PDA

View Full Version : Millenium: any fans out there?

Hlokk
04-09-2005, 16:40
No, i dont mean the god-awful song by robbie williams, i mean the awesome series by Chris Carter, the guy that created the X files and Harsh Realm. I found the first series in the bargain bucket in my local woolies for 20 so I thought I'd give it a whirl and I was very pleasantly suprised.

For those of you who havnt seen it, its about a detective who has some sort of psychic ability and is able to get into the heads of serial killers and rapists. He works for a gorup of consultants called the millenium group who provide expertese to local police. The acting is fantastic and the lead character is great, and the support cast are all well thought out and well balanced.

My only gripes with the first series so far is the epesode about the sisters who kill themselves and the guy in the tube who cant speak properly. I just thought it was crap to be honest. The only other thing I didnt like was them killing off bob barkham, he was fantastic.

So what I'd like to know is this: Is it worth getting series 2 and 3 or is it going to decent into another chris carter crap fest ala series 7-9 of the x files?

Keravin
04-09-2005, 16:47
Series 2 is fantastic. It knocks X Files into a corner and kicks the crap out of it.

We muddled through season 1 and it was ok, but ploughed through the fantastic series 2.

Then Chris Carter came back and Season 3 is dull again.

Wintermute
04-09-2005, 17:35
The main problem with Millennium is the show was altered every season in an attempt to make it more viewer (or should that read network) friendly .

Overall the show is much darker than The X-Files and stays more focused on its main story.

I would recommend buying Seasons 2 & 3. The Season 3 set includes the X-Files episode entitled Millennium which attempted to tie up the loose ends of the show after its cancellation (just like The Lone Gunmen).

Brother Frog
04-09-2005, 18:41
Emma Hollis (Season 3) just annoyed the crap out of me. This woman SHOULD have died every week from careless and stupid actions which often put other's lives at risk. In my opinion, series one is the freshest, series two the quirkiest ("Oh! My gun has jammed - Deep joy!") and series three the weakest.

Believe it or not, according to Chris Carter, Frank is not supposed to be psychic (even though evidence suggests otherwise). He apparently just sees/re-enacts the scene in his head...

I would suggest that everyone needs to watch "Somehow, Satan got behind me" (season two, episode 21). Demons, alien autopsies, serial killers AND doughnuts all in one episode... :)

Wintermute
04-09-2005, 19:59
I always believed Franks was psychic despite Chris Carter's opinion, especially when we discover that Frank's daughter has inherited the ability.

And yes "Somehow Satan got Behind me" is a superb epsiode as is the X-Files crossover episode featuring Jose Chung.

Brother Frog
04-09-2005, 20:32
I always believed Franks was psychic despite Chris Carter's opinion, especially when we discover that Frank's daughter has inherited the ability.

I agree. She sees her dead grandmother AND a demonic child. How is she not psychic?!?

Kohhna
04-09-2005, 23:26
We didn't really get to see too much of it over here, due to the poor scheduling (the ITV regions got it and had it on all over the place like poly-filla in the late night slots, just like they did with the Highlander TV Serise and more recently Now And Again). What I did see of it (mainly from serise 2-3) I quite enjoyed.

My 500th post :) :D :evilgrin: :eek:

Wintermute
05-09-2005, 06:53
Even Sky One didn't screen all three seasons. They gave up after season two leaving the Sci-Fi Channel to screen season three.

When Sci-Fi did get season three, because of the events of 9/11, one of the episodes was shown out of sequence. They still will not screen the pilot episode of The Lone Gunmen for the same reason.

Kaaijer
05-09-2005, 07:58
I can vividly remember this single episode starring three Deamon-esque figures, sitting in a coffeeshop of some sort. Wich season does this particular episode belong to? It's been years since I saw it...

Brother Frog
05-09-2005, 08:05
That's "Somehow Satan got behind me". Fantastic.

Keravin
05-09-2005, 09:29
That's at the end of Season 2.

Yes Chris Carter talks about how Frank's not psychic on the season 1 disk and continues to show little understanding for why Season 2 was so damned interesting with a logical and cohesive plot (unlike the X Files).