PDA

View Full Version : Best Primarch

PNETOD
08-10-2007, 23:41
From all the primarchs [SIZE="3"]Excluding HORUS[SIZE="3"] I think the best was LION el JONSON he was trained by horus and was the first primarch to be found.

AND FORGET SPACE WOLF's We ALL know their primarch is a DEAMON PRINCE

Imperialis_Dominatus
08-10-2007, 23:43
I really don't think we need another 'Best Primarch' thread. Sorry.

By the way. Sanguinius owns.

Ktotwf
08-10-2007, 23:55
Sanguinius was the best Primarch. He stayed true to the big picture.

Tanith Ghost
09-10-2007, 00:00
I'm a huge fan of Russ(Party animal supreme and defender of mankind in one? FTW!) and Vulkan(Tough guy who brings a world of hurt by fire).

Sanguinus is overall the most noble and courageous though.
To give one's life purely for the sake of duty and to refuse the only chance to live because it would be wrong it to me the greatest devotion one can give.

Sanguinus knew he would pay with his life for his loyalty to the Emperor, and he willingly went to his death rather than betray his oaths.

Kasonic
09-10-2007, 00:02
Sanguinius is the man.

elusiveintrovert
09-10-2007, 00:09

Care to quote a source on that? I've never heard of Russ turning into a deamon prince, only wandering off into the eye of terror.

Anyway, Lion for the win. He was the most tactically minded, and next to Horus he had the most victories, and a lot of the victories that Horus claimed were actually those of other primarchs.

Twisted Ferret
09-10-2007, 00:11
Magnus and Perturabo, of course. :angel: Magnus being the only one who saw clearly the value of knowledge and sorcery, Perturabo being the best general of the lot, though through no fault of his own he was relegated to garrison duty.

Inquisitor Feldenhaus
09-10-2007, 00:15
I don't think a best primarch really exists, I mean, they all had their own special attributes and skills, which made them all excel at different things, this thread is akin to best chapter/legion, which is pretty much impossible to say, although I am a fan of Lion el'Jonson, Ferrus Manus, Sanguinias, and Rogal Dorn.

DantesInferno
09-10-2007, 00:18
The fact that the topic needed to be qualified to exclude Horus really speaks for itself...

Anyway, it depends entirely what you mean by "best" in this context. It's a completely open-ended question with no way of distinguishing between the criteria people use to decide.

Hellebore
09-10-2007, 00:21
Lion El'Jonson was also NOT the first Primarch found, so you'd better reiterate exactly what makes him the best.

Personally I think Guilliman and Dorn are the best. My FAVOURITES are Vulcan and Russ, but in terms of unsung hero types, without special abilities etc Dorn and Guilliman are right there.

Hellebore

Colonel Deal
09-10-2007, 00:31
Perturabo is my favourite, and while he is certainly an expert in siegecraft and vastly superior to Dorn in every way, I would have to grudgingly say that Guilliman and Alpharius would be the best generals if Horus is excluded.

Inquisitor Engel
09-10-2007, 00:35
The Night Haunter FTW. ;)

I don't know "Best Primarch" is a retarded idea anyway - in third edition yeah, with it's lack of background and few novels, (most importantly, before the IA series) it was easy to judge the "best."

Now, it's more of a "who's got the most interesting story." Or, alternatively "Who do you play?"

I think the most interesting stories, by far, are that of Fulgrim, Night Haunter and Magnus - odd that all are traitor Primarchs (Night Haunter was clearly agnostic ;)).
The most boring ones in my mind are Guilliman (coming from someone who plays Ultramarines), Vulcan and Sanguinius.

Russ and Jonson's story is more interesting than either together and Sanguinius' only gets interesting within the context of the Seige of the Emperor's Palace.

Tragedy is ultimately one of the best forces in a story and ultimately, one of the best character buildings - nothing is more tragic than Fulgrim and Magnus and nothing more ironic than Night Haunter.

At least to me. ;)

Invader Nails
09-10-2007, 00:43
I tend to agree with Inquisitor Engel. If we're talking "most interesting backstory," then I would say Night Haunter, Magnus, and Sanguinius (I loved his 2e background, and thankfully it hasn't been unmercifully tampered with ... yet).

As far as the most powerful, the answer is obviously Horus, followed by all the Demon Princes. If we're talking pre-Chaos intervention then I'd imagine them all to be pretty much tied (although Ferrus Manus might come out of left field to win this one due to his necrodermis upgrade). As far as the best strategist ... well that's highly arguable.

Ivan Stupidor
09-10-2007, 00:55
I admit that I've always had a soft spot for Roboute Guilleman, Warrior Bureaucrat, but I will admit that he's got a rather boring story. If we're talking storywise, Magnus and Lorgar have always been my favourites. The Traitor Primarchs tend to have the best stories, mainly because they need to have much more pronounced flaws to show their fall.

Noserenda
09-10-2007, 01:19
Number 2 clearly, his wang was so big the others erased him from history to hide their jealousy. :angel:

Hive Mind 33
09-10-2007, 01:23
Chuck Norris oh im sorry his son Russ

mistformsquirrel
09-10-2007, 03:25
Sanguinous for me takes my favorite spot.

I don't think you CAN say "best" honestly, because there are far far far too many qualifiers.

I'll just give a top 5, but there are few primarchs I honestly don't like.

1) Sanguinous - Wings! Ok there's also the whole noble spirit he embodies; as well as his lingering (if negative) touch on his descendants.

2) Vulcan - The Salamanders may actually beat out every other chapter for my title of "Favorite"; I'm not so sure I'd *play* them - but I love how they actually integrate with their people and actually care about folks. It says volumes if 10,000 years later your descendants can hold onto such ideals.

3) Alpharius - Yes yes, we all know he was a 'whiny emo teenager who just wanted attention' - who cares? Alpharius' tactical brilliance was rightly legendary. The fact that he COULD take a well held position whilst losing scant few of his own men is downright astounding. Further, his death remains hotly debated: its a testament to someone's genius if you have to actually question if they are dead or not. Alpha Legion also still poses a grave threat to the Imperium even after all this time.

4) Night Haunter - For one, I dig the Batman thing quite a lot honestly. But the major appeal that Night Haunter has for me, is that his intentions started out so noble. He is, in my view, the best example of "Those who fight monsters must take care that they do not become monsters themselves". He's both tragic; but also evocative.

5) Magnus the Red - A man who really only wanted to use his gifts to help the Imperium. Unlike the other traitor primarchs, he never intended to rebel - but instead found himself forced to thanks to the Emperor siccing Russ on him. There's also the whole "Big giant red cyclops" thing, which I must admit, is pretty cool too.

That said, I don't actually dislike any of the primarchs; these 5 are just my favorites.

Col. Dash
09-10-2007, 04:02
AHHHHH everyone keeps talking about how the Night Haunter was batman. NO NO NO He is Colonel Kurtze from Apocolypse Now. Even his death speech was ripped almost straight from the movie. And the book AN was based off of was written long before Batman.
He is still the best because he did stay true to the one concept that made him great, unmerciful justice. Even during the heresy, there was no pride in what he did that he relentlessly showed to others. He had an entire planet without crime to back up his point of view. Dont commit a crime or something reeeally bad will happen to you, dont even think about jaywalking. Something modern day justice systems should take some lessons from.

DantesInferno
09-10-2007, 04:22
AHHHHH everyone keeps talking about how the Night Haunter was batman. NO NO NO He is Colonel Kurtze from Apocolypse Now. Even his death speech was ripped almost straight from the movie. And the book AN was based off of was written long before Batman.
He is still the best because he did stay true to the one concept that made him great, unmerciful justice. Even during the heresy, there was no pride in what he did that he relentlessly showed to others. He had an entire planet without crime to back up his point of view. Dont commit a crime or something reeeally bad will happen to you, dont even think about jaywalking. Something modern day justice systems should take some lessons from.

It doesn't have to be exclusively one source or another, you know. Night Haunter definitely takes elements from Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now (as well as the corresponding character in Heart of Darkness), but that doesn't mean his character doesn't also take inspiration from other fictional vigilantes.

If you want to play a "find the source" with Night Haunter, work out the references behind Konrad, Curze, his homeworld Nostramo and the assassin M'Shen...

Imperialis_Dominatus
09-10-2007, 04:28

Yeah, because there's no way the background could cover multiple themes and evolve over time...

TheMartyr451
09-10-2007, 04:45
My vote goes for Sanguinus.

Cheesolith
09-10-2007, 17:47
1. Russ. Partyyyyyy!
2. Corax. Our local goth primarch needs some love(doesn't have anything to with me playing raven guard, no it realy doesn't. What, still not belive me? does this smiley look dishonest to you :angel:)

No real nr. 3

trigger
09-10-2007, 18:06
has to be russ(it has everthing to do with me being a wolf)

:evilgrin:

Chaplain Dionitas
09-10-2007, 18:10
1). The lion

2). Russ

These two were complete opposites! I like it!

Chilltouch
09-10-2007, 18:49
Elga, the Matriarch of the Soccer-Mums.

Witchfire
09-10-2007, 19:56
dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorndorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn dorn

get the idea?

Meathook
09-10-2007, 21:10
Blood_Red_Sandman, while I do love your name and the Lordi referance (just seem then live a bit back in Ozzy fest in boston), I hate your post (:D)! I do like Dorn as he appeals to the Black Templar in me, I like Angron more, the man was a freekin' space gladiator! He didn't even want to go with the emperor! He was like "nah I just finished diggin' this sweet grave! I might as well fill it." then the emperor was all like "heck no man, beam him up scott!"

Witchfire
09-10-2007, 21:19
Blood_Red_Sandman, while I do love your name and the Lordi referance (just seem then live a bit back in Ozzy fest in boston), I hate your post! I do like Dorn as he appeals to the Black Templar in me, I like Angron more, the man was a freekin' space gladiator! He didn't even want to go with the emperor! He was like "nah I just finished diggin' this sweet grave! I might as well fill it." then the emperor was all like "heck no man, beam him up scott!"

heh heh, being a european we have been lucky enough to keep lordi secret from the rest of the world for years! what? lordi went to the states? wtf?! CRAP!

Dorn rules all and angron is just a temper tantruming 2 year old who turned against his daddy because he yanked him out of the sandpit where he was playing ''blood and murder'' with his psycho-gladiator playmates.

talos935
10-10-2007, 01:34
Anyway, Lion for the win. He was the most tactically minded, and next to Horus he had the most victories, and a lot of the victories that Horus claimed were actually those of other primarchs.

The fact that they were some of the first primarchs found means they had more fights to win. :rolleyes:

Anyway

1] Logar- The most zealous and devout of the primarchs. All the original worlds the Word Bearers conquored were totaly converted to the imperial cause. Shame the emperor scorned him

2] Janghati Khan- Had alot of appeal to me, very firey, very rash and he had an armoured cavalry army!

There isn't a no 3 for me, although i would love to add my beloved Vulkan, he kinda got shafted from the word go and wasn't allowed to play with the big gribbly monsters much :cries:

bena800
10-10-2007, 20:44
rogal dorn for the win come on he is obversly the best even horus respected him also yellow armour looks sexy

GreenDracoBob
10-10-2007, 21:13
Unnamed Legion II Primarch. He was obviously the best, as we haven't heard anything about him (meaning we can infer anything) and he was gone before the Heresy. The brightest stars burn the fastest.

Progena
10-10-2007, 21:21
I finally succumbed to temptation of posting in this thread.

The best Primarch in my mind? Lorgar. Definatly Lorgar.

I've met all types of religious fanatics, fundamentalists and extremists growing up, but Lorgar beats them all in sheer stubborn fanaticism.

stormblade
10-10-2007, 21:44
I finally succumbed to temptation of posting in this thread.

The best Primarch in my mind? Lorgar. Definatly Lorgar.

I've met all types of religious fanatics, fundamentalists and extremists growing up, but Lorgar beats them all in sheer stubborn fanaticism.

Lorgar:He's the messiah!

Big E: I'm not the bloody messiah.

Lorgar: Only a true messiah would deny that he's a messiah.

Big E: Alright I am the messiah.

Lorgar:He's the messiah!

:D

Fr00
10-10-2007, 22:15
For me, Rogal Dorn. No real specific reason other than the fact that he's the primarch of my favorite chapter, the Imperial Fists. Oh, and someone did an awesome rendition of him at GD Chicago (he's under the honorable mentions). And I agree with Blood_Red_Sandman's post.

Kahadras
10-10-2007, 22:32
Perturabo is my favourite, and while he is certainly an expert in siegecraft and vastly superior to Dorn in every way

Apart from trhe fact that he lacked both faith and loyalty (which Dorn possessed in great quantities). At the end of the day I really don't think there is a 'best' primarch. Each had his own strengths and weaknesses.

Kahadras

Hicks
10-10-2007, 23:09
I have to say that I love them all, my DIY chapter even reflect his as they worship all loyal Primarchs equally. IF I have to pick one though I think it would be Sanguinius. My primary source of fluff on Primarch are the HH novels and I can't wait to read more about Sanguinius in those.

Tehkonrad
11-10-2007, 01:44
Mangus FTW knowledge is power n00bs ******* sanguinius

Imperialis_Dominatus
11-10-2007, 09:36
Mangus FTW knowledge is power n00bs ******* sanguinius

Magnus is cool and all but he's slipped in my mind due to your use of the word n00b. Anyone whose fans bastardize the English language doesn't deserve my adulation.

inquitor lord justus
11-10-2007, 09:43
Gulliman was the best primarch, he held the imperium together after the horus heresy!:o

For the Emperor!

Tehkonrad
11-10-2007, 09:49
i was obliged to use n00b as leetspeak is the official language of the internet

The Gothic Me
11-10-2007, 11:32
Fulgrim all the way, he had the most stylish look, one of the best legions (the only one allowed to use the Aquila) and has an impressive Primarch kill count.

eleveninches
11-10-2007, 12:06
From most favourate to least favourate:

1. Sanguinius
2. THe Lion
3. Ferrus MAnnus
4. Fulgrim
5. Russ
6. Horus
7. Magnus
8. Dorn
9. Curze
10. Angron
11. Kahn
12. Guilleman
13. Mortarion
14. Logar
15. Perturabo
16. Alpharius
17. Corax
18. Vulkan

Imperialis_Dominatus
11-10-2007, 12:29
Guess I can do a list too.

Sanguinius: No contest.
Curze: Backstory is incredible, he's a badass. Fight fire with fire.
Lorgar: Favorite of all the Chaos Legions. Like the idea of a fallen fanatic.
Russ: Total badass. Period.
Magnus: Very tragic figure, being censured for trying to warn the Emperor...

El'Johnson: Got the knight thing, great story, lots of controversey.
Khan: Well, he's based off Ghenghis Khan. That's badass in itself.
Horus: Father vs. Son, how classic. Meh in some ways though.
Corax: Wish I knew more, but he's cool anyway.
Vulkan: Again, he's cool, wish I knew more.

Alpharius: Perfectionist, should have had more rep, but a prick.
Ferrus Mannus: What little I know is cool.
Perturabo: Meh, paranoid and vindictive, but good at what he did.
Mortarion: Sentimental old fool. Dedicatetd to a god of disease, w/e.
Fulgrim: Perfectionist, did well as fighter, but Slaanesh isn't my god.

Dorn: Overconfident, yellow armor's not my thing.
Angron: Anger management...
X: Don't know enough to make a judgement, really. Female? ;)
Y: See above.
Guilleman: Bookie, authoritarian over other Chapters, I understand why but...

Odin
11-10-2007, 12:44
Lion el'Jonson has by far the stupidest name of all the Primarchs.

Commisar BoB
11-10-2007, 12:53
Well I for one am torn between The Lion and Dorn.

The Lion for his tactical genius and the fact that I think the Dark Angels are very cool.

Dorn for his loyalty and the fact he did not change his mind about the second founding...he just thought around it.

CommisarMolotov
11-10-2007, 12:57
My personal faves are Guillman and Dorn.

And Odin - I think Roboute Guillman is a MUCH dumber name than Lion el'Johnson.

jhon
12-10-2007, 05:10
can any do a most hate Primarch thread instead ??

my vote is Corax , cos he is a idiot

Imperialis_Dominatus
12-10-2007, 05:13
Yeah, cause that thread would certainly not devolve into flaming and mindless insults... oh wait... it did before it started, look what you did. :p

stormblade
12-10-2007, 06:36
Yeah, cause that thread would certainly not devolve into flaming and mindless insults... oh wait... it did before it started, look what you did. :p

Not to mention that he would be an idiot not a idiot.

By the way Corax is my favorite Primus-arch.

Wolflord Havoc
12-10-2007, 10:27
From all the primarchs [SIZE="3"]Excluding HORUS[SIZE="3"] I think the best was LION el JONSON he was trained by horus and was the first primarch to be found.

You sound like an angry young man PENTOD.

Do I detect the subtle trace's of 'jealousy' that all Dark Angel Chaos Marine.....oh I'm so sorry slip of the tongue you understand....what I meant to say was....that Dark Angel 'Marine' players suffer when comparing their 'Legion' to that of the Space Wolves? :cool:

Its only to be expected.

Don't dwell on it....lest you become bitter and twisted....ahh...I fear I may be too late. :eyebrows:

And Sanguinius was the better 'man' - Horus said so himself.

Zanzibarthefirst
12-10-2007, 11:01
Sangininius
Russ
Horus
Magnus
Fulgrim
Mortarion
Angron
Lion
Ferrus Mannus
Curze
Kahn
Perturabo
Dorn
Logar
Alpharius
Corax
Vulkan
Guilleman

MadDoc
12-10-2007, 11:23
You sound like an angry young man PENTOD.
<SNIP Stereotypical baiting of Dark Angels Plavers by a Space Wolf Player>

And you sound like a typical Space Wolf player, taking the "Low Road" and trying to bait Dark Angels players. :p

Did your last flea collar not work? :p ;)

Now, On Topic - Best is a relative term, and it all really depends on your own personal preferences and knowledge (insight) of (into) the material. Thats one reason I like the new Horus Heresy novels, they're providing new (albeit still limited) insight into the Primarchs and their character allowing for a deeper understanding/appreciation of them (or at least how they've been constructed by GW).

Wolflord Havoc
12-10-2007, 12:30
And you sound like a typical Space Wolf player, taking the "Low Road" and trying to bait Dark Angels players. :p

Guilty as charged. Clue's in the Name 'Wolflord havoc'.

Well speaking of baiting.....if he didn't want to get any flak perhaps he should have not written "AND FORGET SPACE WOLF's We ALL know their primarch is a DEAMON PRINCE".

As baiting goes thats less of a 'wriggling worm on a hook' and rather a big neon sign saying "FREE FENRISIAN XXXXXX ALE HERE, ALL YOU CAN DRINK"

And as for the Flea collar....we don't like to talk about it. :D

eleveninches
12-10-2007, 12:51
Ferrus Mannus is easily the most underrated primarch. He fought the emperor for an entire week (russ lasted only 3 seconds). He was almost automatically chosen to lead 7 legions in confronting horus.

elusiveintrovert
12-10-2007, 21:34
Lion El'Jonson was also NOT the first Primarch found...Hellebore

I haven't read it myself but I've heard that the HH series puts Horus as the first found, but I've read elswhere that Lion was the first. That raises the question of Lion being first being replaced. Is the HH series the only one that Lion wasn't first?

MadDoc
12-10-2007, 21:39
Guilty as charged. Clue's in the Name 'Wolflord havoc'.

:evilgrin: ;)

Well speaking of baiting.....if he didn't want to get any flak perhaps he should have not written "AND FORGET SPACE WOLF's We ALL know their primarch is a DEAMON PRINCE".

I believe that may have been in reference to the earlier "joke" post (stating this) by another Warseer member.

I haven't read it myself but I've heard that the HH series puts Horus as the first found, but I've read elswhere that Lion was the first. That raises the question of Lion being first being replaced. Is the HH series the only one that Lion wasn't first?

No, Horus has been the stated as first found for along time, hence the closeness of his bond to the Emperor, he was found first and so he had longer to get close to him.

Master Syrinx
23-10-2007, 14:34
My favorite has to be Vulkan because he is a blacksmith and he smashes foes with hammers and fire.... i means HAMMERS AND FIRE

Corax is second because he is quite creepy and Night Haunter is 3rd.

DivineVisitor
23-10-2007, 15:02
Ferrus Mannus is easily the most underrated primarch. He fought the emperor for an entire week (russ lasted only 3 seconds). He was almost automatically chosen to lead 7 legions in confronting horus.

"Leman Russ, not recognizing the Emperor due to runes of concealment, boasted that he was far greater than any man, proceeding to win his first two contests (an eating and a drinking competition) by consuming three whole aurochs, then draining the royal cellars dry. Disappointed, the Emperor derided Leman Russ, calling him nothing more than a drunkard and glutton. Insulted, Leman Russ then challenged the Emperor to a fight.

After a ferocious duel in which neither warrior had the upper hand, the Emperor became convinced that Leman Russ was indeed one of his children. The Emperor took off his cloak of deception and showed the room his glory. Struck by the Emperor's immense power, none could look upon him, save Leman. So the duel continued; however, even with Leman's superior strength and speed he could not best the true might of the Emperor. After many long hours of fighting, the Emperor found a gap within Leman's defenses and with a crackle of his powerfist hit Leman square in the face, knocking him out with a single blow that would have killed a lesser man. After coming to consciousness with an incredible headache (which he blamed upon the alcohol), Russ admitted defeat and swore fealty to the Emperor."

He still defeated the Emperor in 2/3 contests :P
Also on note what was Russ using as a weapon? A rusty sword? Bare hands? Against the Emperor in likely a suit of specalised Terminator Armour and a power fist hehe.

Gdolkin
23-10-2007, 15:15
YES! Manus is my favourite, Russ was for a long time but since IA:IH the Iron Man is in my view the 'ardest.. (Russ lasted long enough to eat all the meat and drink all the booze and get twatted in the face, but Manus and the Emperor's struggle cracked the mountains and the skies..) Saying that, he also has the stupidest name.. It's like calling Rogal Dorn 'Imperius Pugnacious' or Konrad Curze 'Noctus Dominus' or whatever (i realize i'm pretty much making up these Latin/Gothic 'translations'.. what's latin for 'White Scar'?) Hmm.. were the Primarchs given their names by the Emperor or by the cultures that raised them? Did Ferrus walk down from Karaashi the Ice Pinnacle (fully grown, i might add, he raised himself in the icy mountains just as Jonson did in the beast-haunted forests, that's another reason he's the 'ardest) KNOWING he was called Ferrus Manus? Lion el Jonson was named such by the Order of Caliban that found him, no? Night Haunter crawled out of the ground and lived feral until he went Batman, who named him Konrad Curze before he named himself Night Haunter? Was Mortarion named that by the daemonic overlord of Barbarus that adopted him? Leman was named that by his adoptive father, Thengir, King of the Tribes of the Russ.. Jaghatai Khan is a name indigenous to Chogoris.. Forgive my presumption, but have i just given this thread a point for genuine discussion..? Surely Ferrus Manus might have been given a Medusan name, which given the names of the IH Clan-Companies (Vurgaan, Sorrgol, Raukaan, Kaargul etc.) would not have been standard Imperial High Gothic for 'Iron Hand'..?

Inquisitor Thantos
23-10-2007, 15:16
Off the record...
Depending on which legion you belong to....you think your primarch rules.
However, even a venerable Luna Wolf had to agree that the Wolves of Fenris were the greatest of all the legions, because they were clinically insane. And seriously, I'm not sure what an auroch is, but Primarch Russ was able to drain the royal cellars dry...considering these guys are a bunch of drunkards, these ROYAL cellars must be MASSIVE, and for somebody to 'drain them dry'....well you have your answer.

However, I have to go on record by saying that my top three primarchs, not in any particular order,

Magnus
Dorn
Horus

The reasons for choosing these three have been made clear by others so I won't spell out reasons..however...each one of these primarchs portray a MAJOR strength and a MAJOR weakness, each of which contributed to the Hersey, in this way, they are all tragic heroes!

Dicey
23-10-2007, 15:20
Horus was the best primarch as he was chosen to lead the imperiums forces in the emporers place. He just got a bit greedy

Witchfire
23-10-2007, 15:26
Horus was the best primarch as he was chosen to lead the imperiums forces in the emporers place. He just got a bit greedy

just because he was the emperor's favorite does not make him the greatest except in the eyes of the emperor

Luthien
23-10-2007, 16:25
Sanguinius or Fulgrim, both were kick ass :D

Pooky
24-10-2007, 02:46
I love the way people say "Sanguinous was the best!" He was torn a new a$$ by Horus and Horus didn't even break a sweat.

And for the record, I have to say Dorn was the man. Mainly because post heresy he didn't want to break up his legion because some other clown thought he should. He even was the "bigger man" about it when the Ultra-clowns warmed up their weapons while pointed at the Impy Fists. He swalloed his pride and didn't want his men harmed over differing opinions. This shows Dorn was humble and respectful. Something that other primarchs seem to lack.

Imperialis_Dominatus
24-10-2007, 03:42
I love the way people say "Sanguinous was the best!" He was torn a new a$$ by Horus and Horus didn't even break a sweat.

Given that Horus was bloated with the power of the Chaos Gods in addition to being a Primarch of great power and skill even among his brothers even before he fell, I doubt this is really a fair statement. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Not to mention how Horus was fresh and at the very apex of his powers, while Sanguinius was exhausted by three days of non-stop fighting, and just off a battle against the cheif bloodthirster.

And what he said too.

/EDIT

But what the hell do I know. I'm old and senile (at eighteen! How tragic), and some insane corner of my mind remembers a time when that battle between them was somewhat more substantial, at least in description. Horus still whooped his ass, but it wasn't like Aragorn vs. Joe Orc. But whatever. I'm a Sang fanboi. :p

Tanith Ghost
24-10-2007, 03:49
Not to mention how Horus was fresh and at the very apex of his powers, while Sanguinius was exhausted by three days of non-stop fighting, and just off a battle against the cheif bloodthirster.

It was not the fight result that made Sanguinus such a hero.
He knew that if he honored his oaths and did his duty he would die by the hand of Horus. And he wilingly did his duty to humanity anyway. Only the purest and most unblemished of souls could ever do such a thing. It's one thing to risk death, but
it is another a alltogether more heroic thing to go to battle when you know for a fact that you will die, and you must do so if your side is to win.

TheOverlord
24-10-2007, 10:49
Perturabo. Simply because he sacrificed half a legion's worth of marines, YELLOW marines at that, to attain Daemonhood through deceit and sheer nastiness :D Take THAT Dorn!

Alpharius. He was a space pirate! Do I need to say more?

I love Horus, but as the OP said no Horus, I declined to state him as a candidate.

MutantMaggot
24-10-2007, 12:20
I'd say ... well ... it's obvious ... either Corax or ... no ... can't be ...

Well, yep. Corax is my favourite, but the best is blatently LORGAR ... true disciple if the Emperor ... or perhaps HORUS, though, then again, yep. It's obvious ... FULGRIM. Yep, Fulgrim.

Mind you, the best Prime arch? Well, the romans did pretty good ones, but they tended to feel like they haunted the night. Greeks were also good ... they put letters on them ... though that one with 'Alpharius' on always puzzled me. I mean, it's practically Arius -- what's the sense in that? But celts ... nah. Persians ... nah. They never calculated the angles right -- did you know one was called the 'blood angle' due to the terrible thirst for redness in its colour? Anyway, I'd say Roman. Yep.

Sajuuk
25-10-2007, 11:23
SPOILER WARNING!

I find Sanguinius to be the best of the best of the best... ;) Why? Despite of his sacrifice, angelic appearance, farseeing and combat abilities, in 'False Gods' (2nd HH book) Horus said there was only one Primarch that should be the Warmaster - Sanguinius. Even Horus was wondering what will he be doing after the Great Crusade end. They were dedicated for war, Sanguinius for peace.

chris.seraphim
25-10-2007, 12:26
'best' primarch is a bit of a lame conversation, 'cause they are ALL written to appeal to a certain type of person, so it's very much a horses for courses argument.

and what makes you the 'best' primarch?
best tactics
best one on one fighter
most human
best intentions
most likely to go on a homicdial rampage at the drop of a hat
most beautiful
best artisan
most likely to become a pop star?

Again, it all comes down to personal taste.

I'm a big fan of Sanguinius (angel, tragically noble, self sacrifice, takes down a bloodthirster with his BARE FISTS - hence hard as nails),
Russ (hard as nails, has two huge wolfs for pets, likes a drink, then a brawl, then a drink, quick to anger, and wuick to mirth)
Corax (great battle tactics, crow imagery, cool coour scheme, guilt after the heresy)
Alpharius (even better battle tactics, little brother syndrome, and for NOT REALLY being a fallen Primarch IMO)

Where I've never really been a fan of Horus (too easy), Guilliman or Dorn (Starch arses!) or most of the traitor primarchs, as until recently they have been very under-written. Hopefully that will change as more HH books are written.

But whatever my personal tastes, I accept that there is no 'best' primarch, I just like who I like....

Lord Silvarius
25-10-2007, 12:40
the only good primarchs are the ones tht didn't die or go in to hiding over the past 1000 yrs hint hint nudge nudge the daemon prince primachs

Muttly
25-10-2007, 18:51
the only good primarchs are the ones tht didn't die or go in to hiding over the past 1000 yrs hint hint nudge nudge the daemon prince primachs

The only great primarchs are the ones who didn't cop out and take the cowards route to power *cough* demon princes!, those who got on with the skills they where given and used them without whining about their lot.

And top of that heap are those who met their assigned fates still wholly adamant in their own beliefs

Sanguinius
Konrad Curze
Alpharius

Russ, Dorn and Ferrus all gain an honorable mention for kickin a:evilgrin:ss and takin names

jb85
25-10-2007, 19:19
SPOILER WARNING!

I find Sanguinius to be the best of the best of the best... ;) Why? Despite of his sacrifice, angelic appearance, farseeing and combat abilities, in 'False Gods' (2nd HH book) Horus said there was only one Primarch that should be the Warmaster - Sanguinius. Even Horus was wondering what will he be doing after the Great Crusade end. They were dedicated for war, Sanguinius for peace.

I have to agree with that. I've always wondered if the appointment of Horus to Warmaster was made for the right reasons. As a military leader there is little question that he was the right choice but was a great warrior what the fledgling Imperium needed at that point? Given the momentum the Imperial war machine had gathered, the lack of serious opponents and the plethora of excellent commanders in its rank was someone like Horus really required to keep the Crusade going? I believe the Imperium may have been better served with a leader who could consolidate its holdings and begin to prepare the Legions for life after the fighting was over, someone like Sanguinus perhaps.