PDA

View Full Version : BL repeats?

Warp_touched
09-10-2007, 04:03
If you haven't read Dark Apostle or Storm of Iron, please GTFO as this might contain spoilers.

Have you noticed Black Library repeats?

I just picked up a copy of Dark Apostle and am halfways through and have noticed massive amounts of almost rip off materials from Storm of Iron.

I.E
Rivalry between 2 warlords, Honsou and Forrix. Mardok and Kol Badar, coincedentally both wear terminator armor, and both have intense rivalry to a point of striking each other down.

The prisoner being turned daemonic, I can't recall the chicks name, Ulana something, and Varnus, both turn daemonic.

The mass amounts of pointless slaughter. Now at least in Storm of Iron there was tactical sense and actual good accounts of fighting, not just sending wave after wave of guardsman at Astartes. Or marching Skitarii up a slope to be massacured by Terminators.

In all, hissing in anger is used WAY to much and terms are used over and over ( I'm looking at you William King...)

Am I crazy, or does anyone else see some resemblances?

Ktotwf
09-10-2007, 04:05
Honestly, there are only so many plots that BL is willing to do.

40k is a universe that has so much fictional potential, but BL restricts itself to Imperium and Chaos.

Marstfu
09-10-2007, 09:56
Honsou wore Power Armor.
So.. What has that got to do with anything?

I have not read Dark Apostle, but did the prisoner there turn daemonic by putting on the Armor of Khorne?

And as you say, the accounts of fighting and the tactical sense behind it were different. Ah well.

Don't forget SoI also had those crazy AdMech characters. I loved those.

Progena
09-10-2007, 12:51
Yeah I noticed this too. Although you missed the most obvious point.

Both novels had Imperator Titans (Traitor in SoI and loyalist in DA), who are insanely rare (to the point of viritual non-existance) and who both got wreched by the enemy.

Also, these two books are pretty much the only BL novels where Chaos wins, and both main characters in both books end up as sole leaders of the warband.

I see this as intentional, there is no way this can be a coincidence.

Tzen
09-10-2007, 14:21
Everyone knows BL have a strict forumla for their stories. :P

You paying your money for different cover art.

Kegluneq
09-10-2007, 17:55
Honsou wore Power Armor.
So.. What has that got to do with anything?
He wore Terminator armour, which made it rather amusing in the opening sections where he's described as 'crawling'. Um, yeah.

I'm fairly sure the Titan in Storm of Iron was just a Warlord; I'm pretty certain it was described as such in the HH books.

Chaplain Dionitas
09-10-2007, 18:06
From what I'm hearing Hammer of Daemons sounds like Warrior Coven

Progena
09-10-2007, 18:24
He wore Terminator armour, which made it rather amusing in the opening sections where he's described as 'crawling'. Um, yeah.

I'm fairly sure the Titan in Storm of Iron was just a Warlord; I'm pretty certain it was described as such in the HH books.

Only Forrix and his first grand company wore Terminator Armour. Honsou wore Power Armour and he killed the first guards with his Bolt Pistol.

...Honsou was a giant of a warrior. He was clad in Power Armour the color of burnished iron...

The Dies Irae took out several Warlord class Titans. Princeps Fierarch wouldn't have risked so much to destroy it if it wasn't an Imperator. I too got the impression from the HH books that the Dies Irae was smaller Titan though.

The first war machine, once an Emperor-class Titan in the service of the corpse-god, now known and feared as the Dies Irae, took a ponderous step foreward...

Note that my copy is the reprint from '07, actual pages might vary.

dram
09-10-2007, 18:52
Is there a reason why BL limits itself in the type of stories, they are willing to let authors write?

Damien 1427
09-10-2007, 19:36
Is there a reason why BL limits itself in the type of stories, they are willing to let authors write?

They sell. However, I imagine authors like Abnett are allowed a lot more wiggle-room because they know they'll sell on the strength of his name. If he pitched a novel of political intruige in the AdMech, they'd let him do it. If a brand new author suggested similar, they probably wouldn't.

Frankly, a love story on an agri-world isn't likely to appeal to the market (Adolescent males) as much as another Evil Marines are Evil book.

And as much as I want an Ork book from their perspective, it won't happen. For the first, it won't shift as much as Captain Generic of the Placeholder Marines. For the second, it could either be amazingly good or utterly terrible because there's a way to write orks I feel was captured in the comic strip Deff Skwadron, and it's easy to miss that mark either way.
Finally? Doing aliens is easy to cock up. Because apparently they don't asign capable authors of them, like giving CS Goto the Eldar books. Though one could perhaps argue if Gav was doing them they'd be a shade more tolerable.

I didn't see the link between the two (Despite reading them back to back a few days ago), but now you bring it up you could make an argument for it. However, I'd put that down to coincedence rather than blatant idea-theft.

Wouldn't mind seeing Honsou give Marduk a kicking though.

Warp_touched
09-10-2007, 20:50
Marstfu, my bad. Marduk and Honsou both wear power armor, and Kol Badar/ Forrix wear Terminator armor.

Yes the Imperator titan is just reatarted. Granted, it swings between powers in the books (I.E Imperial/ Chaos) but the author only describes 3 weapons in Dark Apostle. Plasma annhilator, hellstorm and battle cannons. He mentions 'Battle cannons' probably 15-20 times when describing the weaponry (no joke) and the titan is unable to wipe out a formation of Word Bearers.:mad:

All in all, what I've read so far is just plain stupid.

Its almost a blatent rip off of Storm of Iron, with less detail and action, much stupidity and very little storyline so far to back it up.

Definatly not worth your money if you ask me.