New York

I'd like to summon a mod and ask for a banning on JD for admitting to trolling, i mean he's just admitted he tries to take a dig at me, i feel humiliated by his constant and blatant abuse on me by his obvious trolling. But then i guess when your as insecure as him theres nothing else you can do but take a dig at some person on the internet, that you've never met;);)**

Havent seen escape from new york, heard good things about it though

**mods please not i am only mucking around i add this as JD was afraid that a mod might not realise this and that its only friendly banter

Jaq Draco
05-09-2005, 13:49
ok back on track

what made Bladerunner so good, i havent seen it in awhile and have vague recollections of it

VanDoo
05-09-2005, 14:24
Hmmm... I guess I`d have to go with Pulp Fiction, though Ghost in the Shell was also cool. I bought the sequel on DVD... only to find out it`s only in Japanese with English sub-titles. :(

Kaaijer
05-09-2005, 16:16
Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

The best of one of sci-fi's greatest trilogies.

m1s1n
05-09-2005, 16:17
ok back on track

what made Bladerunner so good, i havent seen it in awhile and have vague recollections of it

The film follows a traditional film noir feeling while being set in a dark polluted future. Additionally, the central focus and theme of the film is "What makes you a alive?" There are some great existential questions in "Blade Runner" such as "How do you know that you experienced your own memories?" Furthermore, the movie has a great atmosphere and is fairly well acted. The director's cut is a little bit better--lacking the voice overs and focusing more on the question of "Are you really a human?"

:0)
05-09-2005, 16:21
Alien and Aliens
Godzilla vs. Ghidrah
Arachnophobia
A Christmas Story
Mean Girls
Jurassic Park 1&3. The Lost World sucked on ice.
King Kong

...and the list goes on.

Reinnon
05-09-2005, 16:30
My personal fav:

Hero: ok, a bit unrealistic but the fight parts are great

Bladerunner: i like the noir in it and it was very well done

Gladiator: i like the fights and the music is great

Highlander: when i saw it first i was around 10, blew my mind away

those are my favorite, i did enjoy many others but those are the films i can watch again and again.

oh, and equilibilum (sp?) as i like pistols :)

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
05-09-2005, 18:12
Jet Li's Hero was ******* amazing...well written, well acted, great fight scenes. I loved the use of different colors to change the mood.