PDA

View Full Version : Khorne 2k Cavalry

eleveninches
11-10-2007, 11:58
160: Exalted Champion (flail, enchanted shield, barded steed, armour of damnation)
135: lv1 Sorcerer (2xdispel scrolls)
205: 5 Knights (MoK)
30: 5 Warhounds
120: Chariot
178: 3 Minotaurs (GW, MoK)
224: 4 Minotaurs (GW, MoK)
80: 5 Flesh Hounds
-----
-----

patataman
11-10-2007, 15:48
The only advice...drop the Sorcerer and add anoter exalted...you have enogh dispel dice :P

MarcoPollo
11-10-2007, 16:06
Looks pretty good. Very fast and hard hitting. I would suggest a unit of Dragon ogres for some str 7 attacks. Perhaps instead of one of your minotaur units. Besides you have to ditch one of your minotaur units anyways because you are over the limit with your special choices.

Also, the gaze of the gods is better statistically than the AoD. Only when your opponent hits on 5's is the AoD better than gaze.

Boneknight
11-10-2007, 23:55
Why doesn't your exalted have MArk of Khorne. You can still take a sorceror. I play a khorne army, and My army is warriors marauders =, furies, hellcannon (can also put in a Giant or SHaggoth or MInotaurs instead) and 10 chosen Knights with an uber lord. A few hard hitting units (statistically the lord would tie against empire swordsmen and beat almost every basic unit) your list except ypr exalted's unit has a bunch of strong units that don't hit hard enough. Your knights charge, win, and then his general keeps his men fighting, flanks you, and your screwed. My khorne knights have never been flanked. The only time they fought in a combat for multiple rounds against undead. The way I beat the Ushabti flank trap was by charging out my lord. That is what you need. And patataman and Morcopllo are both right. Gaze of GOds is really cheesy. You do get one attempt to rally your character, and if he is in a unit w/ a musician he is either testing at 9 or 10 depending on his character level.

theDarkGeneral
12-10-2007, 03:38
Not a bad list eleveninches, many skulls will be collected, and much blood spilled!

Here's some thoughts and comments...hope they help...

*Exalted Champ: Good, but drop the Armor of Damnation and I'd recommend the Helm of Many Eyes. Stupidity isn't nearly as bad as it once was, and it's nice to slap down foolish foes he think that charging you is going to save them...:D

*Chaos Sorcerer: Ok...not a good idea for Tournaments because a lot of players will dock you for Army Comp/Sportsmanship. You don't need this guy, I'd drop him.

*Chaos Knights of Blood: Ok, but Musician will make them more reliable/useful.

*Warhounds: Not a unit I use much, to soft. I do however take one unit of 8 for theme, and some entertainment.

*Chariot: Mark this Khorne!

*Minotaurs: Good choice, add the 4th model to the first unit...

*Flesh Hounds: Good choice again, merge them into 2 units of 8 models each.

*Chaos Furies: Get some, they're one of Chaos's greatest tools...

warlord hack'a
12-10-2007, 09:59
keep the hounds, they are vital for screening, deployment choices and are so damn cheap. Finally a chaos list which I see problems with countering..

eleveninches
12-10-2007, 12:35
The only advice...drop the Sorcerer and add anoter exalted...you have enogh dispel dice :P

*Chaos Sorcerer: Ok...not a good idea for Tournaments because a lot of players will dock you for Army Comp/Sportsmanship. You don't need this guy, I'd drop him
I do really feel the need for him, just to have a couple of scrolls for high-casting value spells.

Chariot: Mark this KhorneAnd get baited into charging scouts in difficult terrain? I think not. I've seen this happen several times already, and it is really a waste of a chariot to do that.

eleveninches
12-10-2007, 13:26
Why doesn't your exalted have MArk of Khorne Why would he need it?

radbug
12-10-2007, 13:53
Why would he need it?

Not sure what you plan to do with him, but he cant join the knights unless he has the same mark, and minotaurs don't work either. You could put him with the warhounds but that might be a waste of him and the hounds.

Chariot I fully agree with you. I don't think there are anything more stupid then a frenzy chariot.

Your sorcerer cant join that many units either so he will probably be killed by shooting, skirmishers (or possibly magic if you are unlucky) rather early in the game

/R

Jan Skarthen
12-10-2007, 13:55
In my Realm of Chaos you want a themed army you are either Khorne or not..basically I play an all Khornate army I don't include a wizard of any type it just doesn't sit well with me at all. If I want chaos magic I will take my Slaanesh/Nurgle/Tzeentch or undivided themed army.

When I see 2k Khorne I expect the army to be led by a Khorne Character and his Khornate retinue. I play this list trust me yes spells go off but being Khorne we don't give a toss you have more than enough dispels through unit MR.

On another note AFAIK you cannot carry both the Enchanted Shield and the Armour of Damnation as both count as magic armour! It must state specifically in the items description that you may combine it with another magic armour so this composition cannot be taken..sorry. Also a flail takes 2hands to use so either the shield or flail is pretty useless.

I do like the minotaurs though and as has already been said take a chariot, careful deployment should ensure that it doesn't charge off into nearest difficult terrain. I think that if an army is themed all available models should share the theme so all units which can should have MOK.

Played right this army is deadly..good luck with it regardless of my critique!

gerrymander61
12-10-2007, 14:15
You have five special slots taken up.

W0lf
12-10-2007, 17:04
185:Exalted Champion (MoK, Halberd, Chaos steed, Gaze of the Gods) General
155:Exalted Champion (MoK, Halberd, Chaos steed)

290: 5 Knights, Standard, Musican, Banner of rage (MoK) - Generals unit
240: 5 Knights, Standard, Musician (MoK)
36: 6 Warhounds

237: 3 Dragon Ogres, Light armour, Great weapons

Thats my edited version.

9 Dispel dice is easily adequate. 3 units of Knights with heros in each all screened then 2 units of flesh hounds and 2 units of gribblies is pretty decent imo.

Jan Skarthen
12-10-2007, 17:34

237: 3 Dragon Ogres, Light armour, Great weapons

Thats my edited version.

9 Dispel dice is easily adequate. 3 units of Knights with heros in each all screened then 2 units of flesh hounds and 2 units of gribblies is pretty decent imo.

I really like this list but one point is I know it doesn't state it in the rules but it quite amusing to see a mounted character be equipped with a halberd which as far as I am aware is and always has been an infantry only weapon.

In all my years playing warhammer I have never heard of this being permitted, I then checked my rulebook and though and behold it appears that a mounted model can now take a halberd:wtf:???

cold0
13-10-2007, 13:00
Why doesn't your exalted have MArk of Khorne. You can still take a sorceror. I play a khorne army, and My army is warriors marauders =, furies, hellcannon (can also put in a Giant or SHaggoth or MInotaurs instead) and 10 chosen Knights with an uber lord. A few hard hitting units (statistically the lord would tie against empire swordsmen and beat almost every basic unit) your list except ypr exalted's unit has a bunch of strong units that don't hit hard enough. Your knights charge, win, and then his general keeps his men fighting, flanks you, and your screwed. My khorne knights have never been flanked. The only time they fought in a combat for multiple rounds against undead.

I play a very similar list, but with 2 Knights units, 1 Chosen Knights unit, an Exalted Champion and 2 Champion. Generally I give a Spell Breaker Power to the Hellcannon, so I have the equivalent of a Dispel Scroll without the nedd to deploy a Sorcerer.

FlylikeaMouse
14-10-2007, 21:45
Not a bad list eleveninches,
*Chaos Sorcerer: Ok...not a good idea for Tournaments because a lot of players will dock you for Army Comp/Sportsmanship. You don't need this guy, I'd drop him.

Something i would definitely ignore.
Everyone thinks sorcerer = magic positive.

What could be more khornate than a master of dispelling magic !?
He's more of an anti-sorcerer, if you see what i mean.

I think its a good list as it stands :)

Frankly
14-10-2007, 22:10
135: lv1 Sorcerer (2xdispel scrolls)

178: 3 Minotaurs (GW, MoK)

-----
-----

These are all average choices imho. The rest of the list works well, but these should be re-placed with more supporting units that will help you get the khorne cavalry into combat more quickly, where you want them and under your terms.

More chariots, hounds and flyers will give you more tactical choices well protecting your elite units. Your list has to deal with allcomers, that means lots of light cavalry lists, gunlines, skirmshers, magic heavy, not just CC lists. Supporting units will help you counter supporting elements in the opponent's list so your cavalry base can strike at the heart of his army.

Aspiring champions with fails or halberds are good choices in each of your khorne cavalry units. This gives you the cheap CC power to help break units while adding dispel dice and also looking more fluffy than having a mage in a khorne list.

To many khorne units will we you over commiting to charges, not only failing charges, but just as bad block charge lanes in future turns with out of place units.

The whole deal with khorne is not how well they'll do in combat ... they'll always do well. It's how you deliver your units into combat, frenzy is an issue that a lot of veterans will exploit, but if you have a good support base to get your units into combat then the MoK is your best friend.

Blood God
14-10-2007, 22:32

calvery cant have halberds ( requires 2 hands)

Iziz
15-10-2007, 00:00
Great weapons require two hands and empire knights can have them. Unless there is some exception.

Outriders and Pistoliers also come to mind. Repeater handguns and braces of pistols are two handed.

eleveninches
15-10-2007, 12:23
I sort of agree about not having mages in khorne armies, but I still want to keep him just for the scrolls. Thanks for the advice so far, and i will revise the list before going and getting the army and selling the rest of my chaos stuff that i will no longer need.

Banner of rage Why would i want to spend 50 points on a poor magic missile bound item that is the only magic in my army and can be dispelled so easily?

EvC
15-10-2007, 15:01
Isn't that the banner that means they never lose Frenzy?

FlylikeaMouse
15-10-2007, 15:19
Isn't that the banner that means they never lose Frenzy?

Yeah, wrath is the crappy missile

calvery cant have halberds ( requires 2 hands)

Theres nothing in the 'requires 2 hands' rules or cavalry rules or halberd against it.

eleveninches
16-10-2007, 08:42
240: Exalted Champion (MoK, juggernaught, enchanted shield, berzerker sword)
265: 5 Chosen Knights (MoK)
120: Chariot
225: 4 Minotaurs (GW, MoK)
225: 4 Minotaurs (GW, MoK)
96: 6 Flesh Hounds
96: 6 Flesh Hounds
-----
-----

how's that?
The juggy ought to give my champion an extra wound or 2 in combat, and the berzerker sword will work well with the juggy's large base, and he still has a 2+armour save (would have been 0+ with a barded steed).
Can someone tell me what magic items that might be worth taking from the beasts of chaos book, as i dont own a copy of it yet.

gerrymander61
16-10-2007, 08:49
The only thing I don't understand is the chariot. It can't march and so it'll lag behind the rest of your army. I'd drop it for beefing up your flesh hound units and furies. You already have plenty of hitting power so you won't miss it. Otherwise a solid looking list.

eleveninches
16-10-2007, 09:02
or i could drop it to upgrade 2 more knights units to chosen

radbug
16-10-2007, 12:28
or i could drop it to upgrade 2 more knights units to chosen

Only one chosen knight unit in each army is allowed unless you are playing arachons horde army (and they become special if you do this in arachons horde army).

/R

randomkrazy
17-10-2007, 17:17
you could use the black maul (60 pts) + 2 str and makes the model frenzied. (perfect) because u still get to use your high int. unlike using a great weapon. so you could run him with a unit of khorne knights still and get alot of benefits

randomkrazy
17-10-2007, 17:20
one problem tho is against shooting.. your minotaurs and your juggy will get shot to hell before they reach the enemy lines against a shooty army.. so be careful of that
im guessing your putting hounds across the board in front of all of your units? careful units like enemy knights dont charge ur screens and overrun into your other things

MarcoPollo
17-10-2007, 17:52
Well you'll have to play in waves. The chariots will be slow, but you can positon them to protect flanks quite easy. I still think you need str 7. drop a unit of dogs and a knight unit and find 2 more points, and get a unit of 3 dragon ogres with great weapons. At st7 m7 and 4 wounds these are monsters indeed. Plus your juggy can join the DO, to set up a real nasty shock troop.

Belerophon709
17-10-2007, 18:12
Well you'll have to play in waves. The chariots will be slow, but you can positon them to protect flanks quite easy. I still think you need str 7. drop a unit of dogs and a knight unit and find 2 more points, and get a unit of 3 dragon ogres with great weapons. At st7 m7 and 4 wounds these are monsters indeed. Plus your juggy can join the DO, to set up a real nasty shock troop.

Dragon Ogres are beast-units. A mortal character on a juggy doesn't count as one, so he can't join them.

Or are you talking "tagging along beside them"?

theDarkGeneral
17-10-2007, 19:06
Actually, Dragon Ogres aren't Beast Units, but are simply from the Beasts of Chaos Book. Same to is true for Minotaurs, Centigors, Chaos Ogres and Chaos Trolls, of which both Beasts of Chaos and Mortal Characters may join them. So the Khorne character riding a Juggernaut may join a unit of Dragon Ogres...I do this quite a bit myself!

MarcoPollo
18-10-2007, 05:30
Well said tDG. I find that I forget about this aspect when writing up lists. But, if you use a common set of marks on your units (khorne in this case) your exalted can rip it up and be versatile in the process.

radbug
18-10-2007, 06:33
Actually, Dragon Ogres aren't Beast Units, but are simply from the Beasts of Chaos Book. Same to is true for Minotaurs, Centigors, Chaos Ogres and Chaos Trolls, of which both Beasts of Chaos and Mortal Characters may join them. So the Khorne character riding a Juggernaut may join a unit of Dragon Ogres...I do this quite a bit myself!

Where is this stated? I have read that only spawns are considered to be beast and mortal and demonic, all other troops are part of the "class" from which book they appear, so all things in the chaos beast book is considered beasts. Why would dragon ogres and centigors that are from the chaos beast book not be considered to be beasts? They cant ambush but that is no reason for them not to be considered beasts.

/R

gerrymander61
18-10-2007, 10:39
Only units under the section 'Beast Units' are beasts, much like Spawn are neither Mortal nor Daemon nor Beast, they're just wholly abominations, that's all.

I don't really see how he could do a 'wave' with the sole chariot. Maybe with 2 it would make sense but right now hes just got one lone chariot lagging behind the rest of his army. Chariots work well at supporting infantry, but in a fast list like this they're a little out of place.

theDarkGeneral
18-10-2007, 16:35
page 49
Special Note: 'Beast of Chaos units' refers to all units in this army list. "beast units' refers to those in the Beast category.

page 50
MIXING CHARACTERS

second paragraph...
Daemonic units can never be joined by a non-Daemonic character, and a Daemonic character can never join non-Daemonic units.

third paragraph...
The Human (or near-human!) followers of the Choas gods have a tendency to look down upon the most brutal beasts and creatures. Though a unit of Knights of Chaos may find common cuase with a Beastlord, they would not consider him their master, adn similarly, a Chaos Champion who has Beastmen in his retinue would deem their company beneath him. For these reasons, a Beast character cannot join Mortal units and Mortal characters cannot join Beast units. They do, however, benefit from the General's Leadership and the presence of a Battle Standard as normal.

pages 54 and 55...

Beast Units
This is the Beast Herd, Bestigor Herd, Tuskgor Chariot and Warhounds of Chaos (with Ambush).

pages 56 and 57....

Special Units

Here's where Chaos Trolls, Chaos Ogres, Centigors and Minotaurs are listed.

pages 58 and 59....

Rare Units

And this section has Dragon Ogres, Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, the Chaos Giant, Spawn of Chaos and Dogs of War.

radbug
19-10-2007, 06:22
Are you sure about the warhounds? They are in the mortal section of the hordes of chaos book.

/R

eleveninches
19-10-2007, 10:54
They are listed in the beast section of the beasts armybook and the mortal section of the hordes armybook

Chris_Tzeentch
19-10-2007, 11:27
page 49
Special Note: 'Beast of Chaos units' refers to all units in this army list. "beast units' refers to those in the Beast category.

page 50
MIXING CHARACTERS

second paragraph...
Daemonic units can never be joined by a non-Daemonic character, and a Daemonic character can never join non-Daemonic units.

third paragraph...
The Human (or near-human!) followers of the Choas gods have a tendency to look down upon the most brutal beasts and creatures. Though a unit of Knights of Chaos may find common cuase with a Beastlord, they would not consider him their master, adn similarly, a Chaos Champion who has Beastmen in his retinue would deem their company beneath him. For these reasons, a Beast character cannot join Mortal units and Mortal characters cannot join Beast units. They do, however, benefit from the General's Leadership and the presence of a Battle Standard as normal.

pages 54 and 55...

Beast Units
This is the Beast Herd, Bestigor Herd, Tuskgor Chariot and Warhounds of Chaos (with Ambush).

pages 56 and 57....

Special Units

Here's where Chaos Trolls, Chaos Ogres, Centigors and Minotaurs are listed.

pages 58 and 59....

Rare Units

And this section has Dragon Ogres, Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, the Chaos Giant, Spawn of Chaos and Dogs of War.

Unbelievable! I had totally missed this - I can have mounted characters running around with Centigor now! And army standards! Cool or what?

I need to have a total rethink of my Chaos army.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Chris_Tzeentch
19-10-2007, 11:32
They are listed in the beast section of the beasts armybook and the mortal section of the hordes armybook

And these are treated differently in the respective chaos books - beast chaos hounds get ambush, mortal hounds don't - i think the points cost remains the same however.

MarcoPollo
19-10-2007, 15:38
Yes it is a very small detail, that really has little impact on army selection. If you run a beast army then the warhounds do not count as special and can ambush. If you run a mortal army, warhounds do not count as special and cannot ambush. But if you run a beast army and use a warhound unit to house a mortal character, then that warhound unit is not a beast unit, and must be taken as a special slot.

In other words, if you are counting warhounds for ambush (beast) purposes, then you better not be putting mortal characters in them during the game.

chaos-nightwing
22-10-2007, 09:53
Hallo. I think u need chariot with mok. and most importantly-marauders (35 of them with shield and light armour, use of winning combat resolution[out number and 3 extra rank])! if ur army faces wood elf with killing blow, they will shot all ur knights down in no time. it is good to have knights but i think two units of 5 each will be good (with MOK). make one of them chosen if u wantand and give both at least standard and musician. put two aspiring champ with shield, mok, and chaos steed and put them in the units of knights. also having a lord wont be bad. like a daemon prince with mok, armour of khorne, might of khorne and other bits and pieces u think nessacsary (sorry, im not born here, not good at spelling). than protect ur prince with furies (10 should be good) from long range attack or maggic missils (use furies to block line of sight). let the furies be 6" with the prince so they can use his LD when LD test required. have 3 unit of 6 hounds instead of 4 units of 5. use two unit to be in front of the knight to block line of sight. protect them for one term of shooting, etc. use the hound as flanking can also be useful. Marouders hoursemen are good too. fast cavalry and give them shield and throwing spears or axes to go around any close combat units and shoot them, really anoying. also use them as flank or rear, or other uses which are state in the white drafe this month. again have 2 unit of flesh hounds of 6 or 7 instead of 5. a unit below unitstrangth of 5 isnt much use, cant do any flank or such, easily run away, cannot capture anything, etc. war hounds can be use to protect flesh hounds too in a combat. uses chariot or chariots to charge at the enemy's archers,etc bc they are too tough to be wounded and have 3+ armour save. try and make a list out of the above info and try it out. it should be good. luck!

logan054
22-10-2007, 11:06
- Personally i dont think you need 3 heros, 2 is more than enough in a khorne army with these points first thing i would do is give one exalted AoD, i would also swa the halberds for flails

- I think banner of rage is abit wasted, its better on warriors, i think i would add a champion to both units lead by heros, this gives you some challenge protection allowing all them nice strength 7 attacks to hit the units rather than a crappy champion

- I would also make one of the knights (the one with out a hero, its only 60 points, ok, thats 90pts used now)

- drop one of these for a unit of furies, these can take out them cannons before they do to much damage, also you have less frenzy to worry about. I would also consider swapping the other unit for marauders with flails.