PDA

View Full Version : What is the best country ever, besides your own?

Strictly Commercial
05-09-2005, 09:38
Posting a poll on this one would be an exercise in time wasting, but since there's a lot of gab about other countries, my question is what is the best country in history, using any criteria.

My vote is a toss up of course, because China would seem to have the most richly cultured civilizations of all, but then many scholars consider all westerners to be Romans as far as cultural ancestry goes (some also see us as Greeks).

I'm going to vote for an underdog, though, and say Denmark. Any time a country that small develops the reputation for having such powerful warriors and such brave explorers, it's a pretty collossal achievement. I know it's a short period of time compared to the above mentioned civilizations but this is strictly an opinion thread, and no opinion can be wrong (facts that back opinions can be wrong, but opinions themselves can't be).

Kohhna
05-09-2005, 09:40
Norway, good health-care system and generally chilled out way of life (I'm told).

Adlan
05-09-2005, 09:43
I'd have to say Iceland, Vikings who make douglas adams part of the curriculum.

Yorkiebar
05-09-2005, 09:47
Either somewhere in Scandinavia, for the reasons mentioned by Kohna, or Russia, because of the huge landscape, history and vodka.

Snoozer
05-09-2005, 09:51
Finland or Sweden, I would just have to figure out which ones mine first and then vote for the other one :p

:D

Skink Master
05-09-2005, 09:54
Canada, for the sheer awesomeness of their landscape and the hotness of their women. That or South Africa, also for the hotness of their women.

Possibly Belgium too, also for the hotness of their women and the coolness of their guys.

Scotland is in there too. Just because.

But probably, the best country in the world besides my own (therefore, 2nd best :rolleyes: ) would have to be...

Germany! Because the languages kicks various amounts of posterior, they have Rammstein, and germans themselves are generally cool people.

lord_blackfang
05-09-2005, 09:56
Scandinavia for the citizen-friendlyness (health care, social support, human rights...)
Japan for a funky blending of total order with insane wackyness.

Inquis. Jaeger
05-09-2005, 09:58
I'm going to say the USA. I appreciate some of you may not agree, but the people are very friendly, the weather's great (in Cali anyway), food's good, it's pretty cheap, and the women ain't bad to look at.

Although the Czech Republic has some mighty good and cheap bars...

CELS
05-09-2005, 10:27
I'd say probably Canada. Seems to combine the best things from Scandinavia and North America. How could you go wrong with that?

Kohhna
05-09-2005, 10:33
I'd say probably Canada. Seems to combine the best things from Scandinavia and North America. How could you go wrong with that?
This is how (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10694&page=7&pp=10)

(see post 69)

:evilgrin:

Thud
05-09-2005, 10:49
Norway, good health-care system and generally chilled out way of life (I'm told).

You're kidding right?

I'm gonna go with Denmark. They are the greatest people in the world. And with me being Norwegian it means every Dane I run into is my best friend. :) (And also; cheap beer.)

sigur
05-09-2005, 10:50
I've also been told that Canada is quite a nice country, but I've never been there myself. Scandinavian countries also have a good reputation.

@Kohhna: There's quite a number of good/interesting canadian bands. The hidden Cameras spring to mind, or Frog's Eye or how they were called.

Vaya
05-09-2005, 10:55
(And also; cheap beer.)

Compared to Scandinavian countries, EVERY country serves cheap beer. :D

Thud
05-09-2005, 11:04
Compared to Scandinavian countries, EVERY country serves cheap beer. :D

Well, yes... But I'm used to paying three or four US$ for a pint. In shops... So, when in Denmark I can get a full crate for the same price as two pints here, I'm a happy camper. ;)

Vaya
05-09-2005, 11:07
Yeah, I know: meeting Scandinavians on holidays have accounted for brilliant moments in the past. When the prices are low, they tend to drink like the bars are going to be closed for the rest of the holidays, starting the day after. :D

One of the holidays with friends, we actually made a game of 'helping drunk Scandinavians find their hotel', complete with points values and prizes. ;)

Griefbringer
05-09-2005, 11:18
Well, Slovenia has been quite a nice place when I have visited it, so perhaps I should vote for that.

Besides, chances are that nobody else here has actually never been there, so nobody will be able to dispute my knowledge of the place.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
05-09-2005, 11:27
holland, everything is legal!!!

Gaebriel
05-09-2005, 11:33
The UK, because of an interesting history, and a huge lot of great literature (and games...).

CELS
05-09-2005, 11:35
Canada is the single most boring country in the world because they suck
LoL!

I'm a hobbit-type person. The most boring country in the world suits me just fine. If I get bored, I'll just go out in the forest and wrestle a grizzly bear or something.

The UK, because of an interesting history, and a huge lot of great literature (and games...).
You know, with all this modern technology and stuff, you can actually get access to that history and litterature outside the UK as well :p

Wiseman
05-09-2005, 13:26
i loved Uruguay when i was there

Adept
05-09-2005, 13:50
First, I'd have to say New Zealand. They're just like us, but smaller and with better mountains.

After that, I'd probably say the USA. I spent a few months there and found it to be, on average, a great place. Again, just like here but with different accents.

hairyman
05-09-2005, 13:59
Canada has alwats struck me as laid back and scenic, but I've never been there. Out of the countries I've visited I'd have to pick Holland... although it can veer from liberal into seedy pretty quickly... or Spain, as I know Madrid pretty well and feel at home there.

Sgt John Keel
05-09-2005, 14:00
Either Norway or ancient Rome. Or possibly the UK.

I want a country without dangerous animals, acceptable levels of civilization and technology. Obviously ancient Rome doesn't fit in to this, but it should have been interesting.

/Adrian

VanDoo
05-09-2005, 14:09
ROMA VICTOR!

-Great army (before the decline).
-Education
-The Games (Ok, a bit sick, but they sure beat reality TV!)
-The Pax Romana

Adept
05-09-2005, 14:33
And slaves. Don't forget the slaves!

tzeentchgiant
05-09-2005, 14:43
Canada initially, but I also would like to agree with Iceland, it's apparently pretty cool.

TG

Griefbringer
05-09-2005, 16:51
Iceland, it's apparently pretty cool

Literally so! :cool:

Trench_Raider
05-09-2005, 16:56
Probably the UK. They are a loyal ally with good people and a grand history. Had they hung onto their empire, in the post-war years I might even place them above my own...at least in importance and international influence.

"Trench Raider"

matteo16
05-09-2005, 16:58
France. Great food, sophisticated people, and a lot of culture

The Dragon Reborn
05-09-2005, 17:40
I am a big fan of anywhere with good skiing, so that makes alot of countrys good but none better than america

Sylass
05-09-2005, 17:45
I always had a thing for Spain (incl. & especially Mallorca, but only the areas that aren't full of idiots (typical dutch, english or german tourists you see invading the island)).

Beautiful landscape, nice weather (maybe a bit too hot in summer if you'd have to work there), Mediterranean Sea, great food (tasty & incredible healthy), nice people (in fact I never met a rude or non-friendly Spaniard there), goodlooking girls. What more would you want?

I think Spain is the country I'll move to one day. :)

Cade
05-09-2005, 18:22
All of the Scandinavian countries ae pretty cool.
Great social care, great people and some very serious drinking!

Crube
05-09-2005, 20:19
Hmmmm

Canada, cos many of my relatives have thought so and emigrated there

Scotland cos thats where we're moving to next year

Russia - vodka - nuff said...

Finland - Nightwish and Sonata Arctica...

Arrghh I dunno....

DisturbeD_
05-09-2005, 21:01
they have Rammstein.

Rammstein rule! :D
and i like turcky the people there are rellie noce either that or i went to the right places ther :P.

Lardidar
05-09-2005, 22:02
I always feel if I didn't call England home then I would live in Holland.

Delicious Soy
05-09-2005, 23:17
I'm nominating New Zealand, because its a round about way of nominating Australia :p

Shuya
06-09-2005, 00:49
Japan, id be one of the tallest people there