PDA

View Full Version : Extracting game music (technical challenge!)

CELS
04-09-2005, 22:46
Haha! Grabbed your attention with that intriguing threat title, didn't I? :D

Alright. I've got this old game with some extremely cool music. The game is called Sky Roads, and it rocks. Anyway, I want to get the music from that game as mp3's, so I can listen to the music without playing the game.

How is that possible? Is there a program I can use to record the music or somethin'?

(PS: I'm assuming this isn't illegal since I don't plan to distribute the music, and it's purely for private use)

Kittah
05-09-2005, 06:25
I have fond memories of Sky Roads - brilliant game.

Unfortunately I can't help you, I'm afraid. Good luck though!

Shinobi
05-09-2005, 20:42
Um, maybe finding the files in Program Files, then going to Audio folder if there is one...that's all I can think of.

(Please don't say you don't know how to get to Program Files -.-)

CELS
05-09-2005, 20:44
Don't worry, I think I downloaded the Program Files from the intarweb ;)

Actually, it's a really old game. 320x200 resolution, VGA and sound speaker. Old school. So there's no chance of just extracting this from files.

I have fond memories of Sky Roads - brilliant game.
Unfortunately I can't help you, I'm afraid. Good luck though!
Yeah, it's probably one of the most underrated games out there. Well, stay tuned to this thread and you might enjoy more fond memories as you listen to Sky Roads music on your mp3 player :D

Brother Frog
05-09-2005, 20:47
You can extract music from the old Lucas Arts games, so it may still be possible...

Strictly Commercial
08-09-2005, 09:20
One trick that works sometimes when you can't rip it from Program files is to have your WMP or RP searh for audio media. I've gotten the music from Medieval Total War that way and I've gotten Vampire: Bloodlines music as well. Worth a try.

Cheesejoff
09-09-2005, 18:31
If you can get the source code, that will help. A bit.

Spacemunkie
09-09-2005, 20:01
Use an audio editor like Sound Forge to record it while it plays. In fact you should be able to do it with Sound Recorder...

athamas
09-09-2005, 20:21
cool edit pro, or the newer adobe version has the ability to search your hard drive for all music files, and play them... you can then open them, and save them as MP3's... i know of some one who has done this with monkey island and NWN... used it to pass part of his degree!

CELS
10-09-2005, 00:58
Thanks everyone. I'll try out all your suggestions, starting with the most obvious ones (like Sound Forge), because this is a really old game made by amateurs from Ukraine or Finland or something like that. At any rate, I'm guessing the sound format is just weird.

brynolf
10-09-2005, 12:23
With cooledit, soundforge, wavelab or whatever, you can just record the music while you play. You must, however, select the right input channel for your soundcard. "What you hear", if you have a soundblaster, or "Stereo mix", or whatever it can be if you have another brand.