PDA

View Full Version : Vamp counts 2000pts Necrarch... pls comment!

EndlessBug
05-09-2005, 10:59
Lords

Vampire Lord - Necrarch, sword of unholy power, dark acolyte, crown of the damned (the ward save and stupidity one.. cant recall exact name), lvl 3

Heroes

Wight Lord - enchanted shield, heavy armour, sword of the kings

necromancer - lvl 2, 2 dispel scrolls

necromancer - lvl 2, power familiar

Core

25 Skeletons - full command

30 Zombies - std, mus

5 wolves

5 wolves

7 ghouls

7 ghouls

Special

25 Grave Guard - full command, banner of the barrows

Rare

Banshee

Power : 11 + sword
Dispel: 7 + sword
Scrolls: 2

TOTAL: 1999 pts

the necromancers would go either alone of in the skeleton and zombie units.

the lord and wight would probably go into the grave guard unit (the wight definately) though the lord might go with the skeletons.

is 2 units of 5 wolves better than 1 unit of 10?

please comment and criticise.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
05-09-2005, 12:30
I like it, i take it that u plan to do lots of raising. u have too many characters, a lord is a hero too. get rid of the wight or a necromance or have a count. with the spare points have another skellie unit.

EndlessBug
05-09-2005, 12:34
oh, oops.. didnt realise that... I'll lose the wight and Banshee maybe for a unit of 17 skeletons with full command... maybe make it 2 units of 21 instead of 25 and 17.

Sinew
05-09-2005, 15:35
Honestly I don't think I'd enjoy playing against your army much, it looks like you'd overpower me in the magic phase and look to raise at least as many troops as you already have by the time combat started. That said, it's an established VC tactic and your army looks quite well built for this purpose. The things you might consider tweaking:

- When I see Grave Guard in an Undead army I'm relieved. Their cost and the fact that they can't be raised makes shooting them much more worthwhile. Bearing in mind that you have stacks of raising potential why not get more troops that can be replaced in your magic phase and prevent the opponent gaining those VPs for the Grave Guard?

- You don't have much reach - apart from your magic, your banshee and 2 units of dire wolves it's all infantry. Armies that don't like to commit to combat really won't be put under much pressure. Some bats would help, as would more dire wolves.

- Think about where you're hiding your necromancers. An army with mage hunting units like Warhawks, Terradons, Pegasus Knights, Great Eagles etc will try to take them out as they're so essential to your game plan.

And yes, 2 units of 5 dire wolves will be better than 1 unit of 10. Numbers are less important to these units as you may sacrifice them for a tactical advantage a lot of the time, for instance by allowing them to be charged to pull an enemy unit out of line. Also with Unit Strength 2 per dire wolf you can cancel ranks with just 3, so split the units up and increase the chances of pulling off the charge.

DisturbeD_
05-09-2005, 15:41
try to put mage in woods that way flying units take long 2 get to them as they can't land in woods so have 2 us their ground movement usaly 1 unless a deamon, and also alot of the vc spells do not need line of sight so you dont' need to move out rellie :D

fubukii
05-09-2005, 20:17
ehhh drop the magic wpn on the count and get something else. VC magical wpns arent worth it

EndlessBug
06-09-2005, 10:57
NEW LIST:

Lords

Vampire Lord - Necrarch, master of the dark arts, dark acolyte, crown of the damned, Forbidden lore, lvl 3

Heroes

necromancer - lvl 2, 2 dispel scrolls

necromancer - lvl 2, power familiar

Core

24 Skeletons - full command

30 Zombies - std, mus

24 Skeletons - full command

5 wolves

5 wolves

7 ghouls

7 ghouls

Special

4 fell bats

4 fell bats

4 fell bats

Rare

Banshee

Power : 11
Dispel: 7
Scrolls: 2 (maybe 1)

TOTAL: 1997 pts

One last thing... should I keep 2 scrolls or make it into 1 scroll and the book of Arkhan?

Tormentor of Slaanesh
06-09-2005, 11:57
one scroll and the book, its sooo good.
U have no hard hitters anymore. maybe a small knight unit?

Sinew
06-09-2005, 14:29
U have no hard hitters anymore. maybe a small knight unit? Doubt you'll need it, your army isn't aiming to win by hitting hard so much as by magic and encircling the enemy in an ever growing undead horde! The army looks pretty nasty now - the bats will ensure that no war machines, chariots, lone wizards or skirmishers can trouble you beyond turn 2. I'd say the power familiar was more expendible than a dispel scroll (there are HE armies out there who will have more power dice than you!) if you want the book of Arkhan.

EndlessBug
06-09-2005, 15:41
ok so maybe 3 dispel scrolls and a book?

or stick with 2 scrolls and a familiar?

MarcoPollo
07-09-2005, 03:37
Your new list looks extremely nast. The fell bats will keep his units in "slow mode" and all your raising will surely mess up his movement and combat. Careful against flyers and ambushing beastmen. If you loose your characters your toast.

Remember, necharch are -2 ws (ws 5 on lord).

Alco Engineer
07-09-2005, 03:49
I don't neccisarily agree with the other posters about losing the Grave guard. sure people like to shoot them, so put some zombies in front og them for a turn or 2. Grave guard are always scary for (most) opposing characters as no matter how good they are killing blow will fix the right up. It's also awesome if you find yourself against knights etc as zombies and skellies won't put up much of a fight. I usually take either Grave guard or knights as IMO you need at least 1 hard hitting unit in the game or otherwise you're just giving you opponent lots of combat res (since zombies are so easy to take down)

Be wary of relying on raising troops. The games that I go in and that's my battle plan I always find myself miscasting and draining the casting pool which puts you up the creek without a paddle. Sure a couple of fast unit (I agree 2*5 Dire wolves are much more effective than 1*10)

Don't stress to hard about the characters. If you're against War machines just put them with your troops or summon some minions around them if they're getting in trouble.

Just a few thoughts to consider....