PDA

View Full Version : Baldness

Asher
04-09-2005, 19:38
Baldness is a problem that undoubtly concerns many men.
So what are YOU doing about it?

Fight it activly
Do you consider your apearance heavily damaged by the loss of hair and thus doing anything necessary to conter it?
That involves either hair transplantation, wearing a wig and any other simmilar methonds that are or will be awaialble.

Fight it passivly
You consider it to be a nuisance but are not willing to spend to much effort and resources to fight it.
Special shampooning or hair lotion maybe some anti-baldness vitamines.

Live with it
You are not the first to become bald nor the will be the last thus accepting it as a fact in life. The change of appearance doesn't concern you much.

Embrace it
You see it as an inevetable fate that sooner or later will strike you too. Instead of slowly loosing hair you decide to shave your head and get over with it.

I'm 21 and have already lost a big deal of hair and my head beneath the hair is clearly visible. Each time I move my hand trough the hair about half a dozend or more falls of.
Sooner or later I'll reach a state where longer hair (3 cm) just looks...well...oddly. Then at the latest I'll get to shave the whole head completely. No extra short hair but plain skin.
The only downside of this is that if you could be mistaken for a skin-head but with apropriate clothing this might be contered. A goaty or a beard might also do a difference.

EDIT: Spelling

Luke
04-09-2005, 19:47
well, im 21 and have a full head of gorgeously brown/red/blue/black/whatever colour the light is shining WaVy hair. my old man is balding and this scares me as my brothers hair is very thin and unlike mine, very straight.

my mothers father however is about 78 odd and has a full head of gorgeously grey wavy hair! and i heard a myth that baldness is inherited from the mothers side. and since my mums family has all got loads of wavy, thick hair, i think/hope im safe from the onset of male pattern baldness. however, if i did start to go bald i dont think it would bother me as much, as i often shave my hair quite short (#1 - 4) and would give me an excuse to go for a skinhead. which would suit my meat head image quite well :D

a lot of my friends (20-28) are going bald, they just dont care though. we aint that vain. mind you, none of us has girlfriends........*sob*

starlight
04-09-2005, 19:53
Baldness is mostly due to a lack of blood circulation in the scalp.

If you want to maintain a full head of hair:

Reduce your stess levels, as this causes tightening of the muscles in the neck and head.
Increase your circulation. This can be done by massage (most effective, but more work) or drugs (rogaine/etc, easier, but still drugs with side effects).

I know numerous people who have gone from almost total baldness to a full head of hair with simple massage of the neck and scalp. The thickness of my hair varies with my stress levels.

I'm in the *don't care* group, however I consider it a part of overall health and fitness.

Sprue Rubbles
04-09-2005, 19:56
I shave it every 3-4 days. It's clean bald, not a crew cut. I'm not ready for the Captain Picard look just yet.

If I don't my hairline is exactly half way between the front and back so it looks really odd.

m1s1n
04-09-2005, 19:59
I don't seem to be going bald/receeding at all, but then again I'm only 24. I have a full head of hair that's . . . .going grey. I got this whole Nick Fury/Reed Richards grey on the sides thing going on. Other than that, it seems to be fine.

Wraith
04-09-2005, 20:11
Baldness is genetic, sure there might be things like 'destressing' but you're simply putting off the innevitable.

I'm 22, my father is bald, but thankfully my hair is still as it has always been (my dad started loosing his very early) however as with Luke my mother's father had is hair right until is death so... I'm not sure what to think.

I wouldn't necessairly shave your head but I personally would have it very short, I mean I have a 0.9 all over as it is anyway... I think this more because I'm lazy though hence I have it so short anyway even now.

I feel people just have to accept your body is deteriating as soon as you're born, things go wrong, and will go wrong more and more, stop trying to be immortal and just accept your going to die one day most likely old, grey and feeble.

I see the 'embracing it' option as bad as the first two options -- you're attempting to, well, 'hide' your baldness, this will lead to you feeling ashamed of yourself.

Your best bet IMHO is the 'live with it' option -- this doesn't mean you can't cut your hair short just don't shave it in an attempt to 'remove any visible clue' to the fact you are bald naturally (not by choice).

Better people know you are bald from the start, then have yourself desperate to constantly hide it and have to deflect probing questions regarding your stringent scalp shaving practices...

starlight
04-09-2005, 20:22
Baldness is genetic

No, *pre-disposition* to baldness is genetic. Quite a difference there.

I personally know several people who have gone from a full head of hair to complete (or near-complete) baldness and come back to a full head of (actually healthier) hair using only massage twice a day. :)

And I also disagree with:

I feel people just have to accept your body is deteriating as soon as you're born, things go wrong, and will go wrong more and more, stop trying to be immortal and just accept your going to die one day most likely old, grey and feeble.

That my be how *you* want to live, but *I'm* choosing to live differently. :D

Wraith
04-09-2005, 20:47
No, *pre-disposition* to baldness is genetic. Quite a difference there.

'Male pattern baldness' is genetic, just like having blue eyes is genetic...

That my be how *you* want to live, but *I'm* choosing to live differently.

Well, thanks for informing me of how *you* like to live... :eyebrows:

Brother Frog
04-09-2005, 20:52
Going very thin at the temples, just like Bruce Willis did.

As to grey hair, I've got a few (and a few more every day), though it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Tomasaurus
04-09-2005, 20:54
i'm 18 have a very full head of thick brown hair with red highlights, and I'm the sex.

starlight
04-09-2005, 21:00
Actually *MPB* is showing up in increasing numbers of females as they take on high-stress executive jobs formerly exclusive to men. Given the complete lack of MPB in my family, how would genetics explain my having it at quite a young age? :eyebrows: Stress is much more likely, given my life.

MPB is *genetic*, just like most *diseases* are the product of lobbying by pharmaceutical companies. I spent 13+ years in health care and watched an alarming number of conditions which are tied to behaviour (not genetics) be reclassified as *diseases* because pharmaceutical companies can then sell drugs to *treat* them while baring any non-medical treatments. :(

Eating a variety of organic non-proccessed foods, getting regular levels of excersise and having healthy social habits will do more for your overall health than any drugs ever will. :D

Sad, but true.

Wraith
04-09-2005, 21:08
Actually *MPB* is showing up in increasing numbers of females as they take on high-stress executive jobs formerly exclusive to men.

Stress related hair loss in females (and males) and male pattern baldness which as far as I'm concerned can be traced to certain genes on the male Y chromosone are completely different things.

My opinion on 'organic' food is similar to yours however I'm not of the opinion it will change the colour of my eyes, or pattern of my finger prints.

starlight
04-09-2005, 21:20
are completely different things.

Maybe so, but every instance of *MPB* that I'm (personally) aware of has disappeared with either removal/mitigation of stressors or initiation of massage. This experience would lead me to believe that MPB, quite simply, isn't.

Alternatively, I'd have to consider that I don't know a single person with MPB, since every person who has tried to treat their baldness with reduction of stressors or application of massage has been successful.

Food for thought.

Eating, excersise and social habits may not change the patterns on your fingers, but they will change your height and weight, among other factors (including hair quality and distributuion) throughout your life. Height is (in part) governed by nutrition and excersise during formitive years. Weight is governed, in part, by habits and social exposures.

Genetics are only part of the picture, and in many cases not the biggest part.

Brother Frog
04-09-2005, 21:22
Reduce your stess levels, as this causes tightening of the muscles in the neck and head.

*Lives in a world of permanent stress*

Mind you, (allegedly) being Ben Affleck doesn't help much either... :eek:

Wraith
04-09-2005, 21:29
My point is while environment can have a huge effect on the individual, it cannot change intrinsic genetic facts -- no matter how many (organic ;) ) bread crusts a child eats it wont give him curly hair if it is 'naturally' straight. ;)

Kohhna
04-09-2005, 21:36
If I start going bald (unlikely as the men on my dads side tend not to) I'll shave the bugger off Yul-Bryner style. I'd get some nifty tatoos to fill the space (nature abhors a vacuum).

Chabalakra
04-09-2005, 21:42
Started losing my hair when i was 26 realised there was nothing i could do about it so now i get a no.1 trim every 4 weeks. Nothing looks sadder than a man with a 3 strand 'Bobby Charlton' sweep-over

Gaebriel
04-09-2005, 21:43
My father's family has a history of growing bald early, my uncle was bald in his mid twenties, it started with me in my late twenties. It's not entirely bald, just missing a lot of hairs. After experimenting with several hair styles, I decided to go short - as in a 2mm cut.

Well, it looks great (if you have the head, which I gladly have), is easy to groom ;). And the ladies like it. So there's nothing to complain...

Adept
04-09-2005, 22:01
I believe the gene which gives a prediliction for baldness is an X chromosome linked, recessive gene. Which is why it comes from your mothers side, since you can only get an X from your mother, if you are a male.

I don't think I will go bald. All of my mothers side (and my fathers, too) have/had full heads of hair. But I wish I would go bald, so I wouldn't have to keep shaving my heads. As far as I'm concerned, hair is a waste of time and space.

Kohhna
04-09-2005, 23:10
I believe the gene which gives a prediliction for baldness is an X chromosome linked, recessive gene. Which is why it comes from your mothers side, since you can only get an X from your mother, if you are a male.
Does that mean that your mothers side is a better indicator of MPB than your fathers? If it is, I'm in trouble. Our Joe started balding at about 20, and the other two uncles and Grandad Mallon aren't/weren't very folically endowed.

starlight
05-09-2005, 00:22
My point is while environment can have a huge effect on the individual, it cannot change intrinsic genetic facts -- no matter how many (organic ;) ) bread crusts a child eats it wont give him curly hair if it is 'naturally' straight. ;)

Not so, that's what retro-viruses do, rewrite DNA.

I girl I once knew had very curly hair, until she became pregnant at which point it grew out totally straight. :eek: Her mom was the opposite. Every time her mom became pregnant, her hair reversed it's curly/straight *setting*.

Enviroment and other effects (such as diet and excercise) can have significant effects. DNA is like a paint pallette, what we do to/with ourselves and in what proportions from there is up to us.

When I was born I had blonde hair and brown eyes, now both are brown. My brother had blonde hair and blue eyes, now his hair is brown, but his eyes are still blue.

Nameless One
05-09-2005, 00:57
Ghehe who would have thought that there would be a serious thread about different sorts of hairloss on WarSeer? I surely would not. :p

Though as far as I know both sides have a point: basically there are two sorts of hair loss: one is indeed of stress and one because it's in someone their genes.

This year I also lost a whole lot of hair. I can only hope that my hair loss was because of stress so that I can try out what that 2 daily massage does to me. :p

*crosses fingers*

Can't say that I would like it, getting bald at an early age but I think that I would also millimeter it. If it would happen.

Ivan Stupidor
05-09-2005, 03:45
Baldness, eh? Well, on my mother's side, my grandfather died in his mid-60's with a full head of hair. (On my father's side, my gandfather went bald and died young.) Since I seem to take after my mother's side, I'm fairly sure I won't be going bald for a good long while.

Wraith
05-09-2005, 08:20
Not so, that's what retro-viruses do, rewrite DNA.

Oh god please don’t, we don’t even have the technology to do that, not the entire body.

In some definitions if you change someone’s DNA ‘they’ cease to exist, you get someone ‘different’.

I girl I once knew had very curly hair, until she became pregnant at which point it grew out totally straight. Her mom was the opposite. Every time her mom became pregnant, her hair reversed it's curly/straight *setting*.

What the hell? You’re coming out with some gems; pregnancy doesn’t change your DNA.

There are a number of types of hair the body can produce; indeed some very undernourished people grow a thin layer of hair over their bodies. In such cases this doesn’t mean their DNA has changed, the hair growth is as per there DNA.

When I was born I had blonde hair and brown eyes, now both are brown. My brother had blonde hair and blue eyes, now his hair is brown, but his eyes are still blue.

Irrelevant, hair and eye colour doesn’t fully develop until adulthood, I had blonde hair when I was young now it’s brown, many white children are born with much lighter eyes and darken when they grow older (e.g. green to brown). Their DNA doesn’t change, rather the individual matures.

I’m afraid I’m getting the impression you obviously don’t understand DNA fully with these comments…

nurgle_boy
05-09-2005, 10:38
well, im not sure of baldness in my family, but i think it will happen sooner or later, although i do know that my hair will most likely be whte by the time im 30.
damn genetics. apparently it happened to my father, and grandfather, so, i may as well embrace it.

still, white hair isnt too bad...

Geetarman
05-09-2005, 11:24
well most of my family have had a good amount of hair up until they die, but I am starting to go thin on the temples (al la bruce willis) but as I have my hair short (0.5cm) this isn't too much of a problem.

I will probably one day shave myself bald (my head anyway ;) ) as thats just lazier than cutting it short, and actually quite look forward to it :D

Gman

Asher
05-09-2005, 11:28
I see the 'embracing it' option as bad as the first two options -- you're attempting to, well, 'hide' your baldness, this will lead to you feeling ashamed of yourself.

Not sure if I get your point (or you mine for that matter) but there is a fundamental difference.
Being ashamed of baldness and shave your head is contradictional. The point was that I'm not content with the looks of a half bald head and rahter like it completely bald.

Then again interpreting it word by word, leads to the consequence that any alternation of your 'natural' look is a form of being in shame.
If it were so, it would not be bad at all, at least not for me as I don't want to look like a caveman.

Gaebriel
05-09-2005, 11:36
I agree, there's a difference between being ashamed and wanting to look good...

Wraith
05-09-2005, 18:14
Not sure if I get your point (or you mine for that matter) but there is a fundamental difference.
Being ashamed of baldness and shave your head is contradictional. The point was that I'm not content with the looks of a half bald head and rahter like it completely bald.

Well, it's purely down to your intentions, some people might shave their head and then claim they do it because they like doing it rather than because they are going bald, in relaity if they weren't going bald they wouldn't shave their head.

Another guy who fully admits to himself and others that he is going bald might shave his head because he genuinely thinks it looks better shaved.

You see the difference? One shaves to hide he's going bald against his will, the other shaves because he really does think it looks better.

marv335
05-09-2005, 18:56
don't fight it, it just looks silly. shave and be done.