PDA

View Full Version : Humans within the Tau Empire

Witchfire
11-10-2007, 16:09
how do the two races interact within the culture, for example- do tau and human infants and teenagers go to the same schools? can humans and tau form loving relationships with eachother? and how much freedom do members of the soceity receive- i.e- do men have less privileges than tau, and do vespid or kroot have less than humans or vica versa.

the social apects of tau and human interaction interests me greatly.

thanks for any help! :)

Bregalad
11-10-2007, 16:19
As said in other threads, not much is known, so you must interpret the hints according to your own vision of Tau, either as the goodies truely believing in the "Greater Good" or as the Soviet-Nazis with a better PR.

But read the novel "For the Emperor" or, to a lesser degree, Imperial Armour 3, that describe Tau-human interaction a bit. BTW, I think that planets with a combined Tau/human population are very rare, as Tau normally only send administrators to human planets (although currently the Apocalypse interactive campaign suggest one planet with combined population). Given the different culture, language and biology, I guess interaction is less than between a China Town and the rest of a US city.

Quentin
11-10-2007, 16:52
Kronus in DoW : Dark Crusade had a mixed Tau/Human population as well, I believe.

My own personal view of Human and Tau interaction within the Tau Empire differ's depending on how long the assimilated human society has existed within the Tau sphere of influence.

If the society has had at least three generations worth of children born under Tau rule, then the human colony is treated like any true-blooded Tau society, with full access to technology, goods and services. Gue'vesa recruited from these settlements can be used as front-line troops, but are usually left to a militia role.

However, if the human society in question has just recently been integrated into the Tau Empire, then I imagine that interaction between Human and Tau would be more akin to Nazi occupation of Europe. Note: I do not believe Tau are either Nazi's nor Communists!
Humans will continue to live within thier own communities much like they did before, except they will be under a system akin to military dictatorship. Basic Tau technology will be slowly introduced. The Imperial Cult will be suppressed, with Ecclesiarchical elements watched very closely and quietly eliminated if they incite rebellion.
Imperial Guardsmen and local PDF soldiers who surrendered to the Tau will be recruited as Gue'vesa militia forces, who's duty will be to not only protect thier communities from external threat (e.g Feral Orks), but also to enforce law and order. Militia forces will be commanded by Human officer's, but they will be answerable to a Tau command structure. Militia will also be restricted to locally-produced firearms such as the Lasgun and a small supply of Pulse Rifles and Carbines. Militia vehicles will be restricted to Piranhas and other light skimmers.
Local Human industry will operate under a tithe system similiar to the old Imperial system.
These human's will largely be regarded as vassal's within the Empire, until they learn to forget thier Emperor embrace the Greater Good, at which point they will be welcomed with open arms as full Tau citizens.

Due to the Ethereals position on inter-caste reproductive relations, I imagine that Human's will not be able to mate with any other Tau Caste members, being very much a Caste unto themselves.

Imperialis_Dominatus
11-10-2007, 17:48
Wasn't there also something in that campaign about the filthy xe... I mean Tau sterilizing the human populations?

LordXaras
11-10-2007, 18:01
I envision Tau expansion doctrine to be as such:
1) Discover a useful world.
2) Establish propaganda
3) Conquer planet
4) Pacify existing population
5) Welcome existing population into the Empire
6) Use existing population as workforce to keep local order and production up, while continuously moving more and more Tau to the planet.
7) Eliminate pre-existing population when Tau presence is strong enough to maintain production levels.
8) Go to #1

In-game, the Tau have been actors on the Galactic stage for only a few years, why we haven't seen any of the later stages (though some have been tried on sample populations, such as Kronus, where the human population was sterilized as per stage #7).

The Tau aren't nice guys - they seek to expand under the guise of being nice though. All other races in their Empire are lesser beings than their Tau masters, used only when their respective specialties are momentarily useful to the Empire.

Kymar
11-10-2007, 18:11
Wasn't there also something in that campaign about the filthy xe... I mean Tau sterilizing the human populations?

in DoW if you finished the campaign mode as Tau they tell a story of how the human population is segregated and pushed aside by the Tau as second class citizens: Really nothing more then Vagrants and Beggars.

Now that is just DoW and they don't mention human auxillaries at so take it all with a grain of salt.

Mr Zephy
11-10-2007, 18:30
2) Establish propaganda
3) Conquer planet
6) Use existing population as workforce to keep local order and production up, while continuously moving more and more Tau to the planet.
7) Eliminate pre-existing population when Tau presence is strong enough to maintain production levels.
8) Go to #1

In-game, the Tau have been actors on the Galactic stage for only a few years, why we haven't seen any of the later stages (though some have been tried on sample populations, such as Kronus, where the human population was sterilized as per stage #7).

The Tau aren't nice guys - they seek to expand under the guise of being nice though. All other races in their Empire are lesser beings than their Tau masters, used only when their respective specialties are momentarily useful to the Empire.

See, i think that this idea is completely wrong, for one main reason: the etherials. They use the other tau castes to expand the empire, they use other species to expand the empire, they fight only to defend and expand the empire.

In effect, it's etherials with everyone else below them, ordered by usefulness.

Witchfire
11-10-2007, 18:53

2) Establish propaganda
3) Conquer planet
8) Go to #1

in DoW if you finished the campaign mode as Tau they tell a story of how the human population is segregated and pushed aside by the Tau as second class citizens: Really nothing more then Vagrants and Beggars.

Now that is just DoW and they don't mention human auxillaries at so take it all with a grain of salt.

if this is correct then tau are the real evil race of 40k, not as much so as chaos but worse than necrons

Quentin
11-10-2007, 19:20
Aww crap. I just watched the ending of DoW for Tau on 'Tube. I hadn't quite finished the campaign, but I had to see this for myself. Dammit this completely changes my view on the Tau. They are *******' Nazi's!

I suppose I should only take it with a pinch of salt. It is DoW.

And I suppose it was naive of me to think Tau were that humane... It's 40K after all. Everyone's *******' evil.

Is there any more supporting fluff for this sterilization plan?

Witchfire
11-10-2007, 19:31
Aww crap. I just watched the ending of DoW for Tau on 'Tube. I hadn't quite finished the campaign, but I had to see this for myself. Dammit this completely changes my view on the Tau. They are *******' Nazi's!

I suppose I should only take it with a pinch of salt. It is DoW.

And I suppose it was naive of me to think Tau were that humane... It's 40K after all. Everyone's *******' evil.

Is there any more supporting fluff for this sterilization plan?

i dunno but i'm gonna grab my necrons and go tau killing

Quentin
11-10-2007, 19:38
i dunno but i'm gonna grab my necrons and go tau killing

:mad: I'm with you bro! Company... Advance!!!

*Chimera's rumble down the road, off to exterminate the Xenos*

Furtive Noise
11-10-2007, 19:43
Keep in mind in DOW you had a populace that was seemingly under tau control go into armed rebellion and whipped into a frenzy as Imperial forces land on the planet. Methods to suppress them are going to be much more harsh than in regards to other tau ruled human communities, even other humans that have put up a resistance once. After all, these ones were educated in 'the greater good' and rejected it. Even so, the video does show some gue'vasa human auxilliaries trained. I think it gells well with tau fluff and would only shock those who view them as very altruistic and idealized.

I don't agree with whoever suggested that tau normally eliminate populations to bring in their own people- if only for practical reasons they need workforce populations of other species to keep the empire growing, there's not really all that many tau in the galaxy compared to other races. They'll slowly accept others into their society, but always as second class citizens, and I think most fluff confirms this.

Witchfire
11-10-2007, 19:54
Keep in mind in DOW you had a populace that was seemingly under tau control go into armed rebellion and whipped into a frenzy as Imperial forces land on the planet. Methods to suppress them are going to be much more harsh than in regards to other tau ruled human communities, even other humans that have put up a resistance once. After all, these ones were educated in 'the greater good' and rejected it. Even so, the video does show some gue'vasa human auxilliaries trained. I think it gells well with tau fluff and would only shock those who view them as very altruistic and idealized.

I don't agree with whoever suggested that tau normally eliminate populations to bring in their own people- if only for practical reasons they need workforce populations of other species to keep the empire growing, there's not really all that many tau in the galaxy compared to other races. They'll slowly accept others into their society, but always as second class citizens, and I think most fluff confirms this.

and the kronus tau were from the bastards of the third sphere who are much harsher

Bregalad
11-10-2007, 21:10
I have just played "Resident Evil". It completely changes my view on the human society: Freaking Nazis! ;)
Did the video mention that Kronos was a Tau planet invaded by humans? No? They must have missed to mention that! :)

Back to topic: Official fluff does not support all your ideas of military dictatorship, holocaust, elimination of indigenous population and such things, on the contrary:

In contrast to other races, we wanted the Tau to be altruistic and idealistic, believing heartily in unification as the way forward. This meant that they would happily incorporate other races into their empire without subjugating them, instead enticing them in with the benefits of mutual protection, trade and technology. This set the Tau up superbly for having a close relationship with the Kroot.

On the other hand, Tau are technologically advanced and developing fast. Few other races in the Tau Empire can understand the high tech equipment. Or would you trust a human praying to the machine spirit to drive a hammerhead? Even IF he can understand the Tau language?

The Tau Empire is not that centralized as most of you think. Even IF the Tau were some super Space Nazis, they are not numerous enough to subjugate the whole sector (and fluff confirms that they don't do that).

Quentin
11-10-2007, 21:27
I have just played "Resident Evil". It completely changes my view on the human society: Freaking Nazis! ;)
Did the video mention that Kronos was a Tau planet invaded by humans? No? They must have missed to mention that! :)

Did you even play DoW? It was originally an Imperial Planet, then after a while it was ignored by the Imperium until Gen. Lukas Alexander pursued Farseer Taldeer there and discovered various AdMech artifacts. During the intervening time, the Tau had colonised it, living alongside indigenous humans.

Also, the Tau force's in question where elite troops direct from T'au. I don't think they'd have started this little sterilization program without the Ethereal's knowing and consenting.

Witchfire
11-10-2007, 21:39

Back to topic: Official fluff does not support all your ideas of military dictatorship, holocaust, elimination of indigenous population and such things, on the contrary:

On the other hand, Tau are technologically advanced and developing fast. Few other races in the Tau Empire can understand the high tech equipment. Or would you trust a human praying to the machine spirit to drive a hammerhead? Even IF he can understand the Tau language?

The Tau Empire is not that centralized as most of you think. Even IF the Tau were some super Space Nazis, they are not numerous enough to subjugate the whole sector (and fluff confirms that they don't do that).

Did you even play DoW? It was originally an Imperial Planet, then after a while it was ignored by the Imperium until Gen. Lukas Alexander pursued Farseer Taldeer there and discovered various AdMech artifacts. During the intervening time, the Tau had colonised it, living alongside indigenous humans.

Also, the Tau force's in question where elite troops direct from T'au. I don't think they'd have started this little sterilization program without the Ethereal's knowing and consenting.

youre both wrong- it was a necron tomb world before the humans and tau had even evolved :chrome:

you got owned!

Bregalad
11-10-2007, 21:40
1.) Yes, I played it, but only the Tau campaign, but not yet until the end. So you confirm that it is a Tau colonized planet. Thanks! You even confirm that they piecefully live side by side with humans. Excellent!
2.) At the end of the campaign, the Imperial story teller forwards several theories, why the human population decreases. ONE of them is his wild speculation of a sterilization program. And no, official fluff does not support this speculation.

Deadnight
11-10-2007, 21:48
dawn of war =/= fluff.

try this:

CLEANSE THE XENOS +++vidslug activated+++
+++Commentary/txt only. Encrypted+++
++++Input Authorisation++++
++Authorisation Accepted++
++ The following record was made from illegal las-line transmissions in the Slide underhive sector of Monrovia hive, Jakart IV.
+++Tracking 0001-0008. No image, voiceover only.++++
"Hello friend, I know you're probably taking a risk watching this if the
Imperium's anything like I remember it,"
+++ Voiceover ident:
Private 893478JH728.
Slovaz, Jerakim. 18th Brimlock Dragoons regt. Listed MIA in the Damocles
crusade.++
"So I'll be brief"
+++ Tracking
0008-0016.
Panning shot moves across a landscape of rolling green hills and a cloudless blue sky, ending on an obviously alien-bull compound comprising four geodesic buildings, a generator plant and a drilling derrick. Image evaluation indicates three concealed observation posts on the surrounding hilltops, no personnel are visible.
"I've been asked to tell you something about the Tau."
+++ Notes: The outpost shown is somewhere with a g-type star, spectrographic analysis gives a 72.4% possibility that it is AZ 34.2 on the edge of the Damocles gulf. We know this is what the Tau call a second phase colony world, basically a mechanised mining and ore extraction facility with a Fir-e Warrior garrison and a handful of non-combatant engineers. We've seen this piece used in propaganda before, vibrant azure sky and lush green hills makes good copy apparently.+++
"This is probably about the most you've seen of the Tau."
+++ Tracking 0017-0022. Rapid cut to skirmish line of twenty-four alien warriors with energy weapons firing downhill into a charging mob of Orks. Seventeen Orks are felled from 0017- 0020. From 0021-0022 the surviving Orks turn and flee.+++
+++Tracking 0023-0027. Rapid cut to night shot of three large armoured figures dropping from an aerial vehicle using jet packs. The darkness behind them is cut by fire-trails indicating massed missile salvoes. Underlighting is apparent from ground detonations. The vehicle is mostly out of shot but the hatch design identifies it as a Manta class missile destroyer. +++
+++ Tracking 0028-0038. Fade to night shot from ground-based position. Eight large armoured figures sweep overhead, pouring energy weapon fire and missiles into three wined buildings mostly hidden by flames and explosions. Scattered las-fire is the only reply, sparking harmlessly off the armoured figures. As the figures land their fire intensifies markedly before stopping as six weaponless Imperial Guardsmen emerge from the ruins with their hands in the air.+++
++ Note: Sure enough these are familiar shots; Fire Warriors pushing back a rushing horde of Orks with disciplined volleys of shots, followed by flame-lit images of Battlesuits swooping down by night and efficiently levelling a hapless platoon of Imperial Guard. I think their Water caste like this one because the Fire Warriors stop firing so smoothly when the last few men throw down their weapons.+++
"Lots of things that prove they're dangerous, devious aliens that'll torture, eat or enslave every human they meet."
+++ Tracking 0038-0047. Cut to free captain trade vessel [ unknown], docked to a Tau orbital structure, planet is not in shot.+++
"But Mankind's been getting that line about aliens for a long time now, and any free captain will tell you it's not always true."
+++ Tracking 0047-0056 This is the gem, the shot fades to Private Slovaz, now in his late sixties but looking hale and well-fed, bronzed by the sun and with a nice friendly smile. He's standing on one of those lush green hills which is now marked out into fields and with several crawlers harvesting grain in the background.
"I was a soldier for the Emperor and went to war with the Tau almost forty years ago. I was lucky and lived, but when the crusade pulled back they couldn't take everyone with them."
+++ Note: This keys with records of the Damocles crusade. Several garrisons could not be withdrawn due to lack of ships or Tau fleet activity. Most likely some were simply forgotten about in the rush to get to Macragge and stop Hive Fleet Behemoth. Private Slovaz doesn't appear bitter or angry when he talks about being left behind, he's probably been well-briefed. +++
"We fought the Tau as we'd been taught, but we couldn't beat them. While their attacks were terrible, they were always honourable with us afterwards; they let us tend our wounded and bury our dead."
+++ Tracking 0056-0064. Slovaz gestures and the shot pans to show sixty four stone eagle headstones on the hilltop in neat rows. +++
"When the time came that we couldn't fight any more they offered us a truce and, because we knew we couldn't serve the Emperor by dying, we took it."
+++ Tracking 0064-0073. Slovaz starts walking down the hill, and a cluster of clean, white buildings comes into view down in the valley. The materials and construction are undoubtedly Tau, but the styling is more reminiscent of a human frontier settlement. Men, women and children can just be identified moving around the buildings.+++
"And what they said to us was that if we wanted this world enough to fight for it we could have it; other humans that needed a place to live could join us and we could make it our own. All that we needed to do was join the Tau empire and they would give us all the help of their technology and their protection."
+++ Tracking 0073-0084. Shot refocuses on Slovaz as he stops and turns, the settlement neatly framed in the background. The smile fades from his face as he suddenly becomes serious. +++
"We told them that we could never renounce the Emperor, the guiding light of Humanity, that to treat with the aliens was to imperil our immortal souls."
+++ Note: He looks deadly serious, voice stress analysis tests say its unlikely he's lying (3.2%) but such things can be faked. Presumably the unit's commissar was no longer able to provide guidance for the men by this point. +++
"They told us we could worship who we pleased, that all we need do was play our part in the Greater Good and our culture would be welcomed into the empire. In the Guard our chances of being able to found a world were about a million to one. The Tau wanted to give this one to us just because we'd fought for it. We would have been insane not to accept."
+++ Tracking 0085-0090. Shot moves into close-up of Slovaz's face, smiling warmly again.+++
"It was the best decision of our lives. Sure, the work has been hard but it's been worth it. We gained an opportunity to breathe life into a new world by meeting the Tau, a more honourable and generous people than any other I've met. So when you hear stories about them, remember what I've said. A lot of people will call me a traitor and a heretic but now you've heard my story you can decide about that for yourself. All I ask is that you think about whether the Tau really are a threat to Humanity, and what's to be gained by fighting with them if they aren't."
+++ Image fades out. Transmission ends. +++
+++ Conclusions: In comparison to other alien attempts this is an extremely sophisticated piece of propaganda. By using a traitor to supply commentary it manages not only to convey the impression of the Tau military might but an advanced, open-minded culture capable of generosity and honour. Assuming that the settlement shown is not an elaborate deception it gives us confirmation of the existence of at least one traitor enclave and implies that there could be several others within Tau space.
Change Imperium for Empire. Change Administratum for Aliens. The trade was as simple as that, from men who have trained to chants of 'suffer not the alien to live'. This heresy must, will, be stamped out before it becomes a Contagion of Unbelief.+++

Now, take it as you will. you can see the humans are well treated, and so on and so forth. and the ad. mech dude commenting on things is just symptomatic of the rank predjudice, and zenophobia ,and paranoia. i find it hard to believe him.

Imperialis_Dominatus
11-10-2007, 22:16
But official fluff supports all forms of speculation as being accepted as relative truth. Re: every single little conspiracy in the fluff. Therefore I reserve the right to see Tau in this light.

But I play Marines, so it's not like I should have any other take on the matter...

"We will fight you, alien. To the last drop of blood we will fight you!"

Remember? :)

Bregalad
11-10-2007, 23:20
But official fluff supports all forms of speculation as being accepted as relative truth. Re: every single little conspiracy in the fluff. Therefore I reserve the right to see Tau in this light.
Okay, so here is my speculation:
Humans are fascinated by Primarchs, because Primarchs have a certain gland implanted by the Emperor to emit pheromones. (Inquisition therefore thinks that all natural authority is based on pheromones; they therefore spread a certain rumour on Tau Ethereals ;) )
Not supported by any official fluff, but who cares, as according to your interpretation, it is relative truth :angel:

@Deadnight: Where is that text from? DoW? FanFiction?

azimaith
11-10-2007, 23:26
Tau are more like space romans than space nazis.

You get the option to join the empire and if you don't they take what they want. Its somewhat more benevolent than mankinds: "You can't join our empire and were going to take what we want and then commit mass genocide with a massive grin on my face because your an alien and I hate you."

Tau aren't "Good" in what we might consider modern ethics, but they're definately better than the Imperium is. If there was a scale of Good to evil (assuming we consider a lack of compassion and mercy evil) then tau are at the very top followed by the rest of the races with the imperium somewhere below tyranids but just above necrons on the scale of evil. Hell even with chaos theres upward advancement. (And i'm not talking chaos marines, were talking Chaos.)

bertcom1
11-10-2007, 23:45

Here it is:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/background/4/

If I remember rightly, it's as old as the first Tau codex.

Invader Nails
12-10-2007, 00:14
Indeed it is.

And just to point something out to the advocates of the Nazi Tau Theorum: Codex: Tau Empire specifically states (in Word of God style, no less) that the Vespids are respected and venerated as partners in the Greater Good. Thus, the Tau obviously don't plan to gradually exterminate every alien species they meet.

They're the Tau, not the bloody Daleks. They are NOT conniving, uber-evil murdermachines. Frankly I don't see why people cling so steadfastly to this notion despite all available evidence being against it.

They are a generally moral race that slides into some fairly heavy moral ambiguity every now and then, like any civilization is bound to do.

Imperialis_Dominatus
12-10-2007, 00:48
Not supported by any official fluff, but who cares, as according to your interpretation, it is relative truth :angel:

It's not MY interpretation :rolleyes:... see the BL not Canon thread. There is no truth, there is no canon, there is no real. It's... stupid, frankly, but it's how GW treats their own universe. And they get all itchy when people break their IP... frankly I find that ironic.

That's another thread though. :p

Invader Nails
12-10-2007, 01:24
I don't think it's stupid at all. In fact, I'm glad that that's their official position, since the quality of writing in the video games and Black Library books is utterly appalling.

Now, what is stupid is hiring such awful writers in the first place.

Nazguire
12-10-2007, 06:56
The Ethereals have some sort of pheromone based control scheme on fellow Tau.
That much is generally considered fact, as their is a lot of evidence. Of course until Games Workshop come out and say "Ethereals control all other Tau through pheremones'' it's not entirely 'fact'.

To what level the Tau Empire is run by pheremones can be worked out through some heavy thinking. I think that the pheremones merely seals the deal and that their obedience is through heavy indoctrination (we've seen ample evidence of propaganda within the Tau Empire)

That the Tau are not squeaky clean is evident. They have moral ambiguity as do all 40k races. They see themselves as the saviour of the galaxy and because of this, have to do whatever they can to 'save' the galaxy. So if you wish to voluntarily submit yourself to Tau rule, then they are happy enough to be around. But if you seem to be a detriment to the 'Greater Good' then God help you.

There are subtle hints about mind control over the Vespid. Of course one can also read this as that the leaders simply liked the idea of joining the Empire. Others can read it that only the Vespid colonies that wanted to join were left alive. Others can read it that there is a secret Tau laboratory with a mind control ray pointed at the planet Vespid. That part is interpretation though it does lend heavily (especially in the way it is presented) to be some type of sinister dealings by the Tau, even if they aren't completely controlling them.

That the Tau have some sort of racism or racial superiority attitudes within their structure is self-evident, if you read the 3rd edition Tau Codex with the short story about the Earth Caste Tau writing to his sister about the Kroot. It reads (to me at least) very Tau Supremacist, and for a species that are meant to be equals, the Kroot have a lot left to gain before they are full citizens (which they aren't, says in the 4th Ed Codex)

So to me, the Tau aren't the goody goodies, the white light of a Galaxy shrouded in darkness as I believe Bregelad makes them out to be. They certainly aren't as xenophobic and genocidal as the Imperium or Eldar (all organisations, Exodite, Craftworld, Kabalite etc) but they have the element of darkness that makes you question whether they are really what it says on the tin.

stormblade
12-10-2007, 07:33
Humans are fascinated by Primarchs, because Primarchs have a certain gland implanted by the Emperor to emit pheromones. (Inquisition therefore thinks that all natural authority is based on pheromones; they therefore spread a certain rumour on Tau Ethereals ;) )

- The text can be found on gw-uk site.

And there is not a hint of your mock-theory in the fluff, the stuff about Tau on the other side....

Nazguire
12-10-2007, 07:37

Whilst that theory is all well and good (the image of Fulgrim or Angron spraying perfume into the air during meal time is amusing) there is no background, either Codex or BL or WD publication or whatever to even bother putting that theory forward.

However it (being the Tau-pheromones-dog like obedience theory) has been hinted at in numerous articles. I'm not saying that the entirety of the Tau Empire has been based on Chanel No. 5 but it has played a part in ensuring the co-operation between the four castes who, previously, wanted to tear out each other's faces off.

Bregalad
12-10-2007, 08:09
The Ethereals have some sort of pheromone based control scheme on fellow Tau.
That much is generally considered fact, as their is a lot of evidence. Of course until Games Workshop come out and say "Ethereals control all other Tau through pheremones'' it's not entirely 'fact'.

To what level the Tau Empire is run by pheremones can be worked out through some heavy thinking. I think that the pheremones merely seals the deal and that their obedience is through heavy indoctrination (we've seen ample evidence of propaganda within the Tau Empire)
Question: Which 40k race is controlled by pheromones?
Answer: That's obvious! The one without noses!:rolleyes:

Nazguire
12-10-2007, 08:14
Question: Which 40k race is controlled by pheromones?
Answer: That's obvious! The one without noses!:rolleyes:

Just because they don't have obvious noses, doesn't mean they don't have a way of breathing, humans can breathe through their mouth so obviously if the Tau don't have noses as you propose, they do it that way too.

Unless of course Tau just don't breathe at all.

And pictures of Fire Warriors indicate slits in their face. Some sort of olfactory senses that aren't recognisable as human noses? Good chance of it considering they aren't human.

Imperialis_Dominatus
12-10-2007, 15:31
Heaven forbid he should be sarcastic. :p

Witchfire
12-10-2007, 15:34
Just because they don't have obvious noses, doesn't mean they don't have a way of breathing, humans can breathe through their mouth so obviously if the Tau don't have noses as you propose, they do it that way too.

Unless of course Tau just don't breathe at all.

And pictures of Fire Warriors indicate slits in their face. Some sort of olfactory senses that aren't recognisable as human noses? Good chance of it considering they aren't human.

i thought tau smell with their tounges.

and i'm sure that the crests are sensory

Progena
12-10-2007, 17:17
Having enemy deserters appear on television proclaiming how wonderful their former enemies and their new home is? Wow, what a totally new and innovative idea! Why hasn't anyone thought of that before? :rolleyes:

Sir Charles
12-10-2007, 17:51
Personnally I think the Tau resemble the colonial powers of Europe during the last century with a bit of an idea of the "Blue mans burden." They think what they are doing is whats best for the unenlightened savages they incounter and those savages need to shape up and an adopt their obviously superior culture. Of course there is nothing saying that they can't use those new groups for their own benefit as well, its just a way for them to pay the Tau back for their gracious guidance.;) I would say though that they are propably a bit more subtle about all this then the colonial powers were historically and probably with a bit more Kippling like in their views on the process then the straight eonomic explotation that appeared historically. So not exactly nice, but well meaning in a misguided way, and still by far nicer than the Imperium or any of the other races.

Keichi246
12-10-2007, 18:40
I think Sir Charles is closer to the "truth" of the matter than most.

The Dawn of War: Dark Crusade narrator seems to have a rather "pro-imperium" viewpoint, if you listen to all his dialog. That does put a bit of doubt on his narration..

Also realize that the events on Kronus were pretty much as close to the deepest Tau nightmare as you can get. Think about it. The Tau had colonized/negotiated/conquered Kronus at some point - living in a relatively peaceful co-existence with the humans (barring some industiral sabotage problems referenced in the "zone" archives). Then the Imperium shows up again - and a large portion of the local humans rise up against the Tau. It is the Mon'Tau come to life - civil disorder on a massive scale. This is something the ENTIRE Tau society is designed to try to avoid.

In the Tau campaign version of events - the Tau win. A percentage of people who accept their role in Tau society bcome valued members of the Tau Empire. (Note the Guardsmen in Tau colors). The rest... Well - they have unlawfully risen up against the Greater Good. They have commited an act that is either a crime or possibly considered insanity in the Tau viewpoint.

Those rogue humans are put in re-education camps. Now - here's the rub. The narrator comments that the human population of the planet declines rapidly - probably due to the single sex nature of the re-education camps - or "possibly" due to a Tau sterilization plan.

I'd lean towards the former; mostly because it is such a Tau thing to do. Think about it. You have a large population of people you are fairly certain are insane by your standards. (After all - they were part of the greater good - reaping it's benefits; yet rose in rebelion when the Imperium invaded). Most insane asylums DON'T let their inmates breed freely; even "modern" human prisons and mental hospitals sharply restrict the reproductive priviledges of their inmates. If 95% of the local population stop breeding, and the local Tau popoulation is increased tremendously by a recolonization effort - then yeah the demographcs are going to shift majorly. You don't need sterilization to do that...

GW has built the Tau background to be slightly more mysterious - mostly due to the hue and cry of many, many ,MANY people who disliked the squeaky clean feel of the Tau in their first codex. Many of the "facts" that people use to point at the "evil" of the Tau have benign explanations as well. It's really easy to cast doubt.

I like my image of the Tau to be pragmatic optimists. They'll try to do thing the least wasteful way possible - avoiding war when they can. But if it has to happen - then they strike hard, fast and deep - to minimize the overall cost - simply because they can't afford massive drawn out wars...

Nazguire
13-10-2007, 01:06
Heaven forbid he should be sarcastic. :p

I missed the sarcasm :p

stormblade
13-10-2007, 10:25
Tau are more like space romans than space nazis.

- You mean they have a lot of space orgies, eat a lot of painfully extravagantly prepared food and have based most of their works of literature on the stuff they stole from the Space Greeks.
:rolleyes:

Imperialis_Dominatus
13-10-2007, 20:45
- You mean they have a lot of space orgies, eat a lot of painfully extravagantly prepared food and have based most of their works of literature on the stuff they stole from the Space Greeks.
:rolleyes:

This explains everything! :p