PDA

View Full Version : Starship Troopers Demo

Brimstone
04-09-2005, 19:55
Is anybody else playing this yet?

I got the demo on the new issue of UK PC Gamer and I'm having a few problems.

Once I'm out of the outpost and having collected the power pack and minelayers I can't get back without dying horribly, the bugs just overwhelm me. :evilgrin:

As a Tyranid player I can appreciate it but it doesn't make the game much fun.

The graphics are pretty demanding as well, I've got a resonably OK setup and have had to turn it down to 800x600 just to get it running acceptably.

Warhammer_freak
04-09-2005, 19:58
Same here Brim. I've had to reduce the settings down to the lowest I can and it still lags. I dont know why as my PC has good enough specs to run a game like that easily.

However I did also get to the same place as yourself. One gun doesn't even hurt the yellow bugs so that just leaves the m4 and you die when reloading. + the lag doesn't help.

Brimstone
04-09-2005, 20:02
Good so it's not just me then. :p

I think it's got something to do with shooting the barrels (doesn't it always) around the pit but I've not had much luck so far.

Oldbury
04-09-2005, 21:34
same for me guys i believe we just have to run like hell somewhere. and the second guns shotgun feature is pretty useful

Regards Oldbury

Harky
04-09-2005, 22:17
This is Starship Troopers 2 you're talking about? I have ST1 at home, it was quite fun to play and it finished the story from the move, so what's ST2 about?

Chuffy
05-09-2005, 08:14
My problem is that I run out of Ammo, one of the guns doesn't do anything and the yellow warriors are smart enough to dodge shotgun blasts.

Also I'm having no lag, mainly because my PC doesn't lag on anything, mwahahaha!

C. Langana
05-09-2005, 11:10
I've been playing the demo quite a bit, it is truly ace, I had a lot of trouble with various parts of it (kept getting eaten) but...
Langana's guide to bug slaughtering:
-Aim for the face puts them down well quick. Just like they tell you in the film.
-The secondary fire on the heavier assualt rifle either does nothing at range or annhilates bugs at point blank.
-Do NOT use the morita smart rifle
-Lots of extra ammo lying about in the base
-To survive big bug rushes chuck grenades and use the secondary fire on the Morita to thin them out, keep back peddalling and then use the auto shotgun thing on primary.

I love this game btw.

P.s. also played Fahrenheit which was on the pcg disk, not to drag things off topic but next months pay cheque has a big dent in it as a result.

grey_painter
05-09-2005, 13:11
Yeah I kept dieing at that point. My computer isn't lagging but then I started off with all the settings at the lowest and haven't dared turn them up yet. Even so it was impressive to see such a hoard of bugs while in the bunker, and down right scary in the canyon. Why oh why couldn't I have taken a few distractions...er I mean troopers with me...

And the Fahrenheit game is also on my wish list now due to the demo.

Harky
05-09-2005, 13:38
So ST2 is not a strategy but a first person shootout?

Sojourner
05-09-2005, 14:50
Kind of cool looking, am downloading.

Unfortunately, the graphics look like ass.

Oldbury
05-09-2005, 18:15
i still can't get all the bugs i can get about a dozen then the rest munch on me :cries:

Regards Oldbury

Shinobi
05-09-2005, 21:35
It's not brilliant. It's got nothing on BF2 or HL2 :D

Brimstone
06-09-2005, 13:10
Yay I finished it, the auto-shotgun lying in the pit does the job.

The amount of bugs that turn up once you get back to the outpost makes my little buggy heart proud.

Steven Tarise
08-09-2005, 15:14
It seemed a bit boring to me. Was good to finally play it after all the time waiting, but the thing that really put me off was it restarting my PC randomly. I could try tweaking the specs to make it run easier, but I never got any lag or anything wrong when I was playing, my PC would just restart. Never had it with other games, and it kind of killed my enthusiasm to the point that I dont want to play it anymore.