PDA

View Full Version : How long until the Eldar are extinct?

Ktotwf
10-10-2007, 01:24
They seem to be heading there extremely slowly. Maybe the Tyranids will finally get them.

elvinltl
10-10-2007, 01:34
Long way to go considering they can predict the future to a certain extend... I mean even they forseen the destruction of the galaxy, they could very well manipulate the Monkeighs or even their Ancient enemies Necrons the fight Tyranids and reamin the last race to mop up the mess. :)

Imperialis_Dominatus
10-10-2007, 02:01
Never. As long as there's a Falcon there will be Eldar you can't kill.

Just kidding, don't flame.

No really. They stand a chance of being around for a long time. And even when they die their Death-god will kill Slaanesh and generally whup on some ass. Who knows, could lead to reincarnation.

Hellebore
10-10-2007, 02:03
So long as the webway is around they will survive. Without it though they will be severely curtailed in their movements, and so couldn't flee.

Hellebore

mistformsquirrel
10-10-2007, 02:10
Well, the thing I've always noticed, is that while they may be a "dying" race - that doesn't mean they're dying *fast*.

For all we really know, it may be a matter of having just a couple fewer births than deaths each year, which would mean while technically dying... they'd be dying VERY slowly.

There's also the fact that the Eldar seem to only get involved when its either of dire importance, or they think they can win with minimal casualties. So they aren't suffering (often) the massive loss of life the other races do. The exceptions of course are things like Iyanden; but the incidents of entire craftworlds nearly dying are probably fewer thank the fingers on one hand.

Then there's of course the cynical answer:

They won't die until they stop selling. Which is essentially true of any army I suspect. If no one bought Marines, there'd likely not be any more Marines after awhile; they'd be rewritten a couple times, and if that didn't work, would eventually be written into the background, or 'squats'. The same would be true of the Eldar.

carlisimo
10-10-2007, 03:08
Tens of thousands of years at worst.

If you want to look at legends though, there's the one that says when the last Eldar is dead, Ynnead will be born and will take on the Chaos gods (or at least the Great Enemy).

The other one (written before any mention of Ynnead was made) is that the Phoenix Lords will die in the Rhana Dandra, the Last battle which will see the end of the universe and the Warp, if I remember right.

Kage2020
10-10-2007, 03:51
As long as the next time that GW wishes to shake things up?

;)

Kage

Invader Nails
10-10-2007, 05:55
Looking at it from a purely fluff perspective, I'd say either in then next 10,000 years while all the craziness of the current epoch is going down, or not at all.

elvinltl
10-10-2007, 06:14
Remember that their lifespan is also MUCH MUCH longer then Monkeighs...

Ktotwf
10-10-2007, 06:46
Remember that their lifespan is also MUCH MUCH longer then Monkeighs...

Which makes their death just that much more tragic.

mistformsquirrel
10-10-2007, 07:19
Which makes their death just that much more satisfying.

This message has been amended by order of His Glorious Inquisition =I=

- Thought for the day: Have Faith in Suspicion.

Ktotwf
10-10-2007, 07:56
Mistformsquirrel FTW.

Imperialis_Dominatus
10-10-2007, 09:38
Indeed. All hail the Squirrel!

The pestilent 1
10-10-2007, 09:43
You know, when they say they are a dying race I think they've been reading up on entropy and are a bit sad that the Universe is dying...

In about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Years.

Adra
10-10-2007, 12:00
Remember not all Eldar think they are doomed, some belive they will rise again. Its all about that GW perspective junk again.

The eldar are the old japanese man in a martial arts film of 40k. Looks weak and frail but mess with him in the tea house and he will kick ur ass. Your only advantage is that he will die of old age before you. :)

Nargus
10-10-2007, 12:04
I personally think the idea of dressing up in little tyranid hats and tricking the Necrons into attacking the Tyranids would be a genius idea.

Failing that, i think its all a marketing ploy to make us feel sorry for them..if they were that worried about their population level, they would have retreated into the webway and started going at it like rabbits.

Progena
10-10-2007, 12:24
Actually the Eldars numbers seem to be growing rapidly rather than dying out. Hell, they just got boosted with five new official Craftworlds this edition.

Nargus
10-10-2007, 12:44
Exactly, you get 2/3 of your race devoured by a Chaos God that YOU created and all they can do is whinge about it.

Now us Dark Angels lost half our Chapter to Chaos and all we can do is..err...look at that! The Emperor!!

*sound of running away*

pookie
10-10-2007, 12:45
How does a week next tuesday sound :evilgrin:

seriously doubt that it would happen any time soon, considering how long they have been around for and the things they have survived, id even go as far as saying they would out live humanity.

LexxBomb
10-10-2007, 15:06
the Eldar will become extinct at the Randra Dandra (or what ever its called) the end war against chaos - so the same time as us.

Terrordar
10-10-2007, 15:59
"We're a dying race, but we're dying the same time as everyone else! Damn it, thats not fair! :("

The Guy
10-10-2007, 20:03
As soon as Chuck Norris builds a time machine to the 40k universe! :D
lol and yes mistformsquirrel ftw!

Chilltouch
10-10-2007, 20:27
When gaunts fly.

Kymar
10-10-2007, 20:29
the Eldar will become extinct at the Randra Dandra (or what ever its called) the end war against chaos - so the same time as us.

I was just thinking about that, because under Fuegan's fluff for the Phoenix Lords, its described that they will all meet for the final battle (Rhana Dandra; you were close enough)

That which I can see happening with nearly every Eldar battle that is played for Apocalypse.

So a week next Tuesday is sounding pretty accurate. :p

PS- One good thing from all this webmania is that I can now finally spell apocalypse correctly from memory. :D

Fr00
10-10-2007, 22:20
The Eldar probably won't go extinct for a while, even though there are so few of them, because they have superior technology. However, when they die (ALL of them), Y'nnead (God of the Dead, possibly the Emperor (yes THAT emperor)) will wake up and kill Slaanesh.

~Fr00:chrome:

Col. Dash
10-10-2007, 22:32
Not soon enough?

trigger
10-10-2007, 23:14
at the same time as the rest of the universe

so the story goes

trigger
10-10-2007, 23:16
but then again in the codex , when the last pointy ear dies one of there gods will be re born :wtf:
so in that sense never

[SD] Bob Plisskin
11-10-2007, 00:35
Never. As long as there's a Falcon there will be Eldar you can't kill.

spreading your lies around everywhere I see!!! :p

I don't think that the Eldar would ever become extinct, near the end they would all just go on the path of the parent or whatever. I believe the only way the could is through some sort of cataclysmic event but that could be avoided by the seers.

I have a theory seers orchestrated the Horus Heresy to avoid some mass disaster and Eldrad was against it hence why he tried to warn the Emporer, but in the end what are a billion humans against even one eldar life?

Tehkonrad
11-10-2007, 01:22
when the harlequins poison the water supply :D
or at the Rhana Dandra which will NEVER happen same with the ragnarork and vulkan/russ/corax returning
its just a myth a myth in the same vein as black templars are awesome and eldar fanbois are uncompetitive

codicium_aeternum
11-10-2007, 02:29
The Eldar probably won't go extinct for a while, even though there are so few of them, because they have superior technology. However, when they die (ALL of them), Y'nnead (God of the Dead, possibly the Emperor (yes THAT emperor)) will wake up and kill Slaanesh.

~Fr00:chrome:

scout: sooo... alls we has to do right, is to kill every one of those eldar xeno scum and the emperor wakes up...

sargeant: uh huh... and why would he suddenly "wake up" you expecting a prize or something?

scout: no i was reading this stuff about the eldar legends of y'nnead and... sargeant, why are you looking at me like that... who are you voxing?

*two weeks later

inquisitor: so your colluding with the xenos now eh?

scout: um... but this here says that y'nnead is the death god of the eldar and that hes the emperor and...

inquisitor: the emperor is the god of mankind heretic, not your xeno masters KABOOM

so basically... the SM wont help the emperor out of blindness... even though the pamphlet said astornomican publishing on the back (after all, he guides us all) but that would be cool eh... the SM going all out on the eldar to bring about the end of days and the return of the big E

Gnr Rear
11-10-2007, 21:55
Sooner the better.

Imperialis_Dominatus
11-10-2007, 22:23
Sooner the better.

Welcome to Warseer. Good idea! :evilgrin:

Gnr Rear
11-10-2007, 22:57
Thank you. Glad to be here

Kage2020
11-10-2007, 23:34
With regards to the death of the Eldar at Rhana Dhandra? There are ways around this. Remember, it's prophecy, with all that word implies. Check out Nostradamus for those that need a bigger hint... ;)

Kage

stormblade
12-10-2007, 08:41
Bob Plisskin;1993256']

I have a theory seers orchestrated the Horus Heresy to avoid some mass disaster and Eldrad was against it hence why he tried to warn the Emporer, but in the end what are a billion humans against even one eldar life?

- A whole lot of dice casts I guess.

:cool:

Tarquinn
12-10-2007, 11:11
With regards to the death of the Eldar at Rhana Dhandra? There are ways around this. Remember, it's prophecy, with all that word implies. Check out Nostradamus for those that need a bigger hint... ;)

Kage

(Un)fortunately prophets and prophecies in the 40k-universe seem to have a much higher success-rate than Nostradamus. :p

Progena
12-10-2007, 16:53
"We're a dying race, but we're dying the same time as everyone else! Damn it, thats not fair! :("

Right, since when did Eldar care about fairness when it comes to other races? I think they'd rather take sadistic pleasure from the fact. :eyebrows:

Blarp
12-10-2007, 16:56
When GW stops rakin' in the dough on them :p

Captain Micha
12-10-2007, 17:16
When the space marines find out about the Emperor's half eldar son *L*

stormblade
12-10-2007, 17:44
When the space marines find out about the Emperor's half eldar son *L*

- It's Sanguinis right- he always seemed a bit too girly to me anyway:evilgrin:

Kage2020
12-10-2007, 22:06
(Un)fortunately prophets and prophecies in the 40k-universe seem to have a much higher success-rate than Nostradamus. :p
Of course, that gets into the rocky ground of whether prophecy and precognition are at all the same. That creates a great deal of latitude since Farseers (etc.) are not actually prophets.

With that said, it also depends on how much you believe. If you're (the generic you, not you specifically Tarquinn) the kind of person that takes the Eldar Mythological Cycles at face value, or believe that the thrice-damned tablet from Xenology accurately records past and present? Well, chances are that the Eldar will have to die out. On the other hand, if you like a bit more wiggle space in your interpretation? Well, the wiggle is there. :D

Kage

Progena
12-10-2007, 23:08
When the Eldar will die out? Unfortunatly we'll never know, because according to the ancient Mayas, our world will end on December 21. 2012. :rolleyes:

Hive Mind 33
13-10-2007, 01:14
When gaunts fly.

well they already do