PDA

View Full Version : How does each primarch look?

Devil-Tears
09-10-2007, 05:31
I got intrigued by the Night Haunter thread. I haven't read too many of the HH books, so I just wanted to know how each primarch dressed. And yes, I'm asking about Pre-daemonhood for the traitor legions, so no describing as "daemon prince." :p

CrewDog
09-10-2007, 05:33
General uniform looks, wargear?

They dressed in their legions colors, with a bit o bling due thier position.

Nazguire
09-10-2007, 08:03
I got intrigued by the Night Haunter thread. I haven't read too many of the HH books, so I just wanted to know how each primarch dressed. And yes, I'm asking about Pre-daemonhood for the traitor legions, so no describing as "daemon prince." :p

Most of them (read: Most <- ) dressed in flashy bling bling armour. Horus Pre Heresy was prone to a stupendously extravagant suit of sea gold armour, with a crown of green laurels and a fur cloak (being Warmaster and all)
Dorn wore in contrast to his position as 'loyalist Warmaster' as dark gold and black suit of armour, with an obsidian clenched fist on his armour.

Pretty much just bling bling until you get to the more 'interesting' Primarchs in terms of personality.

For example, Angron wore a suit of archaic looking gladiator armour (read; not much armour at all) whilst we're tempted to believe that Night Haunter didn't wear much at all. Mortarion wore armour that looked like sheath bronze, and a cloak (fitting his 'Death Lord' sobriquet).

Magnus wore armour that had a lot of occult symbols and imagery, while Leman Russ looked like a Space Viking, complete with wolf furs, wolf teeth necklace and long mangy hair.

Sideros Peltarion
09-10-2007, 08:17
Thats not always true. Magnus the Red is supposed to have worn blue robes, whereas his Legion had red armour.

Noceo
09-10-2007, 08:26
Lorgar wore a hairshirt robes for a period of time after the Emperor belittled him about not there slow progress during the Great Crusade. Other then that I have no idea what he wore.

Tehkonrad
09-10-2007, 09:01
probably pope vestments with a power armoured pope hat

Nazguire
09-10-2007, 12:25
Lorgar wore a hairshirt robes for a period of time after the Emperor belittled him about not there slow progress during the Great Crusade. Other then that I have no idea what he wore.

Well given that the religious fervour of the Imperium appears to at least begun with him (Promulgating his religion on conquered worlds) and we all know how extreme the righteous get in 40k, I'd expect black (Chaplains began with him, black being 'The Emperor's colour') and a heap of flame, lantern and winged skull motifs. Penchants, pendants and scrolls a plenty.

Or we can go the complete opposite direction and more of a simple prophet attire like Jesus or Mohammad. Simple robe or tunic, long unkempt hair and beard, sandals, the lot. I believe he would have started simple and become more zealous and extreme as time wore on, as did the Word Bearers (Hence the censure from the Emperor)

Progena
09-10-2007, 14:37
Well given that the religious fervour of the Imperium appears to at least begun with him (Promulgating his religion on conquered worlds) and we all know how extreme the righteous get in 40k, I'd expect black (Chaplains began with him, black being 'The Emperor's colour') and a heap of flame, lantern and winged skull motifs. Penchants, pendants and scrolls a plenty.

There's a small piece of art of him in HH Visions, post-corruption. He wears red armour with dark metal trim. He also has a 'crown' of four prominent horns.

Lorgar as Daemon Prince: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Image:Lorgar.jpg

Just find the 'Primarch' article in Lexicanum. Lots of artwork connected to the different Primarchs' articles.

heretics bane
09-10-2007, 16:40
I think Sanguis wore golden armour(judgeing fomr hims body lying on the floor during horus and the emporers fight)

Fulgrim's was said to have looked like a costume more than actual armour becuase he pimped it out so much

On the pic on lexicanum Magnus is seen wearing like a dark snot green coloured armour with two horns sticking out of the chest plate with a black eye in the center

Cheesolith
09-10-2007, 16:48
From descriptions in novels/codex etc.
Emperor wears gold.
Horus wears gold.
Sanguinus wears gold.
Dorn wears gold.
Fulgrim wears gold.(no longer official, needs check)
Lorgar wears gold.(no longer official, needs check)
Khan wears gold.(no longer official, needs check)

Perhaps it would be logical to assume that unless noted otherwise, all primarchs wear extravagant pee colored armor?

And Corax has a jetpack, we know that for sure as well.

Sideros Peltarion
09-10-2007, 17:24
Oh and Night Haunter wore a cloak of black feathers and the Corona Nox (an adamantium crown with horns and shizz that he made)

Devil-Tears
10-10-2007, 23:44
Thanks for the replies!
The imperium has a large obsession with gold doesn't it?

Nazguire
11-10-2007, 00:26
I think Sanguis wore golden armour(judgeing fomr hims body lying on the floor during horus and the emporers fight)

Fulgrim's was said to have looked like a costume more than actual armour becuase he pimped it out so much

On the pic on lexicanum Magnus is seen wearing like a dark snot green coloured armour with two horns sticking out of the chest plate with a black eye in the center

Fulgrim originally wore amethyst coloured armour with gold trims, a large sweeping eagle wing on his shoulder plate and a winged helmet. It was ornate yes, but not excessive.

As he became corrupted he began to embellish his armour and add paints and powders to his face. That was when his armour began to be garish and not elegant.

Tehkonrad
11-10-2007, 01:33
every one loves gold shiny shiny gold

Witchfire
11-10-2007, 16:35
angron wore gold armour too- not gladiator armour

Marinox
11-10-2007, 17:51
i like to think of them in tuxedo T-shirts.

as if to say: "i'm here to take care of business, but i like to party too..."

Witchfire
11-10-2007, 20:19
how do the primarchs look?

with eyes i assume.

( sorry- i couldnt resist :p )

Kage2020
11-10-2007, 22:28
how do the primarchs look?

with eyes i assume.

( sorry- i couldnt resist :p )
Darn, I was going to add this quip. On the bright side mine was going to be slightly modified, e.g. "With his eyes - or in at least one case, eye - would would imagine." :D

Kage

Witchfire
11-10-2007, 22:40
Darn, I was going to add this quip. On the bright side mine was going to be slightly modified, e.g. "With his eyes - or in at least one case, eye - would would imagine." :D

Kage

gutted :D the one eye referring to magnus i assume

Nazguire
12-10-2007, 00:48
angron wore gold armour too- not gladiator armour

Read Galaxy in Flames. He wears an ancient suit of gladiator armour.

trigger
12-10-2007, 00:59
big and scary.:eek:

Alessander
12-10-2007, 01:03
The Black Library's Horus Heresy artbooks (based on the HH collectable card game) has illustrations of all the primarchs. Some are from John Blanche's sketches, so are a little hard to decipher, but they are all there.

Artbook comes in 3 volumes, or in a omnibus called "collected visions".

There is a Leman Russ model from GW's early days. GW's kept the mold in good shape and you can still order it.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060101294&orignav=9

Ironically, Russ in both the model and Illustrations never seems to have any facial hair...

Models for DaemonPrimarch forms of Angron, Fulgrim, Mortarion and Magnus appeared in Epic. Search here http://www.galactic-intrigue.com/epicollector/Pages/2-Catalog/Catalog-Overview-Frames.html

WD had a contest to send them detailed instructions to convert any model, someone sent in instructions to convert a WH Mangicore into Magnus (based off the Epic model) that came out pretty cool. Anyone got a scan?

Imperialis_Dominatus
12-10-2007, 02:08
There are some models made of the Primarchs in various GD. Look on GW's US site for more. They're pretty sweet!

Phoenix Blaze
12-10-2007, 11:52
The HH art books have pictures of near enough all of the Primarchs and for the most part I agree with what the artists have them wearing.

generally it's a suit of gold battle plate (so, some extremely well made artificer armour).

But, I prefer the idea of Primarch's wearing their legion's colours, with some added bling of course, rather than just a suit of gold armour. With that we have the Emperor being the only one going around in all Gold, and it makes him seem all the more regal.

Progena
12-10-2007, 17:01
The Black Library's Horus Heresy artbooks (based on the HH collectable card game) has illustrations of all the primarchs. Some are from John Blanche's sketches, so are a little hard to decipher, but they are all there.

Corax? Vulkan? Alpharius? There's no pre-daemonhood picture of Lorgar either.

MadDoc
12-10-2007, 21:34
Corax?

No, at least I can't find one of him in my copies.

Vulkan?

Can't find one of him either...

Alpharius?

He is in the fourth book Visions of Death (at least).

There's no pre-daemonhood picture of Lorgar either.

True. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how he is described in the Horus Heresy novels when he pops up properly.

Progena
12-10-2007, 23:00
He is in the fourth book Visions of Death (at least).

He is? How could I have missed that... *checks*... I think you're gonna have to give me the page number 'cause I can't find him. Sure you're not referring to Perturabo on p. 330? There's only one Alpha Legion card in Visions IV and that's just an infantry squad called Hydra's eye. :(

Nazguire
13-10-2007, 01:11
What does Alpharius look like? I know that he has bright green eyes of course, but other then that, no idea.

MadDoc
13-10-2007, 08:01
He is? How could I have missed that...

Yes, he is. As to how you could've missed it, I wouldn't dare to hazard a guess... :angel:

*checks*... I think you're gonna have to give me the page number 'cause I can't find him.

The Horus Heresy Vol. IV: Visions of Death, Page "Eighty-Three", 1st Column, 4th row. It's by John Blanche, and perhaps its alittle on the smallish side but it is there. Not sure if he is in Collected Visions, which is clearly what you're refering to (based on your reference to p. 330 below).

Sure you're not referring to Perturabo on p. 330?

Quite sure, an angry looking man in Terminator armour carrying a Thunder hammer/Siege hammer (Forgebreaker) is pretty distinctive. Do you have Visons of Death or just Collected Visons?

There's only one Alpha Legion card in Visions IV and that's just an infantry squad called Hydra's eye. :(

Perhaps you should take another look at your book (though might not be in Collected Visions). ;) I've got mine sitting in front of me now (had to find the exact page number for Alpharius) and there is more than just that.

What does Alpharius look like? I know that he has bright green eyes of course, but other then that, no idea.

See above, The Horus Heresy Vol. IV: Visions of Death, p. 83, 1st column, 4th row. A little on the small side perhaps but you might be able to find a bigger version online. Try searching Alpharius and John Blanche together, you never know, you might get lucky.

Progena
13-10-2007, 17:07
The Horus Heresy Vol. IV: Visions of Death, Page "Eighty-Three", 1st Column, 4th row. It's by John Blanche, and perhaps its alittle on the smallish side but it is there. Not sure if he is in Collected Visions, which is clearly what you're refering to (based on your reference to p. 330 below).

Man, I'm an idiot. Didn't occur to me that I should check the Card lists (didn't even occur to me that they were part of Visions IV). HH Collected Visions p. 401, first column, fourth row. Impossible to make out anything on the image, but if you run 'alpharius' on Google Image Search a slightly larger one pops up on the first page.

Did Blanche do scetches for all the Primarchs? I don't know what year he did them, but I think some of the Legions lacked sufficient background up to a certain point.