PDA

View Full Version : What's you favourite Magic Item?

PiousVanDorn
08-10-2007, 17:36
Hi Everyone
I've always wondered what different armies favourite Magic Item is, and why?
Is it becasue it captures the spirit of the army or is it becasue it's rock hard?

My personal favourite is the OK Great Skull - for 20pts it's a subtle way of increasing your Butchers effectiveness in a number of ways. I never leave home without it!

:D

Stella Cadente
08-10-2007, 17:59
My favorite is the Sword of Might, cheap, but cheerful, that extra +1str on your characters can be EXTREMELY useful

Kahadras
08-10-2007, 18:38
Warbanner. Has to be one of the most used items in the game bar dispel scrolls (which I feel are a cop out anyway).

Kahadras

W0lf
08-10-2007, 19:39
Ether Warbanner (i will ALWAYS have one, reguarless of the army)

or my other fav, STAFF OF CHANGE! .. or the Staff of gay as the other store regs call it...

They just hate how brutal it is :P

Crube
08-10-2007, 19:46
My Chaos general always had the Staff of CHange so powerful but also so fluffy for a Tzeentch Lvl 4 Mage General....

Nowadays, the more subtle Van Horstmans Speculum - on a cheap EMpire Captain. Can be a nasty surprise for your opponent...

theunwantedbeing
08-10-2007, 20:49
Black amulet.
Works rather well against things like blood dragon lords.

Commodus Leitdorf
08-10-2007, 20:57
Gotta be my Rod of Command for my Empire army. Nothing like losing a combat by 7 and popping out that bad boy to keep me in the fight till help arrives!

moose
08-10-2007, 21:42
Storm Daemon. Because its like warpstone sex...simple as?

sephiroth87
08-10-2007, 21:43
Sword of Might. I think I have 1 army list out of 7 that doesn't use it.

brettz123
08-10-2007, 22:09
Van Horstmens Speculum on an Engineer on a mechanical steed......

MarcoPollo
08-10-2007, 22:13
Dispell scroll

empireguard
09-10-2007, 00:40
Van Horstmens Speculum on an Engineer on a mechanical steed......

He can't take magic items (yet another reason why he sucks).

I have a few

For a wizard Rod of power (RoP)
For a BSB griffon standard (Up to +6 for ranks bonus is still to good to miss)
For a WP sword of battle (the extra attack really helps) or the VHS if the enemy has some really good Characters but I try not to take to often.

I ALWAYS take the RoP so I guess that's my favourate.

Highborn
09-10-2007, 06:04
Hail of Doom Arrow.

Hvidponi
09-10-2007, 08:28
Warpstone Amulet... 4+ ward for 25 pts... Only a small chance of dying after the battle... lovely...

gerrymander61
09-10-2007, 08:44
Good skaven ones mentioned earlier but the one that takes the cake for me is the warpstone token. 10 point free anytime powerdice. The chance of hurting the user just makes it better in my eyes. Very Skaveny, very cheap, and very good.

Oh, and the Jaguar Cloak for lizzies is fantastic

mav1971
09-10-2007, 14:32
I think its called Eye of the Horned Rat. On a D6 roll of 2+ you get 1 extra power dice and on a roll of a 1 you lose 1 power dice. I hardly ever roll a 1.

Scythe
09-10-2007, 14:48
My favorite is the Sword of Might, cheap, but cheerful, that extra +1str on your characters can be EXTREMELY useful

Sign me up. I don't think I ever leave home without it in any of my armies. Enchanted Shield and Warbanner are also there, btw.

For race specific items, I don't really know. My dark elves hardly use non-common magic items (I might take the Gauntlett from time to time, and I always take the seal of ghrond, usually combined with the darkstar cloak, but they are not real favorites), and tough I use some for my vampire counts, they vary a lot. Sword of Kings and Gem of Blood is a favorite combo of mine tough, and the Book of Arkhan and the Black Periapt are just generally very usefull items.

blurred
09-10-2007, 15:21
For my Empire: Sword of might or rod of power
For OnG: Amulet of protectyness

SpeedyGoat
09-10-2007, 15:42
Gotta be the Hail of Doom arrow for me. At 30 points it always makes its points back and I never leave home without it.

chivalrous
09-10-2007, 15:47
This might not be popular wit the majority of Dark Elf players but I always take the Blade of Ruin for a noble accompanied by a unit of Dark Riders.
Bloody useful for flank charging units of Iron breakers or slower cavalry units.

Besides that, I quite like Lifetaker on a Noble too, either on a Dark Pegasus/Manticore or in a unit of Dark Riders. It's a pretty good for lone-wizard killing, reducing war machine crews and whittling down skirmishing units. There are also occasions where its made it's points back by sniping a single model from a unit to reduce rank/outnumber bonuses. One paper it doesn't look too great, but on the field it will win its points back and then some.

lector#1
09-10-2007, 15:56
even tho its not allowed on a normal tombking i would have to say settra's sword of ptra if you have read the rules for it if you get a chance to i suggest you do it is because of settra that im starting a 3k TK army making people take leadership tests other wise go to ws 1 and ppossibly take d6 str4 hits and adding always strike first

bambamBIGILO
09-10-2007, 20:02
For O&G Martog best basha 15pt +1 WS +1I +1St how can you go wrong! Never leave home without it.
Like Horn of UrgoK to, 40pts but still worth it i think

Crazy Harborc
10-10-2007, 00:55
The Enchanted Shield followed by, but almost tied with, The Sword of Striking. No Sword of Striking for 7th Edition greenies....sooo the Enchanted Shield moved up one.;)

Zeuy
10-10-2007, 05:38
Charm of the Jaguar is so much fun. Seeing that little lizard bolt accross the field makes me giggle.

The Old Scholar
10-10-2007, 06:40
Order of importance:
1. Banner of Sorcery
2. Warbanner
3. Sword of Might
4. Enchanted Shield
5. Vambraces of Defence

Scythe
10-10-2007, 07:57
This might not be popular wit the majority of Dark Elf players but I always take the Blade of Ruin for a noble accompanied by a unit of Dark Riders.
Bloody useful for flank charging units of Iron breakers or slower cavalry units.

Ahh, I use it from time to time. I found the blade of rhuin to be very nice against Brettonia. Negate their armour saves while still keeping their pesky ward save at 6+. And, unlike the gauntlett, it lets you keep your initiative.

IvorTangrean
10-10-2007, 16:47
Lizardmen Diadem of Power. It drives my friends nuts to see me have a lvl 2 caster generate 5 (2 DoP + 1 lvl2 + 2 base) dd, then once I no longer need the defence I generate 6 (2 DoP + 2 lvl2 + 2base) pd with the same guy.

aldroud
10-10-2007, 17:11
I dunno, I really like Nibbla's 'itty Ring.
I want to model up an Orc with a musket for the WYSIWYG.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
10-10-2007, 23:11
Shield of Ghrond

Resolving attacks at -1 Str is huge for T3 Druchii characters. Not only does it make the standard S3 attacks wound on 5's, but it also preserves armor saves in the process. Given to harder armies, this mioght be slightly unbalanced, but for DE it's perfect as perfect gets.

Lion El Jason
11-10-2007, 00:41
Dispel Scroll. I hate them, but cant seem to write a list without scroll caddies.

Otherwise, Amber Pendant. Its very cool and wood-elfy to trump other items with cleaver stuff rather than brutal +stat items.

sralialo
11-10-2007, 10:05
I'm puzzled as to why the Book of Arkhan isn't mentioned. Probably because VC players haven't posted yet. It's a bit expensive and it's a bound spell, but getting Vanhel's Dance Macabre even when you roll badly for spells is great. Especially if you save it for a crucial point in the game, and your opponent is out of dispel dice...

eleveninches
11-10-2007, 11:26
1. Book of arkhan
2. Huanchi's blessed totem / banner of murder
3. cloak of mist & shadows
4. staff of change
5. van horstmaans speculum
6. rune of determination (on hammerers)
7. master rune of challenge
8. dispel scroll
9. hail of doom arrow
10.powerstone

feintstar
13-10-2007, 04:41
I know everyoine's going to hate and disagree, but

Book of Hoeth

Because HE are supposed to be significantly better at magic than eveyone else save Lizardmen, and I like to see them prove it. Also because it allows a mixed heroes selection - normally you're either all magic or all combat plus scroll caddy, but with a BoH you don't have to try to overwhelm your opponent's dispell dice with lots of spells - the spell gets IF, or it gets dispelled, or you get a miscast. So you can take the archmage and a Banner of Sorc, and count your magic phase as complete.

The other item I really like is the daemonsword for exalted sorcerers. Just for character, and because its a non - Tzeentch way of having my cake and eating it too.

dalakh
13-10-2007, 11:16
Brimstone Bauble! gobbo-chariot-bomb anyone? :angel:

Wodan.BR
13-10-2007, 21:46
For me it's the bow of the seafarer, all the way.
Love using it againt empire cavalry (since most other things in a HE army will just fail to wound them)

Lorcryst
13-10-2007, 22:44
Well, apart from the obvious Dispel Scrolls, I'd say the Axes of Khorgor on my Doombull of Khorne ... I also use them on my Mortal Chaos Lord, when they're not Tzeentch-marked.

Makaber
14-10-2007, 01:07
Shield of Ghrond. It gives you pretty much +1 Toughness for 35 points (or is it 30?), PLUS it acts like an enchanted shield to boot!

Salyx
14-10-2007, 01:41
When I think of the best Items, 4 Items come into my mind and I always use them:

Gaze of the Gods: 30 points for a 4+ ward save? I take it! And as I use this Item for single mounted characters I like the negative effect taking place-if he flees and can't rally he's nearly off the table and then I'm happy when he turns into a chaos spawn so I can hide points from the enemy.

Dispel Scroll: No need to say anything- u just need them.

War Banner: The best banner to boost my chosen Knights-unlike the raptorous standard it really helps my Knights win CR-only the Banner of Rage seems better to keep your Knights in combat and win it-but for that I have to pay 70 points more.

Power Familiar: A very good Arcane Item since the release of the seventh Edition, because the dices go into the pool. Makes 2 Sorcs a playable magic offensive.

Tuch
14-10-2007, 01:54
I can't seem to equip my sorcerers without using a Power Familiar on at least one of them.

Ward.
14-10-2007, 05:27
Armor of Gazrakh, the gauntlet and a great weapon (or the hammer of hashut against woodies and tomb kings) turns that dark hearted stunty into death on a stick.

Besides that, diadem of power or banner of the barrows.

EDIT: So that's my Vote for the armor.

bluey
14-10-2007, 07:06
good ol' enchanted shield.... cant go wrong (unless you have great weapon..)

i also like executioners axe , handy for low strength elves