PDA

View Full Version : Could the AdMech take over the Imperium?

Deus Mechanicus
10-10-2007, 20:44
Just a thought that crossed my mind, the Adeptus Mechanicus's views obviously differs from those of the Imperium. So say in theory that the Fabricator General of Mars and the higher echelons of the AdMech one day woke up and thought taht "Hey maybe we oughta rule".

Do you think the AdMech could take the Imperium? They do have access to the Golden Throne so first thing could be pulling the plug, definatly a moral blow to the Imperium.... and don't forget about those Titans...

jfrazell
10-10-2007, 20:52
You're assuming they don't rule now?

;)

Deus Mechanicus
10-10-2007, 20:56
You're assuming they don't rule now?

;)

Yeah yeah.

Mechanicus
10-10-2007, 21:03
The Mechanicus owns, according to my estimates, roughly one tenth, maybe one ninth at the very most, of the worlds of the Imperium. It's bloody powerful politically. It's technologically advanced. It's militarily powerful. But it's dispersed, spread throughout the Imperium without easy support from fellow Mechanicus worlds. It's fractured politically and in terms of sects with the Cult. There are intense rivalries between the Forgeworlds.

The question is, would all the Mechanicus Adepts follow the Fabricator-General? ;) Who would side with who, and at the news of the rebellion, would the Imperium kill all the ones that side with them in case of them being spies, despite the need for them?

It all depends how loyal most of them are to the Emperor, or to Mars, and how trusting they are of each other, and I don't think that's much... ;)

Norminator
10-10-2007, 21:03
Any attempt would launch the Imperium into a civil war as great if not greater than that of the Horus Heresy. However the Ad-Mech would have a massive advantage in that, other than the Marine Chapters, they could cut off almost all the weapons and armour to the Imperium's forces, whilst ensuring that their Skitarii legions were constantly reinforced with new machinery to replace their losses. However I'm not certain they could overcome the Marines - 1,000,000 genetically enchanced superhumans dotted about the galaxy, most if not all who would pledge allegiance to the Imperium, would be a massive obstacle. The only way I can really see a guaranteed Ad-Mech victory is if they binned their classic dogmatic approach and actually bothered treating technology as it should be (i.e. not as religious icons). If they did that a victory over the Imperium seems quite possible to me.

librerian_samae
10-10-2007, 21:07
Also there is the fact the the general fabricator of mars is one of the more influential members of the high lords of terra. So in a way the adeptus mechanicus do rule the imperium, well have a share in it anyway :p

jfrazell
10-10-2007, 21:13
Marines too. Tech marines are still ad mech after all.

Ad mech represent the most cohesive force inside the Imperium. They also appear to be one of the lesser ctrolled organizations by the Inquisition.

But they would not have to be so gross as to proffer outright war. They run the machinery. Accidents can easily happen to any other group in their way. Ships disappear in the warp, shuttles malfunction and vent everything into space, etcetera, all easily done in the current power structure.

Obermotz
10-10-2007, 21:39
Well the fabricator general is only as mighty as every other servant of the emperor. And remember as an adept of terra he sits right beside the high represantative of the holy inquisition of the immortal emperor and this shall help him over any doubts of his real tasks.

From Shadows
10-10-2007, 21:48
Who has and stores/controls all of the marines geneseed?

Archaon
11-10-2007, 00:42
There is a saying in the military:

"Good leaders talk strategy.. brilliant leaders talk logistics"

Logistics, i.e. support and supplies are the cornerstones of every army and every civilization and the Mechanicus controls it. Were they ever to decide to stop supplying the worlds with supplies and technical staff the Imperium would be screwed.

Even the Marines only have limited ressources and need spare parts from the Mechanicus.. only the tiniest percentage of them may be called self reliant (Ultramarines perhaps).

Since they also control the machinery it would be extremely easy to sabotage everything on a given (secret) command.. what to stop them from blowing up the warp engines of a ship. They may lose some experienced staff but the Imperium loses battleships.

Additionally when it comes to combat they are no noobs either.. they have their own standing military and i think many loyal other organizations that would fight for them.

All considered.. IF they would fight as one it would be a very bloody war where they either annihilate each other or the Mechanicus wins at great cost. Either way the Imperium would be screwed forever because i don't believe for a second that Abaddon wouldn't take advantage of that.

Tehkonrad
11-10-2007, 01:00
yeah true i think the admech wouldn't really want a war anyway too much pricelss weapons destroyed

codicium_aeternum
11-10-2007, 01:06
dont the admech have their own space marine chapter? i remember something about them...

i think those SM supported by the admech would probably wipe out 8 or 9 other chapters before they were stopped... and thats talking full blown chapter v chapter wars...

as the imperial navy is currently engaged mostly in the 13th black crusade... the mechanicum would probably royally screw the imperium in so many ways

and the FG would have so many implants i doubt even the high lords of terra could stop in in H2H combat or even ranged...

Archaon
11-10-2007, 01:21
To my recollection the AM don't have their own Space Marines though they have troops that would be comparable in combat effectiveness and i think a "little" more numbers :D

Khaine's Messenger
11-10-2007, 01:43
Do you think the AdMech could take the Imperium?

Not really, no. They could cripple the Imperium and, in general, make its further existence more tenuous than it already is, but no, they couldn't conquer or defeat the Imperium. Mainly because their power projection capabilities are terrible. Any such war would be a defensive war fought mainly by denying the other side the ability to advance while taking no territory for oneself. Yes, it's possible that the pervasive nature of the Cult Mechanicus would allow them an unprecedented array of sleeper agents and the ability to mess with the Imperium's logistics, but bringing that all into play at once would be a coup to top all coups in a galaxy with such logistical problems as 40k.

Green-is-best
11-10-2007, 05:18
Since the leader of both the Imperium and the Machine Cult are literally minutes away from each other I think that battle would be decided by "who's the firstest with the mostest"

Ktotwf
11-10-2007, 05:24
The AdMech could DESTROY the Imperium as a functioning body by denial of material, but could they TAKE IT OVER? No.