PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 2 bug

Arnizipal
04-09-2005, 17:18
I finally got my hands on Fallout 2. :cool:
I'm loving it this far (I'm in Gecko at the moment), but my game seems to be suffering from a weird bug. All children in the game are invisble. :eyebrows:
I know they're there because sometimes they say stuff when I walk by, or rather sometimes text appears when there's nobody around to talk. That's all they do, though. I can't talk to them or nothing...

At first I didn't mind, but then I got some child related quests (like saving the tanner's son in Mocolo) that I couldn't complete, which was annoying. Now I apparently can't get a car because I can't find a wrench for Valerie so she won't give me the Super Tool Kit to trade for a car battery.
The wrench, I found out after some research, you're supposed to get from a kid in Vault City. But the little blighter ISN'T THERE :mad: :cries:

I NEED that car. Distances in this game are huge!

Did anyone encounter this problem before? Or have any way to fix it?

Yorkiebar
04-09-2005, 17:30
There is a wrench available elsewhere, but don't bother. Download the children patch instead. I'll just go find a link for you...

EDIT: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=78

Enjoy the game!

Arnizipal
04-09-2005, 17:44
Will this work with the UK version?

Yorkiebar
04-09-2005, 19:34
It did for me.

Arnizipal
04-09-2005, 20:24
It did indeed :)
Thanks again man.

Kiro
04-09-2005, 20:27
I've played the game numberous times, and I'm aware of the children patch, but I've never used it. Does the patch actually make a difference? Is it worth downloading? The only thing I can think of is that one quest in Gecko...

Yorkiebar
04-09-2005, 21:23
I've played the game numberous times, and I'm aware of the children patch, but I've never used it. Does the patch actually make a difference? Is it worth downloading? The only thing I can think of is that one quest in Gecko...There's also some dialogue which is missed out on, kids who rob you in the Den, and a minor quest in the courtyard of Vault City.

Arnizipal
04-09-2005, 21:36
I'm playing the nice guy, and I could get the car running unless I got myself a wrench (which was buried by a kid - see my post above) or shot the Ghoul who had the missing car part.
It was pretty annoying the programmers didn't fix this.

Yorkiebar
05-09-2005, 07:37
I'm playing the nice guy, and I could get the car running unless I got myself a wrench (which was buried by a kid - see my post above) or shot the Ghoul who had the missing car part.
It was pretty annoying the programmers didn't fix this.Yeah. By the way, there is another way to get a super tool kit - you can steal it from Smitty in the Den.

Ravening Wh0re
05-09-2005, 13:46
Yeah that game had a fair few bugs. I recall one where I headed back to my car and only the boot was visible. I couldn't ever use the damn thing again :(

Yorkiebar
05-09-2005, 20:10
Yeah that game had a fair few bugs. I recall one where I headed back to my car and only the boot was visible. I couldn't ever use the damn thing again :(You could just, um, possibly, load the game from before you lost it, perhaps?

Speaking of bugs, New Reno :eek:

The horror...

Arnizipal
05-09-2005, 23:35
Damn, I haven't been there yet. Shooting tentacle things in Redding right now (man they are tough!).
Patching the game to 1.02 should fix most of these bugs, right?

Yorkiebar
06-09-2005, 07:45
Damn, I haven't been there yet. Shooting tentacle things in Redding right now (man they are tough!).
Patching the game to 1.02 should fix most of these bugs, right?Nothing could fix the huge mess that is New Reno, but other than that most stuff gets straightened out.

Ozorik
06-09-2005, 12:05
You can also buy the super snap on tool kit in San fran, but thats a bit far into the game if you dont know where to go :)

Ive never had any problems in new reno but I do always ensure that I patch FO2 as it has more a a few nasty bugs in its vanilla state.

WLBjork
06-09-2005, 14:35
Yeah that game had a fair few bugs. I recall one where I headed back to my car and only the boot was visible. I couldn't ever use the damn thing again :(

Didn't run out of fuel did you?

I seem to recall that at one time, if you ran out of fuel and didn't refuel but continued on your journey then you would turn the boot into a cart. Kind of wierd.

TBH, all Fallout games have had pretty bad bugs, but on the other hand, the games managed to outshine this somehow.

Ravening Wh0re
06-09-2005, 15:56
Patching the game to 1.02 should fix most of these bugs, right?

Those Wanamingos? Oh, IIRC, the patch makes your previous saves useless

Arnizipal
06-09-2005, 20:24
Yeah Wanamingos. I'm guessing their weak spot is the same as that of all mutants: the eyes, but these things don't seem to have any...
They're pretty tough. I keep aiming at their 'eyes?' which somehow damages their breathing. :eyebrows:
Still gets them killed though.

EDIT: I just found out 'being a gimp for the evening' is NOT a figure of speech! :cries:

PrOtOcoN
07-09-2005, 20:06
I'm a huge Fallout fan, but thankfully I don't have the UK version of any of the games (an American and a Polish one actually :P)

It was pretty annoying the programmers didn't fix this.

Well, it was the programmers that made it that way. No kids so you can't...tada...kill children. I mean, we can take drugs, have sex, shoot dogs and neuter people from range via railgun...but killing pixilated children is a big no no...silly.

The car trunk bug can be fixed by downloading any of the numerous patches available out there. The "No Mutants Allowed" Fallout forum has very good files.

As to the Redding Wanamingos. I'd usually don't tackle those until mid-game. Just go down and aim for the eyes (or shoot everything to crap if you have fast shot :chrome: ). But seems like you're getting along great :P

Arnizipal
07-09-2005, 20:41
Well, it was the programmers that made it that way. No kids so you can't...tada...kill children. I mean, we can take drugs, have sex, shoot dogs and neuter people from range via railgun...but killing pixilated children is a big no no...silly.

Still, if they absolutley have to take out the children they could have at least made it so that you could still complete all quests. Especially one as important as getting the car.

Yorkiebar
07-09-2005, 21:07
Still, if they absolutley have to take out the children they could have at least made it so that you could still complete all quests. Especially one as important as getting the car.You can still get the car, but it costs more and gives less experience.

Basically European law prevents games which allow you to harm children, so the line of programming which says 'show children' was removed. Pretty rubbish solution, but the programmers didn't necessarily have much choice in the matter.

Arnizipal
07-09-2005, 21:39
Didn't Baldur's Gate also have children which you incidentally also could kill?
That game wasn't censored.

At any rate, here in Belgium we're pretty soft on censorship. it's just that we need to import our games from countries that do have strict censorship laws.

Yorkiebar
09-09-2005, 15:55
I was playing Icewind Dale today, in which there are still children, but they have 100% damage resistance. This is a much better solution IMO.

Special death magic can still kill them, but they simply disappear rather than bleeding or leaving a body.

EDIT: There's also an invincible squirrel for some reason. You can still damage it but it has infinite health. :wtf:

Arnizipal
10-09-2005, 08:17
I failed to save my home town! :cries:
I got so depressed when I found out last night I was tempted to start over...

Now I've slept on it I'll still go on but I've decided to replay the game when I've finished and make some better decisions this time.

bertcom1
10-09-2005, 11:11
I failed to save my home town! :cries:
I got so depressed when I found out last night I was tempted to start over...

Now I've slept on it I'll still go on but I've decided to replay the game when I've finished and make some better decisions this time.

Dont give up, press on. Its not as bad as it looks

You cant save your tribal village (Arroyo?), its part of the plot that you go back and find it destroyed, but there is still hope after that

Arnizipal
10-09-2005, 12:25
I read in a walktrough (yes I know it's cheating :( ) that you can save your village if you get the GECK in 90 days. Your shaman sends you a dream message four times. After the 4th one, your village is dead. I had just received the third message so I thought I still had time :(

bertcom1
10-09-2005, 15:40
I read in a walktrough (yes I know it's cheating :( ) that you can save your village if you get the GECK in 90 days. Your shaman sends you a dream message four times. After the 4th one, your village is dead. I had just received the third message so I thought I still had time :(

:confused:

Never heard that before, I thought it always played out the same, you find the GECK, and its an event-trigger for the next bit of the plot, just like you cant find Vault 13 until you know where it is through triggering the right event.

Yorkiebar
10-09-2005, 15:46
'Tis true, it's unavoidable. The real tragedy of the game is that there's so much in it you may never find it all.

Arnizipal
10-09-2005, 16:07
Well, that comforts me somewhat. :)
Time to take sweet sweet revenge :evilgrin:

bertcom1
10-09-2005, 16:50
Well, that comforts me somewhat. :)
Time to take sweet sweet revenge :evilgrin:

Revenge rocks!

Plasma or laser weapons are great for revenge.

The violence levels in Fallout are incredible compared to most other games.

Some of the death animations for weapons like plasma, laser, or the Alien Blaster, are surprisingly gruesome, even without the Bloody Mess trait.

Kiro
10-09-2005, 17:11
Plasma or Laser? Why don't you play with a real toy - the pulse rifle! :p

bertcom1
10-09-2005, 17:24
Plasma or Laser? Why don't you play with a real toy - the pulse rifle! :p

I forget what that does, but can remember how the lasers and plasmaguns worked.

Lasers would slice people in half, and the plasmaguns would strip the flesh from their bones, before the skeleton then collapsed in a heap.

The Alien Blaster was pretty impressive as well.

Kiro
10-09-2005, 17:43
Effects wise, victims of pulse rifle would either disintegrate, or they would suffer the "electorcuted" death. I mention it because it's damage beats the laser and plasma rifles hands down.

Sir_Turalyon
10-09-2005, 20:56
The Alien Blaster was pretty impressive as well.

Pulse weapons are basicaly alien blasters, with the same critical effect: Target gets electric shock, showing the sceleton, then fall into dust (or, if he's human, into dust and pair of smoking boots :) ). They are clearly most powerful energy weapons.

But nothing beats gauss weapons, when it comes to critical animations; sight of enclave troopers blown out of their power armour by high velocity bullet is priceless.

Yeah that game had a fair few bugs. I recall one where I headed back to my car and only the boot was visible. I couldn't ever use the damn thing again

Infamous car trunk bug? I never found way to counter it, other then learning in what areas it happens and alwats going there on foot, leaving car parked in nearest safe city.

Worse case was San Francisco, I made countless foot trips from NCR there.

Arnizipal
13-09-2005, 18:39
Er... my skill button just disappeared ( :wtf: ) and reloading the game doesn't seem to help.
Any ideas?

Yorkiebar
13-09-2005, 18:49
The Skilldex button?

Try just using the keyboard shortcuts:
1 = sneak
2 = lockpick
3 = pickpocket
4 = traps
5 = first aid
6 = doctor
7 = science