PDA

View Full Version : Orcs and Crossbows?!

Etienne de Beaugard
11-10-2007, 15:23
When Mordheim was first concieved, Orcs were able to take crossbows in their standard army. Since then crossbows were dropped from the standard O&G options (not counting RoR). Should a change to mirror this be made in Mordheim.

Personnally, I'd drop the crossbows. Orcs are supposed to be tough, crude and generally wanting a good toe-to-toe slugfest. The crossbow seems out of character for the warband. Dropping the option, will weaken the band a bit, but I've always seen the T4 orcs as one of the power warbands anyways.

What do folks think?

unwanted
11-10-2007, 16:08
I allways liked crossbows on Orcs (and in general), though I can see your point. I'm mostly for them staying though, even if my Orcs won't be seeing any crossbows any time soon...

Ethlorien
11-10-2007, 16:43
I've always liked orcs with crossbows. Gives them the look of a more worldly travelled orc, something you'd expect to find in the Cursed City. Look at the Dogs of War, they have Ruglud and his crew. I see Mordheim orcs in much the same way.

Ethlorien

bankofmarienburghs
14-10-2007, 15:55
No reason to change them. They are adequate for Mordheim.

StefDa
14-10-2007, 18:47
In my club, an Orc with a crossbow is an unmentionable thing. Many a gamer has voluntarily routed (before suffering 25%/2 models, even before the game started!).

We had a multiplayer game. The first die rolled in the game was an Orc captain taking a pod-shot at a high-level Vampire. Hitting. Wounding. Critital. Dead Vampire. Which survived, but you get the point.

Count Sinister
15-10-2007, 18:39
An orc would use a crossbow for the same reason it uses a choppa - it's big, and does a lot of damage. It's not subtle, or precise, and it doesn't need much skill or training. What else is an orc wyrdstone-hunter really going to care about?

Daredhnu
15-10-2007, 20:15
well it does require skill to both make and maintain a crossbow and although an orc would probably have just taken it from someone he killed he still needs the proper skills to keep the crossbow working. and that makes it a little unlikely for an orc to have a crossbow.

but it's still a cool model so who cares?

StefDa
15-10-2007, 20:46
After my cousin's Orc captain had slain the Vampire, he promptly cut the weapon off it's right hand, and replaced it with a human crossbow (which is incredibly tiny in a plastic Black Orc's hand, mind you!).

Etienne de Beaugard
16-10-2007, 02:42
An orc would use a crossbow for the same reason it uses a choppa - it's big, and does a lot of damage. It's not subtle, or precise, and it doesn't need much skill or training. What else is an orc wyrdstone-hunter really going to care about?

Actually, crossbows are very precise, fairly easy to learn and master, but require quite a bit of tinkering to keep in top shooting form.

And if being effective is the only qualifier for a race having a given weapon, then every race should have access to every weapon.

From a fluff perspective, Orcs are a 'bow' race. While they might encounter crossbows in mordheim, one of their characters can become a missile weapons expert and start playing with new toys that way. Getting a skill to expand a characters capabilities seems a better way to demonstrate they are worldly.

As to pretty models... I always liked the Skaven Jezzail model. I think Skaven should have hunting rifles available as standard equipment.

Daredhnu
16-10-2007, 07:31
i have no problems with skaven getting hunting rifles always wanted one myself too :evilgrin:

StefDa
17-10-2007, 09:52
I think Skaven should have hunting rifles available as standard equipment.

What a coincidence, that's what I think about my Carnival of Chaos :D

Etienne de Beaugard
17-10-2007, 13:43
What a coincidence, that's what I think about my Carnival of Chaos :D

I suspect everyone would agree that any warband would look cooler and more 'worldly' with the addition of some serious firepower. Cool models should not be a justification for a rule.

StefDa
17-10-2007, 15:18
It was a joke.

Etienne de Beaugard
17-10-2007, 21:14
I know, but I wanted to make sure you understood I was joking as well. I need to use more smilies don't ?

WarbossKurgan
01-11-2007, 15:38
There are lots of things that seem outdated in Mordheim since the new edition of Warhammer: Animosity, Bretonnian Prayers, and Pistols for example. But changing the Mordheim rules to match Warhammer is not a good idea since Mordheim is based on 5th edition Warhammer rules. You would be taking the new rules out of their context and it could cause all sorts of unbalancing effects. Better to leave Mordheim as a separate game.

Besides, you wouldn't expect Necromunda players to change rules that were based on 2nd edition WH40K to match the current 4th edition!

ChaosTicket
03-02-2008, 19:29
Orcs with bows shows that they are limited in ability. Orcs armies consists hundreds-thousands of orcs using nothing more than branches with cords as bows. Many imaginative orc generals would like to have a more personal guard armed with heavy armor and crossbows.

In game all goblins are assumed to be Night Goblins and orcs are assumed to be mountain orcs, not nomad orcs that need to keep moving, so xbows are ok.

Grimgor used to have a personal guard with heavy armor and crossbows, but they Axed(pun intended) that list after the campaign was over.

If you can afford crossbows for even half your orc warband you will devastate. Archer orcs with xbows and melee orcs with bows works very well.

Inquisitor Konig
04-02-2008, 05:55
An Ork's favorite weapon is one he stole and didnt have to work very hard to get it. Orks pretty much get to use anything simple. I mean it isnt like they are playing with Black Powder.

Col. Dash
05-02-2008, 02:53
I wasnt aware they change lists still. My Orcs have been using the Town Cryer rules which still has crossbows listed. Any other changes I might need to be aware of? What site has updated rules for them?

ChaosTicket
05-02-2008, 03:18
Orcs should have a few things as standard such as regiments of orcs with Crossbows and heavy armor as elites.

Crossbows are little more difficult to make than bows, orcs can make them, they just don't want to as they want to charge, which bows allow, crossbows don't.

There is a danger that those orcs will fire on your comrades, so it's generally better to have bows and axes before crossbows.