PDA

View Full Version : The Pub Snacks Thread

Cade
04-09-2005, 22:54
What do you like to eat down the pub?

Twiglets, Cheeslets, Pork Scratchings, Crisps, Hot coated nuts, Nuts....

Let us know what your favourite is and maybe we'll convice every pub in the world to stock the best food!

Yodhrin
04-09-2005, 23:03
What do you like to eat down the pub?

Twiglets, Cheeslets, Pork Scratchings, Crisps, Hot coated nuts, Nuts....

Let us know what your favourite is and maybe we'll convice every pub in the world to stock the best food!

KP Dry Roasted Peanuts. Nothing, and I mean nothing goes with a nice pint of IPA like Dry Roasted Peanuts. Interestingly, I have never tasted Pork Scratchings; either the pub Im in doesnt have them, or Im too drunk to remember to ask for them, heh.

Kohhna
04-09-2005, 23:06
The hot coated nuts are good, thought Pork Scratchings are (were) my personal favourite. I once found a packet I'd lost after about six months. I had a go at them and they tasted EXACTLY the same. Yummy.

N'bel
05-09-2005, 02:27
Fries and gravy, sooooo good

starlight
05-09-2005, 02:28
Have to go with Nachos on this one. A little is a great snack, keep eating and it becomes a meal.

Adept
05-09-2005, 03:32
There are two categories of pub snacks. There are 'off the shelf snacks, like packets of chips or pork scratchings. Then there are the 'from the kitchen' snacks, like hot potato wedges or pizza bites.

My favourite 'shelf' snack is beef jerky. Although, it has to be proper, dried beef jerky. That crap 'smoke flavoured' stuff that comes out of a machine is pure filth.

My favourite 'kitchen' snack would be tiny battered fish fillets. All different kinds of yum!

Alco Engineer
05-09-2005, 03:48
Red Rock deli Sweet chilli and sour cream crisps. they are the $hit. A also love wedges with sour cream and chilli sauce and Yum Cha snacks (i.e. spring rolls etc.)

Sojourner
05-09-2005, 08:31
In all honesty, I wouldn't eat anything that came from the pubs I frequent. Scary thought.

Luke
05-09-2005, 10:33
up our way, (the midlands) some regular favourites include pickled eggs and gherkins and bags of cockles. as well as the usuals, nuts, scratchings and bombay mix.
my old man used to run a pub for 12 years, i was born in a pub and lived in one till i was 8.

true, it was an "old fart" pub but it was ok.

McMullet
05-09-2005, 10:41
I'm a salted peanut man. I have simple tastes.

There's a bloke comes aorund our local flogging seafood, things like cockles and jellied eels (and pepperami for some reason - I suppose it's got as much seafood in it as any other kind of food).

Vaya
05-09-2005, 10:46
Down here the proper bar-food is a tosti. Don't know if you've got that over where y'all reside: it's grated cheese on bread, sometimes with ham. French call it a croque-monsieur.

That said, there's a whiskey/whisky bar downtown who simply have everything: cheese plates, garlic bread, fried shrimps, egg rolls, 'bitterballen' (if you ever decide to visit Holland, try these. But watch out: hot!), etc... Terrible place to go when you're already drunk, because you just keep ordering food.

Luke
05-09-2005, 10:49
oh in terms of pub actual "FOOD" then we have all sorts. sandwiches, hotpot and all manner of grills and steaks etc. i was talkin about snacks. the type old gits slurp their way through over their Nth pint of bass bitter.

Mouldsta
05-09-2005, 11:10
Well it's got to be pork scratchings, just to have that proud look on your face as you happily chomp through a bag while all your (usually female) friends look in disgust and ask "you do know what goes into them?". Followed up by asking them if they'd like a pork scratching :D

Luke
05-09-2005, 11:22
hmm, pork scratchings. not content with actually eating the fat and skin of a pig (no meat on em fellaz) you always get those crispy little hairs poking out from the pores...

yum yum

Cade
05-09-2005, 18:32
I always throw away the hairy ones. The texture is terrible!

Do you lot prefer the small, tough, hard scratchings or the larger, crispier, puffed-up ones?

Luke
05-09-2005, 18:44
oh, im a traditionalist so i go for the little glossy nugget types (hair and all) however, the obscene amount of fat in them plays havoc with my training regime and diet, so i never eat them these days.

Brimstone
05-09-2005, 18:49
Got to be KP Chilli peanuts for me, nuts and a bit of spice always go well with beer.

Can't stand pork scratchings though.

berzerka
05-09-2005, 18:49
Like stated before. If you're in the netherlands try 'bitterballen'. Nothing goes better with beer than 'bitterballen'