PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Lag while playing game.

Boondock Saint
04-09-2005, 19:58
Alright, I know I have covered this before, but I have never quite gotten an answer that I needed, nor has anyone actually taken the time to help me.

Here is the deal, when I play counter-strike, it works great for about 10 minutes, no lag, no slow downs, no hitches EVER. Then after aout that 8-10 minute mark I get nailed by a huge lag spike... and although it still, for me, shows a ping of around 30-60 I imagine the lag is equivalent to about 4000-5000 (thats not a joke). This will last for about 1 - 2 minutes then it will work fine again. But once it first hits, there will be more, and they come quicker.

Now, what I did was put CS into a window, and then monitor my system through the Windows Task Manager. What I get is that every time the lag spikes happen , for some reason the System (there are two processes, the System and the System Idle Process) jacks up to about 97-99% where it is usually around < 15% while playing games.

Now, before you go off about how I need more memory, system, etc... thats not it, I have 640 MB of RAM and a fairly new computer. The only thing I can think of is that my Graphics card (GeForce4 4200 Go) is a total piece of ****. But before I reformatted my computer the first time it worked absolutely fine with CS, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, etc...

I don't know what the **** to do now. Someone please help.

Freak Ona Leash
04-09-2005, 20:01
Get a better game than Counter-****? And go to the Computer Games forum maybe...

Boondock Saint
04-09-2005, 20:04
Well, before everyone starts spewing their OMG BATTLEFIELD 2 ********** RULES!!!!11 ********, no, I am not going to go out and buy that goddamn game, just so everytime I run someone steps in front of my tank I can get killed for TK'ing. That and I love CS too much.

Freak Ona Leash
04-09-2005, 20:09
Ew, I hate BF 2 and Counter ****. BF 2 was all "Luk at me u fags!!111!!!1 I cn fli!!1111!!1" and CS is all "U all hax!!!111!!!11 Fags!" And about your problem, I honestly dont know what to do. Get a new graphics card I guess...

Sojourner
04-09-2005, 20:20
Spyware. Do scans with several different progs. If that doesn't work, check the task manager and keep stopping processes until something breaks.

Cheesejoff
04-09-2005, 20:23
Make sure your anti-virus isn't set to automatically update. Also make sure your firewall is allowing the game to run fully. Apart from that, I don't really know.

Oh, and stop saying that CS and BF2 are filled with noobs, you noobs.

Freak Ona Leash
04-09-2005, 20:56
Make sure your anti-virus isn't set to automatically update. Also make sure your firewall is allowing the game to run fully. Apart from that, I don't really know.

Oh, and stop saying that CS and BF2 are filled with noobs, you noobs.
All computer games are filled with Noobs. Noob. :p

Kargos Bloodspit
04-09-2005, 21:07
Just a suggestion, if you're on Win Xp and you've got multiple accounts, check that theres nobody else signed in, thats one hell of a lag creator, though it's only visible on your computer. If its not getting picked up by the Pinger in CS (or whatever game it is) it'll be processes clogging up your processor cycles (it even happens on my 3.2Ghz desktop [which you would think was impossible...]). Just press Ctrl+alt+delete when the lag comes on, go into the processes tab, click on the Mem. Usage heading (to sort it in descending order), and have a look through...

Either that or download hijackthis and let us see the log it creates..

Spyware. Do scans with several different progs. If that doesn't work, check the task manager and keep stopping processes until something breaks.

great Philosophy there.... i'd of googled it first and checked what it was but hey... if the caveman approach to computing works, im all for it.