PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse units in standard games of 40K

kairous
11-10-2007, 14:09
Ok, in the apocalypse rulebook, it says that in standard games of 40k, you would use the forge world rules when using things like a titan, etc, but in apocalypse games you use the apocalypse rules, but you can use the FW ones if you want, OK, this bit i get, heres the bit im curious about.
Can we use apocalypse units in 40k standard games, for example like the plaguereaper or brass scorpion, if you can use them how would it work, would you just pay the apocalypse value, and then use the FOC choice that it takes up from the FW for being a baneblade, so a plaguereaper would take up however many HS choices a baneblade would take (if it falls in that section?), and does that mean that for the brass scorpion, would it take up one heavy choice?
Any help with this would rock,as im a bit confused about this,and i can't find an answer in the book.
If this is in the wrong forum, could it please be moved not deleted, as i would be interested in an answer of some sort.:p
Thanks guys.

ehlijen
11-10-2007, 14:21
Using apocalypse units in 40k is sufficiently far enough outside the box of "we meant to make the rules for that" that discussion with your opponent is required for mutual enjoyment. Not only as to whether it is allowed but also how to best do it.

A baneblade isn't acutally a heavy support choice, and neither is a brass scorpion. Both or significantly more powerful and different from any other HS choice in the available armies. My best suggestion would be: both sides play a 1500 point army (or whatever value) and then add one superheavy. The side with less points then gets to make it up with some additional troops.

There are no set rules for this, so it's up to you to make up some fair ones (though I'd say no to that unless it was a special scenario as such destructive units aren't meant for smaller games).

Dren Krelar
11-10-2007, 14:34
Super-heavies are a little too powerful for regular games, but something like the Terminus Land Raider might be a little more acceptable IMO.

I personally wouldn't mind playing against the less powerfull units in a regular game.

Hellebore
11-10-2007, 14:38
Anything not played at a tournament is subject to whatever rules and/or ideas you and your opponents decide.

You obviously can't just show up with a warlord titan to a regular game, but I for one am not letting the 3000pt minimum get in the way of an awesome gaming experience.

How cool would it be to use a special scenario where a crack unit is infiltrating to take out a defence laser, or destroying an ammo depo before the baneblade gets back and rearms?

All we need is a little energon, and a lot of luck. :cool:

Hellebore

EarlGrey
11-10-2007, 15:44

I love you, Optimus Prime.

Using Apocalypse units, certainly the formations, shouldn't be much of a problem if you discuss with your opponent first.
They actually lend themselves quite well to small scenarios. Have a Baneblade or 2 run a gauntlet through a city perhaps.
Stuff like Hellbore already suggested. :)

What I thought would be cool is to have a number of small skirmishes where the results determine what forces you have and strategic assets are available for a big "end game" battle.
Taking out an airfield will hinder the enemy's aircraft in some way (or neutralise them altogether). Perhaps a bit campaign like...

Oooh, cool idea I just had. A Guard strong-point with loads of tanks lined up, but unmanned. Enemy launches a surprise attack, Guard them have to rush from their quarters to the tanks...

The Song of Spears
11-10-2007, 16:42
Earlgrey and Hellbore, you both are being too clever for this game. Go hang you heads in shame for not conforming to the standard tournament rules of play. ;)

Sounds great to me. We have used dawn of war style missions (and such from other similar games) plenty of times for lots of fun.

Think of the last scene in Saving Private Ryan, where they had to turn a 60 ton tank into a 60 ton roadblock with 'sticky bombs' before it made it to the bridge.

With the CoD rules and a few big tanks, it was a LOT of fun running IG guys around to try and accomplish this. :D

The pestilent 1
11-10-2007, 16:52

Cos THAT went well didn't it :p

Edit:
Hmmm. I wonder if Megatron would transform into a Baneblade...

kairous
12-10-2007, 17:50
Hmmm. I wonder if Megatron would transform into a Baneblade...

Armada megatron did.

Thanks for the input guys, the whole asking opponents permission or using those units or formations for a special scenario or game, doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, in fact it makes a whole lot of sense really, should have considered that option myself.
Thanks again guys, given me something to think about, and put my troubled mind at ease(well for now anyway.............................:eek:BOO:eek:)

Earthbeard
12-10-2007, 17:56
Anything not played at a tournament is subject to whatever rules and/or ideas you and your opponents decide.

You obviously can't just show up with a warlord titan to a regular game, but I for one am not letting the 3000pt minimum get in the way of an awesome gaming experience.

How cool would it be to use a special scenario where a crack unit is infiltrating to take out a defence laser, or destroying an ammo depo before the baneblade gets back and rearms?

Hellebore

Couldn't agree more.