PDA

View Full Version : Advice on MMORPGs please!

Odin
04-09-2005, 18:43
I've been playing a bit of UrbanDead recently, and I'm tempted to try something a bit more sophisticated. So, what I want to know is, where should I start. I don't have alot of money, or a hell of a lot of time, so one game is pretty much the limit (though if I enjoy the experience I'll probably look at another one in a couple of years time, possibly the warhammer one).

The ones I know of are:

World of Warcraft - I've heard it's good, but it looks a bit too twee to me, lacks a dark edge.

Star Wars Galaxies - I love Star Wars, so I'm quite tempted by this. On the other hand, Star Wars computer games vary from brilliant to dreadful, and I don't know where on the scale this one fits.

....so, would you recommend one of these? Or another game?

EDIT: I seem to have posted this in completely the wrong place somehow. Can someone move it to Cumputer Games please?!

Cypher
05-09-2005, 07:36
I've been playing Everquest 2 since launch, and Im certainly enjoying it. Good solid fantasy, plenty to do, and great graphics.

There are a lot of people who swear by World of Warcraft. Aside from having really crap visuals, its also somewhat of a MMORPG "lite". Yeah all the boxes are checked, but the game lacks depth.

SW: Galaxies is a flawed game. Its a wonderful representation of Star Wars, but I found it to be completely lacking as a game. It feels very aimless, and by god it can be confusing. Only if you're a hardcore SW fan.

Thoume
05-09-2005, 11:12
Guild Wars - while not a true MMORPG in the usual sense - would be a good one if money and time is really the issue, as there are no subscription fees.

Other than that, I don't really know what to expect from an MMORPG. I've never tried any of the ones mentioned earlier. Anyone know what happened to Planetside? Although it's more of a MMOFPS, I was wondering if it is truely dead as one of my friends puts it or that not many people go on it any more...

Flashheart
28-09-2005, 09:19
Planetside is dead if you compare the amount of players now to when the game was new but you can still get some decent sized battles.

TitusAndronicus
28-09-2005, 09:27
sign up here for vampires. I'll help me out a bit as well, as it helps make me strnger when I have baby vamps. I'm not sure how much I love this game yet. A lot of being bit by bigger vamps.

http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Titus+A

Ozorik
29-09-2005, 13:14
WoW inst overly complicated but it isnt particullary shallow either. The visuals arent bad either, they are a little twee but you get used to them. WoW does have some good 'dark' areas, particulary the undead areas such as silver pine and the alliance zone of darkshire.

Eve is another quality MMORPG but it would be a bit daunting for a MMORPG newbie due to its sheer scope and lack of a clearly defined structure.

The new incarnation of warhammer online may well be crap, it doesnt sound particullary enticing at the moment and im not a fan of mythic after playing DAoC and putting up with unbalanced classes and persistent bugs.

x-esiv-4c
29-09-2005, 15:43
Star Wars galaxies is total pants.
Roommate of mine played it constantly. Well when I say play it, he was standing in the middle of a field "dancing" to get his dance skill up.

He skipped classes for his.

He works at Wal-mart now.

Moral of the story: Play SWG and condemn yourself to a life of slavery at Wal-Mart.

Odin
29-09-2005, 15:49
Star Wars galaxies is total pants.
Roommate of mine played it constantly. Well when I say play it, he was standing in the middle of a field "dancing" to get his dance skill up.

He skipped classes for his.

He works at Wal-mart now.

Moral of the story: Play SWG and condemn yourself to a life of slavery at Wal-Mart.

Hmmm, dancing in a field eh? Still sounds better than the Phantom Menace.

I've already condemned myself to a life of slavery in the Civil Service.

Good to see this thread has been resurrected now it's been moved to the right place!

Some guy (UK)
29-09-2005, 15:55
Id thourghly reccommend guild wars. Its the only type of this genre i have ever played. Its so simple to begin with and works you into the game and gets a lot more challenging as you move on. Stunning graphics, and no fees.

I see it as one of those games were it takes a second to learn, but a lifetime to master ( i think thats how the saying goes).

But i have enjoyed the experience so far. now............. GO AND BUY IT :p ;)

C ya, Some Guy (UK)

Rykion
29-09-2005, 18:33
If you don't have a lot of time, World of Warcraft is the way to go in MMORPGs. It is easy to solo and you gain levels pretty quick. Once you hit level 60 the game becomes a grind, but you run into the same problem earlier in most other games.

Star Wars Galaxies is definitely not for someone that can't dedicate a lot of time to playing. Most classes and the economy really require a player to craft items and you end up doing more work in game than actually playing.

Some guy (UK)
29-09-2005, 18:40
If you don't have a lot of time, World of Warcraft is the way to go in MMORPGs. It is easy to solo and you gain levels pretty quick. Once you hit level 60 the game becomes a grind, but you run into the same problem earlier in most other games. .

I rekon WoW is NOT the game you want if you dont have much time on your hands. Surely if you dont play often then you are wasting you playing fee??

C ya, Some Guy (UK)

Rykion
29-09-2005, 18:49
I rekon WoW is NOT the game you want if you dont have much time on your hands. Surely if you dont play often then you are wasting you playing fee??

C ya, Some Guy (UK)

Almost all MMORPGs have playing fees. You can play games over battlenet or Guild Wars without them, but those aren't MMORPGs. I just gave my opinion of the actual question of the thread. If someone doesn't have much time at all, any game is a waste of money.